The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

CRGRS 66 05-10-2012 09:07 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE (Post 5345786)
Take a look into the champion aluminum rad. Vs the cost of a re core. I know that I was less money to buy new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 (Post 5345899)
x2

Thanks for the advice GMR and Rich, new rad arrived today, headed out for an extra long weekend in the morning will get it in next week.

CRGRS 66 05-10-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb1965 (Post 5373917)
thanks. i have the stock shocks. havnt swaped the cpp lowering shocks. grille is from a gmc. If i remember correctly 60-66 gmc grilles are the same, in '66 they changed the letters from the roundish version to squared.

so it is a GMC, love the GMC's, very hard to come by, are you running stock shocks on the rear as well, any travel issues on the shocks?

cb1965 05-10-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5373951)
so it is a GMC, love the GMC's, very hard to come by, are you running stock shocks on the rear as well, any travel issues on the shocks?

its a '65 chevy. just love the gmc grille. stock shocks all around. no issues, but then again i dont haul anything

CRGRS 66 05-10-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb1965 (Post 5373965)
its a '65 chevy. just love the gmc grille. stock shocks all around. no issues, but then again i dont haul anything

thanks, this fall when I tear down my front end I think I will do what you have done, not sure what to do with the back end, will wait and see how I feel about the rake after the front end is done. I think I like the rear stance, but suspect that the springs are sagging, fresh stock height springs may raise it up... So I don't think 4" drop springs will drop it 4" back there.

Indian113 05-10-2012 09:45 PM

removed the tint on my back window,put on by PO! It looks like I'm going to have to make it my DD as the trans is out of my Dodge

scottofksu 05-11-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb1965 (Post 5373911)
They are connected and sound good. No drone while i was on the freeway. Sounds good at idle. At a constant speed the sound dies off and becomes just a low hum. got them from summit racing

I was thinking about doing that too! What length did you get?
Posted via Mobile Device

62 Barnfind 05-11-2012 06:36 PM

Finished tearing apart by bed and removing the angle strips.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/k...a/DSC00249.jpg

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/k...a/DSC00248.jpg

Ta2Don 05-12-2012 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up the 350 that I've gotta get buttoned up and ready to go...

cb1965 05-12-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottofksu (Post 5374652)
I was thinking about doing that too! What length did you get?
Posted via Mobile Device

these are 70".

Chevy Fleetside 05-12-2012 01:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I towed my truck to my shop 60 miles from my house with my Ford Ranger.. It must have looked funny. Monday I will paint the firewall and figure out how I am going to bring it back.
I also installed the Tailgate I for for FREEEEEEEE on to my 66.

bobbylast 05-12-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobiebro (Post 5369472)
bobbylast how do the porta walls hold up on them tires. Ive seen them on VWs with the thinner tires. I heard they make noises at high speeds..is that true..

i havent driven it since i put em on. my dad says they can pull forward and catch wind at high speeds. i guess that would explain any noises.

i also have the 700 r 4 so i'll be finding out about that noise soon enough.

the portawalls seem to have a small buckle on 2 of my wheels and i cant seem to get it out. any one know any tricks?

bobbylast 05-12-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve'62 (Post 5370363)
How do you put/apply portawalls?
Posted via Mobile Device

my pop has an old manual tire machine. i broke down the tire on one side and the portawall slips around it behind the bead. after that you fill it with a little air and slowly work the portawall back into the seat. keep adding air a lil at a time to make sure you dont have some pushing out. i used a rubber mallet but it was black. after the first whack i put an old gym sock over it. (it makes black streaks). i'm still not 100 %. on 2 of the wheels i have a very small buckle in the white wall. i think it has something to do with the balance weights being in the front. i'm gonna pull em and re balance with the weights on the inside only.

bobbylast 05-12-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 5371918)
Boxed in the drip rail.

i need to do this to my truck but ive been putting it off. this is something id like to learn about in detail. the guy i bought my truck from filled the drip rail with bondo. i hate to see whats under there.

markeb01 05-12-2012 05:20 PM

Replaced my gas pedal trim and my kid came over and swapped out my rear springs.

wutnxt 05-13-2012 12:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Last couple of days....

