The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Project 68 k10 LWB..aka "The Hulk" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=659275)

rgunlock 05-07-2019 01:57 PM

Re: Project 68 k10 LWB..aka "The Hulk"

Very cool build! I've read posts from it time to time as I noticed this thread come to the top of the page, but I just read the whole thing over the last few days. You'll be glad to have so much of the "fiddly" work like wiring done so that the remainder of the build should go about as fast as you can get the parts ready and you can make time to do the assembly.

First c10 05-07-2019 02:50 PM

Hey Rick thank you for the post as I think I needed that. I have been spending every extra moment I have on all of the fiddle work you mentioned. I have started to tidy up all the wiring and have the dash about finished. I just have to install the glove box.
I was able to finish up the steering column install, transmission linkage, and steering column intermediate shaft.
Tonight I’m going to install my high and low tone horn’s.

First c10 05-16-2019 01:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Doing a few little things like adding a light to my glove box.

I had bought a stock glovebox light assembly awhile back but since I am not using a stock cardboard glove box it would not fit the the old air products plastic glove box that came with the AC system I bought.
So I decided to make a connector and install a glovebox light I ordered off eBay

It was like 4 bucks and can be added to any glove box.

I forgot to take a picture before.
Link to light
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362511152606

nsulacountry 05-16-2019 09:56 AM

Very nice light solution.

My 1979 C20 has a light, my 1975 Ford F-250 doesn't. Think the F word needs a glove box light.

CT

DWilbur 05-17-2019 01:02 PM

I will have the same issue with glove box light using Vintage Air system. I will check it out.

DWilbur 05-17-2019 01:05 PM

At under $5.00 I bought one.

First c10 05-17-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8527201)
At under $5.00 I bought one.

Get me your address and I can send you a connector and a couple terminals for it. I happen to have a kit I ordered sometime back that was not what I wanted but it worked great for this light as it didn’t come with a pigtail.

DWilbur 05-17-2019 05:01 PM

I have a bunch of connectors one of them will work. Thanks for the a offer.
Posted via Mobile Device

First c10 05-21-2019 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am having a few issues with the brakes. the pedal feels a little spongy and goes down farther than I would like. after adjusting the brake pedal and bleeding the system I still have the problem. I even put the rear on stands and took the rear wheels off. I put in gear and tried to stop the rears and had to push way harder then I should. so I figure I have air still trapped in the system. Started to get my stuff ready to bleed them and noticed brake fluid leaking from the rear brake calipers. it is leaking from the center of the piston. the brake calipers are new bought 5 years ago. Maybe the seals dryed up from sitting with no fluid.
I am going to get a rebuild kit for them since they are less than 20 bucks for the pair. (79-85 Cadillac rear calipers) but another set back for me to actually drive the truck. well I don't have a steering wheel yet but still!!!

One good thing I received my billet aluminum badges and glove box emblem from Shortie (John) a forum member.
they will look great when installed!!! :metal:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=701118&page=8
(I noticed in the picture the red X is a little bubbly I think that is from the window cleaner I didn't wipe off.)

DWilbur 05-21-2019 01:42 PM

The emblems look great. I wish I found them before I bought the ones I did
Posted via Mobile Device

7dee2 05-21-2019 02:03 PM

Very, very nice! Dang brakes!

First c10 05-21-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8529311)
The emblems look great. I wish I found them before I bought the ones I did

I really was not going to put any as I was just looking for the glove box emblem, but after looking at them I think they will look good and be different. I do have to drill 2 holes in each fender to mount them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 8529319)
Very, very nice! Dang brakes!

Yep its the little things that drive me nuts. No matter how well you plan something always happens that is out of the norm....
Repair kits will be here today so hopefully I can get them repaired soon.

First c10 05-23-2019 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was able to get the new rear calipers rebuilt and adjusted. Now just need to bleed them but need my helper. Hopefully this weekend

So I was able to get the billet specialties pedals installed fit pretty good for universals.

Birdman72 05-27-2019 09:26 AM

Awesome truck first c10. I have been in the market for some new shocks for my 71 k10.I have a 6” rough country lift and it rides like a log wagon.I know these trucks ride rough but do you think those shocks you are using would make the ride better.

First c10 05-27-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birdman72 (Post 8532405)
Awesome truck first c10. I have been in the market for some new shocks for my 71 k10.I have a 6” rough country lift and it rides like a log wagon.I know these trucks ride rough but do you think those shocks you are using would make the ride better.

Good morning bm72
Thank you for the kind words....
Trucks are trucks put a rough ride stinks.(but your springs are ROUGH Country's hahaha) I contacted bilstien directly as they make shocks with different valving. These are fixed nitrogen charge shocks that can be converted to be adjustable or you can step up a level and get them from bilstien that can be charged to your liking but $$$$.

