The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

ravens65 01-26-2010 05:41 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

3 Attachment(s)
well... finally got the rear fenders primered and installed, hard to get anything done since I took on a new job. They are working me to death , went to naples fl , then jacksonville fl, then to ocala fl . two weeks with one day off ,enough about that . I love the look of the 41-48 tail lights mounted in the fenders , never cared much for the stock tail lights that looked like an after-thought. I'd like to say hi to all my friend on this site, no i haven't forgotten about you guys . next time that I go out of town i'll take a laptop so I can keep in touch Eric

Vernski 01-26-2010 06:13 PM

Hey Eric I like the look with those taillights very cool.---Vernski:smoke:

DWright 01-26-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sams60gmc (Post 3758663)
Very cool. That's inspiration to get my butt in gear. Do you have any pictures of your front mounts?

which mounts are you referring to? motor or bag mounts? i'm using the motor mounts from the '79 and the bag mounts were ordered from the good people at ***************** specifically for the '79 crossmember.

Turkey 01-26-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC BUFFARD (Post 3759065)
well... finally got the rear fenders primered and installed, hard to get anything done since I took on a new job. They are working me to death , went to naples fl , then jacksonville fl, then to ocala fl . two weeks with one day off ,enough about that . I love the look of the 41-48 tail lights mounted in the fenders , never cared much for the stock tail lights that looked like an after-thought. I'd like to say hi to all my friend on this site, no i haven't forgotten about you guys . next time that I go out of town i'll take a laptop so I can keep in touch Eric

Nice tail lights!! Mine's legal now, so you might see me driving through Clermont on the way to Webster.

ruffrida2005 01-26-2010 09:57 PM

Hey Eric good to see you get some work done on the truck. I hear ya on the one days off thang. Hope they dont kill you at the job.

protrash64 01-26-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWright (Post 3759168)
which mounts are you referring to? motor or bag mounts? i'm using the motor mounts from the '79 and the bag mounts were ordered from the good people at ***************** specifically for the '79 crossmember.

I'd like to see a pic of your motor mounts if you get a chance to take one. I need to use the same type in my burb....I'd like to see how they mount in there.

DWright 01-26-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3760075)
I'd like to see a pic of your motor mounts if you get a chance to take one. I need to use the same type in my burb....I'd like to see how they mount in there.

i'll try to snap some pics tomorrow. they mount about the same way the stockers would to the crossmember but they sit about 1" above the frame rails and spacers need to be made for them to work.:splat:

ruffrida2005 01-26-2010 11:45 PM

The 73-87 mounts are taller because the frame is taller then the 63-72 correct.

If anyone needs some V8 mounts I have a pair that has nothing wrong with them that I'll sell.

DWright 01-26-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3760166)
The 73-87 mounts are taller because the frame is taller then the 63-72 correct.

If anyone needs some V8 mounts I have a pair that has nothing wrong with them that I'll sell.

good lookin' out.:agree:

427mike 01-27-2010 12:59 PM

Warmed up the garage so I could go out and look for the small bracket that I lost last year. Looked at my baby and then went back inside. Took maybe all of 20 minutes. Winter is cool and yet, its cold !

silvervic99stang 01-27-2010 10:33 PM

installed a distributor on it and set the timing the best i could....drove it about 2 miles down the highway, it drove well but at hard acceleration it would stall out a little, I have a leak on my stock carburator need a new one for my 292

LILRED66 01-27-2010 10:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
We made a little more progress on OLRED66.

ruffrida2005 01-27-2010 10:50 PM

Your going with a dark stain Red.

I got my SD wishbone in today so I started mocking it up a little, wont really be able to mess with it till this weekend if I get some gas for the mig.

SCOTI 01-27-2010 11:23 PM

We set the steel floor back on the frame to determine a plan of action on the fuel fill piping. Since everything 'looks' ok, I decided to start cutting up the floor so the filler neck has a nice, smooth & flat surface (for the gasket). I got some steel tacked in place but not much more. My buddy needed to get home so we yanked the bed off again to store it against the wall/out of the way.

Tonight, I picked up some of those car dollies to use as casters for moving the bed floor in the same upright position it's stored. My plan is to center the floor on the dollies & ratchet strap F/R to each side of a dolly. I'm hoping their low center of gravity will allow me to scoot the floor along w/o anyone's help as I work solo alot & moving a swb steel floor isn't easy.

ss69bowtie 01-29-2010 12:16 AM

Technically yesterday now I bought my first 60-66 truck.
66 GMC short bed, fleet side, V-8(now newer crate 350) big back window.
99% rust free, 95% straight, 97% mechanically sound, 96% complete, and about 50% assembled. I'll throw up some "before" pics pretty soon, not that I'm going money-pit with her.
Immediate plans: rear wheel cylinder and air up flat so she moves.
fix dent on back of roof and a few little dings so I can primer her.
Install glass, trim, lights, pretty much put humpty dumpty back together again.
put a panel in bed so I can throw crap in there without losing it, and tires.

Eventually: Front disc conversion and booster
power steering
Replace Saginaw with a T-5 I have sitting around for Overdrive.
Tow hitch
Rear roll pan
tach

Thanks in advance for the tech info. I've already started doing my homework.

If I had a signature I'd probably tell you something about my blown 57" Chev.

SCOTI 01-29-2010 01:09 AM

I worked on the bed floor a little more & I'm much closer to completing the fuel fill line. See my build thread for details....

DWright 01-29-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss69bowtie (Post 3765281)
Technically yesterday now I bought my first 60-66 truck.
66 GMC short bed, fleet side, V-8(now newer crate 350) big back window.
99% rust free, 95% straight, 97% mechanically sound, 96% complete, and about 50% assembled. I'll throw up some "before" pics pretty soon, not that I'm going money-pit with her.
Immediate plans: rear wheel cylinder and air up flat so she moves.
fix dent on back of roof and a few little dings so I can primer her.
Install glass, trim, lights, pretty much put humpty dumpty back together again.
put a panel in bed so I can throw crap in there without losing it, and tires.

Eventually: Front disc conversion and booster
power steering
Replace Saginaw with a T-5 I have sitting around for Overdrive.
Tow hitch
Rear roll pan
tach

Thanks in advance for the tech info. I've already started doing my homework.

If I had a signature I'd probably tell you something about my blown 57" Chev.

congrats on the new toy and welcome! :metal:

LILRED66 01-29-2010 02:32 PM

Welcome to the forums ss69bowtie. Post some pictures of your truck, so we can enjoy it. You will find a wealth of knowledge on this site, so don't hesitate to ask. Take care and good luck with your project.

Rich 5150 69 01-29-2010 11:09 PM

All I seem to do lately is get to work to many hours, drive my truck everyday to and from.....:waah:

ruffrida2005 01-29-2010 11:18 PM

I built all my brackets for my 4 link and bags at work on the CNC, I love those things.

Hottrucks 01-29-2010 11:26 PM

took the truck out to get the news papre and pick up some milk down at the store...it aint much but is better than nothing....Oh did I mention that its -9* and the frost heaves are getting so high in the midle of the travel lane that riding low is alomost out of the question

Turkey 01-30-2010 03:59 PM

Got my tail lights put back together. Primered the tail gate trunions. Took the dog for a ride.

slepysal 01-30-2010 05:35 PM

Swaped out the tail gate on the stepside, drove the fleetside ( no rain!!)
plan on toping off the trany

Hottrucks 01-30-2010 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
went to the train station

ol Curt 01-30-2010 07:13 PM

Started putting my Hurst shifter in. Had to get my wife to hold it from the top while I bolted something on the bottom. After several sighs and a few how much longers, I said...hey...it's not like I asked you to polish my knob, just hang onto it for a minute! She found a lot less humor in it than I!:lol::lol:

ruffrida2005 01-30-2010 10:24 PM

That's funny Bob, my wife would have just droped it.

SCOTI 01-30-2010 10:44 PM

I worked on my fuel fill line again after getting off work this afternoon. This one task is taking entirely too long for my patience. I'm struggling to get what I feel is enough 'slope' so that all fuel runs into the tank.

shortbed70 01-31-2010 12:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Im taking steps backward and removed the rear suspension! Damn the rusted bolts and busted knuckles so I can figure where my notch is going. Heres how it sits without notch on the frame. I only smacked the same thumb twice...

kev63rod 01-31-2010 12:13 AM

well i started cutting out my rockers for rust repair. im excited, this is the first time ive posted in this thread. i hope the weather is nice this week and i can get more done.

GMCMG 01-31-2010 12:30 AM

I pulled driveshaft/brake lines/suspension loose/CUT the rear axle loose from my frame (U-bolt nuts were froze solid) on my way to a front disc/5 lugs all around conversion. This project has been too slow due to cold weather... Hoping to start pulling the front end apart tomorrow! (66 Chevy 3/4 ton frame for my 64 GMC build)

skoffice 01-31-2010 01:25 AM

I unloaded my new 8.8 rear axle out of my jeep today for the '64. I think I might go into the garage right now and start tinkering with it, maybe mount my fuel pump too.

steveb64 01-31-2010 11:36 AM

Took the idiot light instrument panel out in preparation to put a gauge instrument panel in. Also, took the heater control and cables out, replaced the broken heater control levers, and lubed up the control cables. Will be putting this all back in today. It's supposed to get to about 24 degrees outside today, so it won't be too bad. The sun will heat up the cab a bit and make it bearable, too much snow/ice yet to move the truck to the garage.

ChopperDr 01-31-2010 04:56 PM

I spent the last few days stripping the paint off a hood I just bought. Looks like my old hood will take less work than the new one. $100 wasted.

Chop

198plus 01-31-2010 06:23 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol Curt (Post 3769011)
Started putting my Hurst shifter in. Had to get my wife to hold it from the top while I bolted something on the bottom. After several sighs and a few how much longers, I said...hey...it's not like I asked you to polish my knob, just hang onto it for a minute! She found a lot less humor in it than I!:lol::lol:

lakeroadster 01-31-2010 08:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another update for the continuing saga of installing a Camaro dash in my '65 C10 SWB SS: Test fit a "Covans" aftermarket dash panel. I was amazed at how well this fit with only some slight trimming. This will allow me to use stock dash mount style gauges.

Now I need to drop some serious "coin" for gauges.

Also attached my floor handbrake cables up to the rear brakes. I was pleased to find that the hand brake works great. Brakes get good and tight with still some extra ratchet pull yet to go.

Nick's81 01-31-2010 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
bought it and hauled home 66 1/2 ton 2wd

Envy 01-31-2010 11:05 PM

http://s1.postimage.org/PUaq9.jpg

Chevy Fleetside 02-03-2010 12:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I tured the crappy green firewall, black. I am going to try and get the engine and tranny stabbed in this weekend.

Nick's81 02-03-2010 02:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
got engine swaped and front wrap mostly re installed

Vernski 02-03-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 3771305)
Another update for the continuing saga of installing a Camaro dash in my '65 C10 SWB SS: Test fit a "Covans" aftermarket dash panel. I was amazed at how well this fit with only some slight trimming. This will allow me to use stock dash mount style gauges.

Now I need to drop some serious "coin" for gauges.

Also attached my floor handbrake cables up to the rear brakes. I was pleased to find that the hand brake works great. Brakes get good and tight with still some extra ratchet pull yet to go.

Lakroadster what kind of gauges are you are you going to install ?---Vernski:uhmk: