The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

TJ's Chevy 09-13-2013 07:04 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Finished priming my new-to-me hood for the truck. Plan to put it on tonight.

donthekawguy 09-13-2013 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got all the wood cut for my bed. I still have to put the urethane on 4 boards which I will do tonight after work. They will be dry in the morning and I'll start putting the bed back together. I ended up using spruce with a light pine stain and three coats of Minwax semi gloss urethane. The strips are powder coated matte black and I have all new bolts. I'm not looking forward to putting it together but if my son shows up to help it shouldn't be too bad. At least I won't have to get up and down a hundred times to get it done.

endlessearth 09-13-2013 07:15 PM

How about a little foreshadowing. Look! Oh my gosh. What is that there in the trunk next to the women's bag?

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/4728/pvrt.jpg

earl84 09-13-2013 11:10 PM

Got some more of the AAW wiring harness installed. Apparently I actually installed the engine stuff correctly because it started and ran:metal:
Of course, this was after figuring out that for some reason my fuel pump no longer worked. It was all fine when I last ran it several months ago, but when I tried to crank, no fuel was flowing. Changed that out, then it fired right up. Now on to the headlights (and relay upgrade while I am at it) then tail lights, put the bed back on and I can drive again. Yeehaw!

TJ's Chevy 09-13-2013 11:11 PM

Decided to put the new-to-me hood on the truck today.

Sick5 09-13-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick5 (Post 6267622)
Always wanted to speakers in that location.. How do they sound? What size speakers do you have?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol how don't hey sound in that location in the pillars and what size speaker is it
Posted via Mobile Device

TJ's Chevy 09-13-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endlessearth (Post 6267853)
How about a little foreshadowing. Look! Oh my gosh. What is that there in the trunk next to the women's bag?

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/4728/pvrt.jpg

If that's a 5 speed manual I'll be jealous!LOL!

endlessearth 09-13-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6268191)
If that's a 5 speed manual I'll be jealous!LOL!

Time to get jelly my man. TKO500 right there. Its going to cut the time from the barn to the feed store and back in half. :smoke:

19666Trucker 09-14-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endlessearth (Post 6268243)
Time to get jelly my man. TKO500 right there. Its going to cut the time from the barn to the feed store and back in half. :smoke:

When you going throw that in
Posted via Mobile Device

endlessearth 09-14-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19666Trucker (Post 6268557)
When you going throw that in
Posted via Mobile Device

The current plan is to have it in before the Good Guys Southwest Nationals.

joedoh 09-14-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick5 (Post 6267622)
How do they sound?

probably like
https://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...19212783_n.jpg

just kidding. although I hope you have them faded to the doors. :D

19666Trucker 09-14-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endlessearth (Post 6268731)
The current plan is to have it in before the Good Guys Southwest Nationals.

Cool rolling the pavilion s later you going again, get practice park lol,
Posted via Mobile Device

19666Trucker 09-14-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vin63 (Post 6267342)
Thanks! This rebuild iteration should've been completed by now, but been paying more attention to the funny car project the last four years.

Mmmm funny car or truck, I would playing with funny car to
Posted via Mobile Device

gixxer711 09-14-2013 04:39 PM

Taken longer than a day, but pretty much finished up. A little before and after.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps1fd50822.jpg

TJ's Chevy 09-14-2013 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a home made sifter and used it on the truck today. Works pretty good, dump dirt on it with the bucket a the tractor and move it around with the shovel, while dumping the rocks off the side.

endlessearth 09-14-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19666Trucker (Post 6268964)
Cool rolling the pavilion s later you going again, get practice park lol,
Posted via Mobile Device

I am not sure yet. A lot of lightning and dark clouds coming in from the north right now. I think we might see some weather here before the day is done...which would be good if it broke the humidity. I do need the parking practice though. I don't want to get scolded again. ;)

19666Trucker 09-14-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endlessearth (Post 6269140)
I am not sure yet. A lot of lightning and dark clouds coming in from the north right now. I think we might see some weather here before the day is done...which would be good if it broke the humidity. I do need the parking practice though. I don't want to get scolded again. ;)

I going heading over around six
Posted via Mobile Device

19666Trucker 09-14-2013 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

donthekawguy 09-14-2013 10:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some of the wood in today. Took me 4 1/2 hours to get these six pieces in. A lot of adjusting and moving around. The hardest part was trying to hold up the cross braces and get a nut on the bolt. The bed also spread apart about 1/2 an inch so I need to figure out how to pull the inner panels together while holding the bolt in the hole and the cross brace up while putting a nut and washers on the bolt that is in the deep pocket of the brace. I wish I had a conjoined twin about now. :lol:

Chevy Fleetside 09-15-2013 12:11 AM

I hooked up the new battery. Put on some mufflers and drove it around the block for the first time in over 6 years. Boy dose it have bugs.

Vernski 09-15-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donthekawguy (Post 6269539)
Got some of the wood in today. Took me 4 1/2 hours to get these six pieces in. A lot of adjusting and moving around. The hardest part was trying to hold up the cross braces and get a nut on the bolt. The bed also spread apart about 1/2 an inch so I need to figure out how to pull the inner panels together while holding the bolt in the hole and the cross brace up while putting a nut and washers on the bolt that is in the deep pocket of the brace. I wish I had a conjoined twin about now. :lol:

Hey Don use a deep socket put 2 nuts down in the socket a 3rd one will stick out a hair or so depending on the type of socket you use. You can also use a short extension on the socket..Vernski:metal:

mustangchef 09-15-2013 03:40 AM

Took Out the Lightning..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvQkwykdyes

firemanjimtfd 09-15-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gixxer711 (Post 6269017)
Taken longer than a day, but pretty much finished up. A little before and after.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps1fd50822.jpg

Looks much better . I would like those valve covers and breather on my 66

donthekawguy 09-15-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 6269755)
Hey Don use a deep socket put 2 nuts down in the socket a 3rd one will stick out a hair or so depending on the type of socket you use. You can also use a short extension on the socket..Vernski:metal:

Thanks Vern. I got sore fingers from trying to reach up in there! I saw you crossing the bridge in your truck yesterday. I waved but you didn't see me.

endlessearth 09-15-2013 04:39 PM

Today I used my truck to teach my 12-year old son how to drive standard and introduced him to the hobby.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2512/lemq.jpg

*Legal disclosure: We stayed on private property the whole time. No animals were harmed in the making of the short film below because all the dinosaurs that went out the exhaust were already dead on the way into the carb.

Ta2Don 09-15-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endlessearth (Post 6270480)
Today I used my truck to teach my 12-year old son how to drive standard and introduced him to the hobby.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2512/lemq.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA6Hd2t30tY

*Legal disclosure: We stayed on private property the whole time. No animals were harmed in the making of the short film below because all the dinosaurs that went out the exhaust were already dead on the way into the carb.

Awesome... My Daddy taught me to drive his, at that moment in time, new 76 LWB Chevy straight 6, 3 on the tree... no P/S and no P/B....
as for the Legal Disclosure...:metal:

ratrod11 09-15-2013 09:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally... got to spend some quality time on the truck. Got the cab on the ground at last! I just have to remove the motor and I will post a 1962 factory 4x4 chassis for sale in parts!:metal:

Chevy Fleetside 09-15-2013 09:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
today I drove up the shop and grabbed the carb off the other truck and put it on my 65. The one I had on there i got at 1/2 price day at pick and pull, it seemed to be a rebuilt carb since it was clean and had a tag on it. Well it was giving me nothhing but trouble so I swapped it out to the one I knew was good and it runs good. Just need to do alot of small adjustments to it. Well after that I drove it around the block.. oh yeah more then once.. :metal::lol: Looks like with the BB in there I have more rake now.. I think I like it as a Fleetside instead. The pic of it being a stepper is with a SB in it. I didn't change the stance at all.

niterider65 09-15-2013 10:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
spent some time in shop and dang guess H E double tooth pick must have froze over . i got 2 things done . primed the frame and painted it .I must be sick . dang what next put it back to gether :lol::metal::chevy:

DexterDog 09-15-2013 11:45 PM

Damn double post.