This might help but I would call them as they helped me when I was making my decision. Of course I haven’t driven the truck so I really don’t know how they work or feel.
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/produ...54861479982800

I have the Bilstein B8 5165’s they are valved the same way at all four corners 700 compression and 2550 recoil. They are however a custom length as the ones for our trucks were too long for my application since I have all the custom mods. I have Tuff Country Softrides springs up front and stock k20 springs with ORD shackle flip kit in the rear with the overload and 1 spring removed. Like I said earlier I have not driven the truck yet so I am not sure how they will work together.
Let me know what you end up with and I hope I was of some help.

Birdman72 05-27-2019 06:41 PM

Thanks for the info first c10,I will contact Bilstein and c what they tell me. I still have the old roughcountry shocks that I got with the lift 14 yrs ago . I got to try something it rides bad

19SIKtySix 06-03-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 8532445)
Good morning bm72
Thank you for the kind words....
Trucks are trucks put a rough ride stinks.(but your springs are ROUGH Country's hahaha) I contacted bilstien directly as they make shocks with different valving. These are fixed nitrogen charge shocks that can be converted to be adjustable or you can step up a level and get them from bilstien that can be charged to your liking but $$$$.

This might help but I would call them as they helped me when I was making my decision. Of course I haven’t driven the truck so I really don’t know how they work or feel.
https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/produ...54861479982800

I have the Bilstein B8 5165’s they are valved the same way at all four corners 700 compression and 2550 recoil. They are however a custom length as the ones for our trucks were too long for my application since I have all the custom mods. I have Tuff Country Softrides springs up front and stock k20 springs with ORD shackle flip kit in the rear with the overload and 1 spring removed. Like I said earlier I have not driven the truck yet so I am not sure how they will work together.
Let me know what you end up with and I hope I was of some help.

Great looking project and killer attention to detail. I'm located in Fresno and help put on a show in town. Once your build is complete, I'd love if you brought it out to a show! We have Sat night shows on Sat night Sept 7th and Sat night Oct 5th which is our Rods on the Bluff show in Fresno and then we have our Valley Nationals show Oct 12th in Madera. There will be a C10 club area at the Valley Nationals show, if you can make it out.

Look forward to seeing your progress!

First c10 06-03-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19SIKtySix (Post 8536216)
Great looking project and killer attention to detail. I'm located in Fresno and help put on a show in town. Once your build is complete, I'd love if you brought it out to a show! We have Sat night shows on Sat night Sept 7th and Sat night Oct 5th which is our Rods on the Bluff show in Fresno and then we have our Valley Nationals show Oct 12th in Madera. There will be a C10 club area at the Valley Nationals show, if you can make it out.

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Hey Chuck thanks for the nice words and the invitation. I would love to come out and show it off. I hope my paint guy can get the panels finishes by the end of June.

19SIKtySix 06-03-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 8536238)
Hey Chuck thanks for the nice words and the invitation. I would love to come out and show it off. I hope my paint guy can get the panels finishes by the end of June.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, hope to see your project in person some time.

First c10 06-03-2019 04:07 PM

Weekend Update!! Not Good!

Working on the rear brakes.... I rebuilt the 5 year old/brand new calipers but still have a leak from the center of the caliper piston. So I ordered another brand new set, A Red Powder Coated set. Hopefully this works because if it doesn't. I am going to go with a complete rear set up from Wilwood/Baer/SSBC or something like that!! but man $800+!!!

First c10 06-11-2019 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the brown truck dropped off my new rear Cadillac calipers yesterday. So this week I want to get the rear brakes completed! so I can at least move her under her own power!!
I also got my new steering wheel set in place. Just waiting on the horn wire/spring connector.

Now I need to change the shifter knob!

First c10 06-20-2019 10:39 AM

Brake problem update!

I have replaced my rear calipers and bleed the system 2 times still have a squishy pedal and no rear brakes.
I called Wilwood and they told me to bench bleed again. I did and noticed I don't have much flow out of the rear of the master cylinder port. so I pulled it off and UPS'ed it back to Wilwood so they could check it out. 2 week turn around they told me. Sucks as it is holding up stuff since I don't want to put sheet metal on until the brake system is correct.

nsulacountry 06-20-2019 03:40 PM

That sucks. Think you have a master cylinder issue?

CT

First c10 06-20-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsulacountry (Post 8545712)
That sucks. Think you have a master cylinder issue?

