The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Project Underfunded / next phase - LSx carb'd to LSx efi (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=516518)

jfortvalley 04-29-2012 03:12 PM

Re: Project Underfunded / next phase - LSx carb'd to LSx efi

do you have the fuel pressure sensor wired in to the pcm if so its supposed to come on untill the rail is pressurized and then shutoff when the crank sensor reads that the engine is running under its own power

68GMCCustom 04-29-2012 03:31 PM

don't think this harness has a fuel pressure sensor???

jfortvalley 04-29-2012 03:33 PM

is the computer programmed for a fule pressure sensor ?

mcmlxix 04-29-2012 03:42 PM

not sure this helps, but when you key on, the fuel pump cycles to build pressure, then doent actually run till the engine is started...

68GMCCustom 04-29-2012 04:15 PM

not building a full 56psi in roughly 2 seconds tho.... Using the Corvette filter/regulator which doesn't have a sensor/electronics. I don't have anything on the manifold but a MAP sensor and the TB hookup. Nothing on rails but a schrader valve....so nowhere is something "electronically verifying" the fuel pressure...just the mechanical regulator in the Corvette filter/regulator

jfortvalley 04-29-2012 04:19 PM

I would still say this is built in to the computer have you gotten far along enough to crank the motor yet ?

68GMCCustom 04-29-2012 04:23 PM

sure...no fire. add something flammable to the intake and it tries to start.

jfortvalley 04-29-2012 04:27 PM

when the relay KICKS out have you verified whether the 12 volts is being pulled away or the ground ?

jfortvalley 04-29-2012 04:31 PM

oh and i use noid light to verify the injectors are firing

68GMCCustom 04-29-2012 04:48 PM

has to be the +12v....thats the only wire for that relay that needed to be terminated....to + on pump.

jfortvalley 04-29-2012 10:33 PM

just because it was the only wire terminated doesnt mean you shouldnt verify both (their both in the socket) takes 2 seconds with a dvom

usmcchevy 04-29-2012 10:50 PM

That is the way the fuel pump is suppose to act. Verify you have 12v at the injectors and make sure you can make a test light pulse when probing the injectors and cranking. If both of those check out, I would bet on clogged injectors.

68GMCCustom 04-29-2012 11:00 PM

the pump (-) is grounded to the frame. The lead coming from relay is +12v.
Don't have a test light...just a multi-meter. I'll check the injectors for +12v.

gringoloco 04-30-2012 12:22 AM

2-3 seconds when you turn the key to RUN or START? Pump should prime in key on (RUN) for a few secs then turn off. If it pumps for a few secs after starting then cuts off, you likely have a VATS issue. What wire did you use from the truck to power the fuel pump relay?

You can check for voltage at the injector plug with a noid light or DVM while cranking. Also, if they're working, when you pull a plug, you'll know it from the flooded cylinder. Could be a case of the common stuck LS injector. If so, soak 'em in SeaFoam to clean out the gummy ethanol deposits...

Good luck- keep us posted
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

mcbassin 04-30-2012 08:37 AM

What did your fuel rails come from? was it used setup? Did you disassemble the rails from the intectors when you mounted the intake on the engine? Not that yours has the same problem but both of my rails were full of old gas and it would run until I cleaned all that gas out.

68GMCCustom 04-30-2012 01:03 PM

had dirty fuel that I flushed with new via draining at the schrader valve. Pump stops in run and start as motor never fires over yet don't hear the pump. Need to verify these injectors are firing and pushing fuel I guess

68GMCCustom 04-30-2012 03:15 PM

well I found a loose/unterminated connector, at the cam sensor. after that with a little more messing around on the fuel side I got it to start with some starter fluid. ran for a bit and quit. did the same thing a couple of times, each with the same result. tried to work the throttle once and it was like the TB didn't even get the message.... :lol

checking voltage at the injector showed 12v w/key on, then dropped a little while starter was active? If there's a "pulse" my multimeter can't catch it
sound like I have a VAT issue...or a bunch of bad injectors...or both.

mcbassin 04-30-2012 04:26 PM

I don't think a DMM will catch the voltage. You have to use a light if I'm not mistaken.

