The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Greg65 build thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336653)

Alan's Classic 05-02-2013 11:55 PM

Re: Greg65 build thread

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6040108)
Very Nice Repair... Great work as always!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 6040834)
Nice work as always. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6041004)
Like it!

Thanks Guys!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 (Post 6041574)
Very nice patches and work! Did you use a repop patch or donor or form all of that?
Posted via Mobile Device

I used repop parts. BTW thanks!!

Worked the cab corners and welded the main harness hole on the firewall and also a hole in the dash from a PO. Still need some more work on the cab corners.

aggie91 05-03-2013 11:14 AM

Question for you Alan, you mentioned you used OMNI epoxy on this one but you prefer the PPG DP line of epoxy. How well has it been working with it while doing the filler on top? Once your done with the filler are you going to recoat with the OMNI epoxy or go straight to slick sand or something else?

Anyway, looking good.

Greg - those powder coated parts look great too!

Alan's Classic 05-08-2013 11:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 6049659)
Question for you Alan, you mentioned you used OMNI epoxy on this one but you prefer the PPG DP line of epoxy. How well has it been working with it while doing the filler on top? Once your done with the filler are you going to recoat with the OMNI epoxy or go straight to slick sand or something else?

Anyway, looking good.

Greg - those powder coated parts look great too!

The Omni seems to be working out just fine. After the filler work I'm using the new product of slick sand, Evercoat "Super Build 4:1". Pic attached of the can.

Pics of the new version of slick sand. I'll report what it's like. It actually comes with a quart of catalyst so you get 5 quarts of material instead of 4 with the old. I also ordered the 3M Platinum filler, it sands good and cheaper than rage extreme. The only problem I have with it is pin holes.

The double walled area where the steering column comes thru the floor had some cancer. I cut it out and will treat what I can.

aggie91 05-09-2013 09:39 AM

Thanks Alan. I am going to try the Omni this weekend on some bed parts. Looking forward to what you think about the new Super Build primer.

Low Elco 05-09-2013 03:17 PM

Hmmmm.... Slick sand, G2, and now this? Wonder what kinda cannon you gotta use to get this stuff on?

flips72 05-09-2013 05:12 PM

nice work alan, and thanks for the info,i too am kinda curious about what size tip will be needed to shot this primer or will you thin it,ifso what will you use to thin it with? sorry for all the questions but i put alot of stock in your expertise when it comes to this body stuff.

Bomp 05-09-2013 10:59 PM

Awaiting your further information on applying said products.

Cause I'm takin' notes and I needz to Knowz.

Great job Man. :metal:

da_bears_da1 05-10-2013 09:05 AM

Funny how this stuff works out. I was just doing some research on Slick Sand last night. It gets very good reviews on other forums. Glad to see Alan is going to try it out for us. :metal::metal::metal:

Alan's Classic 05-10-2013 05:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Todays progress, I'll comment on previous post later. I got to run

Alan's Classic 05-11-2013 11:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 6060917)
Thanks Alan. I am going to try the Omni this weekend on some bed parts. Looking forward to what you think about the new Super Build primer.

As I was sanding the Omni epoxy tonight I can't tell the difference between it and PPG DP90. It is very hard to sand. I used 80 grit paper to scuff it up for the Super build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6061483)
Hmmmm.... Slick sand, G2, and now this? Wonder what kinda cannon you gotta use to get this stuff on?

I'll post my review once I spray it. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 6061647)
nice work alan, and thanks for the info,i too am kinda curious about what size tip will be needed to shot this primer or will you thin it,ifso what will you use to thin it with? sorry for all the questions but i put alot of stock in your expertise when it comes to this body stuff.

Thanks, I'll let you know what happens. It shouldn't be long. I did shake the can by hand. It sound pretty runny. Maybe it is separated I didn't open the can. I hope it's not as runny as it sounds. If so I'll send it back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6062269)
Awaiting your further information on applying said products.

Cause I'm takin' notes and I needz to Knowz.

