The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, take 2 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=644706)

OrrieG 07-24-2015 04:08 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, take 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 7250361)
But having shown you that, a tight fit bearing with properly installed set screws will work just a well.

Install it with the column shaft in place to allow for any warpage, etc. in the column from age or damage. you probably knew that, but worth stating.

thebebop 07-24-2015 04:10 PM

Will do Orrie

rrenner 07-25-2015 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1429560

Made up some homemade tailgate latches.

iowaboynca 07-25-2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrenner (Post 7253225)

Made up some homemade tailgate latches.

Oh you can't drop that bomb and run...:devil:

We need the info...the 411, cuz that looks cool

rrenner 07-25-2015 03:54 PM

Too cheap to buy em. 3/8 pipe nipple from blue box store, knobs from McMaster Carr, springs, all I need now are a couple grommets..

OrrieG 07-25-2015 10:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Carpet trimed, edged and installed, need to do the piece over the hump and some minor fitting and trimming insulation, but I'm happy.

T Hilde 07-25-2015 11:04 PM

Oil change and tune up. Then a 60 mile cruise.

pvienneau 07-26-2015 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rebuilt my steering gear. Keeo it on bench to see if it has leaks before mounting to frame next weekend.

OrrieG 07-27-2015 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Carpet is done, made some matching floor matts.

ChuckDriver 07-27-2015 04:11 AM

Looks great!

bowt1ed 07-27-2015 09:01 AM

Looking good OrrieG! Are you doing the edging yourself? Cheers, Jim

Bomp 07-27-2015 10:23 AM

welded in a section of the bed.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...pskdn8ufer.jpghttp://i388.photobucket.com/albums/o...psih7l2ohi.jpg

OrrieG 07-27-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowt1ed (Post 7255065)
Looking good OrrieG! Are you doing the edging yourself? Cheers, Jim

Local shops wanted more than I wanted to pay edge bind carpet. I used a product called Instabind, basically has a tape edge that sticks on the back and a hot glue gun is used to bind the carpet edge to the binder. Looks good from a couple of feet, but if you look close you can see the glue. If you used a more plush or cut pile type carpet it would not be as obvious. Here is a link to the product. If you look online you can find it for $1.25 per foot, I got 54 feet and used about 45 of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kpa9LYX1DE

bowt1ed 07-27-2015 01:20 PM

Just watched the video - well, I will be darned! Thanks.

thebebop 07-28-2015 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
PS pump in and column connected to new steering box. Somehow I managed to mess up the upper steering shaft bearing in the process so had to order a replacement. If not for that I'd of been finished...

roger55 07-28-2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebebop (Post 7256625)
PS pump in and column connected to new steering box. Somehow I managed to mess up the upper steering shaft bearing in the process so had to order a replacement. If not for that I'd of been finished...

Are you covering this 400 box install in another thread?
I'd like to know about all your details.
I've installed one too but I don't have my truck on the road yet.

thebebop 07-28-2015 07:05 PM

nah just here. For those interested in doing one of these conversions I can tell you that it's actually pretty easy to do if you follow the instructions that come with it. The only complaint I had was that they don't tell you that you will need to purchase a bearing for the lower part of the column if using the original setup or what size to get. As others have stated they do actually sell one at CPP but no mention of it anywhere.

Just delays the process while you wait to get one in. I think CPP sells the bearing kit for $60 but I bought a 3/4 X 1 5/8 bearing for about $4 at Ace Hardware. It's so tight that I had to ream the inside of the column and then pound it in so it's never coming back out.

In addition, remove the upper bearing while doing all of this otherwise you'll ruin it like I did.

Stevetoxic 07-29-2015 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger55 (Post 7256687)
Are you covering this 400 box install in another thread?
I'd like to know about all your details.
I've installed one too but I don't have my truck on the road yet.

Just got mine too, took a while to arrive -luckily I thought to order the column saver bearing at the same time. :metal:
Not sure when I'll get round to fitting it - do you need to have the flats machined on your column by a professional ?

Stevetoxic 07-29-2015 03:56 PM

Finally got round to fitting my Tonneau.

https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...41146940_o.jpg

thebebop 07-29-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevetoxic (Post 7257547)
Just got mine too, took a while to arrive -luckily I thought to order the column saver bearing at the same time. :metal:
Not sure when I'll get round to fitting it - do you need to have the flats machined on your column by a professional ?

No, we just used a grinder to do it. Just got to go slow and easy and constantly check your work to make sure they are even and don't over do it.

oldman3 07-31-2015 01:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Our local McDonald's has a cruise-in the last thursday of the month. I went last night and enjoyed seeing old friends and cars. Here's a couple pics...Jim

roger55 07-31-2015 01:41 PM

Love that Caddy!

oossuuu754 07-31-2015 02:07 PM

I am challenging everyone to help one of our own, SKYMANGS, The S10 Swap How To sticky thread author was severely injured in a fire at his shop. A detail of the events can be found here There is a GoFundMe page setup to help him and his family with expenses. Advance Design brilliantly incorporated the link http://gofundme.com/c49h5mjx8 into the signature, that way it automatically is posted on any thread you have replied on. Please help spread the word and link up your signature to "SKYMANGS" GoFund me link and let's help one of our own.

Hblee 07-31-2015 05:53 PM

Well I've been spending money like a drunk sailor on my 57, not much work on it so far. I hope to change that soon. I got a Heidt's MII front suspension for it this week, gotta get the old stuff off now.

I bought a fresh Gen VI BBC with alum heads and then decided I didn't like the rods that were in it, or the pistons, so I'm swapping them out for some beefier stuff, you can't go wrong with building a strong bottom end. It has the 502 Ramjet roller cam, .527 int, .544 exh, got some Comp Cams roller rocker arms for it and a Edelbrock Air Gap Performer intake and 830 Holley. I want full-floating wrist pins and the wire locks weren't with the pistons which has slowed me down a few days waiting on them but I hope to get it all together in a few more days. Then it will be ready to get started on the MII and swap the old rear diff out for a fresh 12 bolt out of a 69 Camaro. I think the UPS and FedEx guys have both got low back strains hauling all of this stuff to my office.

crossfire84 07-31-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hblee (Post 7259752)
Well I've been spending money like a drunk sailor on my 57, not much work on it so far. I hope to change that soon. I got a Heidt's MII front suspension for it this week, gotta get the old stuff off now.

I bought a fresh Gen VI BBC with alum heads and then decided I didn't like the rods that were in it, or the pistons, so I'm swapping them out for some beefier stuff, you can't go wrong with building a strong bottom end. It has the 502 Ramjet roller cam, .527 int, .544 exh, got some Comp Cams roller rocker arms for it and a Edelbrock Air Gap Performer intake and 830 Holley. I want full-floating wrist pins and the wire locks weren't with the pistons which has slowed me down a few days waiting on them but I hope to get it all together in a few more days. Then it will be ready to get started on the MII and swap the old rear diff out for a fresh 12 bolt out of a 69 Camaro. I think the UPS and FedEx guys have both got low back strains hauling all of this stuff to my office.

:wop: