The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Our '66 Short Fleet Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=292466)

joe231 02-23-2009 12:01 AM

Re: Our '66 Short Fleet Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3160629)
One quart is all you need. I sprayed all of my stuff and still haven't used a quart. I only put one good medium/wet coat on. I don't have the can with me or I'd tell you what they recommend. Seam sealer goes on over primer.

thanks man!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LILRED66 (Post 3160643)
Joe:

Thanks for bringing your wife and boys up to see me in Kansas City. You guys probably thought I was going to keep you there all day and night talking about 4-5-6 Chevy trucks. I hope you made it home safely and thanks again for your kind words and your business.

Don't forget to have Megan sign up as a member, so she can contribute during the big build. Take care and let me know if your boys need a truck to drive at the OK function this summer.

Let the fun begin.

:metal: yeah we got home 11:30ish, it was a good trip and a cool treat to meet you and see your collection...
:lol: they will take 2 trucks if you will finance them for 30 years and take their $10 a week allowance for payment ;) :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimE (Post 3160684)
Yea, I wanna see some of those too!

Glad things are going your way Joe.

looks like you are making headway also :metal:

TimE 02-23-2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3160714)
looks like you are making headway also :metal:

Slowly but surely...;)

joe231 02-23-2009 12:24 AM

hells yeah!

4dranch 02-23-2009 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=joe231;3158857]lots of work, but i'm excited

Hells Yeah!!!
wait....you are talking April 2010, right? ;)

:metal:

2009...You got 2 months Joe...Whats the problem:lol:
Let's see what you got from Tony.
And I agree with you,
Tony is real easy to deal with and knows these trucks.

joe231 02-23-2009 01:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:haha: :haha:

ok, here ya go

Attachment 434046

and I picked up some stuff this morning

Attachment 434047

jason65 02-23-2009 01:58 PM

I should have the muffler shop make me one of those raidiator pipes when I go in for my crome tips. Nice score.

joe231 02-23-2009 02:00 PM

yeah they are cool....aluminized pipe...think maybe you could polish it up nice.
I might get it powder coated.....$40 plus shipping gets you the whole kit from Tony

4dranch 02-23-2009 02:33 PM

nice stuff

TimE 02-23-2009 03:00 PM

Oooohhhh...PPG! Good stuff but kinda pricey! I cheaped out and bought a gallon of the Omni.

scotts62 02-23-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3161577)
yeah they are cool....aluminized pipe...think maybe you could polish it up nice.

Hey Joe i have some aluminum polish they use to polish semi tanks, some how it jumped into my tool box when i worked at freightliner....:lol:
Bring that pipe with you tomorrow and ill get the polish so when you bring cab you can try it.

joe231 02-23-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimE (Post 3161670)
Oooohhhh...PPG! Good stuff but kinda pricey! I cheaped out and bought a gallon of the Omni.

thanks man, now you tell me....what is omni, and where do you get it??

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 3162263)
Hey Joe i have some aluminum polish they use to polish semi tanks, some how it jumped into my tool box when i worked at freightliner....:lol:
Bring that pipe with you tomorrow and ill get the polish so when you bring cab you can try it.

cool!! will do :thumbs:

TimE 02-23-2009 10:41 PM

The Omni is a cheaper line of PPG stuff. Similar to Shop Line. From what I understand(and I may be wrong) it is an older formulation that was used prior to the DPLF90. BTW, the 'LF' stands for lead free.

I bought it from a semi-local PPG distributor. Went in and asked for the DPLF90 and he quoted me the price and that started a lengthy discussion. He explained it as basically you had "good, better and best" with the PPG being "best" and the Omni being "better". I opted for the Omni. He even offered to tint it for me if I wanted(was thinking about the light blue suede at the time) but I didn't.

If anyone knows more about this, feel free to jump in. The info above is what I have read online and been told so it may not be completely accurate.

protrash64 02-23-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimE (Post 3162506)
The Omni is a cheaper line of PPG stuff. Similar to Shop Line. From what I understand(and I may be wrong) it is an older formulation that was used prior to the DPLF90. BTW, the 'LF' stands for lead free.

I bought it from a semi-local PPG distributor. Went in and asked for the DPLF90 and he quoted me the price and that started a lengthy discussion. He explained it as basically you had "good, better and best" with the PPG being "best" and the Omni being "better". I opted for the Omni. He even offered to tint it for me if I wanted(was thinking about the light blue suede at the time) but I didn't.

If anyone knows more about this, feel free to jump in. The info above is what I have read online and been told so it may not be completely accurate.

This is what I meant when I told Joe he'd be saying:uhmk::uhmk:.....my friend had been thru it a couple of times and got me squared away.

joe231 02-24-2009 12:24 AM

:lol:
yeah, lots of options............

what did the omni gallon cost ya?

everything pictured above cost me $114 and change.
I went to B&H as Mike(MuscleRodz) suggested, they are a dupont distributor. they had a similar epoxy primer, but it only came in gallons and cost $280.....so the guy told me of a PPG distributor in Norman, he was very cool and i would like to give them some business in the future.

