The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

mrbuck 10-25-2021 09:18 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

2 Attachment(s)
Took advantage of this crazy ass storm, this weekend. I finished smoothing the fire wall and got the cab mounted to chassis for the the first time since I’ve owned it.

OrrieG 10-26-2021 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossfire84 (Post 8987950)
Here ya go!

Thanks!

89AKurt 10-28-2021 04:20 PM

What I did with my pickup, but 3 days in a row. I'm just getting around to going through pictures, edit, post on Flickr, then share here. First up, who wants to guess where, it's literally end of the road, off-grid so I couldn't post pics.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5b301b28_c.jpg

G&R's57GMC 10-28-2021 04:51 PM

4 corners Arizona or Utah

DransportGarage 10-29-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89AKurt (Post 8989357)
What I did with my pickup, but 3 days in a row. I'm just getting around to going through pictures, edit, post on Flickr, then share here. First up, who wants to guess where, it's literally end of the road, off-grid so I couldn't post pics.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5b301b28_c.jpg

I'll guess Monument Valley. Except for the patina - and the folding chair - it could have been taken 50 years ago! (I can't quite see the license plates but I'm assuming they're vintage.)

89AKurt 10-29-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 8989369)
4 corners Arizona or Utah

Awesome guess, it's in Utah, but Monument Valley is on the border.
Here is on the way, in AZ.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a3bc3920_c.jpg

89AKurt 10-29-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8989629)
I'll guess Monument Valley. Except for the patina - and the folding chair - it could have been taken 50 years ago! (I can't quite see the license plates but I'm assuming they're vintage.)

My telephoto lens makes it look closer, but it's about 20 miles as the Eagle flies. This picture is much closer. I have a '69 AZ front plate, and copper Historic.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...475da503_c.jpg

DransportGarage 10-29-2021 02:20 PM

Castle Valley?

MiraclePieCo 11-17-2021 04:11 AM

Today I learned a valuable lesson.

When doing some maintenance on my cooling system I discovered my radiator drain plug was clogged with thread sealant. Hoping to blow it out, I removed the radiator cap and put an air gun on the drain plug.

What a cleanup nightmare. 150 psi will move a lot of coolant fast and high. I think antifreeze is still dripping from my garage ceiling...

youngrodder 11-17-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8996759)

When doing some maintenance on my cooling system I discovered my radiator drain plug was clogged with thread sealant. Hoping to blow it out, I removed the radiator cap and put an air gun on the drain plug.

What a cleanup nightmare. 150 psi will move a lot of coolant fast and high. I think antifreeze is still dripping from my garage ceiling...

Maybe its just me but it seems like you can never wash coolant off. After several attempts I still feel slimy.

Marc

_Ogre 11-17-2021 01:37 PM

ouch, i feel for you mpc

mick53 01-24-2022 10:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I finished building the O'Reilly Auto Parts store I've been working on so I have some time to get back on the truck. I made a transmission mount for the engine stand so I could mount the transmission to the engine. I also repolished the bell housing. It was the first thing I ever polished. Like something else when I was young I was pretty impressed with myself the first time but after getting more experience and looking back it wasn't that impressive.

vintovka 01-24-2022 10:45 AM

Think engine/trans/stand merit showcasing in your living room or mancave!!!!

jweb 01-24-2022 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I let a friend use my truck in his booth at a local car show. Had to replace my battery for it to start but it was 10 years old any way.

MARTINSR 01-25-2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

OH DAMN!

I will never forget working on my mother-in-laws (ex) Pinto, around 1982 changing the radiator and forgetting to tighten the drain plug! It was late after working all day long trying to make a living at my shop. I drove off with the coolant leaking out. Was going down the freeway about 8 miles away when the motor started knocking and froze up! I coasted off the freeway and right off the exit was a gas station and a tow truck was getting gas! He towed the Pinto back to my shop. I let it cool down and refilled it with coolant. Changed the Thermostat that was fried shut. It had a funky little "knock" but I drove it to their house and gave them the key. Geeeez I never could look at that car in their garage without wanting to vomit. The day they traded it in on a new car was one of the best days of my life.

Brian

MARTINSR 01-25-2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9023701)
I finished building the O'Reilly Auto Parts store I've been working on so I have some time to get back on the truck. I made a transmission mount for the engine stand so I could mount the transmission to the engine. I also repolished the bell housing. It was the first thing I ever polished. Like something else when I was young I was pretty impressed with myself the first time but after getting more experience and looking back it wasn't that impressive.

OHHHHHHHHHHH damn that's awesome! :metal::metal::metal::metal:

Brian

dsraven 01-25-2022 01:26 PM

just a heads up to anybody doing coolant stuff, the system is usually only gonna take the pressure of something close to what is specified on the rad cap or other damage can occur, blown seals, hoses or their quick connects, gaskets rad core solder joints, or, if you have a heater core, it will likely blow a tube or an end cap off. I have seen guys flush their cooling systems with the garden hose as well. just remember that the garden hose pressure is likely around 65 psi, good to check that first or gate back the supply and flow water before you install the hose onto the system and then remove the nozzle from the system before you restart again so pressure can't build in the hose when the nozzle is shut off.

1project2many 01-25-2022 01:30 PM

Quote:

Sir, that is not good. Antifreeze does not really dry out well, either.

One of the mechanics here in the shop failed to close a valve on the oil drain bucket and created a sludge rocket that shot to the ceiling of our steel building fast enough to escape Earth's gravity. Instead of hitting the metal roof it hit 14" of fiberglass insulation and 3" of foam. Much less oil came back than what was launched.

Years later we can still smell oil when the roof gets hot in the summer.

dsraven 01-25-2022 01:31 PM

when I worked as a heavy duty mechanic in fort mcmurray i was sent out to the filed to change a block heater on a big track hoe. they couldnt shut it off due to minus 40C. that was a mess with hot coolant running down as I took the old heater out and quickly screwed in the new one. yeah, coolant seems to be greasy for a long time after, even after washing the clothes they seemed to feel wrong against my tender skin, haha.

dsraven 01-25-2022 01:33 PM

mick53, that is a very impressive set up you have there. great attention to detail

dsraven 01-25-2022 01:42 PM

1 project, my son did something like that in my shop when he was working on his new to him motorcycle. he was doing a tune up and did a compression test to start with. dry test was good but the wet test with oil in the cylinders was only good for the first cylinder, when he went to test number 2 the oil from number one cylinder came out of the upward facing spark plug hole at light speed. all over my shop ceiling, him, his bike, and everything in the vicinity got well lubed when it rained back down from the drywalled cieling. even spray nine left a stain that stayed as a humorous reminder when we re in the shop together. funny now, not that much back then. haha

washington blue 01-27-2022 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made sure all the bolts and holes fit together.

Chopped53 01-31-2022 04:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cleaned out interior, applied Hush Mat, flipped door handle mechanism upside down to fit into slot in door (so door panels fit better). Got a frame and foam package from Tea's Seats and mounted arm rests from 1953 Chev passenger car. Delivered to upholstery shop. Now I wait....

mick53 01-31-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopped53 (Post 9027746)
Cleaned out interior, applied Hush Mat, flipped door handle mechanism upside down to fit into slot in door (so door panels fit better). Got a frame and foam package from Tea's Seats and mounted arm rests from 1953 Chev passenger car. Delivered to upholstery shop. Now I wait....

That seat is cool. Did you make that?

62 Barnfind 01-31-2022 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweb (Post 9023802)
I let a friend use my truck in his booth at a local car show. Had to replace my battery for it to start but it was 10 years old any way.

Love the color of your truck! What color is that?