The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My suburban's Twisted Little Sister (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=655167)

Bomp 03-08-2016 12:03 PM

Re: My suburban's Twisted Little Sister

Really digging on your firewall, I definitely have to go back and tweak on Steiner.
Thanks for showing

Johnny_Lamebridge 03-09-2016 12:39 AM

Dale, those louvers are pretty special. I'm sure you'll use them in a creative way. Sorry for hijacking your thread. :o

Thanks for the interesting details Ian.

62stepside longbox 03-09-2016 01:03 AM

Wow cool! those will really set the burb apart from any other vehicles ever built. It's details like this that really make it special

piratexpress1369a 03-09-2016 08:10 PM

That's awesome

65sub 03-09-2016 10:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7513926)
Nice work Dale. Wow, that was very nice of Ian! Great people here.

Thanks Doug. Great people make it fun to be here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Lamebridge (Post 7514031)
Dale, nice work rebuilding firewall and kick panels. I wondered about the louvers when i saw the pic earlier in your build. It was good of Ian to send them to you. I'd love to know the story behind them. Ian made them?

Thanks John. It is a cool story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrown50 (Post 7514119)
I used to work for Rolls Royce. Back around the turn of the century Jaguar decided it would make one final batch of XKE hoods using the original tooling and sell them through their main dealer network (these things were going to be $8500 a pop). They commissioned our press shop to stamp the panels and I had to oversee the production.

The louvre tool was a really clever old thing, originally (I think) built by Abbey Panels in the West Midlands, it held the hood upside down and stamped both sides at once (on early XKE's the louvres were stamped separately and welded in) and would also stamp more or less louvres, depending upon how much "weight" or "set" you put on the press. Obviously you don't set up on $8.5K hoods so I cut some random pieces of steel to use for set-up. Once finished I was left with 4 pairs of perfectly good louvres which it just seemed a shame to throw out. I did ask my boss if I could keep them, he was an accountant (not a car guy) so seemed really bemused by the request but said OK.

The first set went in a gasser style Anglia, the second set in a Coombs style Jaguar Mk2 (with supercharged XJR motor), and now I can say the 3rd set will be in radical 66 Suburban. :metal:

Thank you for the louvres and the story Ian. I'm sure I'll be repeating it alot when I get the truck on the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7514123)
its gonna be bout a 3rd jag already, so why not sheet metal. i got a few parts i can donate. ima need em back after you rework them thou!!!

I don't have the front designed yet but why not start with jaguar louvres. If you need help with your donated parts let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7514127)
HOW INCREDIBLY COOL!!!

I have benefitted from Ian's generosity too.....

Well done mate.

I agree "INCREDIBLY COOL"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7514401)
Really digging on your firewall, I definitely have to go back and tweak on Steiner.
Thanks for showing

Thanks Greg. I didn't mean to make more work for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Lamebridge (Post 7515346)
Dale, those louvers are pretty special. I'm sure you'll use them in a creative way. Sorry for hijacking your thread. :o

Thanks for the interesting details Ian.

I'm working on some ideas for them but nothing definite yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7515370)
Wow cool! those will really set the burb apart from any other vehicles ever built. It's details like this that really make it special

Well I do like to be different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 7516242)
That's awesome

Thanks Pirate.

Yesterday we finished the firewall welding. Then today we welded the crossmember brackets and drilled the holes in the crossmember.

lower50's 03-11-2016 01:17 AM

That should hold the trans in place! Fire wall turned out really nice.:metal:
When do you think you will have this bad boy on the road? Next spring?

Bomp 03-11-2016 11:24 AM

Built for stout, I see no flex in your future.

65sub 03-16-2016 08:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7518195)
That should hold the trans in place! Fire wall turned out really nice.:metal:
When do you think you will have this bad boy on the road? Next spring?

Thanks lower. I'm real happy with the firewall. The cross member is just to stiffen the frame. To support the transmission I'm going to use a connecter that goes from the differential to the transmission. This is basically the same system the Corvette used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7518477)
Built for stout, I see no flex in your future.

Hopefully the frame is stiff enough since the body is welded to the frame.

We worked on two projects today First was the mounts for the front shockwaves. We got the bottom mounts installed. Then we made some brackets for the top and tacked them in place.

65sub 03-16-2016 08:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The second project is one I saw on another build but I can't remember who deserves the credit. If anybody knows the thread please post it here.

We decided to add an 1 1/2 inch strip to the rear bumper. So we cut the bumper length wise and made up some brackets to clamp it in position

jonzcustomshop 03-16-2016 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7525172)
The second project is one I saw on another build but I can't remember who deserves the credit. If anybody knows the thread please post it here.

We decided to add an 1 1/2 inch strip to the rear bumper. So we cut the bumper length wise and made up some brackets to clamp it in position

that was/is frizzle fry
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=179289

siggyfreud 03-16-2016 11:40 PM

I am in awe of the fab skills going on in this thread. This thing will be more solid than anything on the road by the time you're done. I probably missed it, but what powerplant do you have in store for this?

roushinator 03-17-2016 10:06 AM

Nice work!

lower50's 03-17-2016 05:38 PM

Oh ya I forgot how the drive system worked. :)

65sub 03-17-2016 09:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 7525253)

Thanks Jon and thanks frizzle fry. He does some really cool custom work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 7525407)
I am in awe of the fab skills going on in this thread. This thing will be more solid than anything on the road by the time you're done. I probably missed it, but what powerplant do you have in store for this?

Thanks Siggy. We are putting a Jaguar V12 in it with an aftermarket fuel injection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roushinator (Post 7525708)
Nice work!

Thanks Roushinator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7526165)
Oh ya I forgot how the drive system worked. :)

Ya they are a bit different.

We test fit the shockwave today to check for clearance. Then we boxed the mount top and bottom.

65sub 03-17-2016 09:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We also made some brackets to mount the factory crossmember angle braces. Then we welded them to the inside of the frame.

62stepside longbox 03-18-2016 01:46 AM

Very nice work Dale, how low do you think it will sit aired all the way out?

65sub 03-21-2016 09:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7526712)
Very nice work Dale, how low do you think it will sit aired all the way out?

Thanks Nik. The Shockwaves I'm using limit the amount of suspension travel so ride height will be 4" and aired out should be 1"

Today we dropped the air tank and compressors in the space above the gas tank. Then we decided to mount the rear upper gate. So we cut it in half and got one side in position.

Johnny_Lamebridge 03-21-2016 11:37 PM

Looking good Dale. Firewall came out great! I guess both gates will need to be sectioned and reassembled to fit...

Any idea how much welding wire you've used so far? Man... you've done so much work. Keep it up! :metal:

62stepside longbox 03-21-2016 11:49 PM

Very nice work Dale. I guess the plus side of sectioning a suburban gate instead of a truck gate is that there is no letters to worry about.

lower50's 03-22-2016 08:18 AM

Coming along very nice Dale. John I used around 25lb of .035 on mine so I'm thinking Dale has used more. But cool question no one ever thinks of.

65sub 04-04-2016 10:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Lamebridge (Post 7531091)
Looking good Dale. Firewall came out great! I guess both gates will need to be sectioned and reassembled to fit...

Any idea how much welding wire you've used so far? Man... you've done so much work. Keep it up! :metal:

Thanks John. We'll weld parts of the upper and lower gates together to make one larger upper gate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7531106)
Very nice work Dale. I guess the plus side of sectioning a suburban gate instead of a truck gate is that there is no letters to worry about.

Ya Nik no letters but 14 seperate pieces to weld back together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7531302)
Coming along very nice Dale. John I used around 25lb of .035 on mine so I'm thinking Dale has used more. But cool question no one ever thinks of.

Thanks Lower

On the welding wire question . Thats kind of hard to say cause we use 3 diferent spools of wire in the mig welder plus the tig welder but I would guess we've used about 15 lbs so far.

We got both halves of the upper gate mounted so we could measure the gap between them. Then we cut a filler piece from another gate and tacked it to one side. Next we used some 1" square tubing and a bunch of clamps to line up the two halves.

62stepside longbox 04-04-2016 10:25 PM

Nice work!

lower50's 04-04-2016 10:26 PM

Dale your doing a great job with everything it's like you are installing a kit. Mark line A at --", mark line B at --", clamp together and tack. Keep it up!!

Grizz1963 04-05-2016 02:32 AM

Your updates do always make me smile.

Looking good man.

65sub 04-07-2016 09:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7548353)
Nice work!

Thanks Nik.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7548356)
Dale your doing a great job with everything it's like you are installing a kit. Mark line A at --", mark line B at --", clamp together and tack. Keep it up!!

Thanks Lower. It is kind of like building a kit, but I have to make up the instructions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7548597)
Your updates do always make me smile.

Looking good man.

Thanks Rian I'm glad we can brighten your day.

After tacking the strip in the center we decided to remove 2.5" from the height So we did some more cutting fitting and tacking.