The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   70 Blazer Frame Off (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645076)

IronCanine 06-02-2015 10:47 PM

Re: 70 Blazer Frame Off

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 7196093)
:cf: Almost done man!

I know...but I gotta make that odometer move. I'm tired of staring at 5/10ths of a mile.

scf100 06-02-2015 10:49 PM

Folks you gotta see this thing in person......wow!
The attention to detail is over the top.....

Brad is one happy and lucky guy I can tell you.....

Can't wait to see the big smile on his face when he starts rolling down the road....

Stuart

PS any car guy would gladly jump under this thing to help out.....looks as good on the bottom as the top!

IronCanine 06-02-2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scf100 (Post 7196101)
Folks you gotta see this thing in person......wow!
The attention to detail is over the top.....

Brad is one happy and lucky guy I can tell you.....

Can't wait to see the big smile on his face when he starts rolling down the road....

Stuart

PS any car guy would gladly jump under this thing to help out.....looks as good on the bottom as the top!

Thanks Stuart for the help and the kind words.

Blown06 06-02-2015 11:03 PM

Every time I check in on your thread I have to go back and just drool on how clean the work is. You're doing an amazing job can't wait to see a rolling shot.

IronCanine 06-02-2015 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blown06 (Post 7196113)
Every time I check in on your thread I have to go back and just drool on how clean the work is. You're doing an amazing job can't wait to see a rolling shot.

Thanks Jarrod. I can't wait either.

Jurassic-1 06-03-2015 12:41 AM

Some day I would love to do this to my 72 CST. Nice work. Love the attention to detail.

IronCanine 06-03-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 (Post 7196180)
Some day I would love to do this to my 72 CST. Nice work. Love the attention to detail.

Thanks.

tristan 06-03-2015 09:18 PM

You are giving me a serious case of undercarriage envy. I can already feel my checking account deflating. :waah:

IronCanine 06-03-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tristan (Post 7197191)
You are giving me a serious case of undercarriage envy. I can already feel my checking account deflating. :waah:

Well...I guess we're even then, because I'm super jealous of your flawless sheet metal.

IronCanine 06-05-2015 10:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Since I always take The Facts of Life approach with this thread and post the Good with the Bad...I thought you'd get a kick out of this pic. We were topping off the transmission...literally minutes from putting her in gear for the first time and pulling her out under her own power when we sprang a leak in that brand new radiator core, that had taken two attempts to get rebuilt right. After staring in disbelief for a while and doing the math, considering the mess we were going to have to manage...we bit the bullet and pulled her out. Amazingly, they were able to get it neatly repaired today and the radiator was getting re-prepped and re-painted by 4pm. This is after a late call last night when the brake situation finally got solved. We went through about 5 unions, hand to bend and flare a new hard line (the main long one on the frame), and bought a new rear flex line before we got her dry and bled. In the end I am happy the frame got powder coated. It weathered that unnecessarily arduous and frustrating episode unscathed.

Even though the old girl doesn't seem to want this party to end...there is a silver lining. We needed to clean and detail the engine bay anyway, she'd gotten a little dusty of late...and I had ordered a replacement crank pulley set earlier in the week. I realized a while ago that the set I had powdered coated was from a later model and didn't allow us to run the A/C off the crank and water pump....only the water pump, which wasn't going to be a good long term solution. I just wasn't looking forward to biting that bullet either. Well there's no better time than now to make that swap too.

Maybe she drives tomorrow...maybe not. I'll keep you posted.

scf100 06-05-2015 11:11 PM

Brad what did you guys find wrong with bleeding the brakes?

IronCanine 06-05-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scf100 (Post 7199911)
Brad what did you guys find wrong with bleeding the brakes?

Well...we just had leaks we couldn't beat. As you know the long line leaked at both ends and the flex line leaked at the back. All of my stuff came from InLine. We'd tighten leaking joints, bleed, check, leak still there, change union, bleed, check, leak still there, re-flare line, bleed, check, leak still there, change union, bleed, check, leak still there, bend new line, replace flex line, replace all unions, bleed, check, no leaks, light on, bleed, bleed, bleed...no air, no leaks, no light.

We were power bleeding it on Thursday...probably still be there if we hadn't. I don't know why those joints leaked. We basically just threw new parts at it until it stopped. Only one of the flares on the original long line looked remotely suspicious....so I'm at a loss, other than it just wanted to be a pita. And then it was just tough getting all the air out. There was not a small amount of frustration there...if for no other reason than I was freaking out (silently of course) about maintaining our finishes...no scratches, or brake fluid blemishes.

But luckily we got it done, it all works as it should and she's still shiny and nice.

TBONE1964 06-05-2015 11:51 PM

You have the 3 main ingredients of doing a build like this Brad.

Patients, Attitude and Understanding.

A great attitude will allow the patients you need to be understanding that sometimes things will not go as planed. You are taking everything in great stride. If the dog could talk, we might hear a different tone :lol:

It will all pay off and yes it is nice that the brake fluid did not attack anything.

Take care,
Tom

IronCanine 06-06-2015 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:chevy:

IronCanine 06-06-2015 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today is a good day.

TBONE1964 06-06-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 7200399)
Today is a good day. I want to hug everyone. I think I'll call my mother in law.

Very cool :metal::metal::metal:

DeadheadNM 06-06-2015 02:39 PM

Success!!!! Big congrats!! An inspiring build - thanks for the ride! Beautiful! Absolutely among the handful of the very best K5's in the USA and Canada. Rushing to have a beer in your honor. Can we start sending other rigs for you guys to restore :) ?

IronCanine 06-06-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBONE1964 (Post 7200402)
Very cool :metal::metal::metal:

It does feel cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 7200437)
Success!!!! Big congrats!! An inspiring build - thanks for the ride! Beautiful! Absolutely among the handful of the very best K5's in the USA and Canada. Rushing to have a beer in your honor. Can we start sending other rigs for you guys to restore :) ?

Thanks Pete. I've just been trying to emulate you and others. It would not have turned out so well without all the generosity of knowledge and spirit that you and others on here are so quick to show....but we're not done. Even though today was a big step, I've still got to get the anti-rattle set in on the doors, we did a rough alignment which needs to be dialed in, and there's the whole matter of the top that'll move into the shop next week...so there's more to come before we put a period on this thread....I'm also still one decal short. I gotta start working on that next week too.

scf100 06-06-2015 07:12 PM

Daylight!
Awesome Brad........you taking it to the Varsity tonight?

IronCanine 06-06-2015 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scf100 (Post 7200627)
Daylight!
Awesome Brad........you taking it to the Varsity tonight?

No Stuart...we're gonna hold off. Eric had a baseball tourney he had to go to and we've still got some minor loose ends. First time out, we're gonna show it together. Probably the July 4th show. That's what we're planning right now.

Advanced Design 06-06-2015 10:39 PM

Congratulations on rolling up some miles! The Blazer looks spectacular. Wow, the brake lines were really fighting you. Would have been pretty stressful...

Blown06 06-06-2015 10:40 PM

Looks awesome sitting at the gas station with miles on the odometer.

OLDYELLOW 06-06-2015 11:15 PM

Quote:

Today is a good day.

It was a good day. Finally got to ride in a great Blazer!

IronCanine 06-07-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7200790)
Congratulations on rolling up some miles! The Blazer looks spectacular. Wow, the brake lines were really fighting you. Would have been pretty stressful...

Thanks...they did...and it was. But all's well that ends well (as they say).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blown06 (Post 7200793)
Looks awesome sitting at the gas station with miles on the odometer.

Thanks. Do you think it'll start to depreciate when it rolls over double digits?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDYELLOW (Post 7200822)
It was a good day. Finally got to ride in a great Blazer!

Yes it was and yes we did.

mtully79 06-08-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Today is a good day.

Hell yeah! :metal:

Here's wishing you many happy miles!