The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Project 68 k10 LWB..aka "The Hulk" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=659275)

DWilbur 03-19-2019 12:56 PM

Re: Project 68 k10 LWB..aka "The Hulk"

Cool you figured out the DBW. Sound great.

First c10 03-19-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8490340)
Cool you figured out the DBW. Sound great.

Thanks. I noticed in the video that my phone could not record the exhaust sound I guess it was too loud LOL

First c10 03-31-2019 11:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Started working on the upper radiator hose/pipe and thought I better get the engine cover installed. I think I am going to paint it body color.
I tacked up the stainless pipe to see if I was going to like it or if it was in the way of the intake tube. Seems to fit but had to re adjust a little. After I as able to get it tacked where I wanted it I ran out of argon. To be continued.

I was able to get the MAF mounted and connect the intake tube. What do you guys think?

DWilbur 03-31-2019 01:35 PM

I just filled my 125 bottle of argon cost me $173.00. Double the cost from last year. The radiator tubing looks great. Where did you get the intake Y pipe looks cool
Posted via Mobile Device

First c10 03-31-2019 03:48 PM

173? Damn. That’s bs. My bottle is the same size as yours.
I bought a corvette kit and added the 2 long 45 degree pieces. They will have to be cut down on the ends but won’t do it until the fenders and fenderwells are on.
The kits was like 38$ on eBay. I figured it was worth it to just try it. I bought the silicon couplers, SS and aluminum piping from Www.siliconintakes.com
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223382248961
I am a little worried about hood clearance. I do have a cowl induction hood but will have to measure for clearance.

DWilbur 04-01-2019 09:04 AM

I have a smaller bottle I was going to fill and it cost almost as much so I passed on the the small one. That is cheep for the intake Y why. I will have to order one.
Posted via Mobile Device

DWilbur 04-01-2019 01:51 PM

I ordered the intake Y pipe. free shipping too

renegade6 04-01-2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 8498243)
I am a little worried about hood clearance. I do have a cowl induction hood but will have to measure for clearance.

I am very pleasantly surprised about the amount of hood clearance on these trucks. You will probably have more room than you expect.

First c10 04-01-2019 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by renegade6 (Post 8498961)
I am very pleasantly surprised about the amount of hood clearance on these trucks. You will probably have more room than you expect.

I hope so Brandon. It looks pretty cool and I don’t have any problems with it when the motor is running. No crazy fuel trim adjustments. A little lean but I think thats the cam I installed with the stock tune.

Trying to get the SS upper radiator piping built. Had to give myself the crash course in tig welding again as the last time was the exhaust I did 4 years ago.
I plan on sanding the welds down and buffing them shiny.

First c10 04-01-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8498179)
I just filled my 125 bottle of argon cost me $173.00. Double the cost from last year. The radiator tubing looks great. Where did you get the intake Y pipe looks cool
Posted via Mobile Device

DW when I exchanged my bottle for another 125 cubic bottle it cost me 68 with tax. I would have bought a larger bottle but they didn’t have a larger one in stock.
Maybe worth a ride to LB for you to just exchange a bottle.

DWilbur 04-02-2019 12:16 AM

That is what I did bottle exchange. I went to Ait Gas to exchange
Posted via Mobile Device

DWilbur 04-02-2019 12:19 AM

Last year I went to Madco welding Suply
Posted via Mobile Device

First c10 04-02-2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8499224)
Last year I went to Madco welding Suply
Posted via Mobile Device

MARFAB is where I went. It’s the only place in Los Banos to exchange gas cylinders.

7dee2 04-02-2019 12:02 PM

Wow, big big progress! :metal: Good for you, digging your videos also!

renegade6 04-02-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 8499111)
Trying to get the SS upper radiator piping built. Had to give myself the crash course in tig welding again as the last time was the exhaust I did 4 years ago.
I plan on sanding the welds down and buffing them shiny.

For being out of practice, it looks great!

First c10 04-03-2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renegade6 (Post 8499527)
For being out of practice, it looks great!

Thanks. I always go to slow and get the metal too hot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 8499420)
Wow, big big progress! :metal: Good for you, digging your videos also!

Thanks Brett. Trying to spend time on it each day.
How is ol Ray treating you?