Thanks again Mike!
they said they did know you.....but wouldn't hold it against me;):lol:

Musclerodz 02-24-2009 12:17 PM

You would have ended up using that gallon by the time you got around the truck.

Don't use Omni, you would be sorry after doing everything else right. Not the time to go cheap on paint. it would be a different story if you want ed a scuff and shoot so it was all one color. Go with the good stuff that carries a warranty. Not up on PPG products anymore.

bosephus 02-24-2009 12:38 PM

I'm sure glad your cab story had a happy ending:smoke:Can't wait to see the build.Take lots of pics for us amatuers cause I have this to look forward to on my project as well.Keep Going:metal: Looking good!

joe231 02-24-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musclerodz (Post 3163462)
You would have ended up using that gallon by the time you got around the truck.

Don't use Omni, you would be sorry after doing everything else right. Not the time to go cheap on paint. it would be a different story if you want ed a scuff and shoot so it was all one color. Go with the good stuff that carries a warranty. Not up on PPG products anymore.

I figured i would, but cash is a bit tight, but probably would have been money ahead with the Gallon....
I'm just going by braille, feeling this out paint thing out. I don't mind spending the extra coin for quality, I just want to learn. The wife and I are trying to do everything ourselves, with help from you, Scott, and all the other more experienced painters. I want this restoration to last. we will never get rid of this truck, it will be passed on to our kids, so money isn't really an issue, we can wait and save to have the money to do it right, of course, that might kill our self imposed deadlines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosephus (Post 3163488)
I'm sure glad your cab story had a happy ending:smoke:Can't wait to see the build.Take lots of pics for us amatuers cause I have this to look forward to on my project as well.Keep Going:metal: Looking good!

Thanks Hank!! don't get it twisted...i'm far from a pro :lol:
i realize your name probably isn't Hank.....but i couldn't pass up the bosephus reference ;)

protrash64 02-24-2009 11:21 PM

Subscribed......wanna keep up with 'As the Grinder Turns'.

joe231 02-24-2009 11:27 PM

:lol:
tune in tomorrow.......we will find out who fathered Consuela's love-child...and the local philanthropist will come back from the dead to find his wife in the arms of his brother :uhmk:
:haha:

protrash64 02-24-2009 11:30 PM

Between this, Alan's Classics, Jasons65, and MacAttack Im having a great time...cant stop laughing.

FreeRideYZ250 02-24-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

I am using both products on my build. Using the DP 60 for parts that I will not be top coating for some time. Until truck is completely ready for paint.

Using omni on suspension parts and whatever else might see some wear and tear.

Omni was $27 for a the quart set up. DP is $83 for the quart set up.

Kind of wish I would of bought a gallon of DP to begin with, as I have already sprayed up two quarts. At the time I bought it, I didn't want to spend $300+ on a gallon of primer.

With my gun set up, 1.4 tip, the Omni lays down a little bit nicer than the DP does.

Not sure of durability on either as this is my first go around.

My dad just bought some SPI epoxy primer, and I think he spent ~$175 for two sprayable gallons. Supposedly it is really good primer too.

I chose the DP 60, for the reason of color. :uhmk:

jason65 02-24-2009 11:35 PM

Hey Joe, where ya going with that grinder in your hand?

joe231 02-24-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3164798)
Between this, Alan's Classics, Jasons65, and MacAttack Im having a great time...cant stop laughing.

glad to help entertain ya :thumbs:
when you coming out to visit ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRideYZ250 (Post 3164806)
I am using both products on my build. Using the DP 60 for parts that I will not be top coating for some time. Until truck is completely ready for paint.

Using omni on suspension parts and whatever else might see some wear and tear.

Omni was $27 for a the quart set up. DP is $83 for the quart set up.

Kind of wish I would of bought a gallon of DP to begin with, as I have already sprayed up two quarts. At the time I bought it, I didn't want to spend $300+ on a gallon of primer.

With my gun set up, 1.4 tip, the Omni lays down a little bit nicer than the DP does.

Not sure of durability on either as this is my first go around.

My dad just bought some SPI epoxy primer, and I think he spent ~$175 for two sprayable gallons. Supposedly it is really good primer too.

I chose the DP 60, for the reason of color. :uhmk:

sweet man, good luck and keep us posted:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3164818)
Hey Joe, where ya going with that grinder in your hand?

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/imag...smiley-013.gif http://www.alaska4x4network.com/imag...smiley-048.gif http://www.alaska4x4network.com/imag...smiley-022.gif

Captainfab 02-25-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

That's the same thing I've been told by my friend that knows PPG products very well. I've used both DP and Omni and couldn't tell the difference, nor have I had issues with either one.

Alan's Classic 02-25-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3162461)
thanks man, now you tell me....what is omni, and where do you get it??

Pay attention;) I mentioned Omni in post 518:lol: I know it's just too much pressure.:chevy: