The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My 66 Project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=615165)

ChrisDollins 04-03-2014 04:08 PM

Re: My 66 Project

Took the old truck on a little adventure last week. Me my wife and 2 year old took the truck to north west Arkansas to visit my brother and do some sight seeing. The trip is about 250 miles one way or so. We left on Thursday morning and drove to hardy and got out and looked in all the stores and ate lunch. Then drove on until we needed gas and a break and stretched and walked around a little strip mall somewhere between Hardy and Harrison lol. We went ahead and got a room in Harrison so we could stop in Eureka Springs for lunch on Friday. This was the first night that the 66 had spent away from home, so I was a little nervous. I unplugged the HEI but left it close to where it looked plugged in haha. Anyways, Friday we got up and went on in to Eureka and ate and drove around downtown. Pretty cool place! But with a 2 year old that wouldn't nap in the truck we didn't get to do much looking haha. But we did go to Terpentine Creek and he enjoyed that. Then we drove on into Lowell to meet up with my family and get a room at the residence inn rogers which I highly recommend. Saturday we took the kids to the Wild Wilderness Petting zoo and drive through safari. Really cool place. We decided to let Carson ride home with my mom in the Cadillac Sunday, so he would nap and we could go see Eureka Springs a little better. Pretty cool place if you ever get the chance to stop in. There's a lady with a hat shop that is super nice that fitted me with a hat. Anyhow truck did awesome, never missed a beat, got over 15 mpg on the way home and had TONS of conversations with people at the gas stations. Noone said anything about Carson's car seat in front which I was surprised. It seems weird to feel so accomplished doing something that the truck was kind of made for, but it was just really cool to see everything through the old truck's windshield. Noone even got impatient with the 50-55 mph that the 66 would only go. I would just pull over and let them by, no tailgating at all. Anyhow, here's the pics thanks for reading.

Chris
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168376426.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168376421.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168376420.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168376425.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168376424.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168376419.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168376427.jpg

ChrisDollins 04-03-2014 04:10 PM

Sorry some of the pics are so big. Thanks 1963-C10, I really like them a lot.

Chris

aggie91 04-03-2014 04:23 PM

Cool trip and those are some cool pictures.

Ta2Don 04-03-2014 06:09 PM

Awesome Pics... Love Eureka...:metal:

Thanks for taking us along on the ride...:uhmk:

ChrisDollins 04-03-2014 08:38 PM

Thanks guys! We really had a blast! I look forward to clems gtg this fall for another road trip.

Chris

ChrisDollins 04-26-2015 10:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I posted this in the "what did you do to your truck" thread, but thought I'd move it over to here too.

My wife and I used the old truck to haul a couple bucket loads of mulch and a dozen plants for our flower bed. We did lay down a tarp to keep from turning the wood red lol. The rear was on the bumpstops, but I drove slow. I love using the truck for little things like this (this one may have been a little much lol). People always want to talk about it and what they have or use to have. Always a fun outing. Here's a couple pics from the day.

ChrisDollins 04-26-2015 10:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I used it a few weeks ago to haul our trim boards for around the windows. Had to drive to Jonesboro (normally about an hour drive) to Home Depot to pick them up. Had one guy come over while I was strapping it down, smile and say "that's too nice to be hauling lumber in" lol. I always like the conversations the truck starts.

northern 85 04-26-2015 11:13 AM

Very nice truck,still being used as a truck AWESOME!!

dwcardfan 04-26-2015 02:19 PM

Looking good. Nice to see the truck being used. But I agree with the guy at HD too nice of a truck to be hauling all that stuff. Lol

aggie91 04-27-2015 09:42 AM

Perfect! Love seeing what people do with these old trucks besides just for show or cruising...

BTW, Flower beds looks good. Want to come do mine?

ChrisDollins 04-28-2015 10:28 PM

Thanks guys! I still like to use it as a truck when I can. It's actually my only truck at the moment... Lol aggie, this one wore us out! Still have a long way to go on finishing the house. Just wanted a break from the siding and thought landscaping would be nice. I need to give the truck a little attention. I never did fix the emergency brake, and I think the proportion valve has gone kaput. It likes to lock the drivers rear if you get after the brake too hard.

Chris

Ta2Don 04-28-2015 10:46 PM

Using your truck as a truck...:metal:

ChrisDollins 05-01-2015 10:52 PM

If I ever get a hitch installed, I'll use it a little more as a truck haha. Would have to get these brakes 100% though.

Kind of have a new development that I'm unsure on what to do. My dad has a (believed to be) 265ci SBC from his 55. Engine runs perfect doesn't smoke or anything, he is just going with a 383. Anyways, the 265 would be almost free to me, other than the rest of the things needed to install it in the 66. It wouldn't offer really any more power, but sound would be nicer, and would probably run/idle smoother. Maybe a dual carb setup ontop with a decent cam and nice sounding exhaust. Any hickups you can think of?

Chris

Cape Codder 05-02-2015 12:01 AM

A leaky wheel cylinder can cause the wheel to lock up if it gets damp. I would pull that drum for inspection quickly. At least look at the inside of the tire for wet spots. Watch the fluid level.

ChrisDollins 05-02-2015 12:11 AM

It doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere. I do need to pull the drum for sure. It's just one of those things, "When I have time" lol.

Cape Codder 05-02-2015 10:35 AM

If you are running a single master I would make the time.

ChrisDollins 05-02-2015 02:09 PM

Nope, converted to disc a while back. I used everything from a big block suburban, including the proportion valve. The adjustable pv I used on my Z28 years ago worked really well. I'll probably just replace this one with another of those. I figure the rear brakes could use a reworking, but they feel like they are doing more work than needed.

Chris

Cape Codder 05-02-2015 03:46 PM

I had a leaky wheel cylinder last year, I replaced both rear cylinders and shoes at once and was done with it.

CustomCab66 06-30-2015 10:29 AM

Really nice truck..... I want to go with the same color as yours. My 66 is an original black color code 500. I really like the white top with the black. Mine as an original custom cab with the big back window so the white top should compliment the trucks style nicely. Keep up the good work on your 66 :chevy:.

ChrisDollins 10-12-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomCab66 (Post 7226203)
Really nice truck..... I want to go with the same color as yours. My 66 is an original black color code 500. I really like the white top with the black. Mine as an original custom cab with the big back window so the white top should compliment the trucks style nicely. Keep up the good work on your 66 :chevy:.

Thanks, I really like the black/white combo.

Chris

ChrisDollins 10-12-2015 04:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had some work done on the rear brakes a couple weeks ago. Still no dice. I did run the adjuster in almost all of the way like the passenger side is. It did help, but the pedal felt really weird. I ordered tee's and couplers to replace the factory style distribution proportioning valve with an adjustable one. Feels like this one is reducing the front pressure for some reason. Little truck needs some work back there anyhow. I'll post some progress pics when I get the chance to work on it. Here's a couple pics taken a few weeks ago with the family.

northern 85 10-15-2015 05:30 AM

Great pictures!!!!!

Sickfast1964 10-15-2015 06:27 AM

Super nice truck!

dwcardfan 10-15-2015 10:11 AM

Very nice pics. You have a beautiful family. The Truck Looks Great.

oldarky66 10-17-2015 02:04 AM

Great work, love seeing the truck being used as intended.

Mikes66ChevyC10 10-17-2015 08:20 AM

Great pictures!

ChrisDollins 10-19-2015 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. Hoping I can squeeze in some truck time this week to fix the brakes and put in the adjustable track bar. A few little loose ends need to be taken care of too. I'll post pics as I go.

Chris

Seeing this roadster at Clem's really made me want to build one. How cool is that!?

Ta2Don 10-19-2015 11:49 PM

:metal: Clem's get-together has that effect on people...:metal:

ChrisDollins 11-11-2015 11:29 PM

I was able to work on the pickup today. I found the drivers rear e-brake cable was frozen in the liner. Pulled it and got it freed up until the new one comes in. It looks like it was keeping the rear shoe off of the upper pin and holding it out. The wheel cylinder plunger was taking up the slack and causing it to engage sooner I guess. All back together and seems to be much better. I'll drive it around more tomorrow to see, but hopefully that got it.

Chris

Erratic67 11-12-2015 06:30 AM

Awesome truck .... you mentioned a 2/4 drop, what size rims and tires? Love the look.

dwcardfan 11-12-2015 07:20 AM

Glad you got the brakes fixed. Need the brakes to work right. Thanks for the invite on the cruise in this weekend but I have to work. Yall have fun!

ChrisDollins 11-12-2015 09:11 AM

I'm hoping they stay fixed. I'm not really familiar with drum brakes. I needed to get them right before that twisty cruise this weekend lol. Hopefully you can make the next one. I'm sure there is a cool place to eat out your way, maybe we can schedule a Cruise-in over there soon.

ChrisDollins 11-12-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erratic67 (Post 7373359)
Awesome truck .... you mentioned a 2/4 drop, what size rims and tires? Love the look.

Thanks! It takes good pictures anyway haha. Paint isn't great, but it works for me. Yea, it's a 2 or 2.5/4 drop. Spring only. Fronts are 15x6 and rears are 15x8. Backspacing isn't right on the rear wheels, so i had to use a good size spacer for now. I'll have to look at the tire sizes, I don't remember. Rears are 275's but I don't remember aspect ratio.

Chris

Erratic67 11-13-2015 07:33 PM

I know you lowered the drop 2/4 but If at all possible could you elaborate as to what was done in front & back, Tire sizes would be a great help too. I just purchased a 1966 C10 and I'm going for that exact look, that info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

clemdaddy 11-14-2015 01:22 PM

Late to a build thread again but glad i found it. Very nice truck, theres just something about a black truck with white.

missed talking with you at the cruise-in but there will be other adventures especially since you'll got kin in my neighborhood. i also love eureka springs, its like out of place around here, should be in switzerland or someplace else. very cool artsy town.

nice growing family you've got… you are a lucky guy.

ChrisDollins 11-14-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erratic67 (Post 7375438)
I know you lowered the drop 2/4 but If at all possible could you elaborate as to what was done in front & back, Tire sizes would be a great help too. I just purchased a 1966 C10 and I'm going for that exact look, that info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

No problem, but there are a ton of trucks on the board that are nicer than mine!

