The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project: Recycle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=381425)

SCOTI 11-28-2010 02:43 AM

Re: Project: Recycle

A-arms installed (temporarily).
Bags installed.
Spindles installed.
Calipers mounted.
Shocks mounted.
Brake lines (flex lines) routed.
Rear housing cleaned & shot w/a quick coat o' color.
Rear housing in place.
Truck arms bolted up & snugged to the rear housing.
Rear bags installed.

Got alot done, but a bunch of it is just 'connected' (not finished) which is frustrating. I couldn't tighten the rear u-bolts (didn't have the right size wrench), still need the front a-arm bushing washers, & still need the rotors painted. The parts house was supposed to have my HD brake parts (shoes, wheel cylinders, & spring kit) but only got the shoes.

I'm spent . . .....

Jonboy 11-28-2010 10:03 AM

Right on!

67cheby 11-28-2010 11:42 AM

great progress

n2billet 11-28-2010 12:02 PM

All this and still no pictures.....................;)

kev2809 11-28-2010 12:22 PM

^^^ lol

progress is progress man, your doin some nice detailed work!

......now post some pics ;)

SCOTI 11-28-2010 01:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by n2billet (Post 4318063)
All this and still no pictures.....................;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev2809
^^^ lol

progress is progress man, your doin some nice detailed work!

......now post some pics

Crappy lighting, parts, steel, tools, & other various equipment in the way of decent pics. My hope was to roll it out for some pics in the sun....

Edit: I added these cell pics I took mid day to send to Matt. He also took a couple of pics from his phone which are typically very decent. I'm waiting for them to upload to my e-mail & I'll post them up once they do....

N2TRUX 11-29-2010 10:38 AM

Progress looks good Scot. Crappy pics, set backs, and all aside it still looks much better than a bare frame.

67cheby 11-29-2010 11:24 AM

looks sweet did you have the billet brake line clamps made or is it something you can buy, they look great !!

SCOTI 11-29-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4320121)
looks sweet did you have the billet brake line clamps made or is it something you can buy, they look great !!

Had some made after ordering in something similar (but different size). **Edited w/the pics Matt took.

SCOTI 12-02-2010 12:26 AM

Truck arms tight w/pinion shims installed. Prob will swap the 3° shims for the 2.5° set.

Got the correct 'front' truck arm bolts & nylock nuts. The one's previously installed were coarse thread & barely long enough. I swapped them for some longer, fine thread bolts (I used fine thread on the TA mounts too).

I got new upper a-arm nuts & got them installed. I decided to just clean & paint the existing OE washers & run them. It's not 100% tight but snugged down (waiting to set it on the ground under weight before final tightening). I then went to snug up the lower a-arm hardware & realized the bushing 'sleeves' were too long. A quick text to Mr. Porter confirmed they're trim to fit so I took care of that.

I didn't have the correct upper shock bolts (too short) so I got longer ones & swapped them in place. Other than that, trips to Fastenall & Lowes to swap some 'un-used' hardware for different stuff I will use.

I've been moving the rear HD drum set-up in & out of the truck hoping to have enough time to get them in color & swapped into place but haven't had enough time yet. Need to get the front rotors in color as well so they can be installed . ....

67cheby 12-02-2010 10:17 AM

the new pics look super nice , very detailed nice work !!

72BlckButy 12-02-2010 03:33 PM

Lookin' good SCOTI!

SCOTI 12-03-2010 01:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Today I took one step back, then two forward....

A week or so ago, I had managed to scratch one of the spindles when mocking the spindle/caliper in place. It had been about 3-4 days since I had painted it so I didn't hesitate to grab the rattle can for a little touch-up. The result was the previous paint under the 'fresh' paint started bubbling up bad.

Per manufacturer (VHT) recommendations, I had to let it cure for @ least 7-days before fixing the fix. Ten days later (today), I cut down the problem area w/some 320 dry paper, wiped it w/degreaser, & re-shot some color. Everything went on nice & smooth this time. You'd have a hard time figuring out where the 'repair' was (not that it can even be seen :lol: ).

While that was going on, I covered up the other spindle & used it as a turn-table to paint the new replacement rotors. While everything was drying, I swapped the last 2 lower a-arm sleeves into place. Now all 4 bushings are 'snug' & waiting for the chassis to be on the ground for final torqing.

I re-assembled the spindles to the control arms & went to install the rotors only to realize I no longer had the spindle nut hardware. After yet another trip to the parts store, the spindles/calipers/rotors are joined.

I wanted to throw the wheels on for a lil' look but . . ...... no lug nuts. Lug nuts are in the dually now. Getting closer though....

n2billet 12-03-2010 07:00 AM

DANG!!!! I'm about to tear up........looks really good Scot.

darkhorse970 12-03-2010 07:44 AM

Chassis looks great Scot! I love the look of fresh black paint and new hardware!

joe231 12-03-2010 08:03 AM

WOW!
nice work!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

FRENCHBLUE72 12-03-2010 08:47 AM

Damn she is looking good... Cant wait to see some rollers on her.

N2TRUX 12-03-2010 09:27 AM

Wooohooo! Now thats some nice looking parts. No longer piled in the corner, but actually making a truck frame.

I really like that billet hose clamp. Wish I ahd a piar of them...;)

ksbrktracer 12-03-2010 09:34 AM

Man that thing is starting to look good .....!

Jonboy 12-03-2010 09:50 AM

It's really coming along well, Scot. Those rallies are going to be awesome on there!

SCOTI 12-03-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 4328381)
It's really coming along well, Scot. Those rallies are going to be awesome on there!

No Ralleys on this one....

SCOTI 12-03-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2billet (Post 4328261)
DANG!!!! I'm about to tear up........looks really good Scot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse970
Chassis looks great Scot! I love the look of fresh black paint and new hardware!

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231
WOW!
nice work!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72
Damn she is looking good...

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Wooohooo! Now thats some nice looking parts. No longer piled in the corner, but actually making a truck frame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksbrktracer
Man that thing is starting to look good .....!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy
It's really coming along well, Scot.

Thanks guys!

67cheby 12-03-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 4328346)

I really like that billet hose clamp. Wish I ahd a piar of them...;)

that would make two of us... I WONDER.......what the chance are of a guy like me and a clamp like, getting together would be???

SCOTI 12-03-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4328429)
that would make two of us... I WONDER.......what the chance are of a guy like me and a clamp like, getting together would be???

The guy that made them is the next door neighbor of my buddy (Detroit Customs). He's semi-retired & likes this kind of stuff. I wanted to do a run of 50 (25 sets) but needed to make sure they worked before asking to have more made.

If it happens, I'll let you guys know.

67cheby 12-03-2010 10:38 AM

.........So what your saying is THERE IS A CHANCE ?? (DUMB AND DUMBER)