The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

72c20customcamper 03-19-2024 08:39 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9296942)
Sorry if it seemed like I was bagging on you about the wood. I'm sure you've saved a lot of nice wood, given the projects you've posted here. I'll be interested in how that burl turns out.

Didn’t take it that way at all.

special-K 03-19-2024 11:14 AM

Yeah, me too. I'm also interested in how the burl burns

Oh! Did I misunderstand?? :lol:

72c20customcamper 03-19-2024 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9297050)
Yeah, me too. I'm also interested in how the burl burns

Oh! Did I misunderstand?? :lol:

Been splitting firewood last two days haven’t looked as to how I’ll remove the burl. I’m taking it in one chunk though and probably use the bandsaw on it . Much less waste. Now do I cut vertically or horizontally that is the question.

sakustoms 03-19-2024 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost in the 60's (Post 9296026)
I had to gut the entire instrument panel and remove the dash top to weld the inner cowl section on the inside of the car.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...s/DSC00870.JPG

Lots of short, stitch welds to prevent warping.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...s/DSC00866.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...s/DSC00895.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...s/DSC00896.JPG

Wow that was all definitely a ton of work. Great job it turned out beautiful. I only replaced the dash top on this. The cowl was actually good. I did replace 2 sections of the cowl end on the passenger side, along with almost every piece of metal on the body. :waah:

mr.mud1 03-19-2024 05:10 PM

that's a ton of work repairing that cowl,great work.

mr.mud1 03-19-2024 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i picked up a pair of rear tires today for my Mustang,that i ordered last August?i went through this same thing a year ago when i got new front tires that were installed a last spring but i'd ordered the fall before?the world got Covid and everything fell apart?i was in such bad shape for rear tires last fall,i stopped driving my car and put it to bed for the winter,cancelled the insurance way early.to make matters worse,they got one tire in Sept or so,the second arrived now?i looked at the dates on the tires,one was built 17th week of 2023,second tire was built 47th of 2023,in Mexico?we have 2 or 3 Michelin plants here in Nova Scotia but evidently,we have to wait for tires from Michelin Mexico?i know different plants only make certain tires,just frustrating.what's more frustrating is the car has about 30,000 miles on it and this is the 3rd set of tires?love the car but it eats tires.it's going back to Ford when i dig it out of storage.something is wrong??

Steeveedee 03-19-2024 06:23 PM

^That "Z" rating on the tire is the problem. It's a soft compound for good traction, which goes away in a hurry, as you have discovered.

jaros44sr 03-19-2024 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9297139)
i picked up a pair of rear tires today for my Mustang,that i ordered last August?i went through this same thing a year ago when i got new front tires that were installed a last spring but i'd ordered the fall before?the world got Covid and everything fell apart?i was in such bad shape for rear tires last fall,i stopped driving my car and put it to bed for the winter,cancelled the insurance way early.to make matters worse,they got one tire in Sept or so,the second arrived now?i looked at the dates on the tires,one was built 17th week of 2023,second tire was built 47th of 2023,in Mexico?we have 2 or 3 Michelin plants here in Nova Scotia but evidently,we have to wait for tires from Michelin Mexico?i know different plants only make certain tires,just frustrating.what's more frustrating is the car has about 30,000 miles on it and this is the 3rd set of tires?love the car but it eats tires.it's going back to Ford when i dig it out of storage.something is wrong??

Got the same problem with my Camaro, i cant stay off the gas pedal, just to much fun to drive

I get about 50,000 on my set of p zeros

mr.mud1 03-19-2024 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9297150)
^That "Z" rating on the tire is the problem. It's a soft compound for good traction, which goes away in a hurry, as you have discovered.

I hear ya I know these cars use hi-perf tires and they don't last but Pirelli changed the first set of P-Zero tires under warranty all cracked to pieces,second set didn't last,front set wore the inside off right to the steel cord,so I replaced them with Yokohama Sport Advan's and an alignment, they are wearing out again on the inside and the rears are shot.i checked with the service manager at the Ford dealer,he said they got a service bulletin about these cars and excessive wear.we'll see what happens?

mr.mud1 03-19-2024 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 9297151)
Got the same problem with my Camaro, i cant stay off the gas pedal, just to much fun to drive

I get about 50,000 on my set of p zeros

Yes sir,a ball to drive lots of power and a stick.hard to get the smile off my face.my car has about 30,000 miles on it, 2 sets of p-zero's and a set of Yokohama?now I'm trying Michelins?we'll see what happens.

72c20customcamper 03-19-2024 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pallet forks for the Kubota came today . Should make moving logs much easier.

Steeveedee 03-19-2024 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9297156)
I hear ya I know these cars use hi-perf tires and they don't last but Pirelli changed the first set of P-Zero tires under warranty all cracked to pieces,second set didn't last,front set wore the inside off right to the steel cord,so I replaced them with Yokohama Sport Advan's and an alignment, they are wearing out again on the inside and the rears are shot.i checked with the service manager at the Ford dealer,he said they got a service bulletin about these cars and excessive wear.we'll see what happens?

Yeah, I only got a little over 5k miles on the last set of tires on my truck. They aged out. Now that I'm not pulling the travel trailer, it gets even less use. I have a motorhome now. I'll probably sell it just before those tires age out. ;)

Micmac 03-19-2024 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9294501)
Two makes the tractor a little front heavy . The stacked pile is all Hickory

I have two BX's Kabota's, one with bucket and back hoe-other with snowblower and sander on the back. When I'm gonna haul something heavy in the summer when the sander is off the second one, I either hook up the landscape rake or bush hog. I aint telling you how to do anything it just seems to work for me. On another note I just got an email from a nursery I buy fruit trees from in Mid-Coast Maine, they have some American Chestnut trees for Saale. I'm going to go down and get a couple. Maybe my grand kids can enjoy the shade some day! Keep posting this stuff please I really enjoy it.
Thanks,
Pete

tutone 03-19-2024 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9297159)
Pallet forks for the Kubota came today . Should make moving logs much easier.

