The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Frankentruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768503)

cwcarpenter98 05-28-2021 10:50 PM

Re: Frankentruck

1 Attachment(s)
Got the reverse lights in after I finished up my school work. Was going to also add some tie downs like what I have on the old bed sides, but ran out of daylight and then the rain finally showed up. It gave me time to pack up all my parts for the swap meet tomorrow though. Just have to load them in the truck in the morning and head out

cwcarpenter98 05-29-2021 09:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Went up to the C10 Club GA swap meet in Cleveland, GA today. Had such a great time that I completely forgot to take any pictures of the good stuff there. I sold some stuff, but bought some too :lol:

I found some GMC sill plates, another set of the West Coast Jr. mirrors, and a small back glass sliding window. I also traded a 64-66 grille for a 63 grille since I like the 63 grilles better.

It was a good day of catching up with some friends, talking trucks, and meeting new people.

Here's a couple pics of what the truck looks like from the front. Still more changes to come though

straight6chevyguy 05-30-2021 11:14 AM

Looking good!

cwcarpenter98 05-30-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8926639)
Looking good!

Thanks!

cwcarpenter98 06-04-2021 09:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I started my summer internship this week. Same firm as the spring, just different office so I can be at home to work on Frankentruck some.

I got this around the same time I got the truck, but haven't done anything with it until now. I think this trailer is from a 69 truck because the passenger bed side has a 9 stamped in it near the top inside where the tailgate closes against. The bed sides are completely toast. Both tail light areas are dented in and rust all over. I cut off what little was left attached so I could attack the rusty bolts much easier. It's down to the bare floor for tonight. Going to do a little clean up tomorrow.

The sunset was gorgeous this evening after I finished cleaning up

Also threw on a hubcap for a little motivation :metal:

cwcarpenter98 06-05-2021 07:10 PM

I pressure washed the trailer this morning. I assumed it had a 12 bolt, but to my surprise, it has a Dana 44! Only problem for me is that it's a leaf spring rear end. If it was a coil rear, I'd be swapping it into Frankentruck.

After it dried, I got some rust reformer on where the bedsides mount, but I ran out of paint and then a summer thunderstorm showed up. Hopefully I'll be able to get the sides on tomorrow

cwcarpenter98 06-06-2021 07:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the sides and header panel mocked up today.
I'm getting real excited now about it.

On the header panel, I've decided to use the 67-72 one. The panel from the 65 bed is rusted through on the bottom and I would have to figure out some way to space it. The 69 ish one has a decent bottom flange, fits much better, and is the right height.

My plan is to cut the top corners from the 65 panel, then weld them to the 69 so that it is the same width all the way across. Hopefully the weather will be dry soon so that I can weld it up. The driveway is a little wet from the rain so I don't want to risk getting zapped

kehstr 06-07-2021 09:58 AM

What do you plan to use the truck bed trailer for?

SkinnyG 06-07-2021 10:23 AM

So he can be King of the Landfill, silly!

That's how -I- roll!

https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...Rs-672x372.jpg

cwcarpenter98 06-07-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kehstr (Post 8929617)
What do you plan to use the truck bed trailer for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8929630)
So he can be King of the Landfill, silly!

That's how -I- roll!

https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...Rs-672x372.jpg

Pretty much exactly the plan! :lol:

I'm going to use it for swap meets mostly. Parts storage for parts that are too big for the space in the garage, maybe throw a camper shell on it to do some camping, haul some rock that I don't want in my wood bed, all sorts of stuff that a trailer could be used for. I got it for free, so might as well make it match and then use it

cwcarpenter98 06-07-2021 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Was able to get the first coat of paint on the floor this evening. Battling rain all week, so hopefully I'll get a chance to weld some whenever the driveway dries up

cwcarpenter98 06-12-2021 03:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More progress today on the trailer. 2nd coat of paint down.

Since the header panel that came off the new bed was rusted out at the bottom a fair amount, I decided to use the header panel from the trailer. Just a smidge of cutting and welding required :lol:
Both sides trimmed to fit, now I just have to burn it in.

Only thing I haven't done to the new bed was to put my tie down points in. I've had the parts for it, but the rain this week has kept me from getting it completed until today

Getter-Done 06-12-2021 03:35 PM

Looking Good:metal:

Nice blend.

cwcarpenter98 06-12-2021 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 8931674)
Looking Good:metal:

Nice blend.

Thank you!

