The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   It’s Just A Pickup (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=318544)

chevytruckluver 01-07-2011 07:56 PM

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Looks fantastic!

swamp rat 01-07-2011 08:11 PM

Dripping wet!

62 short step 01-07-2011 08:20 PM

Very nice!

67_ShortFleet 01-07-2011 08:21 PM

Looks great Bruce. I've been following this build for a long time. It is almost sad to see it getting close to the end. You need to start looking for another truck project!!

swamp rat 01-07-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt schlicht (Post 4394626)
Looks great Bruce. I've been following this build for a long time. It is almost sad to see it getting close to the end. You need to start looking for another truck project!!

He can do my truck next. :)

Palf70Step 01-07-2011 08:35 PM

Very Nice!!!

VA72C10 01-07-2011 08:51 PM

No need to apologize for a quick update! Keep em coming! and that cab looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seventy Two 01-08-2011 02:43 AM

Very nice Bruce! I'm looking forward to the next update.

Stubbs67 01-08-2011 01:04 PM

I just had a truckgasm...:smoke:

Beautiful.:chevy:

Sonicman 01-15-2011 10:51 PM

I just read your entire thread and am very impressed. You are a great teacher. I've learned a lot reading your thread. I just got the LMC heavy duty wiring harness and was really confused looking at it. About half way through reading I noticed you used it as well. And it answered my question. The 3 prong male plug on the end plugs into the drivers side headlight female plug and the rest runs to the passenger's side. The only thing I didn't see was how you connected the red wires to the battery. Did you do it directly to the battery or did use the junction box next to the battery?

Once more thank you for your detailed writings.

Bruce88 01-16-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicman (Post 4414266)
I just read your entire thread and am very impressed. You are a great teacher. I've learned a lot reading your thread. I just got the LMC heavy duty wiring harness and was really confused looking at it. About half way through reading I noticed you used it as well. And it answered my question. The 3 prong male plug on the end plugs into the drivers side headlight female plug and the rest runs to the passenger's side. The only thing I didn't see was how you connected the red wires to the battery. Did you do it directly to the battery or did use the junction box next to the battery?

Once more thank you for your detailed writings.

Hi Sonicman

The red wires on the LMC wiring harness are fusible links to protect the head light wiring harness. I connected mine to the battery junction block but you could connect them directly to the positive terminal on the battery if you want.

Since I made one wiring harness from the two wiring harness (LMC and forward stock wiring harness) it can be a little hard to see in the pictures. If you look close in the picture you can see three fusible links going to the junction block (one black & two red) the only wire that is not shown is the 10 gage wire going from the junction block to the positive battery terminal. REF (post # 368) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...318544&page=15

Another thing that isn’t shown very well is on the left hand side head light the original stock head light connector is not used and needs to be caped and stowed out of the way you just plug the LMC connector to the left hand side head light.

Hope this helps you out, I would have to say that the wiring diagram with the LMC kit is a little lacking in clarity.

my90k5 01-16-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubbs67 (Post 4395869)
i just had a truckgasm...:smoke:

Beautiful.:chevy:

rofl!!!

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 01-23-2011 07:11 PM

Beautiful!! Love it!! This is one of the best builds I have seen, your attention to detail is amazing, and so are your pics/ FAQS. Awesome work, I will be using some of your tips and tricks on my builds!!!! :metal: :metal: :metal: :chevy:

Bruce88 01-27-2011 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some will pop right in
Others will fight the installation for a long time

The body & paint is complete and the truck is back in my shop. As far as I’m concerned the body & paint shop has met/exceeded my expectations and stayed within cost (no unexpected cost or higher price than quoted). Note this is not a show quality truck and there are fit and fair flaws that in my opinion would have driven the cost way up to address and out side my range and plans for this truck. Thinking of putting together a post to evaluate the body & paint process from my point of view, if you think this would be beneficial to you or others let me know on this build thread and Ill see what I can do.

