The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

LT7A 01-13-2024 05:10 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9273287)
265/75r16 I run that size on my three 3/4 ton trucks

Thanks, that's helpful for what I'm considering for my Suburban. They look like they're in good proportion to your setup.

LT7A 01-13-2024 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9273375)
thanks.i have a little puny Eastwood bead roller.i was looking today at a bigger throat version and motorized,a fella need 3 arms?using one hand to feed the material through makes it very hard to stay steady and follow the lines when you need your other hand to drive the machine?i have some big panels to make as i progress rearward.i will have to buy another machine?momma won't be happy.here's some more progress as of today.

I know I've commented already Greg, but that's artwork. Literal sculpture.

LT7A 01-13-2024 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 (Post 9273369)
actually like that it has a v6. i already got one gas guzzler in the driveway, don't need another...:lol:. looked up the specs for a 96, it only has 20 hp and 35 lb ft of torque less than the 350 in my '90. not much plans for it, will be my new daily driver. will be ditchin' the grille guard and them silly a$$ decals though...not into stripe decals or anything like that. bought from an older gent that works for the movie industry, he said he will be home for an hour tonite, so me and the boy are heading out in a few mins, it's approx 40 minutes from me-city truck...

had to look up the ZE5 myself.
far as i can tell, ZE5 is base trim level
i guess gm figures since your getting a base truck they will snazz it up with silly decals...they too will be coming off..:lol:

They did overdo it with the decals and the graphics on that rig. But I'll admit, after running my black Z71 for the last 10+ years without the decals, I'm thinking about putting them back on at some point. Taking it back to stock. They're kinda sporty looking against the black.

LT7A 01-13-2024 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 9266301)
Made a few Christmas cookies. My dad is 82 and he LOVES them! Mom always made them at Christmas and he asks for them on his birthday in July and he knows they're gonna be there at Christmas.
https://i.ibb.co/TvGkMmz/IMG-1619.jpg
RECIPE FOR YOU GUYS:

PECAN SANDIES
2 sticks softened salted butter (use real butter)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp water
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
powdered sugar to roll in after they're baked

With your mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, & water well. Then add the flour & chopped pecans and mix into it forms a ball. Chill for at least an hour. Form into walnut sized balls and bake at 325-350 for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown on bottom. Cool completely before rolling around in powdered sugar. Makes about 40 cookies.

I made these. No luck getting over to Lock Doc's in time ; ) so I had to make some myself. They're quick to make and they didn't last long. I like that they only have about a quarter of the sugar of regular cookies and the powdered sugar makes them just sweet enough. Thanks for posting the recipe!

special-K 01-13-2024 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9276071)
Thanks, that's helpful for what I'm considering for my Suburban. They look like they're in good proportion to your setup.

235/85-16 is what came on the 8-lug Square bodies. Tall skinnies. those look good on the GMT400s that came standard with short squatty tires. On my '92 I went to 265/75s within months. Then I saw a Suburban (GMT400) with 285/75s and had to have them. I've been running that size ever since. They require cranking the torsion bars up, but that looks better. stock those trucks sit like a 2wd anyway. I think that's why they started putting 4x4 stickers on the bedside

LockDoc 01-13-2024 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 9266301)
Made a few Christmas cookies. My dad is 82 and he LOVES them! Mom always made them at Christmas and he asks for them on his birthday in July and he knows they're gonna be there at Christmas.

RECIPE FOR YOU GUYS:

PECAN SANDIES
2 sticks softened salted butter (use real butter)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp water
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
powdered sugar to roll in after they're baked

With your mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, & water well. Then add the flour & chopped pecans and mix into it forms a ball. Chill for at least an hour. Form into walnut sized balls and bake at 325-350 for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown on bottom. Cool completely before rolling around in powdered sugar. Makes about 40 cookies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9276075)
I made these. No luck getting over to Lock Doc's in time ; ) so I had to make some myself. They're quick to make and they didn't last long. I like that they only have about a quarter of the sugar of regular cookies and the powdered sugar makes them just sweet enough. Thanks for posting the recipe!

I have a batch in the oven right now. My wife says that the 30 to 40 minutes baking time can't be right. Any comments?

LockDoc

LT7A 01-13-2024 12:36 PM

They do take a lot longer to cook since they don't flatten out like regular cookies. I'm not sure I went the full 30 or 40, but I kept checking the bottom to see if they were browning and pulled them once the bottom started to brown.

LockDoc 01-13-2024 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9276129)
They do take a lot longer to cook since they don't flatten out like regular cookies. I'm not sure I went the full 30 or 40, but I kept checking the bottom to see if they were browning and pulled them once the bottom started to brown.

That's what I did too. I couldn't wait for them to cool to try them so I rolled a couple in the powdered sugar warm. Yummmm! Second cookie sheet is in the oven now.... :)

LT7A 01-13-2024 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9276137)
That's what I did too. I couldn't wait for them to cool to try them so I rolled a couple in the powdered sugar warm. Yummmm! Second cookie sheet is in the oven now.... :)

Smell particularly good when they're cooking. Beware, they eat up quick ; )

Boog 01-13-2024 01:06 PM

I smell a double batch in the oven?

LockDoc 01-13-2024 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9276142)
I smell a double batch in the oven?

Not for me. My second batch will be my favorite, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip. I'm about ready to start making them.

