The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   70 GMC in progress. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=636571)

64chevtruck 05-28-2015 12:56 AM

Re: 70 GMC in progress.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there, Ive been tearing my 64 down to the frame recently, but I got the gmc back in the shop to put on the exhaust.
Im going to run it through the tail gate on this truck, I could run it below the frame but id just end up crushing it later or getting it ripped out, and I could run it out the sides but I really dont love that. Besides.....I have a flamethrower kit Ill install on the exhaust of this truck for tailgaters. :0{P

Those pipes are just sitting in the holes in the pic, They will only stick out about 2 inches when finished,

I wish id have run them farther apart but I think it will grow on me.

Look at the good side.....The tail gate still opens,, and I wont have to get under the truck to run the back half of the exhaust$

Have a good week

64chevtruck 06-11-2015 02:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Howdy, I finally got the Exhaust ran, It got tucked up tight up front and up in the frameline everywhere else. All there is left to do is tighten a few bolts, add a few hangers, Put the tips on, and install the flamethrower, I cant wait,

Have a good weekend

made2drag 06-11-2015 02:51 PM

sweet

made2drag 06-11-2015 02:59 PM

That is the most unique leaf spring mod i've ever seen....Very awesome idea. Props to you for thinking outside the box and executing it....nice job!!! In fact, i like all your work....the truck is turning out RAD!

FL71C10 06-12-2015 05:39 PM

What is the color code on your truck?

64chevtruck 06-14-2015 11:05 PM

Thank you Made2Drag, I may eventually just weld in a Panhard bar and cut the springs just behind the rear end so the front of them work like trailing arms. Then install bags so its a full air system, but I just want to drive the truck for the rest of this summer so it will have to wait, Im headed to check your build thread out now, I been wanting a late 80s short bed.

FL7 Im not sure what the color code is or where to find it, if you tell me I will look,

Have a good week guys,

64chevtruck 06-25-2015 03:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, Exhaust is finally done and the Flame thrower is in and works, I didnt get a pic of the flames but ill post one tomorrow,

Have a good week

FL71C10 06-25-2015 12:09 PM

Color code should be on the SPID tag inside the glovebox door. The flamethrowers should be good when someone is tailgating you!

Post a video of the flames!

64chevtruck 06-29-2015 01:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, I got the exhaust totally finished and the flamethrower working,

Heres a youtube link to see it shoot flames. https://youtu.be/LTNf5-nEjbE

The Quest for fire is now complete.

Ill iron out a few more things and drive it all summer as is,

Which means Ill be able to focus on my 64, its a bare frame right now and its killing me to see it sit apart. Ill be posting to my 64 thread linked in my sig at the bottom there,

Take care

64chevtruck 07-06-2015 11:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
All the wood I put in the bed of my 64 went right without even cutting it, the 64 will get a real wood bed when I put it back together. I re located the second battery and compressor in back, Beat the dents out of the wheel tubs and mounted them higher up and farther in, Then tacked some metal in place to extend them back over to the bed wall.

64chevtruck 08-12-2015 01:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Howdy, I wasnt happy with my ride height so I put some drop spindles and tube control arms on it, which meant I had to goto disk brakes, which meant I couldnt run my stock rims rings and caps. So I got a set of Rally rims that are reversed and will clear the calipers,

Also meant I had to raise my steering to be able to get any more drop due to steering shaft clearance, 67-72 frames have raised bumps that the steering box bolts to. So I took the whole side of the frame off and moved it up. The box moved up 1.5 inches and bolted back up to the shaft, seems to work great with no U joint so Ill leave it for now.

After that I had to raise my engine 1 inch to give the center tie rod clearance under the pan.

Anyway,,,,,

I got all that done finally, Im about to go bolt on the new rear tires and get it out of the shop.

Have a good week.

64chevtruck 08-23-2015 03:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok I got some thin spacers for the front tires and ground my calipers down a little and got the stock rims to work with my disk brakes. Im glad because I like running the moons and rings,

Also trimmed out more of my inner fenders in front for tire clearance.

I added a few more shims to the castor and camber , made a few more tie rod adjustments and the steering was much improved. So I took it overnight to the beach.

No issues on the maiden voyage, seemed to run out nice. Ill drive this till winter hits now and focus on getting my 64 rolling.

Keep on truckin

64chevtruck 08-27-2015 02:14 AM

Ok I still wasnt happy with the back so I added some 1 1/4 lowering blocks. Then I trimmed some metal off the bed sockets so I had clearance, Ill get a final pic of the height tomorrow.

bondo510 10-12-2015 01:44 AM

Thank you for posting this. I have a 60 truck with a 69 crossmember . Some of this info is really helping me with my build. I just did the 1 1/2 pancake crossmember and have a few questions. I also have bags and cupped lower controll arms . So what i want to know is if I do not do the drop spindles I can leave the steering in all the stock locations without raising the steering box? Or notching the frame? I can cut and weld but just want to go in there and do it once. I really do not want drop spindles as I want to use my 60 stock rims . Also did the block huggers clear everything ok? Thanks

64chevtruck 10-12-2015 03:59 PM

Hi Bondo, Im glad some of the info was usefull, You can leave your steering in stock position but you will be limited on how much you can drop your front bags because the steering shaft will hit the UCA, It hit with stock spindles and hit even worse with drops. It all depends on what you want for a drive height, I want mine to drive low as possible,

Block huggers were TIGHT on the passenger side, Id just use stock manifolds next time. Also burnt through 2 plug wires already even with the heat sheilds.

Have a good week