The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

4dranch 04-02-2009 06:59 AM

Re: My 1965 build thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3233371)
I started running out of excuses. I could have used that one. My favorite was "I only had 2 ................I didn't count the ones in between." :lol:

Mine is, I don't drink no more.........and no less.

Strodder 04-02-2009 09:08 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Old School Kid 04-02-2009 09:39 PM

Where are you running your car? Road Atlanta or Barbers? I hope the rain holds off for you, good luck! Very jealous :metal:

Alan's Classic 04-02-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3233964)
Mine is, I don't drink no more.........and no less.

:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3235287)
:lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old School Kid (Post 3235358)
Where are you running your car? Road Atlanta or Barbers? I hope the rain holds off for you, good luck! Very jealous :metal:

Talledega Grand prix it's really close to the super speedway here is a Link about the track. So far so good as far as the rain goes. Were running rain or shine.

Alan's Classic 04-03-2009 08:52 PM

Bought a gallon of PPG DG 2084 today................OUCH:jdp:

jgh64pkup 04-03-2009 10:34 PM

man alan almost a full page without pics
:wop:

Captainfab 04-04-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3237082)

Whenever it says PPG on the can it hurts........but it is good paint!

Strodder 04-04-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3237082)

How much is it in your area?

Alan's Classic 04-04-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3237302)
man alan almost a full page without pics
:wop:

Do you miss the pics?;) I'm trying to get thru one page without pix. Nah, not really. Just not much to post up. Been doing a couple little things on the cab.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3237565)
Whenever it says PPG on the can it hurts........but it is good paint!

:agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3237968)
How much is it in your area?

List is $400.65, of course I didn't pay that much. I get a little discount.

Washed the top and 3 sides of the camper today. I'll try to finish it up tommorrow. Then I'm going to wax it.:sumo: I haven't done that since I bought it. That should be a blast. Going camping soon. Also getting loaded up for the race track.

I couldn't help it, I have to post a pic.:lol:

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...1/DSC09190.jpg

Strodder 04-04-2009 10:40 PM

WOW that's seems high. I guess it depends on the color. I'll have to check the price. I get a discount too. I haven't painted anything in a while. Just primered stuff.

Alan's Classic 04-05-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3238813)
WOW that's seems high. I guess it depends on the color. I'll have to check the price. I get a discount too. I haven't painted anything in a while. Just primered stuff.

It is high. I need to start painting stuff white so the paint will be cheaper. As far as solid colors go they say red is the most expensive. Orange ain't too far from being red. I'm curious what the list is for the same thing out there?

My plan is too single stage everything then color sand and clear everything. I did a test on some panels and it really makes the paint have a deeper look to it.

jason65 04-05-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3231637)
I need to stop drinking I'm seeing double post.........

or Someone else needs to stop drinking and double posting...

whats really sad is I read them both..:lol:

I think we need to start drinking more, till we see more pics.

neto 04-06-2009 08:07 PM

Hey Alan
I just ordered a gallon of slick sand and a quart of seam sealer. My question is did you or do you put etching or epoxy primer on the metal before the slick sand? I have the whole cab down to metal.
Thanks
Ernest

Alan's Classic 04-06-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neto (Post 3242294)
Hey Alan
I just ordered a gallon of slick sand and a quart of seam sealer. My question is did you or do you put etching or epoxy primer on the metal before the slick sand? I have the whole cab down to metal.
Thanks
Ernest

I put Dp90 on first, scuffed/sanded the damaged areas, did the metal repair and filler work. Then I sprayed slick sand. Be sure to read all of the instructions on the can, to make sure I don't steer you wrong. Slick sand is really thick so beware.

It's been a long day at the track and had a great time. I drove about 90 miles on the track and used 3/4 tank of gas. I guess that happens when you stay around the 6500 rpm range all of the time. :lol: It was all good til I got home and downloaded the video from a camera a guy let me borrow. Everytime I turned it on and hit the record botton it recorded about 35 seconds. That was just enough time for me to get out of the pits. We ran 15 minute sessions. I'm so pissed off, it would have been some good shots of me saving a couple slides. I was 90 degrees one time and pulled it out. I'm not an experienced driver, just lucky. it was my first time doing something like that. i just wish I had some video from inside of the car. I had a person on the ground film a little. Needless-to-say he wasn't an experienced camera guy. I'll have to do some serious editing to that one.

neto 04-07-2009 12:00 AM

Thanks Alan. Sorry to hear of your camera problems but you still had a blast I bet.

drogers 04-07-2009 09:52 PM

Washed the top and 3 sides of the camper today. I'll try to finish it up tommorrow. Then I'm going to wax it.:sumo: I haven't done that since I bought it. That should be a blast. Going camping soon. Also getting loaded up for the race track.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...1/DSC09190.jpg[/QUOTE]

Man, you guys sure have a lot of cool toys!

Strodder 04-07-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drogers (Post 3244407)

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...1/DSC09190.jpg

Man, you guys sure have a lot of cool toys![/QUOTE]

You should be ashamed of yourself posting a picture of a FORD on a Chevy Forum.:lol::lol:

70 Suburban 04-07-2009 10:39 PM

there is just no teaching some ppl. but as we know work a ford to the grave yard... keep the chevy for life

Alan's Classic 04-07-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3244470)
You should be ashamed of yourself posting a picture of a FORD on a Chevy Forum.:lol::lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70 Suburban (Post 3244548)
there is just no teaching some ppl. but as we know work a ford to the grave yard... keep the chevy for life

:haha::haha: The ratio of Chevy to F*rd's in my yard is 4:1 :lol:

Here is a still pic of the back stretch.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...rackdaypic.jpg

Here is the video I had to edit out some of the bad filming. It was cold and windy out there, so the old guy didn't stay out there long. This was my second lap after getting on the track trying to warm up the tires. I ran street tires before lunch and then ran racing tires. What a difference in grip. This film was the first run after lunch. So I wasn't pushing it much the first couple of laps. I'm so thankful to the guy for filming this for me cause it's all I have. I figured out that it was operator error was the reason the in car failed. The on/off button was on the side of the unit and it slide around in the console and hit the button. I guess in hindsite I should have stabalized it.:sumo:

Now that I have done that, I guess I will sell the Miata now. Or try too.

70 Suburban 04-07-2009 11:40 PM

lol i was running a NIssan 240sx. with a sr20det turbo 400hp 395 tq.. tien edfc adjustable coilovers. haltech e6x momo corse II with 5point. front rear stablizers. rear ifs with both front and rear tube upper and lower control arms.toe rods and droped hymes to help with oversteer.loved itand now miss it.. dont sell it your regret it we all need a little toy to play with

Strodder 04-07-2009 11:59 PM

Looks like fun. If you do sell it try a Vette. They call it Corvette Fever once you do.
I've have 9 Corvettes since I was 19. From 1959 to 1999. I love them.
:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:
I'm with out one right now, and I need another one. There only one thing stopping me. $$,$$$.$$ :lol:

daverod 04-08-2009 08:55 PM

And a fun time was had by all. Enjoyed the video. Looks like you had a blast. Don't let the Ford thing upset you I think I accidentally got one in a shot of mine. Later Daverod:metal::metal:

Alan's Classic 04-08-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70 Suburban (Post 3244685)
lol i was running a NIssan 240sx. with a sr20det turbo 400hp 395 tq.. tien edfc adjustable coilovers. haltech e6x momo corse II with 5point. front rear stablizers. rear ifs with both front and rear tube upper and lower control arms.toe rods and droped hymes to help with oversteer.loved itand now miss it.. dont sell it your regret it we all need a little toy to play with

That would have been a blast to drive. Mine still needs some tuning to get it's full potential. It has the link engine management.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3244716)
Looks like fun. If you do sell it try a Vette. They call it Corvette Fever once you do.
I've have 9 Corvettes since I was 19. From 1959 to 1999. I love them.
:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:
I'm with out one right now, and I need another one. There only one thing stopping me. $$,$$$.$$

I haven't had 9, but I did have a 75 and a 99. i really liked the 99. It was an unbelievable piece of machinery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3246161)
And a fun time was had by all. Enjoyed the video. Looks like you had a blast. Don't let the Ford thing upset you I think I accidentally got one in a shot of mine. Later Daverod

The in car video would have caught some great footage. I need to quit dwelling on that and move on. Now I don't have any excuses not to work on the 65. Other than overhauling the kitchen someday soon.:sumo:

Strodder 04-08-2009 09:50 PM

The 99 I had was the worst Vette I ever had. I loved the way it looked. Must have been a Lemon though. I wouldn't mind having another one.
http://belair.smugmug.com/photos/8564359_cGdwE-M.jpg

70 Suburban 04-08-2009 11:03 PM

it was fun... lots of money and time. I spent a year in japan building it only to ship it back to here in parts to start over...

Alan's Classic 04-14-2009 11:12 PM

Got to work on the cab some tonight, finally. Got the driver side seam sealed.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/DSC09211.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/DSC09212.jpg

While seam sealing the wire trough on the cowl, I realized the pinch weld actually came up and was nearly impossible to seam seal with what I had. In hind sight I should have smoothed that area also. At the time I didn't want too because it was just something else to slow me down.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/DSC09191.jpg

I used 3M strip caulk to pack in the area that was nearly impossible to seal with a 2 part sealer without making a big mess. It worked out really nice. I didn't take a pic cause it wouldn't show up in the pic of the area I'm describing.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/DSC09195.jpg

Also cut off and clean up the seat mounts that I tack welded in place so I could drill the holes thru the bracket and floor at the same time. I labeled them prior to removing.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/DSC09215.jpg

jason65 04-14-2009 11:17 PM

Nice looking progress. Looks a lot better than what I could do. Why do they call it calk? And why do people always look at me funny when I walk around with my calk in my hand?

