The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=264226)

Bentblazer 11-21-2008 07:56 AM

Re: "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread...

1 Attachment(s)
Looks nice J I didn't even think about cleaning up my firewall like that but I didn't do a frame off like that either.

Big J 11-21-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentblazer (Post 2984553)
Looks nice J I didn't even think about cleaning up my firewall like that but I didn't do a frame off like that either.

I'm not planning on smoothing the whole firewall area, just cleaning up a bit on the places I had to replace metal. Now the bedsides and doors will get the full treatment, lol....

Big J 11-22-2008 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ran short on time today but I got started with the filler. Fun stuff! filler......... sand sand sand..... filler filler... sand sand.... I'm sure if I had years of body work expertise it'd look better than it does now but it'll turn out nice. I've got time and a gallon of evercoat, lol.....

Big J 11-22-2008 09:26 PM

Depending on how I like the end result I may take it to these guys for some old school pinstriping. I know ya can't go wrong with black and chrome but I'm thinkin' I want more.

http://bobtaylors.com/main.htm

jaros44sr 11-22-2008 10:17 PM

Looks good J...do mine:lol:

Chevyman63 11-22-2008 11:15 PM

Cool...more progress!

Big J 11-23-2008 02:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2987391)
Looks good J...do mine:lol:

And have you miss out on all the fun of doing it yourself... I just couldn't bring myself to do that to ya....:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman63 (Post 2987483)
Cool...more progress!

Nope, not until you post some pics.....:lol:

Well, I've learned my lesson, when working with filler pick one spot and work on it till completed. All that sanding at once is for the birds, lol.... I think thats it for today. I also got the handles replaced in the wheelbarrow and a shovel. Now I'm off to fix a powerwheels 4wheeler....

Big J 11-23-2008 03:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some other little things that went on today. I helped neighbor put some new roof lights on this pete, that was fun. While sitting next to the stove shootin' the bull I noticed that the tub wasn't sitting quite right on the frame. I don't have bodymounts under it yet but it still is sitting slant forward a bit. I forgot to notch the rear crossmember on the tub and its sitting on the frame. Its no big deal though, I'll just do it when I rubber coat the underside.

Bentblazer 11-23-2008 10:53 PM

Either you dont have much to fix or your better at the body work than you think, a gallon of filler wouldn't last me long either way

Ron 586 11-23-2008 11:09 PM

You ain't never gonna be ready for the road trip in July if you keep gettin' side tracked. Get to work on that Blazer. (see ya in July)

Big J 11-24-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentblazer (Post 2989145)
Either you dont have much to fix or your better at the body work than you think, a gallon of filler wouldn't last me long either way

Well that makes me feel better. This is my first go around using this amount of filler.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron 586 (Post 2989183)
You ain't never gonna be ready for the road trip in July if you keep gettin' side tracked. Get to work on that Blazer. (see ya in July)

I'm tellin' ya. Its one of the perks of having the space for free though, lol...

Big J 11-24-2008 10:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
These gotta be the suckiest progress pics ever and gonna be that way for awhile, lol.... If you can see the progress, consider yourself a winner:lol: sand, sand, sand, filler, filler, sand, sand......:drama:

The body is pretty staight I just want it super straight. No dents, no dings, no waves... So that way when someone bangs into it in a parking lot I can go super crazy on'em:lol:

On a good note the garage is stayin' nice and toasty. I'm able to get the metal temp up pretty easy.

jamie72 11-24-2008 10:30 PM

your gettin you pretty tires all dirty.

Big J 11-24-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie72 (Post 2990944)
your gettin you pretty tires all dirty.

Its ok, it blows off pretty easy, lol.

Big J 12-12-2008 12:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I've just about got the drivers bedside done. Have I mentioned sanding is for the birds...... and just think, I get to block it out some more after I primer it.

Chevyman63 12-12-2008 06:16 AM

Progress is progress.

Way to go J.

5150 12-13-2008 12:56 PM

looking good J, you're a better man then me on the sanding thing. I'd be tired as hell. You need to get you one of those long 24 inch sanding blocks :)

Big J 12-14-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 3025623)
looking good J, you're a better man then me on the sanding thing. I'd be tired as hell. You need to get you one of those long 24 inch sanding blocks :)

I've got a 16" long one. I think any bigger might be a waste.

5150 12-14-2008 01:48 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm going to leave that one alone

Chevyman63 12-14-2008 02:17 PM

You read my mind. :lol: :lol:

Ron 586 12-19-2008 10:48 AM

Well Big J I unloaded the frame and parts that I got from you this past Monday. I needed my trailer to haul my daughter's 03 Cavalier. She pulled in over at my neighbors and knocked a hole in the oil pan. I located a pan and I'm having it installed by one of my mechanic buddies. So if you have made any progress you are still ahead of me. I'll check back later. TTT for you.

MrBeast 12-19-2008 11:17 AM

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...1&d=1227466361

Man when your using a wheel barrow to lay on the bondo, you might have a problem! :dig:

Big J 12-19-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron 586 (Post 3035767)
Well Big J I unloaded the frame and parts that I got from you this past Monday. I needed my trailer to haul my daughter's 03 Cavalier. She pulled in over at my neighbors and knocked a hole in the oil pan. I located a pan and I'm having it installed by one of my mechanic buddies. So if you have made any progress you are still ahead of me. I'll check back later. TTT for you.

Sorry to hear about the oil pan but just now unloading the trailer is funny.... Still sanding. No interesting pics to post, lol. Although Chevyman and 5150 need to go into the comedic biz...lol.....

jaros44sr 12-19-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 3035798)
Sorry to hear about the oil pan but just now unloading the trailer is funny.... Still sanding. No interesting pics to post, lol. Although Chevyman and 5150 need to go into the comedic biz...lol.....

10,000 comedians outta work, and we have Tim and Bryan to entertain us:lol:

Your arms must feel like lead by now! Sure ya don't want to do mine:smoke:

Big J 12-19-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3035828)
10,000 comedians outta work, and we have Tim and Bryan to entertain us:lol:

Your arms must feel like lead by now! Sure ya don't want to do mine:smoke:

Between you and me and everyone who reads this thread.... If I had the money I'd pay someone to do the body for me, lol... But I don't so I'm gettin' r done. The answer is yep, I'm sure I don't want to. and Tim and Bryan are doin' a fine job:lol:.