68GMCCustom 04-30-2012 05:44 PM

More I think about it...I'm guessing it needs a crank relearn. This ecm is new to the motor...and maybe they're just not in sync?

mcbassin 04-30-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 5345409)
More I think about it...I'm guessing it needs a crank relearn. This ecm is new to the motor...and maybe they're just not in sync?

Any luck confirming you are getting fuel through the injectors? I'm wondering if you could disconnect the plug wires and crank it and see if you have any fuel on your plugs?

usmcchevy 04-30-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 5345409)

It should still run without a relearn, you would just have a check engine light. Try cranking for a while and pull a plug, is it wet? I'm still betting on clogged injectors.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lower 05-01-2012 10:44 PM

I have a full set of injectors, if you need them let me know. Have you checked to make sure the plug next to the starter is plugged in? If you have any friends at a mechanics shop you could ask them to borrow their injector pulse tester.

mcbassin 05-01-2012 10:50 PM

Any news Kurt?

68GMCCustom 05-02-2012 12:21 PM

Had me do the security/crank relearn which didn't seem to help. I need to pull some things today and figure out whats going on...and they're supposed to call me back again today for support.

I need to order a trans too. Needed to sell some stuff 1st tho. Think I'll hit the wife up for some funds... :lol:

mac72 05-02-2012 02:31 PM

Kurt,You definitly need a noid light to test the pcm output & if you get a decent flash from all connectors I would get an OTC injector tester,Its a handy tool to own if you mess w/ injectors.Theres 2 versions one cheap & one expensive the cheap one will work fine for what your doing.How it works is you pressurize the fuel syst. by cycling the key,unplug the injector & plug in the tester,hook the other leads to the batt. & hit the button while monitoring the press. drop on your guage,this will tell give you a good flow/no flow diag. you can also compare it to other injectors for flow rate.Both of these tools are inexpensive,definitive & are good add. to the tool box

68GMCCustom 05-04-2012 05:15 PM

Well....I ordered my new "electronic" transmission for switching to efi. I understand the 6speed wasn't as good for "racing"...so I ordered 19156257...a GMPP 4L85e. Got a 1350 yoke for it too. New trans and yoke for my "well it was new when I put it in" 6.0L. :lol:

Funny thing after pulling the trigger................can't wait until it gets here now!

chevytruckluver 05-07-2012 11:57 PM

Hi Kurt, just getting up to date with your build again.
Any luck getting it started yet?
I have an older TPI that was acting the same way, would run if you sprayed some berryman's through it but when that ran out...nothing. (old injectors)
I ended up pulling the injectors and fuel rail off setting them off to the side and then pressurizing the rail with the pump and then using a 9 volt battery to fire the injectors, pulsing the power to each one several times. I had 3 that would do nothing and another 2 that dripped under pressure so I just got a new set, installed those and she fired up.

68GMCCustom 05-08-2012 12:24 AM

Hey Trey...nope not running but I haven't been working on it other then to install a temporary shelf for the ecm/tcm and mounting them and working on some wiring. Called the harness builder/tuner and he is sending me 4 more injectors. On examination I noticed I had two different types...let him know and he said he'd send out some more. I'll have to try something like that with the injectors and the rail off the intake.

I may wind up buying all new injectors at some point for piece of mind....but would like to get it running with what he provides. Kind of waiting on the new 4L85e! Guess I ought to get off my butt and pull the 200-4r :lol:

68GMCCustom 05-09-2012 10:23 PM

Got the 4 injectors in the mail this morning so did some tinkering this afternoon. Thanks for the 9v battery idea!

Short story....injectors are not firing and I am sending the ecm and tcm back to the tuner at his request.

chevytruckluver 05-09-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 5372188)
Got the 4 injectors in the mail this morning so did some tinkering this afternoon. Thanks for the 9v battery idea!

Short story....injectors are not firing and I am sending the ecm and tcm back to the tuner at his request.

