The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   "Geronimo" 54' 3100 LS built in PA (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=690612)

99 to Life 02-21-2018 09:57 PM

Re: "Geronimo" 54' 3100 LS built in PA

5 Attachment(s)
2-21 Sorry for the lack of updates. I'v actually been working a ton on this truck since my work has been slow I'v had some extra time. Doesn't look like much but tons of little things going on. Made my kill switch for under seat, started routing battery cables and trans controller. Got trans lines ran with all AN fittings, got all the brakes done and fluid to all 4 corners. Had to make my own coupler to connect pedal and booster. Got radiator hoses figured out, took alot of searching! Any of you having an issue with a GM metric PWS pump 16mm x1.5 to a mustang rack (my rack came with 6AN fittings). Done tons of research and just decided to get the AN adapter for the pump (ebay 4-9$) then found a place that premade AN teflon braided hose for $20. I only needed about 1ft distance and for me to make my own line woulda been almost $50. So go that outta the way, also used the borgeson PWS pump reducing washers for the pump to get the pressure closer to the mustang psi of 950.

Final welded my leaf perches as that wasn't done, recoated rear of frame. Got all the fuel line ran, I'm goin to fire engine back up real soon. Made a bracket up front for the regulator. it mounts off the carb studs. I'll clean it up and prolly paint it. Waiting on the retro caddy air cleaner. I gotta put a few things back on engine and do some wiring and she'll fire up. Then I need to get DS made and wire up trans and boom I'm ready to test drive it.

Then onto final assembly of glass and wiring etc. We are getting seat done real soon too. I'v finally hit my 500hr mark. So I'm over the mark there. and we are a little over our parts budget but not by much! She should be on the road very soon. Finally. then back onto my 51' should have that on road this summer. Oh I'll be making my TPS bracket this weekend. Found one on amazon for $10. People want 150-200 for a kit, can't believe what they are asking for something like that. I need to finalize my fuel filler out in bed and that's the last figuring out stuff. I'll have some interior work to do too.

Advanced Design 02-21-2018 11:49 PM

Wow, you've made awesome progress! Looking good. Where is the place making the teflon hoses?

oldman3 02-22-2018 12:22 AM

Great update, and lots of work done...Jim

iowaboynca 02-22-2018 01:23 AM

Very nice. You are always the inspiration.

99 to Life 02-22-2018 10:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks guys, it is getting really close to being a driver. Here is the fitting and hose to adapt the GM pump to mustang rack. Mind you, my rack already came with the -6AN fittings. I got this pump fitting off ebay you can get them cheaper but I paid $9 from getfast1 they have alot of good stuff. the hose came from graystonesystems they are on ebay and amazon. they have every size you can think of, can't beat the price. Glad I found them bc I searched a million options to adapt the stock PWS hose I already had. I didn't wanna make one and pay about $50 to make one to work, so again I got about $30 in this line with fitting. The return line however I am making since I have hose and AN fittings, that doens't need to be a high pressure hose.

gigamanx 02-23-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8194413)
2-21 Sorry for the lack of updates. I'v actually been working a ton on this truck since my work has been slow I'v had some extra time. Doesn't look like much but tons of little things going on. Made my kill switch for under seat, started routing battery cables and trans controller. Got trans lines ran with all AN fittings, got all the brakes done and fluid to all 4 corners. Had to make my own coupler to connect pedal and booster. Got radiator hoses figured out, took alot of searching! Any of you having an issue with a GM metric PWS pump 16mm x1.5 to a mustang rack (my rack came with 6AN fittings). Done tons of research and just decided to get the AN adapter for the pump (ebay 4-9$) then found a place that premade AN teflon braided hose for $20. I only needed about 1ft distance and for me to make my own line woulda been almost $50. So go that outta the way, also used the borgeson PWS pump reducing washers for the pump to get the pressure closer to the mustang psi of 950.

Final welded my leaf perches as that wasn't done, recoated rear of frame. Got all the fuel line ran, I'm goin to fire engine back up real soon. Made a bracket up front for the regulator. it mounts off the carb studs. I'll clean it up and prolly paint it. Waiting on the retro caddy air cleaner. I gotta put a few things back on engine and do some wiring and she'll fire up. Then I need to get DS made and wire up trans and boom I'm ready to test drive it.

Then onto final assembly of glass and wiring etc. We are getting seat done real soon too. I'v finally hit my 500hr mark. So I'm over the mark there. and we are a little over our parts budget but not by much! She should be on the road very soon. Finally. then back onto my 51' should have that on road this summer. Oh I'll be making my TPS bracket this weekend. Found one on amazon for $10. People want 150-200 for a kit, can't believe what they are asking for something like that. I need to finalize my fuel filler out in bed and that's the last figuring out stuff. I'll have some interior work to do too.

Awesome stuff. You'll be driving in no time!

lower50's 02-26-2018 07:17 PM

Sweet!!!! Good progress.