Great job Man. :metal:

Yes Sir, I'll get right on it. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 (Post 6062732)
Funny how this stuff works out. I was just doing some research on Slick Sand last night. It gets very good reviews on other forums. Glad to see Alan is going to try it out for us. :metal::metal::metal:

I love slick sand, while it is tough to spray. I used it on my build and also 198plus's build. This is the latest and maybe greatest version of it. We'll see. ;)

I've been able to spend some quality time on it Friday and today. I've got a few more filler spots to work, but started scuffing the rest of the cab getting it ready for some Super Build. The fire wall, outside of the back panel and right door jamb is scuffed. I was also able to push some dents out of the dash. It's amazing what you can do with a baseball bat as seen on the cab floor. ;)

greg65 05-12-2013 02:24 PM

Not sure if anyone has told you or not but you do some pretty good work. Lol. The Louisville Slugger is a nice touch. I can't wait to come check out the progress in a couple weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 05-12-2013 02:31 PM

Very Nice, I too like the Louisville Slugger
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 05-12-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 6066804)
Not sure if anyone has told you or not but you do some pretty good work. Lol. The Louisville Slugger is a nice touch. I can't wait to come check out the progress in a couple weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha,

I hope to have it in primer by the time you get here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6066811)
Very Nice, I too like the Louisville Slugger
Posted via Mobile Device

A bat has a nice round end to push on some metal if you can get to the back side. BTW thanks

Today was a day of rest for me as far as doing work in the shop. ;)

likaroc13 05-12-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 6066804)
Not sure if anyone has told you or not but you do some pretty good work. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't give him the "big head!" He might start upping the prices before I can get mine over there. Alan, that's crappy work. Keep it up! :lol:

Low Elco 05-13-2013 08:47 AM

Ball Bat, ha ha! I have a broken Sledgehammer handle I use for similar purposes. I was using a Stanley spud bar to get behind a quarter and push up a big low this week. High tech, Baby! Whatever git's 'er done!

I usually run SS/G2 with a splash of lacquer thinner to get it moving thru a HF HVLP with a 1.8 tip. "Splash", that's a highly technical paintin' term.

coulter 05-13-2013 04:39 PM

some killer looking work on that cab!! keep it up

flips72 05-16-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulter (Post 6068829)

x2:metal: wont be long now.

greg65 05-16-2013 08:55 PM

Thanks guys. Alan is knocking the cab out pretty quick. When you consider working a full time job, doing this at night, and helping at another body shop on Saturdays. Not sure how he does it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 05-18-2013 11:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6067701)
Don't give him the "big head!" He might start upping the prices before I can get mine over there. Alan, that's crappy work. Keep it up! :lol:

I'm glad someone finally realized that. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6068103)
Ball Bat, ha ha! I have a broken Sledgehammer handle I use for similar purposes. I was using a Stanley spud bar to get behind a quarter and push up a big low this week. High tech, Baby! Whatever git's 'er done!

I usually run SS/G2 with a splash of lacquer thinner to get it moving thru a HF HVLP with a 1.8 tip. "Splash", that's a highly technical paintin' term.

Splash=TLAR which is That Looks About Right. ;) What's G2, I'm drawing a blank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulter (Post 6068829)

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 6074952)
x2:metal: wont be long now.

I hope not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 6075168)
Thanks guys. Alan is knocking the cab out pretty quick. When you consider working a full time job, doing this at night, and helping at another body shop on Saturdays. Not sure how he does it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not too mention the kids, HAHA. I actually work at the other shop Tuesday and Wednesday nights. With the end of school and all the award ceremonies and band concerts over. I will be getting more done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogeroo (Post 6075824)
Coffee?

:lol:

-W

Yes Sir!!

Worked some tonight trying to get it ready to prime and found some more areas that needs work.

Jeff La 05-19-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6067701)

My exact thoughts :lol::lol:

Bomp 05-19-2013 11:25 AM

Drooling. Can't wait til Im at this stage. Nice work:metal:

Alan's Classic 05-19-2013 08:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 6079082)
My exact thoughts :lol::lol:

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6079117)
Drooling. Can't wait til Im at this stage. Nice work:metal:

You'll get there!! One thing at a time.

Some more quality time today. I worked the outside of the door, cab is ready for the first coat of high build. I also seam sealed a little.

Low Elco 05-19-2013 09:10 PM

Featherfill G2. Supposedly the same/ slightly lighter than SS. I like it, works well. Nice work!
Posted via Mobile Device

greg65 05-19-2013 09:44 PM

Great work as always. Thanks for the pictures and updates.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 05-21-2013 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The cab is a different color. Here's a teaser pic ill get more soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device