The truck has been home for over two weeks and just as I got it home my back started giving me problems and turned me into a couch potato with pain. Wanting to keep the build going so I brought in a window installer for the front and back glass. I had the glass and seals and just needed it installed. I’ve installed a few windows in the past and the top statement has applied you never know till your into it.

Two hours after the glass man arrived the front and back glass was installed and sealed with about ½ a tube of urethane (guaranteed not to leak). Up side of sealing is no leaks down side is if the window ever has to be replaced a new seal will be required. As far as I’m concerned I would use a new seal for another installation anyway if it’s ever needed.

Glass and seals used
Rear window – TSW100LT - DY90012YK1 67 – 72 Large Window Due-Vent Rear Window Slider (light tint) from Classic Heartbeat Pickup Parts
Rear window seal – 38-5916 Window Rubber-LRG-Standard from LMC
Front window – 38-9424-T Windshield Glass-Shaded from LMC
Front window seal – 38-5914 Windshield Rubber-Standard from LMC

Attachment 689144

My back is feeling better and will be back out in the shop putting the truck back together soon.

Enjoy your build

VA72C10 01-27-2011 02:20 PM

Glad your back is feeling better. Truck is looking great!!!

kvn1011 01-27-2011 02:23 PM

that looks awesome!! :metal:
glad you are feeling better!!

my90k5 01-27-2011 02:28 PM

Don't push yourself, get well. Very nice........

jaymc32 01-27-2011 04:34 PM

Just read all 20 pages nonstop!!
Thank you so much for sharing this build with us!!

Seventy Two 01-27-2011 10:48 PM

I always look forward to your updates Bruce. The truck is looking real good.

Sonicman 01-27-2011 11:14 PM

Would like to here your paint and body thoughts

72shortstep 01-28-2011 04:50 AM

Flaws? we wont see them unless you point them out and then we still might not see them, haha. Looks great!

west9378 01-28-2011 11:46 PM

Bruce like others I would appreciate hearing your ideas about paint. I am hopeful that I will be in the paint stage within the next 6 months.

FLDBRED 02-04-2011 08:10 AM

Awesome ,just flat out awesome!

RCbowtie69 02-04-2011 09:19 PM

Hey from N.C. again, just want to say it's looking great,can't wait to see it together with those tail lights,keep pictures coming :metal: :cool:

Bruce88 02-05-2011 08:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Running the wires for the headliner
Unable to hide all of them

After about four hours of less than nice encouraging language by me and a electricians wire snake I routed the speaker & power wires up the front left hand front pillar to just behind the left hand speaker location on the headliner.

Since I’m installing a CB in the headliner and needed to run an antenna cable to the back of the cab I ended up drilling a hole just to the left of the dome light. It’s not hidden under the headliner but it was the only way I could see to rout the cable to the back side of the cab.

To hold down any resonating noise and give a little insulation I installed some Dynamat
(Part # 11103) Dynaliner ½ thick insulation in the center area of roof under the headliner. There’s only about ¾ of an inch space between the headliner and the roof in the center area.

At the speaker locations the speaker magnet upper edge just barely clears the roof maybe 1/8 of an inch clearance. In the head liner kit they supply some 5 inch x 5 inch x 2 inch thick soft foam squares for insulation behind the speakers. There’s definitely very limited space under the headliner and the wire, cable, insulation and speaker installations need to be checked by you for clearance issues.

Attachment 694154

For those that might be interested in installing this headliner. I forget where I obtained it from many years ago but the installation instructions call it Model 2-2000 Highliner for 67 – 72 Chevy/GMC Trucks by Hoese Corporation, all the headliners I’ve seen on the internet seem to be the same as mine.

Also if your thinking of installing rivet nuts as I showed in (post #115) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=318544&page=5 on this build thread. Make sure to open up the holes in the headliner so you can install the screws straight and don’t cross thread the screws. If you cross thread the screw and the rivet nut starts turning in its hole there almost imposable to remove and replace the rivet nut.

Attachment 694155

For those that have an interest in my thoughts about body and paint I should have it up in one to two weeks. Now I need to take some time off the truck to enjoy the Super Bowl party (smile).

Enjoy your build