Unfortunately for me, that's the only progress I made on the trailer today. We had a couple rain showers blow through, so the spot where I do my welding got completely soaked. Of course, the sun was already behind the roof of the house so that spot wasn't going to dry enough for me to weld today. I don't feel like getting zapped :ack:

That did give me some time to finish putting my tie down points on the new bed. I did the same thing as on the old bed, but this time I used stainless u bolts to add a little bling to it

cwcarpenter98 06-13-2021 08:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Major progress happened today! It's not bolted down completely, but it's on there good enough for tonight.

Got the header panel welded up to mesh the steel floor with the wood floor bedsides. It also gave me more practice on fitting and welding. I'm pleased so far with how it's fitting up

SkinnyG 06-13-2021 09:26 PM

Kind of addictive when it all fits together and welds up nice, isn't it? That can be a slippery slope.

Looks good!

cwcarpenter98 06-13-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8932179)
Kind of addictive when it all fits together and welds up nice, isn't it? That can be a slippery slope.

Looks good!

It definitely is :lol: I'm just sending it with paint, no filler on the trailer, but when I get to doing the major stuff on the truck, my welds will be good enough for a nice skim coat

cwcarpenter98 06-19-2021 04:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made some good progress on the trailer yesterday. I finished bolting it down, hopefully fixed up the wiring (haven't tested yet) and replaced the tongue. I didn't trust the old screw type tongue so I went to four different stores yesterday before I found the 2" ball, 2" beam mount that I needed to work with what I've got.

Today, I went over to Flashed's place to pull the rest of the bed apart. Lots of bolt cutting happened. It's down to the rolling frame now and listed over in the parts board. I hope that someone will be able to use it! I really don't want to have to try to cut it up for parts. The steel looks beefy

cwcarpenter98 06-22-2021 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I tested the trailer lights tonight. Looks like all the lights work, but they were pretty dim. I haven't connected the ground wire from the plug directly to the frame yet. I just used a jumper wire, so that probably didn't help.

Also drove Frankentruck up to the Dawsonville Varsity for the weekly cruise in on Tuesday evenings, but by the time I got there, most of the cars had already left. Didn't take any pictures up there though

Johns 66 06-23-2021 09:20 PM

Looking Good Christian!!!!

cwcarpenter98 06-23-2021 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8936014)
Looking Good Christian!!!!

Thanks, John! Any progress on your truck recently?

cwcarpenter98 06-25-2021 11:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ran up to Blue Ridge this evening for the monthly cruise in. Saw some great cars, and Frankentruck did great both there and back. The weather was perfect for a cruise in today!

straight6chevyguy 06-27-2021 10:20 AM

Nice work on the trailer I like it.

cwcarpenter98 06-27-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8937309)
Nice work on the trailer I like it.

Thanks! It's almost ready to pull, but still have a couple things to do and the joys of getting it legal for the road with the DMV

cwcarpenter98 07-01-2021 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm done with summer classes! Only 7 more grad classes to complete, then my CPA exams of course...

Made some major progress on the trailer today. Got the vin tag for a home made trailer riveted to the frame, installed the bedside braces, and put in the last few missing bolts. Also got my jack installed this evening.

Tomorrow I have to get the trailer inspected by a LEO, then if it passes, I can get the tag for it. Also needs new tires and a diff fluid change. Trying to get this thing ready for the swap meet in Commerce on Saturday!

cwcarpenter98 07-02-2021 10:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Triumph! Followed by a crushing defeat....

New tires, check
Wiring, check
Tongue jack, check
Hubcaps, check
Bumper, check
Vin tag, check
License plate, check
Safety chains, check
Differential cover seal, check
Fresh diff oil, check
Leaky pinion seal, wait.... WHAT!

The trailer ain't going to the swap meet tomorrow, but at least the truck will.

What a bummer, man

cwcarpenter98 07-03-2021 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On a happier note, a c10 in the mountains is really nice, even with a cracked windshield :lol:

straight6chevyguy 07-04-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8939372)
Triumph! Followed by a crushing defeat....

New tires, check
Wiring, check
Tongue jack, check
Hubcaps, check
Bumper, check
Vin tag, check
License plate, check
Safety chains, check
Differential cover seal, check
Fresh diff oil, check
Leaky pinion seal, wait.... WHAT!

The trailer ain't going to the swap meet tomorrow, but at least the truck will.

