The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   71' Blazer Rust bucket build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=507040)

richard2717 02-24-2012 08:28 AM

Re: 71' Blazer Rust bucket build

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridnhi (Post 5208878)
Thats quite a collection 2 1/2 blazers!! are you planning on fixing up just one or moe than one? Good luck!

Still have not made concrete plans but intention is to recycle all the good parts off of the blue one to help rebuild the black one and green one.

I want to restore the green one back to almost the exact stance it is now. Will probably go back same color and all.

The black 71', since it has been butchered already with the tall lift, it is still up in the air. Either way I am going to do the metal work and paint, the question is do I drop it to 2wd and really drop it or do I leave it lifted and resell it? If it stays lifted it will not stay in the family as I like to drive what I own. At the height that it is, it gives me anal glaucoma, cause I can't see my big A$$ climbing up in that thing. I am not as young as I used to be. :haha::haha::haha:

richard2717 02-24-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5208920)
WOwsers....from 1 to 3 in a hurry ;) Looking forward to seeing what you do with these...like the 2wd SLAM idea ;) The 4wd frame gets you lower than a 2wd would...but if you do a BIG notch...that doesn't matter ;)

I'd be interested in the plates as wall art ;) I have a few nice 72 pairs...they actually want them clean/good white paint or they won't let us run them here (according to DMV)

Looks like some really nice parts from the last two blazers...

I would only lower it as low as I could go without notching. My comfort area is in body & paint. I can do suspension and all but only have limited experience in it. I plan to read up on the site before tackling anything like that. I also have found another board member that is doing the same thing that lives close enough to visit ;) should I go that way.

As soon as I figure out what i am doing with the plates I will let you have 1st dibs on them. Other than wall art, they have no value to me unless someone has a set of 68' 71' or 72' MD plates that I could use on either the panel truck or one of the blazers. They are getting harder to come by, for sure.

Richard

richard2717 02-24-2012 08:50 AM

I did get the blue one unloaded last night and in the garage. I started stripping and inventory on the parts. To be as rotten as the sheetmetal was I am suprised at how nice a lot of the other parts are.It had a 80-85 350 4bmain engine .30 over in it, 350 turbo trans. and 205 transfer case. I found tickets in the folder he gave me that say the transmission was just rebuilt last year.

Even with all these Blazers I still don't have any rear floor sections that are good. I am going to start looking for some pickup beds to modify I guess.

Richard

richard2717 02-24-2012 09:10 AM

Upon closer inspection last night, I trashed the front fenders as well. Looked good laying there but upon closer inspection they were all fiberglass. took the mouldings, emblems & clips off and tossed them on the scrap pile. Hood appears to be perfect except for one small rust hole on front lip about the size of my pinky. Have not had the chance to really study it to see if things are "well hidden". There is no hiding the rust in the lower doors though, pretty nasty. They have some decent parts on them so I will most likely part and label for future use. I may keep the doors around to play with installing lower skins on.
Tailgate is perfect except for the swiss cheese pattern across the lower 4" portion. Looks like new wall art to me. :haha:
WIndshield frame has two spots in it right where the top cap of weather strip screws on. The main top bar and both pillars are solid. Has a nice tinted windshield in it, too bad the wiper left a big scratch on the driver side.
Front and rear seats are originals that have been recovered in cloth. THe rear floor section must have been super rusted out since the rear floor brackets on the rear seats are totally rotted. front seats and brackets look good.

Front grill needs polishing but no nick, scratches or dents and the inner grill is not broken anywhere that I can see.

This is the 1st one that has had a single wall top with it. Top is in real good shape as is the hatch. I have not tried the key in the lock yet. This one also had the polished stainless carpet strips as well that are in A1 shape. There were only 3 pcs in with all of the stuff so I assume one pcs is missing. two of the pcs look as if they go up on the top rails above the wheel wells and one looks like it is either front or rear floos strip. I would guess it to be the front one.
Hope to finish breaking it down tonight so i can get the chassis outside.

Richard

richard2717 02-24-2012 09:12 AM

WOwsers....from 1 to 3 in a hurry

Funny thing is the blue one was within a mile of where I purchased the black one, and after talking with the guy he actually looked at my black one before deciding to go with the blue one.

richard2717 02-28-2012 02:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
For the blue blazer to have as rusty a sheet metal that it does I was suprised at how nice the frame is. THere is only one spot of pitting on the top of the rear frame horn by the body mount. There were also quite a few nice body parts as well. I have been disassembling the rig all week, labeling and cleaning up all of the parts. Once I figure out what I don't need I will be posting quite a few things up for sale.

richard2717 03-07-2012 06:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well got another set of tires and rims yesterday for cheap/ Tires are no good but they hold air. Rims look like new. 15x10. Stuck two of them on the 71' today just to see if they fit. they are 15x38.5x15 tires. I did not think they would fit but dang ... still lots of gap to the fenders. Not sure if it would turn all the way to lock but they sure look better than the rusty chrome rims she came with.

richard2717 03-07-2012 06:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The weather is starting to get nicer and I am itching to get started working on them but I am building an ATV trailer for a buddy of mine hope to get it out and done this weekend. here is a progress pic. It will have an expanded metal deck with a rear and side gate so he can load two atvs on it.

Trailer started life as a 20' dual axle travel trailer that was wrecked. I cut it down to 12' single axle

68panelman 03-07-2012 07:48 PM

The blazer looks good with the 38s, Yes the warm weather is arriveing, But i'm still skeptical, We have had snowstorms in early April up here.

richard2717 03-07-2012 11:37 PM

I kinda wish we would get a decent snowfall. I have not put the blade on the bobcat all year which means less truck money.

richard2717 03-12-2012 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well made a little bit of progress today. Cleaned up the garage enough to get the green 72' inside. I have a freind coming over Thursday to help me get it running. I went and got all new cap, rotor, points and condenser to put on it since it is not firing. Spent 50 bucks at Napa and put it all on. Got done and still no fire. Have not messed with points in over 25 years so out the book came. Figured coil was bad, but instead of throwing more parts at it I figured I would do the process. Long story short, I pulled the cap back off so I could bump it over to open the points for a coil power test and noticed that the points are not opening at all. The distributor looks almost brand new but the only thing that spins is the rotor, I moved the points around as much as the slots would let me but still nothing. Went into the shop and pulled the HEI out of the other small block I had sitting but it looked like it would not go in since the motor sits so close to the firewall. Anyway, my buddy will be here Thursday to figure out what is wrong, he is a wizard when it comes to motors. I will stick with the sheet metal :lol:

richard2717 03-20-2012 09:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well took a break from the trailer build tonight and worked on stripping out the interior of the 72'. All things considered it looks pretty good inside. I pulled out all the existing floor patches so I could get an idea to the extent of the damages. first picture is an update of the trailer I am building for my buddy. Gotta get it done since it is financing parts for the 72'.
2nd thru 5th pictures are shots of the 72' interior striped out.

richard2717 03-20-2012 09:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics of the interior

richard2717 03-20-2012 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought this was pretty neat. I never saw it until tonight. Moss growing on the inside if the passenger window.

richard2717 03-20-2012 10:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me if I will need to do any cushion work to this seat before I could put new covers over it?

richard2717 03-26-2012 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well a good news bad news kind of day.Good news is 2 of my shiny dog dish caps came in today/

richard2717 03-26-2012 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bad news is I found more cover up by previous owner. I knew the DS winshield pillar had fiberglass on the outside but it looked like it was minimal at first until I started picking at it. Well, all I can say is I am glad I bought the blue one for parts. Looks as if I will need to do a lot of spot weld drilling at this point. Someone cut out alarge section of the windshield post and replaced it with .032 aluminum.It is wierd because all of thedamage is limited to the outside skin from what I can see. Oh well whats one more piece to replace.

dujobu 03-28-2012 10:25 PM

Can't wait to get down and see your 3 (!) Blazers Richard. Will definitely be down there some this summer.

richard2717 03-29-2012 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dujobu (Post 5281057)
Can't wait to get down and see your 3 (!) Blazers Richard. Will definitely be down there some this summer.

