The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Ls swap radiator (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=601424)

Billett 03-11-2014 09:31 AM

Re: Ls swap radiator

What size splicer? Depends on the rad hose you picked up. If you mean the port on the splicer then I'm not actually sure, you'd have to measure the steam port hose from the TB

ivorton74 03-11-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billett (Post 6569224)
What size splicer? Depends on the rad hose you picked up. If you mean the port on the splicer then I'm not actually sure, you'd have to measure the steam port hose from the TB

I need to get the size for both the rad hose and the steam vent hose. I got the Silverado 5.3 top rad hose.

BlueRidgeMountainDew 08-29-2014 10:37 AM

What's the idea with adding the steam port?

SparkyRnD 08-29-2014 11:26 AM

some people tap their waterpump for the steam tube to connect to, but we prefer to install that in our radiators. You are more likely to have a waterpump go bad than a rad, and if you are out away from home when it happens, the odds of you having a drill and tap in the truck is unlikely. We include them in all LS conversion radiators at no charge, unless the customer doesn't want the port.

Naught 03-10-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenbear72 (Post 6432595)
I'm most likely going with the Rnd radiator and shroud, Sparky told me I should have no issues with it.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...%20c10/rad.jpg

What is that top hose off of in the picture? I have the same style radiator with the top hose on passenger side and i'm having trouble finding the right hose that fits.

fast&low 03-12-2015 09:17 PM

Hello Naught
What upper radiator hose are you using?
Came up on this posting looking for one that would work for my swap.
Hose brand & part number would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

earl84 03-12-2015 10:20 PM

Wow, that's a crazy upper hose, Blackpony, but it obviously works.

Matt Cramer 03-13-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl84 (Post 7087989)
Wow, that's a crazy upper hose, Blackpony, but it obviously works.

That appears to be a factory mid 2000s upper radiator hose from a LS powered Chevy Silverado. It's what I have in my truck too.

fast&low 03-13-2015 10:04 AM

Yes that's what it is but anyone know what hose Naught is running for his upper hose?

Naught 03-15-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast&low (Post 7087880)
Hello Naught
What upper radiator hose are you using?
Came up on this posting looking for one that would work for my swap.
Hose brand & part number would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

That's not my pic. I'm trying to find out myself what hose that is.

fast&low 03-15-2015 05:52 PM

Oh ok yeah really like to know I'll keep looking on the web if I fined something I'll let you know & if you do plz do the same.
Thx for responding

Naught 03-17-2015 03:15 PM

I'm using a Griffin CU-70013-LS Radiator. Both lower and upper hoses are on passenger side. I have a lower hose that will work but having trouble finding an upper hose.

fast&low 03-17-2015 03:37 PM

Yeah I'm just going to give up & move on to the upper hose on the drivers side & just run a 02 Chevy Avalanche upper hose.
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a RnD LS swap radiator with electronic fans.
They can build it the way I want it & for 710.00 shipped to my front door.
I was just looking for a cleaner look but it's just not working out.
Thank you for all your time & I hope you have better luck than I did.
Almost forgot what lower hose are you useing & are you useing a LS truck motor?

trkfrk 03-17-2015 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fast&low (Post 7094380)
Yeah I'm just going to give up & move on to the upper hose on the drivers side & just run a 02 Chevy Avalanche upper hose.
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a RnD LS swap radiator with electronic fans.

Here are the Napa part numbers for my upper and lower hoses. I'm running a Griffen with both inlet/outlet on the passenger side.

trkfrk 03-17-2015 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Radiator pic

fast&low 03-17-2015 06:17 PM

Hello trkfrk
Nice setup you have there buddy!! :metal:
I don't know if there is any difference on the water pump side between your LS1 & my LQ9 6.0 truck motor?
Do you think these hoses would work on my truck motor?
I'm more familure with the truck motors.

trkfrk 03-17-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast&low (Post 7094582)
Hello trkfrk
Nice setup you have there buddy!! :metal:
I don't know if there is any difference on the water pump side between your LS1 & my LQ9 6.0 truck motor?
Do you think these hoses would work on my truck motor?
I'm more familure with the truck motors.

I believe the water pumps are different for the upper hose. The best way to Identify the hoses you need is to draw out the dimensions you would like your hose to be with overall lengths and bends. Go to a Napa store and ask them for a hose book and go by dimensions and not by application. This is how I found my hoses. I will see if I can find the Napa book in a PDF. Hope this helps...

trkfrk 03-17-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't give up on finding the right hoses if I were you, especially since you're ordering such a nice radiator. Having the inlet/outlet both on the passenger side makes it look a lot cleaner and less connections (potential leaks). It's one thing if you already have a radiator, but since you're having one built it would be worth the extra effort.

fast&low 03-17-2015 09:12 PM

Yes it helps & thank you for your time

Naught 03-17-2015 09:45 PM

Quote:

I sent you the info on the top hose. It's the top hose for a 97 SS Z28 Camaro.

