The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

daveshilling 07-23-2021 01:55 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janky59 (Post 8940055)
Really over the past week, installed a T5 in my ‘59. It all went smoothly, bolted up easily, needed the driveshaft shortened, a great improvement though, a lot more fun to drive.

Man I'd love to do this. I've done quite a bit of searching locally for a used T5 in my area and have failed. I assume you bought a rebuilt unit?

toymanbob 07-24-2021 08:32 AM

On it's tires, first time

1 Attachment(s)
Sitting on it's own tires and wheels for the first time! I like the stance, the wheels look perfect, it is full of fluid and ready for the first test drive but.......................When I tried to shift out of park today, there was no connection to the shift rod. I knew it could happen when I took the el cheapo path to obtaining a short steering column. These steering columns, made by Saginaw and shared by GM and Chrysler, can be shortened easily by just applying enough force to collapse the column to the desired length. The problem is internal, the shift connection between the shift lever and the tab that connects to the trans is two tubes that are locked together by nylon tabs that break when shortened. Tomorrow I'll pull the column, try to locate the hidden connection point, cut a slot and mig weld the two tubes together. Anyway, here it is

mick53 07-24-2021 10:48 AM

Re: On it's tires, first time

Quote:

Originally Posted by toymanbob (Post 8949024)
Sitting on it's own tires and wheels for the first time! I like the stance, the wheels look perfect, it is full of fluid and ready for the first test drive but.......................When I tried to shift out of park today, there was no connection to the shift rod. I knew it could happen when I took the el cheapo path to obtaining a short steering column. These steering columns, made by Saginaw and shared by GM and Chrysler, can be shortened easily by just applying enough force to collapse the column to the desired length. The problem is internal, the shift connection between the shift lever and the tab that connects to the trans is two tubes that are locked together by nylon tabs that break when shortened. Tomorrow I'll pull the column, try to locate the hidden connection point, cut a slot and mig weld the two tubes together. Anyway, here it is

This might be a dumb question but why do you shorten the column? Is it comfort or function?

toymanbob 07-25-2021 06:38 PM

The distance in the cab from my chest to the firewall where the steering goes through is much shorter than the car that the column came out of. I didn't want to pay $$$$ for a short column so I just shortened mine, Bob

OrrieG 07-25-2021 06:41 PM

Bought the wood for the bed (Ash) and getting ready to mill it and test install. Have not posted for a while, have been in paint primer blocking mode, just when I think I am done I find something I am not happy with.

DransportGarage 07-25-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 8949702)
Bought the wood for the bed (Ash) and getting ready to mill it and test install. Have not posted for a while, have been in paint primer blocking mode, just when I think I am done I find something I am not happy with.

Welocme back OrrieG!

mick53 07-26-2021 10:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got my water pump pulley that I altered back from powder coating today. $20 to strip and coat the pulley and spacer. I dropped it off Friday about noon. This started it's life as a reverse rotation Ford pulley and I redeemed it. This completes my accessory drive. My P/S and A/C is all electric. He did a really nice job. I shaved down the spacer, countersunk the bolts and grooved it for the 8 rib belt. Thank you for your time.

DransportGarage 07-27-2021 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8950148)
I got my water pump pulley that I altered back from powder coating today. $20 to strip and coat the pulley and spacer. I dropped it off Friday about noon. This started it's life as a reverse rotation Ford pulley and I redeemed it. This completes my accessory drive. My P/S and A/C is all electric. He did a really nice job. I shaved down the spacer, countersunk the bolts and grooved it for the 8 rib belt. Thank you for your time.

How many "Best Engine of Show" trophies do you think your shelves will support?

mick53 07-27-2021 09:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8950219)
How many "Best Engine of Show" trophies do you think your shelves will support?

LOL, I just finished putting up about 50 feet of 4 foot shelving so I should be good. Also a customer of mine bought me all new really nice commercial LED lights for the shop.

nvrdone 07-27-2021 10:53 PM

I like the way you fitted the lift thru the ceiling of the garage. Unfortunately if I did that my wife wouldnt like the lift sticking up into the family room.

DransportGarage 07-27-2021 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8950631)
I like the way you fitted the lift thru the ceiling of the garage. Unfortunately if I did that my wife wouldnt like the lift sticking up into the family room.

I don't know... maybe you could make the top of it into a coffee table.

mick53 07-28-2021 08:10 AM

Now that's just funny.

nvrdone 07-28-2021 09:28 AM

that might work.

1project2many 07-28-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8950641)
I don't know... maybe you could make the top of it into a coffee table.

Years ago a friend used an ongoing SBC build as a coffee table. He lived in an apartment so had no real workspace. He'd assemble a little of the engine as he had money and time then he'd put a piece of glass on top of the engine when he was finished.

nvrdone 07-28-2021 11:09 PM

I almost got a lamborghini 12 cyl at an auction. my plan was to use it as a coffee table with a glass top. unfortunatly that didnt work out

1project2many 07-29-2021 11:25 AM

That would have been a cool table!

https://silodrome.com/wp-content/upl...-1600x1103.jpg

1project2many 07-29-2021 11:26 AM

Duplicate post!

mr48chev 07-29-2021 01:07 PM

Mick raises the bar a few notches when it comes to detailing an engine out.

mick53 07-29-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8951160)
Mick raises the bar a few notches when it comes to detailing an engine out.

Thanks, it's a blessing and a curse.

DransportGarage 07-29-2021 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought about putting this under my glass coffee table.

Hey, that would look OK on Mick's block (as long as it was at my house and not his)!

vintovka 08-01-2021 01:06 PM

Fired it up and drove it up and down HWY 101 along the beach. With all this fauxvid bovine excrement i had forgotten how much enjoyment can be derived from driving it. Did not realize how fast the thing was and how good the sea air smells!!

vintovka 08-01-2021 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fired it up and drove it up and down HWY 101 along the beach. Bright sunny morning with the waves crashing in on beach . With all this fauxvid bovine excrement i had forgotten how much enjoyment can be derived from driving it. Did not realize how fast the thing was and how good the sea air smells!! Keep plugging on your builds and remember there's memories to be made.

nvrdone 08-01-2021 01:57 PM

Todays project is to remove the back window from the cab. A few years ago my wife bought me a sliding rear window. I finally found an old school glass guy who will install it for me on 8/11. Just want to make sure there is no metal repair needed before the install.

nvrdone 08-02-2021 11:04 PM

so i didnt get to the glass yesterday. But tonight its out !! Cut the gasket from the out side & gave it a push - it came out & fell in the bed.
Then I decided to check the vacuum and timing. Vac was 14" at 950 rpm. timing was almost 25 deg. advanced. brought timing back to 15 deg advanced and left rpm's at 950. vaccum jumped to 25 ". truck runs much better!!

evilokc 08-03-2021 07:56 AM

havent done much in the last few weeks. been driving it when i have time. still have some light body work to do.