DexterDog 09-15-2013 11:52 PM

Today, I flipped my whites out and repainted the wheels. Best $10 spent so far.

BEFORE
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...psbf9a6707.jpg

AFTER
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps0344e6c0.jpg[/URL]

gmcdeadhead 09-17-2013 12:55 PM

finished up the power steering and front end conversion. 100% better stopping and steering. capt fabs brackets were the best. [IMG]http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/y...pse67664bf.jpg[/IMG]

Daking19 09-17-2013 01:08 PM

That is a good concept. I sent my grill out to be powder coated today

donthekawguy 09-19-2013 01:43 AM

I went out to put the center wood pieces in my bed today only to find out that they were too wide. Grrrrrrrr I cut them to the width listed on GMC Pauls website. I ripped them down and put on more urethane. Then the rain started so I will have to wait till tomorrow to put it together. My son is coming to help so it should go pretty fast. My plan is to get the wood in loosely tip it back up on end, make sure it's square then tighten it all down while my son feeds the bolts through from the other side. I'm still going to have the bolts that hold the bed to the frame hidden. I want to be driving it by tomorrow night!

robber grin 09-19-2013 07:58 AM

Jim - motor looks bad-@$$!

Quote:

Originally Posted by donthekawguy (Post 6276140)
I went out to put the center wood pieces in my bed today only to find out that they were too wide. Grrrrrrrr I cut them to the width listed on GMC Pauls website. I ripped them down and put on more urethane.

I too used those dimensions and I was wondering if the chatter I had heard from time to time about final fit had any merit - now I am concerned it did.

Going to do a dry-run with un-finished boards and go from there...

I'm still doing body-work on my much abused cab roof panel.

Ray and I went to welding supply yesterday since he needed a chipping hammer for tech-ed and filled all the bottles, got the hammer, then putted over to pick up some white single-stage enamel and odds and ends at the paint supply. Costs are getting sick...

dexter - I'm LOVIN your truck! Thanks for posting pics. Fun times for sure.

back to the truck -
rg & ray~ray

Woogeroo 09-19-2013 09:39 AM

Yesterday w/ my '65 c10 :

changed the oil/filter and lubed up everything. changed the air filter out, checked all the fluids and things while I was dirty.

major adventure : old grease gun started leaking the grease out the end, except it was in a liquid-y mess! Never had that issue before, I'm suspecting it's some synthetic-y lube, it's a reddish color... what a mess!

old trucks are fun!

-W

robber grin 09-20-2013 08:05 AM

Spread Icing and block-sand.... repeat... spread more Icing and block again... and again... and...

Teaching my son (+ myself) patience - 90% preparation right.
rg

T Smith 09-20-2013 08:26 AM

Put my headers on, headed to the muffler shop in the morning. Originally planned to just hook up the existing pipes but think I'm going to have him run all new stuff all the way out.

donthekawguy 09-20-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robber grin (Post 6276290)
Jim - motor looks bad-@$$!

I too used those dimensions and I was wondering if the chatter I had heard from time to time about final fit had any merit - now I am concerned it did.

Going to do a dry-run with un-finished boards and go from there...

I'm still doing body-work on my much abused cab roof panel.

Ray and I went to welding supply yesterday since he needed a chipping hammer for tech-ed and filled all the bottles, got the hammer, then putted over to pick up some white single-stage enamel and odds and ends at the paint supply. Costs are getting sick...

dexter - I'm LOVIN your truck! Thanks for posting pics. Fun times for sure.

back to the truck -
rg & ray~ray

If I was going to do it again I would cut the boards to length, rip them to width, put them in place with the strips on and a few bolts through the holes and make sure the widths were correct. Then I would mark all of the lengths with a penic for the dado cuts. Another problem I'm having is the dado's are too far in so the strips don't fit right. I got most of them to fit right but a couple are noticeable. The 3 rd board from the right is the worst one. I might have to redo it.

mud.man.rj 09-20-2013 05:08 PM

Have never installed a wood bed floor, sounds tricky for sure, like need a lot of patience.