Naught 03-17-2015 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my setup. The top hose is a Gates 21439

fast&low 03-17-2015 09:52 PM

Cool you guys have been great & thank you greatly appreciated :metal:

fast&low 03-17-2015 09:55 PM

Naught what motor is that?

Naught 03-18-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast&low (Post 7094975)
Naught what motor is that?

LS2 out of 2006 GTO, Oil pan and accessories are off of a 2002 Chevy truck.

mcmlxix 05-12-2015 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trkfrk (Post 7094552)
Here are the Napa part numbers for my upper and lower hoses. I'm running a Griffen with both inlet/outlet on the passenger side.

Hey Mark...
I think I'm going to go with the Griffin LS swap radiator as well... How do you like it? Weld quality and Overall quality? Does it have any mounting points? Is the steam port threaded?
Thanks

trkfrk 05-12-2015 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 7168715)
Hey Mark...
I think I'm going to go with the Griffin LS swap radiator as well... How do you like it? Weld quality and Overall quality? Does it have any mounting points? Is the steam port threaded?
Thanks

Rich,

You won't regret your purchase. It's pricey but you will be happy you spent the extra money. The quality is top notch. Even the fan shroud is welded very well. Yes, the steam port is threaded. I ended up taking the supplied aluminum nipple out and replacing it with a brass nipple with Teflon sealant. Also, make sure your running at least a 30 amp fuse/relays. Those 16" Spal fans pull around 25 amps on start up. Post some pics after your install.
Thanks,

mcmlxix 05-14-2015 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trkfrk (Post 7169047)
Rich,

You won't regret your purchase. It's pricey but you will be happy you spent the extra money. The quality is top notch. Even the fan shroud is welded very well. Yes, the steam port is threaded. I ended up taking the supplied aluminum nipple out and replacing it with a brass nipple with Teflon sealant. Also, make sure your running at least a 30 amp fuse/relays. Those 16" Spal fans pull around 25 amps on start up. Post some pics after your install.
Thanks,

I already have a fan and my harness wired, so I don't need their fan assembly. I would like to see how they attach the shroud as I would have to come up with my own.... Maybe I can come take a look some weekend?

trkfrk 05-14-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 7171307)
I already have a fan and my harness wired, so I don't need their fan assembly. I would like to see how they attach the shroud as I would have to come up with my own.... Maybe I can come take a look some weekend?

Sounds good. I'll be around this weekend.

lutronjim 06-17-2015 06:43 PM

Used R&D with no problem. It also was a little shorter than stock which gave me good clearance for 4" air intake tube across to lower grill on driver's side.

elf w/capital T 01-20-2016 01:05 PM

thanks guys! all the help and photos definitely help!

PowerdbyChevy79 01-20-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trkfrk (Post 7094555)
Radiator pic

nice install brother... what hoses did you use.. I have the same set up.. any info is appreciated..

BilletSpeed 01-20-2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerdbyChevy79 (Post 7454686)
nice install brother... what hoses did you use.. I have the same set up.. any info is appreciated..

It's mentioned in this thread, it helped me find what I needed last week. I didn't have a local auto parts that carried Gates, so I ended up with a Dayco C71588 for the upper and a D70649 for the lower. I had to cut the expanded end off the lower, and trim the upper some too. If anybody has found a better fit, please post part numbers.

I'm using a Griffin universal LS 31x19" radiator. Made my own upper brackets.

trkfrk 01-21-2016 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerdbyChevy79 (Post 7454686)

Thanks man! Let me know if you need more info.

Update: I ended up having a leak on my first radiator that I couldn't find. I called Summit Racing, & found out, that I had a 2 year warranty. They shipped me a brand new one with no questions asked. Also, those 16" Spal fans cool so well, I don't think the second fan has ever turned on:metal:

PowerdbyChevy79 01-21-2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BilletSpeed (Post 7455194)
It's mentioned in this thread, it helped me find what I needed last week. I didn't have a local auto parts that carried Gates, so I ended up with a Dayco C71588 for the upper and a D70649 for the lower. I had to cut the expanded end off the lower, and trim the upper some too. If anybody has found a better fit, please post part numbers.

I'm using a Griffin universal LS 31x19" radiator. Made my own upper brackets.

thx for the info brother...

elf w/capital T 08-07-2018 07:12 AM

My griffin leaked. Since It's useless now, thinking about cutting it up to see... any takers? And I'll be going with an RnD soon. I have not read one complaint about his leaking...

trkfrk 08-07-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elf w/capital T (Post 8317225)
My griffin leaked. Since It's useless now, thinking about cutting it up to see... any takers? And I'll be going with an RnD soon. I have not read one complaint about his leaking...

I forgot about this thread lol. I am on my 4th Griffin (all replaced under warranty). I had to make a few calls directly to Griffin for them to help me resolve the problem. They definitely have an issue with their radiators. I ended up building a cross support underneath the radiator to fix the hammock effect. So far so good.

mcmlxix 08-10-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trkfrk (Post 8317310)
I ended up building a cross support underneath the radiator to fix the hammock effect. So far so good.

Can you elaborate or post pictures of the modification that you mentioned....