The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project: Recycle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=381425)

VA72C10 12-06-2010 12:14 PM

Re: Project: Recycle

As stated, it looks awesome! If this is "practice"..... I really can't wait to see the 67 ;)

likaroc13 12-06-2010 09:21 PM

very nice...that's the same idea i had/have for my wheel & tire plans unless something changes...keep up the nice work!

SCOTI 12-07-2010 01:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I got the rear Bilsteins delivered today so I though I would do a quick trial fit to make sure there were no suprises. Suprise! They need to be modified.

The lower mounting stud on 'generic' shocks is typically separate from the shock. The stud mounts to the frame or bracket & is secured w/a nut. The shock bushing slides over the shaft of the stud & is secured to the stud w/another nut (just like the front shocks).

On Bilsteins, the stud is press-fit into the bushing & is one piece w/the shock. The only way to secure the lower end of the shock is to mount the stud/shock combo in place & tighten the nut from the back of the mount. Not a problem w/standard lower coil spring shock mounts but it IS a problem w/the Porterbuilt lower shock mount as there's very little room to access the nut.

With PB's set-up, you have enough room to put a wrench on the nut to keep it from spinning & you simply tighten the stud from the front side..... It works well when the stud & bushing is 2 pieces.

Sooo..... I cut the stud apart to press it out of the shock eye & bushing. The fit was so tight, it wouldn't press the stud out, it pressed the entire bushing & stud out as a unit. I then had to press the stud out of the bushing.
1st pic.... Bilstein stud vs. generic shock stud
2nd pic... Bilstein stud cut apart to press out of bushing
3rd pic.... Bilstein shock stud & bushing

SCOTI 12-07-2010 01:46 AM

So I go to try & squeeze the bushing back into the shock eye..... that was like putting a square peg into a round hole. It squished/squirmed one way or the other vs. into the hole. On to Plan B.

Plan B. I figured would just require getting a typical 2pc bushing w/a sleeve (each half of the bushing slips in place from the opposite side of the shock eye & a sleeve is pressed in place). I got all the dimensions from the bushing & shock eye to start my net search. Hhmm.... it seems what I need is not exactly a common size. In fact, nothing seems to be available in a 2pc.

So, now I'm contemplating my options. I might try to freeze the supplied bushings & cut them in half (effectively making my own split bushing); or I did find a 1pc poly bushing from Prothane w/similar dimensions that I could do the same (cut it in half making it a 2pc bushing).

I guess I should know by now, it's never simple....

watahyahknow 12-07-2010 02:05 AM

hmmmm use wash up liquid to grease the bushing and clamp the lot intoo a vice with a couple of big ratchet sockets to push the bushing in far enough and tighten , or do the same thing with a piece of treaded rod stuck through the whole setup fitted with some nuts and washers ( this might actually work better )

they put the thing in there before so it should fit

SCOTI 12-07-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4335994)
hmmmm use wash up liquid to grease the bushing and clamp the lot intoo a vice with a couple of big ratchet sockets to push the bushing in far enough and tighten , or do the same thing with a piece of treaded rod stuck through the whole setup fitted with some nuts and washers ( this might actually work better )

they put the thing in there before so it should fit

That's basically how I was attempting to draw the bushing in. The problem was once the 'set-up' was tightened to draw the bushing into place, the bushing expanded making it that mush harder (because of its now larger diameter) to pull into the shock eye.

We have deep freezers @ work. I'm going to try the same process today after freezing the bushings @ -60°.

my67chevytruck 12-07-2010 10:06 AM

awesome work Scoti!

SCOTI 12-08-2010 11:28 AM

Freezing the bushings didn't help so last night I cut one in half. That allowed me to get the bushing pressed back into the shock eye but there's no way even a .500" bolt is going to pass through w/o forcing one of the bushing 'halfs' out.

I need to order the mufflers from Summit today so I'll order some poly shock bushings, cut them in half, & use them (the poly bushings have a larger dia bolt hole).

Last night, my buddy Matt stopped by the shop to see the chassis. He said it looked better in person than in the pics so that made me a happy camper.
:)

SCOTI 12-09-2010 12:30 PM

I ordered some Prothane (poly) shock bushings & mufflers. Once I get the bushings, I'll cut them up to use in the shocks. I'm just hoping they're not going to be noisy.

N2TRUX 12-09-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4340332)
I ordered some Prothane poly shock bushings & mufflers.

You ordered the bushing mufflers, but forgot the muffler bearings...;)

67cheby 12-09-2010 12:43 PM

Blinker fluid....dont forget it

SCOTI 12-09-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 4340342)
You ordered the bushing mufflers, but forgot the muffler bearings...;)

They came w/the flux capacitor . . .....

STP67-72 12-10-2010 05:17 PM

Truck looks great Scoti

SCOTI 12-10-2010 09:03 PM

Thanks!

Today, I worked on the cab/front clip in anticipation of separating the body from the original chassis.

I needed to get the floor cut to allow clearance for the tranny using a high-hump trans tunnel. I got it cut out & 'marked' for the tunnel fastener holes. Since I was in there working, I removed the clutch pedal (plus the attached push-rod linkage), the remaining firewall insulation, heater assembly, various wires, cables, & e-brake hardware.

I then removed the batt tray, cables, any 'hacked up' front clip wiring, tagged the 'good' wiring, & removed the master cylinder.

n2billet 12-10-2010 10:12 PM

Go scot go!!!!!

aggie91 12-10-2010 11:39 PM

I need to get off my duff and catch up on mine...maybe the holidays will do me some good..

Keep it going....

198plus 12-11-2010 12:01 AM

Nice job on chassis, looks great !!!!!!!!

n2billet 12-21-2010 09:43 PM

Eleven days.....I know your not sitting on your hands so what's been done?

SCOTI 12-22-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2billet (Post 4363752)
Eleven days.....I know your not sitting on your hands so what's been done?

Unfortunately, not much. Still waiting on the shock bushings. The drivetrain hasn't moved from its spot in the garage. I need enough time to get everything in one location & w/my schedule that means weekend 'days' (Sat one week, Sun the next). But, my weekend guys have taken personal days the last 2 weeks so I covered a Sat for one, Sun for the other.

I've been around the house more so I've been doing small things w/the dually. A much needed brake inspection, some detail cleaning, & then replacing the master cylinder. Then onto cosmetics.... front bumper w/impact strip is gone. Rear hide-away space carrier is gone. 'Urban cowboy' exhaust tips are gone. Today while waiting for the plumbers to arrive @ the house to repair my leaking water main ( line from the meter that supplies the house split), I removed the rear 'work' bumper & swapped the sport bumper in place to determine the hitch requirements.

I still have to get x-mas shopping done too. So progress.... just not on the 64.

71'tahoe 12-23-2010 03:10 AM

Scoti,
I just read all 109 pages. Very awsome build so far! I dig what you are doing! A few questions. You are running 78-81 Malibu rear shocks and C-10 front shocks? Did you order them through the local parts house? Thanks!

Greg "GT" Tholen

Tx Firefighter 12-23-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4364082)
Unfortunately, not much. Still waiting on the shock bushings. The drivetrain hasn't moved from its spot in the garage. I need enough time to get everything in one location & w/my schedule that means weekend 'days' (Sat one week, Sun the next). But, my weekend guys have taken personal days the last 2 weeks so I covered a Sat for one, Sun for the other.

I've been around the house more so I've been doing small things w/the dually. A much needed brake inspection, some detail cleaning, & then replacing the master cylinder. Then onto cosmetics.... front bumper w/impact strip is gone. Rear hide-away space carrier is gone. 'Urban cowboy' exhaust tips are gone. Today while waiting for the plumbers to arrive @ the house to repair my leaking water main ( line from the meter that supplies the house split), I removed the rear 'work' bumper & swapped the sport bumper in place to determine the hitch requirements.

I still have to get x-mas shopping done too. So progress.... just not on the 64.

I wish I'd have known. I just placed a large order from www.TackyUrbanCowboyTruckStuff.com for my truck. On my side of town our necks are much redder than over on the east side where you are.

SCOTI 12-23-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71'tahoe (Post 4365933)
Scoti,
I just read all 109 pages. Very awsome build so far! I dig what you are doing! A few questions. You are running 78-81 Malibu rear shocks and C-10 front shocks? Did you order them through the local parts house? Thanks!

Greg "GT" Tholen

Yes. C-10 fronts & g-body rears. Bilstein does not list a p/n for C-10 rears. Now that Hotchkis has a kit w/'tuned' shocks, a guy might be able to just get some Bilsteins for their C10 that's a direct fit.

SCOTI 12-23-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 4366010)
I wish I'd have known. I just placed a large order from www.TackyUrbanCowboyTruckStuff.com for my truck. On my side of town our necks are much redder than over on the east side where you are.

Kevin, these are 'patina' so I saved 'em for guys just like you. But, I'm warning you up front.....it's going to be harder for you to sneek up on the sheep!

Jonboy 12-23-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4366096)
Kevin, these are 'patina' so I saved 'em for guys just for you. But, I'm warning you up front.....it's going to be harder for you to sneek up on the sheep!

Velcro gloves should do the trick, I hear.

Just for what it's worth, the Craigslist ad when I bought the dually had is listed as a "Cowboy Cadillac". I think I heard dueling banjos when we went to go pick it up.

watahyahknow 12-23-2010 11:03 AM

as long as they dont hand you there beercan and start yeliing hey ya'll watch this , you prolly be ok