CT

Yes I think I am not getting the volume and pressure to the rear. That is why I set it back. According to Wilwood it should have enough volume and pressure to support the rear calipers I’m using

swamp rat 06-21-2019 09:22 AM

Wonder if that master has the same type of valve as a stocker where it locks out and needs to be reset? when I did mine the valve locked out and I had to reset it to finish the bleeding. Worst part is I forgot how I did it

First c10 06-22-2019 09:57 AM

Hey mike. I think you are referring to the proportioning valve. I am using the wilwood adjustable. When I was bench bleeding I didn’t have the prop valve on so it should have had full flow. They received the MC yesterday so we will see what they say.
This is really holding up everything.

First c10 07-04-2019 09:59 AM

Hey guys an update on the brakes.
I received an email from Wilwood regarding the results of the MC testing. Of course they said everything was working within specs but they did find a small nick on the rear piston from side loading that shouldn’t make a difference. But I think it is suspect since they thought they should say something to me. Oh and they are NOT going to charge me to return ship it as they say they normally do.
I told a buddy of mine that I thought that they would fix the problem and send back to me saying all was good and they found no problems. I have a feeling the MC problem will not have a problem when I reinstall next week.

First c10 07-04-2019 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well at least my paint guy is working on the truck this Independence Day!!
Painting the inside of the inner fender wells. Picture is the first coat of primer.

7dee2 07-07-2019 08:38 PM

Man, brake problems suck! Had our fair share with Ray but you gotta be able to stop that beautiful truck. Hopefully, this will be the last round.

First c10 07-11-2019 09:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Brett nice to hear from you and I hope all is well!

MC should be deliver today and I will reinstall this weekend and see how she does....

I had a board member (notchbackgta) ask me about the connector I used on the glovebox light.

It is a computer connector kit I bought by accident a few years back. Off ebay for like 5 bucks I think.
It is a 3 wire connector I just used the outside 2 wires for the LED light and had to slice off the little grooves on the side for it to fit but worked great.

The knife has a 3-1/4" blade. its all I had at the time for a size reference.

notchbackgta 07-12-2019 09:56 PM

Thanks. That looks like it might be the connector for the floppy disc readers.

First c10 07-18-2019 10:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by notchbackgta (Post 8557583)
Thanks. That looks like it might be the connector for the floppy disc readers.

That is probably about right!

Painting up date!
I was able to get my doors, fenders, fender wells, and hinges/bolts/fender brackets in a booth yesterday! check out the pictures...

Brake update
I got the master cylinder back from Wilwood just have not had a chance to reinstall.
I did talk to ABS brake Inc. in Southern California about the push rod. They said that as soon as you touch the brake pedal the push rod should start to move towards the MC. My brake pedal had about a 1/2-3/4"" play(or dead space) before the push rod would move so I will adjust it before the install.

First c10 07-18-2019 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the inner fender well. The underside I just left powder coated black.
Now we will let them sit before we install them!

First c10 07-22-2019 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys Brake update!!!

Well I had a chance to bench bleed the MC. I actually bleed it like like 4 times over an hour to make sure all the air was out.

Adjusted the brake rod and installed the MC. With the help of my son we were able to pressure bleed each corner at a time starting with the farthest corner and after about 1 quart of Brake fluid the pedal is great!!! Stops on a dim!!!

With that complete were able to actually move the truck under its own power for the first time ever!!:metal::metal:

first move of the truck video

Took a pic of it outside. Now time to put body panels on!!

First c10 07-22-2019 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fender well on the passenger side installed loose.

I think they are going to look good!!!

rgunlock 07-23-2019 10:31 AM

That paint is looking great! Love that shade of blue. Glad to hear the new MC worked out.

First c10 07-23-2019 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 8563469)
That paint is looking great! Love that shade of blue. Glad to hear the new MC worked out.

Thank you Gun!

I was able to start assembling the driver side. Took me over an hour to figure out the rubber dust shield between the doors and fenders. After that we got the doors and fender on. Now just a little tweaking but we are real close.

DWilbur 07-24-2019 12:01 PM

Looking good with painting the wheel wells and front fender installed.

First c10 08-03-2019 07:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 8564098)
Looking good with painting the wheel wells and front fender installed.

Thank you David!

We were able to get the hood readjusted as I bought a set of Eddie Motorsports hood hinges. Had a little problem with getting the correct strength struts. Still not sure it’s right but it closes great and sits great when closed. I think a little weak but rather weaker then to strong with a aftermarket hood.
The hood was taken off and cleaned so it can painted Tuesday with the cowl and grill.
Cab will be together by next weekend hopefully.

First c10 08-08-2019 11:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Took a few pictures of the hood, cowl and the grill while in the booth. After I opened the door to the both I snapped a picture of the grill in the sun!!! Color pops!
I was able to get the cowl and hood on the truck but need to adjust the gaps. then get the grill installed.
A little closer to having the truck finished.