Mark, when you mount them, take another picture. I need to get a set to take my topper on and off my truck. I may need to extend the length too.

Willowrun 03-19-2024 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micmac (Post 9297165)
I have two BX's Kabota's, one with bucket and back hoe-other with snowblower and sander on the back. When I'm gonna haul something heavy in the summer when the sander is off the second one, I either hook up the landscape rake or bush hog. I aint telling you how to do anything it just seems to work for me. On another note I just got an email from a nursery I buy fruit trees from in Mid-Coast Maine, they have some American Chestnut trees for Saale. I'm going to go down and get a couple. Maybe my grand kids can enjoy the shade some day! Keep posting this stuff please I really enjoy it.
Thanks,
Pete

I'm always planting trees on my property in southern MI so I looked up the American Chestnut to see if they grow in my zone as I haven't run accross them here. Had no idea there was a blight in the early 1900's that killed almost all of them off and it doesn't seem like they have it figured out yet. Crazy how this happens. Ash trees and the emerald ash borer for example.

LT7A 03-20-2024 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9297158)
Yes sir,a ball to drive lots of power and a stick.hard to get the smile off my face.my car has about 30,000 miles on it, 2 sets of p-zero's and a set of Yokohama?now I'm trying Michelins?we'll see what happens.

You're changing tires more often than I change my oil...

No, not really. But man, that wouldn't be an affordable situation for me.

mr.mud1 03-20-2024 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9297223)
You're changing tires more often than I change my oil...

No, not really. But man, that wouldn't be an affordable situation for me.

i hear ya brother,it's awful,nothing i've never gone through before.we had a 2013 Mustang GT ragtop before this one,5 liter and a stick.i bought it used in 2015 with about 15,000 miles on it but the factory Goodyear F-1 Supercar tires it came with were worn out.i put Yokohama Sport Advan's on it and loved them.2 years later we traded for this one,new and i don't recall the Yokohama's being worn out on the 2013 car when traded,this new one needs tires everytime you turn around?$800.00 a pair is getting old.

special-K 03-20-2024 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowrun (Post 9297206)
I'm always planting trees on my property in southern MI so I looked up the American Chestnut to see if they grow in my zone as I haven't run accross them here. Had no idea there was a blight in the early 1900's that killed almost all of them off and it doesn't seem like they have it figured out yet. Crazy how this happens. Ash trees and the emerald ash borer for example.

it's such a shame. Chestnuts were the biggest trees in the east. The redwoods of the east, now gone. I don't see how the blight can live on w/o the trees, but I guess they are hosted by other trees?. I had the most mature Elm tree anyone who saw it had ever seen. I'm talking elderly people. But in '04 the leaves came out, then the tips started turning brown. Buy fall the leaves were gone and by spring the bark was falling off. I had just planted a seedling the year before the disease showed up. That grew for 15 years, then died. Dutch Elm Disease

72c20customcamper 03-20-2024 09:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tutone (Post 9297195)
Mark, when you mount them, take another picture. I need to get a set to take my topper on and off my truck. I may need to extend the length too.

You will definitely need to extend the forks for that purpose. These will do for my purposes but I need to make a few modifications. The cross bar bolts are in the way so I’ll weld som new nuts on the sides or just buy some set screws

dave6672 03-20-2024 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9297249)
it's such a shame. Chestnuts were the biggest trees in the east. The redwoods of the east, now gone. I don't see how the blight can live on w/o the trees, but I guess they are hosted by other trees?. I had the most mature Elm tree anyone who saw it had ever seen. I'm talking elderly people. But in '04 the leaves came out, thrn the tips started turning brown. But fall the leaves were gone and by spring the bark was falling off. I had just planted a seedling the year before the disease showed up. That grew for 15 years, then died. Dutch Elm Disease

The woods around my house were heavy in white and blue ash, probably about 25% of the trees. They all died in a 5 year span several years back. There are a few smaller ones living still but I noticed last summer they were starting to look stressed. Unfortunately their absence had allowed invasive honeysuckle and privet to move in which makes it hard for the nice trees, like oak, walnuts, etc., to grow and replace the ash.

72c20customcamper 03-20-2024 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Works well for my purposes.

tutone 03-20-2024 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9297264)
You will definitely need to extend the forks for that purpose. These will do for my purposes but I need to make a few modifications. The cross bar bolts are in the way so I’ll weld som new nuts on the sides or just buy some set screws

Yes. I will probably build a set for the topper remover
Now I know how those mount. Thanks.

tutone 03-20-2024 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowrun (Post 9297206)

Check this out. Really cool.

https://youtu.be/J2bDn-bzOxI?feature=shared

Willowrun 03-20-2024 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tutone (Post 9297355)
Check this out. Really cool.

https://youtu.be/J2bDn-bzOxI?feature=shared

That was cool! Thanks for sharing.

I had read about/seen pictures of some of these when visiting the redwoods. Been there a couple times and would go again tomorrow if I could.

My son checking a stump out last year.

Steeveedee 03-20-2024 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowrun (Post 9297436)
That was cool! Thanks for sharing.

I had read about/seen pictures of some of these when visiting the redwoods. Been there a couple times and would go again tomorrow if I could.

My son checking a stump out last year.

Give him a chain saw! :metal: