The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

MisterC 04-15-2012 10:30 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

1 Attachment(s)
I got my front sway bar installed. It took me much longer than I expected so I never got to the rear coils. Still need to cinch all of the mounts up, but here is the bar and the new front coils. I love how it sits now.:metal:

dantimdad 04-15-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5315987)
Hey, can I just plug the heater inlet/outlet at the water pump?

You sure can. Just pick up some 1/2 pipe plugs. I bought the recessed kind. Work like a charm and really cleaned up my heaterless engine bay.

BTW, I got my electric fan conversion almost done. Just need to put the relay in.

I also sanblasted, primed and painted all of the pulleys and brackets on the engine this weekend. I used single stage gloss black from dupont.

Steven

suzq044 04-15-2012 10:38 PM

I didnt even kno they made swaybars for these trucks o_O

MisterC 04-15-2012 10:41 PM

Most of the aftermarket guys do. I'm too cheap so I got a 1 1/4" bar off of a 78 1 ton at the Pick 'n Pull. I bought the mounting bracket from Early Classic Enterprises and got the bushings from Ebay. All in all, I have less than $80 into it. Just had to drill a couple of holes in the frame.

chevy_man5 04-15-2012 10:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Took mine for the first drive in almost 10 years! It was only down the road a bit and back, but it was under her own power!

Still having issues with the clutch, timing, brakes, and electrical, but it's moving along!!

Took the hose to it too, so we don't get dirty every time we just look at it.

She looks good sitting in the sun!

Not going to get very far with that gas tank though! LOL

CRGRS 66 04-15-2012 10:53 PM

Thanks mark

1963c-10 04-16-2012 08:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some work finally started on the body today. Been off the project the last few months with disassembly on the parts truck and work.

bobbylast 04-16-2012 03:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
i did all of this in the last 2 weeks
i got a tailgate and put it on, i painted my inner doors, put a mirror on, shortened my column 4 inches and painted and installed steering wheel. also sanded my grill to bare metal and clear coated the crap out of it. it has been a wonderfully busy month. i get bullet caps in the mail from summit on tuesday and i will be making some whitewalls this week....anybody got some 3 drop spindles for 73 to 87?

1963c-10 04-16-2012 03:07 PM

Are you shaving your own whitewalls?

A.T. RockDriller 04-16-2012 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 5316138)
Took mine for the first drive in almost 10 years! It was only down the road a bit and back, but it was under her own power!

Still having issues with the clutch, timing, brakes, and electrical, but it's moving along!!

Took the hose to it too, so we don't get dirty every time we just look at it.

She looks good sitting in the sun!

Not going to get very far with that gas tank though! LOL

I like it Jason.
I won't pass up a chance to drive mine....

chevy_man5 04-16-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.T. RockDriller (Post 5317498)
I like it Jason.
I won't pass up a chance to drive mine....

I need to find or make a brush guard like that A.T.!! I know they were an option, but do you know how common they are? It looks great on your truck, and I think it would look awesome with the 60/61 hood I have!

Your truck is high up on the list of my favorites on here! :metal:

ChuckW 04-16-2012 07:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got some paint on the old girl... I am very happy with the color and the quality! If the pic's are sideways, I'm sorry.

mud.man.rj 04-16-2012 08:23 PM

The white in behind the front grill area is a nice touch. Today I had a body man look at the rocker I lowered on the drivers side that was installed wrong and thought it was good work but the pass side is even worse so cut the inner, outer rocker out and cab corner, it was in too far and up to high also had a twist, so waiting for parts. Also welded up antenna hole.

robber grin 04-16-2012 09:20 PM

Tried to start the 6 cylinder in my 62 C10... emphasis on "tried".

66ChevyMax 04-17-2012 12:36 AM

Test fit the cab.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...16Apr12002.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

198plus 04-17-2012 12:53 AM

Saturday I decided to paint my trim stripes silver metallic and re cleared the bed.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...capes1/002.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...07807956_n.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...21834487_n.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...47137645_n.jpg

coulter 04-17-2012 07:38 AM

beautiful paint!!! nice work

tazattitude 04-17-2012 07:53 AM

Great job!!! Almost painted mine in Atomic Orange or H-D Sedona Orange and black

CRGRS 66 04-17-2012 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I cracked my intake manifold:cuss:, had looped the heater hoses together so that I can get the heater box out to work on restoring, but decided to put some plugs in instead. Damn if I didn't crack the intake manifold... Guess I know what I am doing this weekend.

CRGRS 66 04-17-2012 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Any recommendations for a new intake?

I believe that this is a 283, not 100% sure, but no reason to believe it is not, it also has holley 4bbl, suspect it is a 650 single pump.

Want to get her back on the road ASAP.

mud.man.rj 04-17-2012 09:12 PM

Well nice part on the intakes is pretty much any dual plane intake is great to use today, just stay away from single plane intakes, they are for higher Rpm range, not very streetable. I generally use an Edelbrock Performer whick in your case is good from idle right up to the higher 5,000 rpm range, some more performance minded use an Performer RPM intake, still dual plane but 1,500 to 5,800 Rpm range.

A.T. RockDriller 04-17-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 5317674)
I need to find or make a brush guard like that A.T.!! I know they were an option, but do you know how common they are? It looks great on your truck, and I think it would look awesome with the 60/61 hood I have!

Your truck is high up on the list of my favorites on here! :metal:

Thanks for the kind words, Jason.
I read somewhere that Bustin designed this in '60 for your hood....then left it that way for the model run..(sounds like sumthin' GMC would do :lol:)
They also designed one for the Chev's...a bit simpler in design...and a little easier to come accross.
But I, like you, like the GMC one on a GMC.
I have only seen one or two before....and those were pictures. I think it would be a fun winter project to build one....for a feller with the right stuff and some fab skills. I wonder what a guy could expect to sell a good quality copy of one for.
If you set out to produce a 1/2 dozen at a time, you could sure do a nice job on them without spending too much on time & materials.
There is no doubt that you would be better off to have a good straight template to copy.
The problem with that concept is that they would appeal to very few...

A.T. RockDriller 04-17-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5320374)
I cracked my intake manifold:cuss:, had looped the heater hoses together so that I can get the heater box out to work on restoring, but decided to put some plugs in instead. Damn if I didn't crack the intake manifold... Guess I know what I am doing this weekend.

Ouch.
Now that's a real $hitter.:whine:

CRGRS 66 04-17-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 5320444)
Well nice part on the intakes is pretty much any dual plane intake is great to use today, just stay away from single plane intakes, they are for higher Rpm range, not very streetable. I generally use an Edelbrock Performer whick in your case is good from idle right up to the higher 5,000 rpm range, some more performance minded use an Performer RPM intake, still dual plane but 1,500 to 5,800 Rpm range.

Thanks mudman

steve'62 04-18-2012 07:09 AM

When and why did it crack? When you were putting the plugs in or because you were putting the plug in? I was just about to plug my heater hole, was reading that other people have done it no prob. I don't want to crack my intake though! I also read that people drill a couple holes I'm the thermostat when doing this too.
Posted via Mobile Device