THat's cool I am around most of the time. I just finished up the trailer build that was in the way & delivered it this morning. Gives me rocker box money:bann::bann::bann:once I get them I can get down to business :five:

Richard

richard2717 04-17-2012 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well was able to get the donor winshield frame pulled apart in one piece. The only bad spot in the whole panel is the very bottom of the pillar. I have a replacement pc. on the way here. I still have not decided if i am going to remove the whole inside and outside section from the green one or just pull the outer skin from both. It looks like the green one must have sat in the woods with leaves and such trapped between the door and pillar for an extended time. All of the rust is from the outside in. I guess I wont really know until I get it all apart. I have the rocker boxes and other misc. pcs. I needed on order and hope to have them here early next week. I am going to get all that in before the windshield pillar gets replaced so I can keep everything in place ( I hope)

richard2717 04-17-2012 02:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
While I was pulling the frame apart I came across this bracket. Not sure what it is unless it was for a speaker to attach to. It never had anything attached to it I suppose since the speed nuts have no marks on them. I assume someone on the line put it on forgetting it was a Blazer with no speaker grill in the dash and just did not take it back out.

Attachment 909996

I was even able to save the dash completely and got the spot welds separated with no distortion. My black blazer has been hacked up so I may save this one to put in it.

Attachment 909997

Attachment 909998

dujobu 04-17-2012 02:38 PM

Very nice Richard. Keep it up!

richard2717 04-17-2012 08:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Dusty

Well I have been undecided on a tire wheel combo for this Blazer for some time now. I keep going back and forth on different rim choices. All i do know positively is that it will be old school type rims, no 20's for me. Just never cared for the style.

Attachment 910255

Anyway, when I purchased the last Blazer it had a set of Rally's with good center caps(cleaning up real nice) but the center 4x4 foils were non existent. I did not like the looks of the 4x4 decals anyway so I had all but written them off for the build. I was at my desk a few weeks ago and said to myself, hey dummy you own a sign shop design your own center decals and see what happens soooo....... this is what I came up with. It is digitally printed high performance vinyl that I have applied a poly urethane clear doming gel over to protect it and give it more of a three dimensional look. I may have to shoot a nice coat of silver urethane on the rims and keep em around as a third set LOL

Attachment 910256

richard2717 04-19-2012 02:24 PM

The Blazer Gods must be with me today I think i just scored a rust free rear floor

72Blazing 04-19-2012 06:15 PM

I saw that on the sale board. Nice score. It will save you a ton of time.

richard2717 04-21-2012 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well 754 miles round trip with 2/3rds of it in the rain but I went and got the rust free rear floor section. WhenI got it in the garage and unloaded I even towel dried it .:D

Only close call I had was some dude from NY cut me off and the rear end of the truck broke sideways at 60 mph in the rain:eek: Not to worry though I put my best Tony Stewart dirt track moves in motion and passed him on the outside fer the win.:burnout:

All my other parts should be here Wed. including rocker boxes and floor pans then I can get down to business

Richard

jaros44sr 04-22-2012 07:46 AM

Yeah, that was a heck of a rain storm last night, i hate ny drivers:lol:

Great score on the floorboard, now i can watch what you do with it.....soooo, you own a sign shop, i need some decals made;) nice work on the ones you made

notsolo 04-22-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 5328334)
Well 754 miles round trip with 2/3rds of it in the rain but I went and got the rust free rear floor section. WhenI got it in the garage and unloaded I even towel dried it .:D

Only close call I had was some dude from NY cut me off and the rear end of the truck broke sideways at 60 mph in the rain:eek: Not to worry though I put my best Tony Stewart dirt track moves in motion and passed him on the outside fer the win.:burnout:

All my other parts should be here Wed. including rocker boxes and floor pans then I can get down to business

Richard

Way to go Richard...nice base to build on.

richard2717 04-22-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 5328783)
Way to go Richard...nice base to build on.

