The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Our '66 Short Fleet Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=292466)

Musclerodz 02-21-2009 12:26 AM

Re: Our '66 Short Fleet Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3156784)
Hmmm, cool thanks for the info....guess I need to go to a paint supply. anyone you recommend?

go to B&H in Norman and tell them Mike Redpath sent you. They will probably feel sorry for you......

TimE 02-21-2009 12:39 AM

Awesome!! Glad you got it back-now let the fun commence!

Those reenactment pictures are downright scary. That would definitely have been a "pucker up" kind of moment.

protrash64 02-21-2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimE (Post 3156906)

Those reenactment pictures are downright scary. That would definitely have been a "pucker up" kind of moment.

:lol::lol:....no doubt!!!

Joe, if you havent been to a paint supply, get ready to be confused and then feel like:uhmk: when youre trying to make a decision. The paint fumes are thick in the one I frequent.:ito:
The cab looks great, and LILRED stole my thunder, I was thinkin' 'the full monte'.....

collins10672 02-21-2009 03:05 AM

joe your cab even though it has a little work ahead of it,man it looks great to be 45 yrs. old.i wish i had mine to that stage.i have a cousin that owns a body shop and they have always used a quality epoxy primer on freshly blasted metal.epoxy will seal the metal as well as the factory edp coating or better.he had blasted his frame on the 41 willy's coupe he owns and just worked on the car every now and then because the customers cars came first since he makes a living at it.to make a long story short he left his frame outside for 5 yrs. with only epoxy on it and it never rusted any and i saw this with my own eyes and always used it myself after that.it passed the test for me.

joe231 02-21-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musclerodz (Post 3156882)
go to B&H in Norman and tell them Mike Redpath sent you. They will probably feel sorry for you......

:lol:
thanks for all your help and info :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimE (Post 3156906)

:metal::lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3157075)
:lol:....no doubt!!!

Joe, if you havent been to a paint supply, get ready to be confused and then feel like:uhmk: when youre trying to make a decision. The paint fumes are thick in the one I frequent.:ito:
The cab looks great, and LILRED stole my thunder, I was thinkin' 'the full monte'.....

yeah I was trying to get a plan together before i went in...

:haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by collins10672 (Post 3157125)
joe your cab even though it has a little work ahead of it,man it looks great to be 45 yrs. old.i wish i had mine to that stage.i have a cousin that owns a body shop and they have always used a quality epoxy primer on freshly blasted metal.epoxy will seal the metal as well as the factory edp coating or better.he had blasted his frame on the 41 willy's coupe he owns and just worked on the car every now and then because the customers cars came first since he makes a living at it.to make a long story short he left his frame outside for 5 yrs. with only epoxy on it and it never rusted any and i saw this with my own eyes and always used it myself after that.it passed the test for me.

thanks, we are excited:thumbs:
sounds like the way to go!!
thanks for the testimonial:metal:

ChiefRocka 02-21-2009 08:46 AM

Wow the cab came out super clean man !!! It's so nice to have a fresh canvas to start with....Looks like you have some work ahead of you !!

It's gonna be bad-arse when it's done !!

Alan's Classic 02-21-2009 09:44 AM

Joe, it's looking good. I used Dupont's DP 90 to cover bare metal.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...vytruck074.jpg

scotts62 02-21-2009 11:46 AM

Heck yeah man looks good! :metal:

I knew there was a B&H on 39th, that's the one i use but didn't know there was one in Norman, that's cool.

4dranch 02-21-2009 03:13 PM

super nice Joe.
can't wait to see it roll across the bridge into Memphis in April for the .super chevy show:metal:

Musclerodz 02-21-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 3157467)

I knew there was a B&H on 39th, that's the one i use but didn't know there was one in Norman, that's cool.

The 39th store is another sub store. Home base is Reno and Blackwelder

jason65 02-22-2009 01:04 AM

Cool pics. It's weld and grind time.:metal: I bet your wife is excited.

joe231 02-22-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 3157249)
Wow the cab came out super clean man !!! It's so nice to have a fresh canvas to start with....Looks like you have some work ahead of you !!

It's gonna be bad-arse when it's done !!

lots of work, but i'm excited

Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3157302)
Joe, it's looking good. I used Dupont's DP 90 to cover bare metal.

that looks nice...i'm about convinced....kinda worried about the cost of it though....is it spendy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 3157467)

thanks!

learn something new everyday, eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3157723)
super nice Joe.
can't wait to see it roll across the bridge into Memphis in April for the .super chevy show:metal:

Hells Yeah!!!
wait....you are talking April 2010, right? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musclerodz (Post 3157925)
The 39th store is another sub store. Home base is Reno and Blackwelder

:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3158758)
Cool pics. It's weld and grind time.:metal: I bet your wife is excited.

she is extremely excited! she can't wait to shoot it first though!!!

I just got back from KC a bit ago, long day.
went and met Tony(LILRED66)
he is a hell of a nice guy with LOTS of sweet OE parts.
I got the upper and lower radiator mounts and one of his upper radiator hard pipe kits, along with a BIG wish-list. I highly recommend him. He is very passionate about these trucks and will bend over backwards to make sure you are happy.
A big THUMBS UP to you Tony!!!
I will definitely be calling on ya for more stuff in the future!!

tomorrow is supposed to be nice, mid 60's and clear!
going to try to get the cab ready to haul out to Scott's family's shop in Tuttle to spray it.
got some seam sealer, weatherstrip adhesive, and tar like substance to remove first.

Thanks for all the positive comments!!!!

jason65 02-22-2009 07:06 PM

Cool. Good progress for the 66.

kizer 02-22-2009 07:31 PM

Wow thats nice to see so clean and bare. Now I'm really jealous.

Your enactment really cracked me up. I wasn't sure what you where doing at first, but I figured it out. hahahaha

scotts62 02-22-2009 09:32 PM

:lol: Yeah no kidding! If i was behind him on that off ramp i would have been thinking wohoo im going to get a new truck! :lol:

danzka4u 02-22-2009 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks great thats how I lowerd mine wrangler coils in the back and cut the front

joe231 02-22-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3160006)
Cool. Good progress for the 66.

thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizer (Post 3160061)
Wow thats nice to see so clean and bare. Now I'm really jealous.

Your enactment really cracked me up. I wasn't sure what you where doing at first, but I figured it out. hahahaha

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 3160369)
:lol: Yeah no kidding! If i was behind him on that off ramp i would have been thinking wohoo im going to get a new truck! :lol:

:mm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by danzka4u (Post 3160393)
Looks great thats how I lowerd mine wrangler coils in the back and cut the front

yeah man, I saw your truck when i was researching the coils, love your truck!
looks like you use it too, huh?

Alan's Classic 02-22-2009 10:41 PM

Dupont's DP90 is pricey but does go along way. Omni has something similiar and I have used it and haven't had a problem. I don't know the cost, a buddy had some left over from a project he did.

protrash64 02-22-2009 10:41 PM

What did you pick up for seam sealer, Joe???

joe231 02-22-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3160559)
Dupont's DP90 is pricey but does go along way. Omni has something similiar and I have used it and haven't had a problem. I don't know the cost, a buddy had some left over from a project he did.

so i wonder how much i'll need for the cab? 2 quarts or less?

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3160560)
What did you pick up for seam sealer, Joe???

nothing yet....this is all new to me....trial by fire:devil:
seam seal after DP90????
but guess i need to wait until after the repairs also, huh?

protrash64 02-22-2009 10:56 PM

Up in your post you mentioned it; its been years since primering mine and I couldnt remember what I used. I think it would go on after dp90....Alan probably knows for sure. Take some pics of you and Scott beatin; on that cab!!!

Alan's Classic 02-22-2009 11:04 PM

One quart is all you need. I sprayed all of my stuff and still haven't used a quart. I only put one good medium/wet coat on. I don't have the can with me or I'd tell you what they recommend. Seam sealer goes on over primer.

joe231 02-22-2009 11:06 PM

will do Jeff, the wife is going to shoot it, she loves to paint :metal:
I got all the old seam sealer out today...there is some stuff under the dash that acts, looks and smells just like rubber when I was using wire wheel on it....it is some tough crud, might have to try some thinner on it..

LILRED66 02-22-2009 11:30 PM

Joe:

Thanks for bringing your wife and boys up to see me in Kansas City. You guys probably thought I was going to keep you there all day and night talking about 4-5-6 Chevy trucks. I hope you made it home safely and thanks again for your kind words and your business.

Don't forget to have Megan sign up as a member, so she can contribute during the big build. Take care and let me know if your boys need a truck to drive at the OK function this summer.

Let the fun begin.

TimE 02-22-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3160600)
Take some pics of you and Scott beatin; on that cab!!!

Yea, I wanna see some of those too!

Glad things are going your way Joe.