What a bummer, man

Trust me, I know the feeling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8939663)
On a happier note, a c10 in the mountains is really nice, even with a cracked windshield :lol:

Yep!

cwcarpenter98 07-09-2021 12:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, that was the sketchiest drive I've ever taken Frankentruck on. I've got to move all my crap to a new house in Milly for the next school year, so I decided to tow my dad's utility trailer to make moving the couches easier. Everything was fine until I hit I-20 right as it was starting to get dark. Pretty much my entire time spent on I-20 from 285 to 441, rain was coming down hard. Definitely almost had a couple hydroplanes. One bridge I went over had so much standing water that it splashed clear over my roof! I was going between 35 and 45 most of that section. Frankentruck did well, but I don't want to do that again! :eek:

I would have rather gone to SETN, but this weekend was the only chance that I could move all my crap with some help. Maybe by this time next year I'll have some a/c for the trip up to SETN

cwcarpenter98 07-09-2021 09:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lots of moving furniture today. Got the second load in the new place about a minute before it started pouring rain.

I have been thoroughly pleased with this truck's performance over the past few months. It sure is nice being able to drive it a lot

88Stanger 07-10-2021 10:57 AM

That is so cool to see old truck like that pulling a newer trailer moving stuff....

cwcarpenter98 07-11-2021 02:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8941892)
That is so cool to see old truck like that pulling a newer trailer moving stuff....

I agree, so here's another for ya!

I made it back home around 12:30, unloaded, then talked to my parents for a few. Frankentruck performed flawlessly this whole weekend through rain and sun. I'm sad that I missed SETN, but I was at least able to drive the truck a bunch and get the new living situation set up for the next school year.

Backing up our driveway with the trailer was not good for the clutch... The ode de clutch is quite pungent inside the cab at the moment... Whoops :eek:

I think it's about time I give Frankentruck some much needed tender, loving care. She deserves it after these past couple of months

cwcarpenter98 07-12-2021 03:43 PM

Just got back from the local scrap yard. Had 425lbs in the bed of the truck thanks to the old bedsides off the trailer, a bunch of rusty bolts, and various other rusted out pieces I've collected over the past 6 years. Got $21.25 for it. 5 cents a pound, but it's out of my way!

I completely forgot to take a picture of the truck loaded, but there wasn't a whole bunch of excitement about it

Getter-Done 07-12-2021 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8944221)
Just got back from the local scrap yard. Had 425lbs in the bed of the truck thanks to the old bedsides off the trailer, a bunch of rusty bolts, and various other rusted out pieces I've collected over the past 6 years. Got $21.25 for it. 5 cents a pound, but it's out of my way!

I completely forgot to take a picture of the truck loaded, but there wasn't a whole bunch of excitement about it

And it went to a good place;)

I like recycling.

My normal trip to the scrap yard is.

Get $20.oo for the scrap I brought and pay them $40.oo:lol::lol:

For the stuff I find while I am there:chevy:

cwcarpenter98 07-12-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 8944270)
And it went to a good place;)

I like recycling.

My normal trip to the scrap yard is.

Get $20.oo for the scrap I brought and pay them $40.oo:lol::lol:

For the stuff I find while I am there:chevy:

That's not a bad way to do it :lol:

The one I went to doesn't take full cars, but I did see several fenders, a couple tailgates, and one squarebody door hanging on the wall that people brought in, but they didn't actually scrap it

cwcarpenter98 07-12-2021 09:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally took the trailer on its maiden voyage!

Got the pinion seal on the Dana 44 fixed before dinner. Still need to put the tailgate back on and extend the wiring harness (too short at the tongue), but I'm happy with it :metal:

Next cruise in I go to I'll have to bring the trailer with me

The Rocknrod 07-13-2021 09:31 AM

Did you get it re-inspected yet?

cwcarpenter98 07-13-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8944545)
Did you get it re-inspected yet?

I got the initial inspection done to get the tag, but the tag office didn't say anything about an additional inspection. I think GA is kinda more don't care about that, but the cops will probably pull me over if they see something wrong about it

straight6chevyguy 07-13-2021 11:37 PM

Nice, I like it!
Do you plan on putting a tailgate on the trailer eventually?

cwcarpenter98 07-14-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8945005)
Nice, I like it!
Do you plan on putting a tailgate on the trailer eventually?

Thanks!

I am planning on putting the tailgate back on some time this weekend. The green bed I bought didn't have the hinges, and the ones on my truck now are in very poor shape. I got two sets from member lobuck64 in trade for some GMC sill plates he needed. I just haven't painted the new hinges yet, but hopefully will be able to either tomorrow after work or Friday morning.
The tailgate going back on is the same one that was on the truck when I bought it