On the front I used '79 BBC suburban ball joints in the original '66 a-arms. Attached the '79 spindles to that with '79 tie-rods and center link to the '79 steering box attached to the frame with CaptainFab's bracket. Used '79 rotors and calipers for the front, as well as the metering/proportioning valve. The booster and master cylinder are from a 95ish C10. I made my own lines which are in dire need of rerouting and cleaning up. The power steering pump was a factory one taken from a 70's blazer I believe with a 250 I-6. The factory steering shaft had to be cut down to attach with captain fab's adapter for the rag joint. Front springs are 2.5" lowering springs, unsure of brand. Rear is all factory with 4" lowering springs from same brand I do not remember. I haven't installed the adjustable track bar yet, and my drivers tire rubs a little in hard turns. Wheel and tire sizes are: Front 225/75-15 on a 15x6; Rear 275/60-15 on a 15x8 with a spacer since the backspacing is incorrect. Sorry, I don't know the backspacing on the wheels, it has been too long. Hopefully that will help ya. Anything else, let me know!

Have fun with the truck!

ChrisDollins 11-14-2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 7376027)
Late to a build thread again but glad i found it. Very nice truck, theres just something about a black truck with white.

missed talking with you at the cruise-in but there will be other adventures especially since you'll got kin in my neighborhood. i also love eureka springs, its like out of place around here, should be in switzerland or someplace else. very cool artsy town.

nice growing family you've got… you are a lucky guy.

Thank you Clem! I got lucky with the color, that's what it already was. The cruise-in had so much going on, really enjoyed it. The truck will make the trek next year, hopefully me and Justin (my brother) will be able to slip away for the evening and hang out more. Eureka is crazy, hard to believe it's where it is! A European city just comes out of no where in the middle of Arkansas mountains, pretty funny. Thank you, I'm proud of my little family! Ready for our little girl to get here!

Chris

ChrisDollins 11-14-2015 10:47 PM

Had a fun little cruise-in today with the local car club. First thing this morning I had to either fix the brakes or take the wife's Charger. So I swapped out my master cylinder with a new one since I didn't have the fittings to install the new adjustable p-valve and the more I thought about it, I thought the master could be the problem. Didn't get to bleed the system as much as I would have liked, but it is MUCH better! We expected quite a bit more of a turnout for the cruise, but I think deer season and the "long" cruise turned some away. It was only an hour cruise (one-way), but you know how some are lol. We left from the local NAPA at 11, and took the back roads to a cool place to eat in southern MO called Crumpie's. Great place to eat. Couldn't have asked for better weather! It was gorgeous out. After we ate and had enough car talk, the last four of us to leave took an even longer route home and stopped to look at the river. I forgot to take pics at the restaurant of all the cars that were there, but did grab some on the way home. Truck did well, and new master cylinder is doing great. Here are a couple of pics from today.

Chris

Car list was:
'55 Chevy
80's Cadillac
Classic VW bug convertible
50's Plymouth business coupe
Prowler
'72 C10
'66 C10
Two bikes

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168380243.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168380246.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168380248.jpg
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...5168380249.jpg

dwcardfan 11-15-2015 09:34 AM

Looks like a good time. Maybe I can go to the next one.

ChrisDollins 11-15-2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan
Looks like a good time. Maybe I can go to the next one.
Yea hopefully! Torrey Stevens said there is a cool Ma and Pop restaurant in Lynn that is really good. Maybe the weather will cooperate and we can take a cruise down your way. I'd like to stop by and check the truck out too if possible! May just drive the 66 down that way one day and hang out or lend a hand when you're out there working on it.

Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erratic67
No problem, but there are a ton of trucks on the board that are nicer than mine!

On the front I used '79 BBC suburban ball joints in the original '66 a-arms. Attached the '79 spindles to that with '79 tie-rods and center link to the '79 steering box attached to the frame with CaptainFab's bracket. Used '79 rotors and calipers for the front, as well as the metering/proportioning valve. The booster and master cylinder are from a 95ish C10. I made my own lines which are in dire need of rerouting and cleaning up. The power steering pump was a factory one taken from a 70's blazer I believe with a 250 I-6. The factory steering shaft had to be cut down to attach with captain fab's adapter for the rag joint. Front springs are 2.5" lowering springs, unsure of brand. Rear is all factory with 4" lowering springs from same brand I do not remember. I haven't installed the adjustable track bar yet, and my drivers tire rubs a little in hard turns. Wheel and tire sizes are: Front 225/75-15 on a 15x6; Rear 275/60-15 on a 15x8 with a spacer since the backspacing is incorrect. Sorry, I don't know the backspacing on the wheels, it has been too long. Hopefully that will help ya. Anything else, let me know!

Have fun with the truck!

EDIT: Forgot, used CaptainFab's bracket for the booster to firewall, and then added length to the brake pedal pushrod. I haven't lowered the mounting point on the pedal yet. The pedal feel is really light, but just glad my brake situation is hopefully over haha.

Chris