7dee2 04-03-2019 11:17 AM

Amazing how much you can get done that way, looking forward to seeing your truck together. :bann:

Got just a little over 1k miles and put it in storage for the winter, currently storing our patio furniture on the bed! :lol: Getting pumped to get it out, I do love driving that truck.

First c10 04-04-2019 12:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Spring is around the corner for Utah. Time to put the patio furniture out also then the truck will be freed.

Got out the wire wheel and rotoloc scotchbrites to smooth the welds and then polish on the bench top buffer. I forgot to take a picture of it before installation but I was excited how good it turned out so I installed it.

First picture is from the driver side and the second is the passenger side.
I tried to take a picture from the front but it’s tucked under the intake tubing.

First c10 04-04-2019 12:35 AM

I wanted to add a 6° shim to rear leaf spring pack to lower the pinion as the rear shackle left tilted the pinion up and I didn’t like it. Since I was adding the shim I removed my rear leaf spring packs overload spring. I didn’t take any picture of it but wanted to update it on the build thread.
Probably dropped the rear of the truck 3/4”... well maybe 1/2” since the shim was about a 1/4” thick at the center line of the axle.

First c10 04-07-2019 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8498806)
I ordered the intake Y pipe. free shipping too

Hey DW this May affect you with this intake Y.
After getting the upper radiator pipe built I added antifreeze and started the truck up and let it run. I found out that the intake tube air supply to the crank case ventalation system is unmetered as it connects before the MAF.
The CEL came on and the code was for lean bank 1 and 2. Like an intake or vacuum leak.
I disconnected the ventilation and plugged it, clearedthe code and the code never came back. So I am not sure of it can be tuned that way or if I need to figure out how to connect it after the MAF.

First c10 04-07-2019 12:55 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Decided to make a custom mount for the heater control valve. Got a chance to take a crash course in aluminum tig welding. I was able to tap the AC compressor and bolt the bracket and heater valve to it. After I mounted it I only needed two 7” heater hoses to it from the water pump.

First c10 04-07-2019 01:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was able to build the a/c hoses today. Since I relocated the compressor on the LS with a high compressor mount the hoses needed to be shortened a lot. Oh and I used large diameter heat shrink tubing to cover the crimped ends of the a/c lines

The last thing I need is an adapter to go from standard 1/4” flare port to M10-1.0 port for the stock GM a/c refrigerant sensor. After I get it I will attached it to the other side of this tee. The other side will have the compressor binary switch.

First c10 04-07-2019 12:04 PM

I also forgot to mention I had a problem with the CEL staying on even though there wasn’t a problem. The Dakota Digital HDX gauges I installed needed a 1k resister from 12+ power to the CEL terminal on the DD HDX box. Light went away. I only had a 1.5k resister but it worked the same.
I just wanted to make sure I posted about it as I am sure others reading this thread may run into the same issue.

First c10 04-12-2019 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a 7/16" to 10mm AC adapter fitting (in the middle)for the GM refrigerant sensor(on the right) for the ECM to see the AC. I also picked up a binary switch (on the left)because I ordered a trinary switch when I ordered the system years ago.

I was able to get them installed and wired up. Now time to pull a vacuum on the system and check for leaks.

derotoreut 04-12-2019 08:19 PM

Is your ECM programed for the AC? And I'm curious as to why are you planning to use a binary switch and not trinary? My PCM is set up to control the fans, but I'm also using a trinary switch.

First c10 04-12-2019 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 8505586)
Is your ECM programed for the AC? And I'm curious as to why are you planning to use a binary switch and not trinary? My PCM is set up to control the fans, but I'm also using a trinary switch.

I already wired my fans to come on when the ac was turned on. It works both ways right now with the pcm and the call for ac. The binary switch is only to shut off the compressor under low pressure.
How do you have your trinary switch wired?

First c10 04-12-2019 11:45 PM

Oh and I haven’t had a chance to do the programming on the pcm yet. But I do have what the stock setting are set at. I have not actually used the stock refrigerant sensor before so not sure how it is going to work.

derotoreut 04-13-2019 08:21 AM

Keep me posted on how it works for you. I haven't wired in my Vortec project it yet, but I have in the past on SB engines. The trinary gives you the low and high pressure cutout.

First c10 04-13-2019 10:02 AM

From what I know about these switch’s is A binary switch is normally closed and opens when there is too much or too little pressure in the system to shut the compressor off to prevent damage. A trinary switch contains a binary switch AND a normally open switch that can be used to turn electric radiator fans on when the pressure determines that more air flow is needed through the condensor.
When wiring the truck or more specifically wiring the main relays for the cooling fans I added a relay to turn a fan on when the ac compressor is on. This is only because I am not sure how the stock ac sensor is going to work. I hope I can remove it when the stock ac sensor is working. The stock ac sensor should let the ECM know the ac is on and to control the fans due to pressures in the ac system. It should also adjust engine idle.

First c10 04-13-2019 09:43 PM

Well as it turns out Gen IV’s only accept ac request(notify the Ecm your AC is on) only be sent through canbus. A company makes the trigger but it’s 300$ that’s BS as all it does it tell the pcm you turned on the ac compressor I wonder if Dakota digital has a bim module for it. I am going to call them about it.
As for now I think I am going to remove all the stock sensor bs. I will keep the binary switch as it does work as I tested it out today. Low and high pressure. System is wiring great. Nice and cold.

First c10 04-13-2019 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to put the head lights I bought from a forum member in. I just leveled and the kept the buckets straight to the core support.
They are HID’s and pretty bright. The high and low beam relay setup I made worked great.

First c10 04-13-2019 09:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well a while back I installed a catch can. I ordered it off eBay and built a custom mount to hang it under the wilwood master cylinder.
I built it to the same bracket that held the wilwood adjustable proportioning valve.
I did have to notch the plastic cover to clear the can and hoses

72 tigger 04-13-2019 10:06 PM

As usual, nice work!

First c10 04-17-2019 12:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8506434)
As usual, nice work!

Thank you very much!

Hope to get my painter back this weekend to paint my steering column, ash tray, and glove box so I can button up the dash and possible drive it out of the shop. Currently the truck starts and runs like a new vehicle. HVAC is working, stereo with blue tooth working, wipers working, remote start working, and DD dash and all working. Just need the few things I stated above. He said he could have them painted by the end of the weekend.

I did splurged and bought my shocks.

DWilbur 04-17-2019 11:46 AM

Cool choice on the shocks. I bought similar one for my Dodge and work much better than the one that came with the lift kit. My plan is to use them on my Chevy too.

First c10 04-18-2019 12:18 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 8502101)
Hey DW this May affect you with this intake Y.
After getting the upper radiator pipe built I added antifreeze and started the truck up and let it run. I found out that the intake tube air supply to the crank case ventalation system is unmetered as it connects before the MAF.
The CEL came on and the code was for lean bank 1 and 2. Like an intake or vacuum leak.
I disconnected the ventilation and plugged it, cleared the code and the code never came back. So I am not sure of it can be tuned that way or if I need to figure out how to connect it after the MAF.

Well I decided to put a 5/16” bulk head fitting downstream of the MAF sensor.
I drilled a hole in my MAF tube. I put an o’ring on it and connected it to the PS valve cover like stock.
Now to tig weld the hole in the aluminum intake tubing.
I will check it out with the scanner tomorrow to make sure the fuel trims look good.

First c10 04-25-2019 12:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Small things are taking the longest time... or at least it feels like it.

I was able to get color on the steering column, ash tray and glove box door.

I installed the column and had a problem with the neutral safety switch is hitting the brake switch. nothing is easy!!!

Also I got the high hump coated inside and out with raptor liner. Now to install the floor shifter bracket.

Waiting on the new brake switch, and Lokar shift linkage

7dee2 04-29-2019 11:00 AM

Looks like you managed lots of gut room with the column and that's worth the aggravation for sure... :smoke:

First c10 04-29-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 8515954)
Looks like you managed lots of gut room with the column and that's worth the aggravation for sure... :smoke:

Thanks Brett,

I built a custom seat frame/mount to lower and move the seat back so hopefully I should have plenty of room. I am waiting on the Lokar shift linkage to come in today and get it installed.

First c10 04-30-2019 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to get the glove box door mounted. I didn't want it to get damaged since it was painted and buffed out.