LockDoc 01-13-2024 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9276141)
Smell particularly good when they're cooking. Beware, they eat up quick ; )

I made them smaller so you can just pop the whole cookie in your mouth at once. A lot less messy that way... :lol:
My wife says they are addictive... :)

Rickysnickers 01-13-2024 06:08 PM

Here in ID, we are getting a pretty major winter storm and temps have been cold!!!! I thought I would do something for the birds. I had some cardboard boxes and made little shelters. Sadly, I went out to the patio and found a dead dove. Poor little guy froze to death :(

Sheepdip 01-13-2024 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickysnickers (Post 9276284)
Here in ID, we are getting a pretty major winter storm and temps have been cold!!!! I thought I would do something for the birds. I had some cardboard boxes and made little shelters. Sadly, I went out to the patio and found a dead dove. Poor little guy froze to death :(

Got a video this AM from one of my sons buddy's who retired to Sand Point Idaho it was -17 this AM....Burrrrr!

dieseldawg142 01-13-2024 08:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
in -26 C (-15 F) me and the boy installed a flowmaster cat-back on his Firechicken. got a fence and hedge around us so was not too bad.

old.....
Attachment 2328176

new....
Attachment 2328177

the flowmaster on my stepper is falling apart...can't really complain, put it on there in '05
Attachment 2328178

as i got a "new" truck, don't want to spend money on the stepper anymore...so i re-purposed the muffler off the kid's 'bird. welded some hangers on it and voila, my stepper don't sound like a friggin' helicopter going down the road anymore
Attachment 2328179

72c20customcamper 01-14-2024 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Couple of coats of sealer now to build the corner shelves under it

LT7A 01-14-2024 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 (Post 9276363)
in -26 C (-15 F) me and the boy installed a flowmaster cat-back on his Firechicken. got a fence and hedge around us so was not too bad.

old.....
Attachment 2328176

new....
Attachment 2328177

the flowmaster on my stepper is falling apart...can't really complain, put it on there in '05
Attachment 2328178

as i got a "new" truck, don't want to spend money on the stepper anymore...so i re-purposed the muffler off the kid's 'bird. welded some hangers on it and voila, my stepper don't sound like a friggin' helicopter going down the road anymore
Attachment 2328179

That flowmaster cross flow muffler sounds really good on those F-bodies. And the slash cut tips look just right.

LT7A 01-14-2024 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9276084)
235/85-16 is what came on the 8-lug Square bodies. Tall skinnies. those look good on the GMT400s that came standard with short squatty tires. On my '92 I went to 265/75s within months. Then I saw a Suburban (GMT400) with 285/75s and had to have them. I've been running that size ever since. They require cranking the torsion bars up, but that looks better. stock those trucks sit like a 2wd anyway. I think that's why they started putting 4x4 stickers on the bedside

I've got the 235/85/16s on the Burban now, but they're not long for this world - little cracks all over. I bought it for a parts rig but it's nearly complete and I decided to clean it up and drive it some. I want to go a little wider on the tires and those 265/75s fill in the fenderwells nicely. The Sub is 454/TH400/4.10 so I decided to do what Chevy might have done if there was a Suburban Sport package. Wide tires and white letters FTW! ; )

special-K 01-15-2024 07:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9276487)
I've got the 235/85/16s on the Burban now, but they're not long for this world - little cracks all over. I bought it for a parts rig but it's nearly complete and I decided to clean it up and drive it some. I want to go a little wider on the tires and those 265/75s fill in the fenderwells nicely. The Sub is 454/TH400/4.10 so I decided to do what Chevy might have done if there was a Suburban Sport package. Wide tires and white letters FTW! ; )

Is your Suburban a Squarebody? I run 285/75s on my GMT400s and those would bolt right up on a Squarebody with stock suspension. Nice and beefy

LT7A 01-15-2024 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9276742)
Is your Suburban a Squarebody? I run 285/75s on my GMT400s and those would bolt right up on a Squarebody with stock suspension. Nice and beefy

That's some meat for sure. Are both of your rigs 4WD? My Burb is a SquareBody and is 2WD. I'm not sure the 285s would fit without rubbing. I'm also going to lower it 3" so it might get tight in there. Thanks for the pics.

special-K 01-15-2024 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9276864)
That's some meat for sure. Are both of your rigs 4WD? My Burb is a SquareBody and is 2WD. I'm not sure the 285s would fit without rubbing. I'm also going to lower it 3" so it might get tight in there. Thanks for the pics.

Ok. Won't work. Yes those are 4wd

72c20customcamper 01-15-2024 08:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Don’t think your going to find Ash at you local lumber yard . Milled up some Ash and Hickory for the corner shelf frame today . Hot glued a piece of dimensional lumber to start a straight edge on the table saw . The hot glue makes it easy to remove to cut the side parallel to the other cut . The Ash is a touch over 3/4 thick the Hickory is 1 1/2 inch thick

Boog 01-15-2024 09:50 PM

Very nice.

truckster 01-15-2024 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My advanced cadets in my Principles of Engineering class are designing a remote-control submarine (they picked the project). Today I've been printing and machining parts for their ballast tank.

Steeveedee 01-15-2024 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9276918)
Don’t think your going to find Ash at you local lumber yard . Milled up some Ash and Hickory for the corner shelf frame today . Hot glued a piece of dimensional lumber to start a straight edge on the table saw . The hot glue makes it easy to remove to cut the side parallel to the other cut . The Ash is a touch over 3/4 thick the Hickory is 1 1/2 inch thick

Beautiful work! I have some ash from a table a neighbor was selling cheap when they moved. Still up in the rafters. I'd better pull it down and use it before I die...