I know its frustrating but at least you have a direction to go and you have a vendor willing to help get the problem corrected.
keep us up to date

68GMCCustom 05-16-2012 08:45 PM

well I sent off my ecm & tcm...got them back today...installed them and tried to fire it up and my injectors still aren't firing. Tuner wants me to send it back with the harness....oh well, waiting (trans ready, they're waiting on 1350 yoke to ship) on my new 4L85e from Pace Performance anyway. :lol:

mcbassin 05-16-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 5384624)
well I sent off my ecm & tcm...got them back today...installed them and tried to fire it up and my injectors still aren't firing. Tuner wants me to send it back with the harness....oh well, waiting (trans ready, they're waiting on 1350 yoke to ship) on my new 4L85e from Pace Performance anyway. :lol:

Too bad about the issues with the injectors. It really sucks you have to pull the harness and send it back. Sounds like good news on the tranny though:)

68GMCCustom 05-16-2012 11:37 PM

yeah I'm about ready to go back carb'd.........but I sold my intake and ignition box! :lol:

85burb 05-16-2012 11:41 PM

Maybe your motor is rebelling against the efi.
Posted via Mobile Device

68GMCCustom 05-17-2012 12:08 AM

...but for swapping over I got it a new trans and everything! :lol:

here's what I'm waiting for: 4L85e
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Asse...1098_large.jpg

68Stepbed 05-17-2012 07:04 AM

I don't think that trans will work too well with half the case missing. :haha: Just messin. Let us know how well the new trans works. Also, if there's any difference than the 200-4R.

68GMCCustom 05-17-2012 10:29 AM

Will do. The 200-4r was a great trans in 1st and 2nd, and cruising....but just wouldn't hold the power for a WOT 3rd gear shift. I think had I started with a Grand National 200-4r, or at least that valve body and governor from one, it would have performed better. That and I couldn't ever get it sealed (3 or 4 new rear seals and 2 new gaskets, then an aluminum trans pan upgrade with another gasket....its still leaking fluid on my floor.

I'll be glad to have a trans that's truly built for abuse...and hopefully holds its fluid too. :lol:

68GMCCustom 05-17-2012 07:57 PM

ecm, tcm, and harness all pulled and shipped back to the tuner. Really surprised me how quick it came out. Anyway he's gonna do a full checkup on everything with it hooked up to a test motor they have...and promised a quick turnaround on it.

Whatever he sends me should be OK....so if I hook it all up and it still won't start...... I'll be thinking I suck as a mechanic worse then I thought. :lol:

4L85e should be shipping out today or tomorrow....so with any luck I'll have it all back together, the drive shaft measured and modified, and up and running for next weekend? Make a few passes? My luck it'll rain!

68GMCCustom 05-18-2012 09:46 PM

contact at Pace emailed today that they finally got my Hughes 1350 yoke and are ready to ship my new trans....but since the yoke got there late...they won't ship till Monday.... :banghead:

I did get my NOID kit in! That and a DC test light, a grommet kit, a Hughes dipstick for my 4L85e, a Jiffy-tite -6 AN quick disconnect kit, 3/8" s.s. hose, 1/4" s.s. hose, various black AN fittings, and ARP torque convertor bolts....and an all important transmission adapter for my floor jack. I don't wanna drop that big brute on an arm or hand or something. :lol:

http://www.lsxtrucks.com/gallery/alb...l_IMG_2791.JPG

BigDan3131 05-19-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 5385569)
Will do. The 200-4r was a great trans in 1st and 2nd, and cruising....but just wouldn't hold the power for a WOT 3rd gear shift. I think had I started with a Grand National 200-4r, or at least that valve body and governor from one, it would have performed better. That and I couldn't ever get it sealed (3 or 4 new rear seals and 2 new gaskets, then an aluminum trans pan upgrade with another gasket....its still leaking fluid on my floor.

I'll be glad to have a trans that's truly built for abuse...and hopefully holds its fluid too. :lol:

So...who built the 200R4? Was it you? Art Carr builds them quite well, with or without lockup convertors. http://www.cpttransmission.com/index.htm