Alan's Classic 04-14-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3257783)
Nice looking progress. Looks a lot better than what I could do. Why do they call it calk? And why do people always look at me funny when I walk around with my calk in my hand?

Thanks Jason and I think i will stay away from the 2nd question.:lol:

4dranch 04-14-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3257796)
Thanks Jason and I think i will stay away from the 2nd question.:lol:

You are a very smart man Alan:lol::lol:

jason65 04-14-2009 11:33 PM

I'm sorry. I have a problem with that filter that goes between my brain and the rest of me.

Alan's Classic 04-14-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3257804)
You are a very smart man Alan:lol::lol:

Who knows where that would have ended up.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3257831)
I'm sorry. I have a problem with that filter that goes between my brain and the rest of me.

What filter?:lol:

Strodder 04-15-2009 10:05 AM

Allan I was going to weld up the seams above the windshield, Should that be caulked instead because of body flex? I want it to look smooth, and clean looking.
And I have a filter, but it's plugged up. :lol:

Alan's Classic 04-15-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3258401)
Allan I was going to weld up the seams above the windshield, Should that be caulked instead because of body flex? I want it to look smooth, and clean looking.
And I have a filter, but it's plugged up. :lol:

I thought about welding mine up and that is far as i got. If I did everything I thought about doing the truck would never get done. Welding it would take the flex out of it. So if you want it smooth I'd weld it. Just my .02. Where will you stop the weld, in the jamb?

I have upgraded my filter to one word a day (most of the time).:lol: For myself as i get older I have this urge to try to be a better person all the way around. Is it just me, or is this a common thing that happens to men as they get older?

70 Suburban 04-15-2009 12:17 PM

I have seen a 65 with the entire drip rail and body seam welded.

Strodder 04-15-2009 02:17 PM

Allan, Yea I'm going to weld it from the windshield jam to the roof.
I said my filter is clogged, but that doesn't make sense. I should say at my age the filter is worn out. I take in all the dirt. :lol:

70 Sub, I'm also going to bend the drip rails over, and weld them too. I'll make them look like a small flare, and blend into the roof. I've never seen it done before, but should look good. I had a 48 Studebaker Truck, and there's were I got the idea from. It was that way stock and I thought it looked custom.

4dranch 04-15-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3258602)

I have upgraded my filter to one word a day (most of the time).:lol: For myself as i get older I have this urge to try to be a better person all the way around. Is it just me, or is this a common thing that happens to men as they get older?

I have upgraded my filter also Alan, But mine must be full because my belly just keeps on growing....:lol:

Then I purge it out with some Busch and I'm good to go:metal:

Alan's Classic 04-15-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3258802)

70 Sub, I'm also going to bend the drip rails over, and weld them too. I'll make them look like a small flare, and blend into the roof. I've never seen it done before, but should look good. I had a 48 Studebaker Truck, and there's were I got the idea from. It was that way stock and I thought it looked custom.

That is an interesting idea. Will you hammer it down like a door skin?

I ran cable out to the shop today for the TV.:metal:

Still prepping the cab for paint. Just alot of work and nothing to take pics of. It's getting close to the last coat of primer

Strodder 04-16-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3259890)
That is an interesting idea. Will you hammer it down like a door skin?

I ran cable out to the shop today for the TV.:metal:

Still prepping the cab for paint. Just alot of work and nothing to take pics of. It's getting close to the last coat of primer

Yea, I'll hammer, & weld them down, and add metal on the rear lip. Then skim coat it. It looks like it will be time consuming, but worth it. I'm daring to be different.

Now that you have TV, you won't get anything done. :lol: I have Speed Channel on almost all day. Some times I stop doing what I'm doing, pull out chair, and just watch TV. But that's OK. I'm supposed to be retired. Or should I say retarded. :lol:
Say it along with me out loud.
I AM WE TODD IT
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT.
:haha::haha::haha:

neto 04-16-2009 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Alan do you know were I can get one of these front windshield pillar trim? Or should I just take them off? LOL because I seem to ask you all the questions. Sorry.
Ernest

Alan's Classic 04-16-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3260428)
Yea, I'll hammer, & weld them down, and add metal on the rear lip. Then skim coat it. It looks like it will be time consuming, but worth it. I'm daring to be different.

Now that you have TV, you won't get anything done. :lol: I have Speed Channel on almost all day. Some times I stop doing what I'm doing, pull out chair, and just watch TV. But that's OK. I'm supposed to be retired. Or should I say retarded. :lol:
Say it along with me out loud.
I AM WE TODD IT
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT.
:haha::haha::haha:

Ain't it suppossed to be "We Todd DID" :lol::lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by neto (Post 3260780)
Hey Alan do you know were I can get one of these front windshield pillar trim? Or should I just take them off? LOL because I seem to ask you all the questions. Sorry.
Ernest

I threw mine in the trash. Don't be scared to ask, were here to help each other.