The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1968 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=545446)

~Whitey~ 04-16-2013 10:14 AM

Re: 1968

Brian's right davis, you can see in this post, what the factory mounts look like and where they need to be placed. In my configuration anyway. 350 and TH350 transmission.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...6&postcount=31

gdavis 04-16-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6014768)
I have to remove the manual transmission reinforcement crossmember on mine this week also, I'm not looking forward to it but it has to be done.

Just put it in your mind that it has to be done and do it. as you can see I did and now I am happy. I am going to leave the motor out for a while. I think I will run my brake lines on the front first. I know I should have done that already but I thought i could do it later. Well I put it off and still it has not been done. The second shift are not doing their job. Let me know what trouble you have doing yours.

gdavis 04-16-2013 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6015055)
Why are you drilling two new holes for the engine perches, the stock V8 perches will fit in the factory drilled holes closest to the radiator, and if they don't then they arent 67-72 v8 perches.

They came off of a V8 motor. I assume that they were. Anyway I drilled the new holes today. I know what assume means. So what you are saying is I don't have V8 stands. Here is a picture of the same stands I am using. What do you think?

gdavis 04-16-2013 09:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I went outside and took two pictures of the perches in the truck. I have already drilled holes, but will I have any problems using these in the future. If you think I might then I will get a new set. For heaven knows I have had my share of problems in this motor change.

frostbyte 04-16-2013 09:19 PM

looks great. keep up the great work.

Xeen 04-16-2013 09:33 PM

I will look at my V8 small block perches, and crossmember mounting location and compare and get back to you.

Mustard72 04-16-2013 10:47 PM

So you were able to pound out all of the rivets? I've ground off lots of them on the Mustard project, and only get about 25% of them to pound out after grinding off the head. I end up using the torch to cut stuff apart at that point.

I think I have a set of small block perches if you need them.

gdavis 04-17-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6016679)
So you were able to pound out all of the rivets? I've ground off lots of them on the Mustard project, and only get about 25% of them to pound out after grinding off the head. I end up using the torch to cut stuff apart at that point.

I think I have a set of small block perches if you need them.

compair them to mine and see which ones I have and if your are the same well I will use these. But if your are different then tell me how much?

gdavis 04-17-2013 08:51 PM

Today, I just layed around and rested and getting ready for court tomorrow. I got called as a witness on a case that I would like to stay away from. This guy did some bad things to some kids and now he thinks I will help. It would have been wise to never call me as a witness. Anyway guys say a pray or two for me tonight.
so intill I post again God Bless

Zoomin 04-17-2013 09:13 PM

If his attorney is sharp at all, he's going to interview you before you ever get close to getting on the stand.

Praying for you.

Mustard72 04-18-2013 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Prayers sent. Sounds like an ugly case.

In lighter news, here is a pic of the extra engine mount perches I have alongside the originals from Mustard (72 350 truck). They look pretty much identical as far as I can tell. The extra set came with a frame I picked up and there was no engine in it. If you want them, pay the shipping and they're yours.

~Whitey~ 04-18-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6018394)
... I got called as a witness on a case that I would like to stay away from. This guy did some bad things to some kids and now he thinks I will help. It would have been wise to never call me as a witness. Anyway guys say a pray or two for me tonight.
so intill I post again God Bless ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 6018459)
If his attorney is sharp at all, he's going to interview you before you ever get close to getting on the stand.

Praying for you.

EEww. Man hope all goes well... Like Zoomin says I'm sure you'll be interviewed by his lawyer, just do what you think is right and you may never have to even take the stand. prayer sent out for ya.

Mustard72 04-18-2013 12:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more. Definitely different (shorter, and fit the holes) than the ones you have. Uglier, but they fit, and you already know what to do about the ugly.

gdavis 04-18-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6019643)
Prayers sent. Sounds like an ugly case.

In lighter news, here is a pic of the extra engine mount perches I have alongside the originals from Mustard (72 350 truck). They look pretty much identical as far as I can tell. The extra set came with a frame I picked up and there was no engine in it. If you want them, pay the shipping and they're yours.

Sure, I will pay shipping on a pair left and right. Let me know how much and I will send it to you. I got on the information forum last night and there was a guy there that said. Don't use the six cly. perches on a small block. He said that they would give me problems. Cause the motor will set higher in the front and that would change several things. The most important is the level in the oil pan. The tall boy valve cover that I was planing on using could not be used. only short valve covers. The headers might be a problem also. So I am glad that you and Bryan Keen saw what I was going to do. I really did think that they were V8 perches. Thanks for straighting me out on the perches. Thanks so much for the for the help on the perches. I have two sets of 6 cly. if you need some. Both pair has been blasted and painted. Again thanks so much your friend Gdavis.

gdavis 04-18-2013 01:12 PM

Guys, thanks for the prayer on the court case. The lawer didn't interview me. He came out and seen that I was a litter upset with the whole thing. He figured that he better cut his loses and he excused me from the witness list. God does answer prays.

Xeen 04-18-2013 01:44 PM

Hey GDavis;
I also have a set of V8 perches that are already painted and ready to go if you need them.

gdavis 04-18-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6019773)
Hey GDavis;
I also have a set of V8 perches that are already painted and ready to go if you need them.

thanks

gdavis 04-18-2013 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I repainted the fire wall on the truck. I strached it a little when I pulled the motor. Next I'am going to run the front brake lines before I reinstall the motor. It still has shadows so I will repaint it again. Do it again untill I am satified.

Mustard72 04-18-2013 08:07 PM

Don't give me the credit for knowing about perch difference. I learned some stuff from that one, too. I just knew I had the extra set of what turned out to be small block perches.

Glad the court thing turned out.

gdavis 04-19-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6020525)
Don't give me the credit for knowing about perch difference. I learned some stuff from that one, too. I just knew I had the extra set of what turned out to be small block perches.

Glad the court thing turned out.

thanks a lot man stay in the right lane. Let life go on it way. Don't be in a hurry.

gdavis 04-20-2013 04:46 PM

Today, It rained off and on all day long. So I didn't get anything done on the old girl. I did take the speed gage apart and paint the litter arm orange. So I got together all my brake line parts that I will be ordering from speedway. Hope to finish the brake lines from front to rear this week. That is if the parts come in.

gdavis 04-21-2013 09:20 PM

Today, is Sunday. Did nothing on the truck. I did walk out and looked at it if that counts. Rested again and spent time with the family. I try and not work on Sunday for that is Church day and God's day. Well I hope to install the new fuel pump and lines tomorrow or Tuesday. Guys I have parted four trucks out for my build and have some parts that are to good to through away. So If anyone needs anything fell free to ask.

gdavis 04-21-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6019660)
Here's a couple more. Definitely different (shorter, and fit the holes) than the ones you have. Uglier, but they fit, and you already know what to do about the ugly.

well that makes you 43 right. and I do know what to do about ugly.

Mustard72 04-22-2013 01:29 AM

Yep, 43. Two years older than my truck (although 1 year younger than the doors, 3 years younger than the bed I removed from it, about the same age as the "new" frame....)

Sorry for the delay in shipping the perches. They're going out tomorrow. My wife is the shipping expert in the family, and she was too busy last week to get them out before the weekend.

You wouldn't happen to have a black dash pad, would you? Or maybe a 72 door pull (fort he inside of the door, screws to the panel)?

gdavis 04-22-2013 08:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today I installed the brake booster and master cly. and port. valve. My port valve bracket was wrong so I built one. Don't look like a pro but it will work and also installed the vent door handles with the knob type. I like these better.
In one of the pictures You can see how the PO had it to work. I don't think Gemeral Motors design it that way. I know they didn't. What can I do except for replaceing the booster? I thought about threading the booster rod and attaching a buckle type to hook to the rod buckle. Which comes out from under the dash. which attaches to the brake pedal. What do you guys think? Looking for ideas.........

Xeen 04-22-2013 09:21 PM

Hey gdavis;
Is the original bracket that's attached to the vacuum booster removable, if so unbolt it and set it aside, then bolt the booster to the new truck bracket directly.
If it doesnt bolt up to the stock truck style bracket then it's the wrong booster for this truck.
What happened to the connecting rod it looks like it was cut off.

Mustard72 04-22-2013 10:52 PM

I agree. You shouldn't need both mounting brackets. Here's a picture of the setup on Mustard before I took it all apart. I thought I had some better pics of it, but apparently not.

Mustard72 04-22-2013 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops. Here's the pic.

Xeen 04-23-2013 07:25 PM

gdavis;
In the lower LH position of the brake booster bracket there is supposed to be a special raised section where your steering column firewall bracket fits under it then you put a bolt through it to hold it securely in place.

gdavis 04-23-2013 08:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today, I removed the second bracket and mounted it to the fire wall. I went to the welding shop today and they are making me a set of brackets. Whickis really not brackets. They are a wedge or a tri angle out of alumium. 1/2 inch thick by 3/4 wide and 4 1/4 inches tall. When I am done it will set level and against the fire wall. New booster 59.95, set of alumium angles 10.00. I only have a spacer for now. It gave me the distances to measure. The angles will be done in a day or two. Then I welded my rod out of the booster with the rodunder the dash. It fits great. I will post pictures of the end result maybe Wednesday or Thursday.

gdavis 04-23-2013 08:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In picture number four on this post is the brake pedal with two holes in it. Does the rod fit into the top hole or the bottom. I also ran my small lines to the p-valve. The small lines are made out of nickle, bronze and steel. Which makes bending a snap.
Since this truck did not come with a 350 what fuel pump do I use? I have a two line pumo and a three line pump. But I don't like the slip on lines. On both pumps. Do they make a pump that has threads for all lines? I think it would be better than the slip hose and do away with a future leaking problem.

mjensen 04-23-2013 09:08 PM

Looking great!

Maddoxdb 04-24-2013 08:48 AM

Coming along nice. When I went to get a fuel pump for my blazer at o'reillys they didn't have the one with 3 lines. On their system the 3 line is listed for auto trans trucks and 2 line is listed for manual trans. I used the 2 line as that is what was on mine already. The 3rd port is a return line to the tank to relieve excess pressure. Dustin
Posted via Mobile Device

Xeen 04-24-2013 12:42 PM

If you plan to run without emissions then the 2 line pump is what you need, as far as plumbing the return line I would use metal fuel line for the majority and the best quality 5/16" hose you can get for sections that need connections.

gdavis 04-24-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6031684)
If you plan to run without emissions then the 2 line pump is what you need, as far as plumbing the return line I would use metal fuel line for the majority and the best quality 5/16" hose you can get for sections that need connections.

I have them both. A three line and a two line. Just wanted to know what would be better?

gdavis 04-24-2013 09:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today, I worked on the dry fit of the steering colum. I am not going to use the one I have in the truck. I am not totally concerned with this one. I will be getting a tilt in the future. Going to get it running and then I'll see. I did clean and paint the colum. This was a person want get all dirty working on it.

Hey guys how do a person get the fire wall boot over the colum shifter????? I tried and riped it so now I have to get another one. There got to be something I am doing wrong. Like holding my mouth wrong or bitting my lower lip.??????????????????????????????????????

Here it is Tuesday and I am no furter alone than I was last week. I did figure out the brake booster though.

gdavis 04-24-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6031684)

I'll go to the parts depot tomorrow. Or what we locals call advance auto. A real small place. if I need some parts changes are they will have to order them. But that is one of the draw backs of living in a small town.

Xeen 04-24-2013 09:28 PM

gdavis;
It's time to suck it up and buy a tilt column from CPP, besides $350 isn't that much money and you will be a lot happier anyway, call and ask for Jeff Norton at CPP for a 10% discount, tell him you are a member of 67-72chevytrucks.com that will knock $35 off the cost of the column.
To answer your question you will need to remove the splined steering shaft to get the new boot on.

gdavis 04-25-2013 08:11 PM

Today, I sand blasted the new perches that Rick sent me. Thanks so much Rick. I primed and painted them black. So tomorrow I will mount them on the engine. I also mounted the new E-brake off of the 72 on the 68 cab. I like the foot brake style better. The only thing is I need to know where the E brake cable come thru the fire wall. Will I have to drill a hole for the E-brake cable and how about the gromit. What does it look like. Rick can you take a picture of yours and where it comes thru the fire wall and post in on my site.

gdavis 04-25-2013 08:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more pictures