99 to Life 02-28-2018 12:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
2-27-18

inching closer. Got the TPS bracket made. between the sensor and the scrap material I had laying around and few hours I ended up saving 130-190 dollars, as I have ten bucks in the sensor. Go the air cleaner. I plan on painting it eventually along with these brackets. I plan to make some nice cnc made brackets this summer. I chose to put the TPS on this side bc the DS of the carb just seemed to be getting clogged up.

Most TPS units have a cable or rod that attach to the arm of the sender and the carb lever. I was able to just butt the two up and let the carb arm come down and run the senders arm. I'v yet to test it and I'm sure it will need some tweaking, but for now I think it should work.

Getting the Drive shaft tomorrow, so really once I wire up a few things its ready to test. Hoping by next weekend to do that.

CURSED GEARS 02-28-2018 07:56 AM

That last picture is a nice blend with the old and the new. Engine looks tall, almost like it has blower! Good stuff!

OutlawDrifter 02-28-2018 10:14 AM

Good choice of air cleaner!

Advanced Design 02-28-2018 06:19 PM

Good solution 99. Engine looks really good!

99 to Life 02-28-2018 11:10 PM

thanks guys. I really wish I woulda done some things different on the engine color scheme. but nothing to loose sleep over. yes I like the old and new. I really hope everything works out and I don't regret carbing the LS. its alot of work either way. Gonna try and work on some wiring this week and see if I can't get it fired back up and really hoping by next weekend I make a maiden voyage! Just got the driveshaft made up today!

lower50's 03-01-2018 04:08 PM

You can't go wrong with a carb, try fixing fuel injection on the side of the road.

99 to Life 03-01-2018 04:53 PM

I'm not worried about he carb really, more or less the transmission controller LOL. but between the msd box and the transmission controller. just seems like your dependent on two companies product. not to mention all the stuff to actually make this work. I'v often thought why didn't I just go EFI! but I'm sure this will work out. I def wouldn't mind carbing another LS and putting my 5 speed behind it, no controller needed!

99 to Life 03-07-2018 12:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
3-6

Had a short work weekend bc of bday party. But.... I did make a lot of headway. I'm very close to being able to fire this up with the ignition etc all hooked up. So yah I been working on wiring and making a alot of progress. I got all the engine stuff wired pretty much minus the Efan. Got carb choke done, got MSD box done, Trans controller about done, NSS wire up, all starter wires and battery cables, main wire harness pwr ran, got temp senders in the heads, just need the VDO gauge to work with the sender in head. I loom pretty much every wire I deal with also. Ignition is almost done, fuel pump is almost wired up.

Got driveshaft made, need to paint it. My goal is to fire it up next weekend, maybe pop it into gear. Then once I get the temp gauge I can start running and driving it more and more. Pws lines are done also. Then just button everything up. I still need to do a tach and speedo conversion also.

oldman3 03-07-2018 12:26 AM

99, shouldn't be long now, nice work...Jim

99 to Life 03-12-2018 07:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXWi...ature=youtu.be

dunno why the embed video isn't working, I forget what little trick it is to get it to work these days. anyway. not the best video as I ran outta memory on camera and time today. But..... She starts up and the gears are working. need to bleed brakes and she'll be moving on her own.

I still need to hook up the temp gauge and efan and get it all up to operating temp.

OutlawDrifter 03-12-2018 10:43 PM

Good progress!

NorCalGal 03-12-2018 10:48 PM

Wow! You have been busy. Looks good

lower50's 03-12-2018 11:12 PM

Good job buddy sounds great.

Advanced Design 03-12-2018 11:34 PM

Nice! Always a good feeling when they fire up.

SalvagedSouls 03-13-2018 11:13 AM

Nice work!

99 to Life 03-14-2018 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. Here is a pic of the trans controller handheld. What is really cool about this is, it will do live data so when I'm driving I can check trans temp and speed etc. It is also nice that my speedo output will wire directly into the trans cpu, so no special sending units required. I'll be doing a tach and speedo conversion soon, so they will look like stock gauges but function with a modern touch. The trans controller was easy to set up a tune. I'll try it out and adjust if need. I think it read my TPS just fine which is cool also.

gonna get some driving footage and all that soon!

99 to Life 04-17-2018 11:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
4-17 been slowing down a tad on the build. just alot going on again. But I should be wrapping this one up by next month. It will drive but I haven't taken it out of garage yet. Still working on wiring, but nearing the end of that. Got some chassis saver on the front fenders and grille, gonna raptor line them also. then I can put the front clip all back together. Windshield I bought from summit came with a chip in it, so not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Need to get doors back on. Still waiting for the seat at the upholstery shop, taking forever.

but on a brighter note, I dug myself some more debt with another patina truck 51' (my fav year!!) missing a fender and one door is roached out, but overall the truck is pretty darn solid. Got it out west. also the green truck I had my friend buy, I told him I'd go in on building it and then sell it as a project. Its on an s10 frame and very solid as well. I may sell or build this blue patina truck this year. after I finish geronimo I am going to try and get my 51' back on the road so I can have something to drive!

Desert1957 04-18-2018 12:46 PM

Which is the green truck again? I'm getting confused....