Replaced value cover gaskets and underhood clean up
Checked all the fluids
Took a ton of "extra " wire out from under the dash from the PO
Rewired the trailer plug and controller
Rewired the stereo so it actually works

wutnxt 05-13-2012 12:33 PM

Did i mention i can't wait to tow the 65 SB with the dually?..
the 1965 Chassis goes to the body shop to put the cab on this week and I amso looking forward to towing with power and more brakes.....

dantimdad 05-13-2012 10:23 PM

test fit the blasted and painted pulleys and brackets with the new, polished stainless button heads. They look fantastic.

I have to charge the battery and move the truck out of the way so I can finish taking everything apart and pull the engine... But, it started pouring down so that'll be next weekend.

Steven

doobiebro 05-14-2012 12:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Turned over the engine (283) and fired it up for the 1st time....Was a bit worried since a friend overhauled it and I bought it as a package deal with a rebuilt 700R4 sitting in my storage building covered up for 6 years. 2 weeks prior I shot a squirt of motor oil in each cylinder to avoid snapping a ring. I removed the HEI dist and primed the oil pump for about 5 minutes while turning the harmonic balancer. Like my avator signature says...this truck has been a long going project with countless hrs and $$$ which I tackled this truck build my self. I have actually had dreams of driving my truck for the 1st time and worried my self to death on the out come of the trucks powerplant.... The moment of truth has come...She started right up and it sounded so beautiful!!!!!!! My wife and kids were so excited. I finally realized and told my wife why was I worried all this time on the engine for nothing???(((IT'S A CHEVY!!!!)))

mud.man.rj 05-14-2012 12:11 AM

Congrats on the fire up, happy for you, they sure do take time don't they, way longer than we think it will, gettin there though. Looks very clean.

raic65 05-14-2012 12:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Took the truck out for its maiden voyage after doing the brake swap.

_1966ChevyPU 05-14-2012 01:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I got the new tires in... but still waiting for the wheels. But I got the rest of the wood sanded down and ready for final prep for sealing. Mocked the rear tires up and cut the wood as needed to clear these monsters. :D

66 lwb cs 05-14-2012 08:34 AM

Finally finished my cab mount conversion from the floating mounts to the solid mounts. Rolled her out dusted her off wiped her down and took off to fill the tank with some fresh gas after sitting all winter, and promptly ran out of gas. I guess the guage isn't that accurate after all.:metal:

doobiebro 05-14-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 5379119)
Congrats on the fire up, happy for you, they sure do take time don't they, way longer than we think it will, gettin there though. Looks very clean.

Thanks mud.man.rj...for sure...next time somebody ask me when Im gonna finish the truck....my response will be (I'll let you know when its done..)

el_bole 05-14-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doobiebro (Post 5379112)
Turned over the engine (283) and fired it up for the 1st time....Was a bit worried since a friend overhauled it and I bought it as a package deal with a rebuilt 700R4 sitting in my storage building covered up for 6 years. 2 weeks prior I shot a squirt of motor oil in each cylinder to avoid snapping a ring. I removed the HEI dist and primed the oil pump for about 5 minutes while turning the harmonic balancer. Like my avator signature says...this truck has been a long going project with countless hrs and $$$ which I tackled this truck build my self. I have actually had dreams of driving my truck for the 1st time and worried my self to death on the out come of the trucks powerplant.... The moment of truth has come...She started right up and it sounded so beautiful!!!!!!! My wife and kids were so excited. I finally realized and told my wife why was I worried all this time on the engine for nothing???(((IT'S A CHEVY!!!!)))

Doobiebro,

Truck looks great...look at that 283! I have a '61 ,myself.....and yes it takes longer than we think ha ha ha.....I am going with the same powerplant as you except with a 350 tranny....Im inspired by looking at your pickup to keep at putting mine on the road! Thanks,

el_bole:ito:

el_bole 05-14-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raic65 (Post 5379145)
Took the truck out for its maiden voyage after doing the brake swap.

Truck looks great bro! What wheels (and size)are you running on your truck? like the look...

el_bole