Thanks Ed, hope to get started real soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 5328779)
Yeah, that was a heck of a rain storm last night, i hate ny drivers:lol:

Tell me about it. It seems like I was on the edge of it for the whole 7 hours back

Great score on the floorboard, now i can watch what you do with it.....soooo, you own a sign shop, i need some decals made;) nice work on the ones you made

I have a real nice 60" digital printer that I printed, the decals above , out on. Just went to print a couple customer jobs the other day and it seems the usb port has broken away from the mother board on the printer and now it wont talk to the computer. Leave it to good ole HP to attach the port directly to the board. Now I have to spend a couple gran to replace the entire board.
What kinda decals are you needing?

Richard

jaros44sr 04-22-2012 01:08 PM

I would like to mimic the old corvette script on the valve covers, and two large GMC for the back sides of my truck in green, how large and how small can you make them

Something like this

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...422_140444.jpg

rsavage 04-22-2012 01:13 PM

I could use a couple of those blue bowtie decals that you made to replace the 4X4 decal on my 6 lug center caps. Let me know how much if you are interested. Thanks. (sorry for stepping in line too Jim).

jaros44sr 04-22-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsavage (Post 5329230)
I could use a couple of those blue bowtie decals that you made to replace the 4X4 decal on my 6 lug center caps. Let me know how much if you are interested. Thanks. (sorry for stepping in line too Jim).

:lol:thats funny, cause i was editting my post, when your name pops up, im thinking where the heck did i post this one

Good looking decals, will look sharp on that already outstanding build you did!

OK! We now return control of Richards build thread,lol

richard2717 04-22-2012 06:28 PM

Jim
Are you just wanting Vinyl cut out lettering? if so I can cut them as small as about 1/4" tall although I really hate weeding stuff that small. I can go way bigger than what the back of your truck is LOL What color green are you looking for? Let me look to see if I already have the Corvette script on file. If not I may have to search for it. I will take a look in the morning when I go in.

Richard

richard2717 04-22-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsavage (Post 5329230)

PM sent

jaros44sr 04-22-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 5329752)
Jim
Are you just wanting Vinyl cut out lettering? if so I can cut them as small as about 1/4" tall although I really hate weeding stuff that small. I can go way bigger than what the back of your truck is LOL What color green are you looking for? Let me look to see if I already have the Corvette script on file. If not I may have to search for it. I will take a look in the morning when I go in.

Richard

Can you make it in one piece, all connected, like the script. Looking for something sticky on one side, to install on a flat surface of my valve covers

dujobu 04-22-2012 08:38 PM

I would think a vinyl decal would melt in the engine bay, wouldn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 5330025)
Can you make it in one piece, all connected, like the script. Looking for something sticky on one side, to install on a flat surface of my valve covers

richard2717 04-22-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 5330025)

If your wanting to put it on top of the actual script that is on the valve cover, I would want either the actual valve covers or a paper rubbing so that I could get it matched properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dujobu (Post 5330042)
I would think a vinyl decal would melt in the engine bay, wouldn't it?

Vinyl has come a long way in the last five years or so.

jaros44sr 04-22-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 5330137)
If your wanting to put it on top of the actual script that is on the valve cover, I would want either the actual valve covers or a paper rubbing so that I could get it matched properly.

Vinyl has come a long way in the last five years or so.

I want to take the image of that script, and lay it on a flat surface of another valve cover. Ill take a pic. of where i want to put it

jaros44sr 04-23-2012 08:09 AM

Richard, here is the surface that i want to put the corvette script on....

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...419_104946.jpg

richard2717 04-23-2012 08:16 AM

Jim,
I sent you an email

Richard