The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   The 283 Rebuild Begins (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=299814)

daverod 11-30-2009 11:52 AM

Re: The 283 Rebuild Begins

1 Attachment(s)
:four::metal: Mac found his leak.:metal::four:

shrunken66stroker 11-30-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3646855)

He found his leak too. That's recycling at it's best.

justcuz 11-30-2009 12:52 PM

This is why I am glad I have the ability (time and knowlege wise) of doing these projects myself.

I get so dissappointed when you pay someone good money to do a job. Then when you get it back you find problems. It got to the point that I just started doing everything myself.

So far I have tackled everything but rebuilding an automatic transmission and setting up a rear axle.

I was going to add radiator repair, but not even the radiator shops repair much anymore, just R and R.

MacAttack 11-30-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3646828)
:cong: Mac
Hope it solves your problem..

Thanks David – I’m just glad I didn’t have to change the smog plumbing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3646833)
Glad you found your leak Mac.

Me too, Jason. Because of the leak’s position and me being such a gigantic mechanical whoosie, ready to throw myself down on the garage floor and cry, I was sure I had a D.O.A. rear seal. Guess I lucked out this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3646855)

OMG. You didn’t actually post that?! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3646879)
He found his leak too. That's recycling at it's best.

It has been a while since we’ve had one that funny! Unbelievable. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by justcuz (Post 3646956)
This is why I am glad I have the ability (time and knowledge wise) of doing these projects myself.

I get so disappointed when you pay someone good money to do a job. Then when you get it back you find problems. It got to the point that I just started doing everything myself.

Well, there it is. :smoke:

And because I’ve got a back-up vehicle to get me to work, you’d think I’d just block out the time and learn to do everything myself.

The guy I dropped the truck off with is $98 an hour – with an hour minimum. In today’s economy – there are zero excuses not to at least try to do this stuff yourself and I’ll be looking at about four grand I didn’t really have to spend by the time this truck's finally done.

Impatience and listening to others (that clearly know little if anything about these vehicles) tell you how you should spend your dough is sometimes very silly.

$4,000 buys a Hell of a paint job.

justcuz 12-01-2009 03:55 PM

Between Autozones online program, which costs nothing to register, and sevice and shop manuals you can pretty much diagnose and repair anything.
You can buy a ton of shop manuals one ebay for a couple hundred dollars.

These older trucks are pretty easy, wiring schematics are pretty simple and diagnosing stuff is simple since it is so easy to see everything.

The newer fuel injection stuff is what is causing me some heartburn now.

MacAttack 12-01-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justcuz (Post 3649222)
Between Autozones online program, which costs nothing to register,

:smoke: Had no idea.

MacAttack 12-03-2009 04:26 PM

Called the electrical repair guy a while ago - looks like I'm getting The Tan back tonight. Everything is supposedly corrected and a "tumbleweed of wires" and connectors pulled from under the dash. It's funny - out of the half-a-dozen old trucks I've ever owned, seems that "extra wire" has always been part of the purchase price.

Now obviously - I'm no electrician, but why do people do that?

(Now I can borrow my buddy's car trailer and haul my truck back to Alan's shop.)

Mac. :mm:

4dranch 12-03-2009 05:00 PM

Congrats Mac.....

Hey swing by and grab my truck on your way to Alan's:lol:

MacAttack 12-03-2009 05:06 PM

;) Will do, David.

jason65 12-03-2009 05:17 PM

Thats great Mac. So is it charging now?
Ok is on the way. :barn:

MacAttack 12-03-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3653549)
Thats great Mac. So is it charging now?
Ok is on the way. :barn:

Yeah. :lol: He said I did a beautiful job on the voltage regulator - right up to the moment I forgot to sand the paint off the wheel well so the ground wire could actually do its job.

Mac. :uhmk:

MacAttack 12-14-2009 02:21 PM

:waah: Took the truck back to the electrical repair shop this morning.

Dash lights don't work.

Right turn signal (dash) indicator doesn't work.

Dome light flickers - despite brand new headlight switch.

Dash battery load gauge doesn't work.

Steering wheel cocked about 45 degrees after horn repair.

Mac's money on this repair: 100% good.

Vendor's success on this repair: 75% good.

I'm beginning to think that I should really research our SoCal Members for these kind of repairs on my vehicle, as the supposedly high-caliber repair facilities in my area are just turning out to be the same old "tell-em what they want to hear" shops.

Mac. :smoke:

padresag 12-14-2009 03:08 PM

Mac; you might just get irrittated enough to do it yourself and with enough love be cherry again
ron

MacAttack 12-14-2009 03:24 PM

:mm: You're right, ron. Time (lack thereof) is my enemy and if the kid didn't need to use the truck Fri/Sat/Sun for business - I'd tear into it and make it electrically dependable. I just get tired of the same old B.S. stories.

MacAttack 12-15-2009 11:48 AM

:smoke: Stopped by the repair shop this morning.

They'd requested some wiring diagrams late yesterday, to try to get the ammeter to function, which was a bit disconcerting. That's the last thing that's not working and I'm picking the truck up after work today - done or not.

daverod 12-15-2009 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3676009)
:smoke: Stopped by the repair shop this morning.

They'd requested some wiring diagrams late yesterday, to try to get the ammeter to function, which was a bit disconcerting. That's the last thing that's not working and I'm picking the truck up after work today - done or not.

I get pissed when I work on stuff and it doesnt work. I can't imagine paying somebody to have it not work and then make more problems. Way to take it Mac.:lol:;)

4dranch 12-15-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3676339)
I get pissed when I work on stuff and it doesnt work. I can't imagine paying somebody to have it not work and then make more problems. Way to take it Mac.:lol:;)

:haha:
sorry Mac, that's just wrong daverod

daverod 12-15-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3676382)
:haha:
sorry Mac, that's just wrong daverod

I know;) I could'nt help it.:lol::lol: Hay I just spent 800 on a trans for a 400 dollar truck.

MacAttack 12-15-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3676339)
Way to take it Mac.:lol:;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You didn't!!! Oh Man - that is too funny. (But also too true).

Mac. ;)

daverod 12-15-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3676481)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You didn't!!! Oh Man - that is too funny. (But also too true).

Mac. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:
Love the new bird

MacAttack 12-16-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3676756)
:lol::lol::lol:
Love the new bird

Yeah - kind of fit my mood yesterday. :lol:

------

Got the truck back. Vendor put a second head-light switch in: dome light works correctly now and dash lights are nice and bright. Dash display was pulled and vendor wasn't able to get ammeter to function and says it's "roached." It was operating prior to the truck's theft, so I'm a bit suspicious of that claim, but it's not going to stop the show.

Steering wheel's pointing in the right direction now and everything else seems to be operating normally. According to the vendor, even Delco replacement components are starting to be second rate - coming from China now - and he sees things like that light switch (which had about .050 slop in the pull rod bushing) "all the time."

Don't care - won't use this guy again, unless it's a warranty (36,000 mile/3 year) issue and then only very reluctantly. I won't bag on this guy - using his name and location - but for someone who was touted as "An Expert In All Automotive Repair", this guy's left a very bad taste.

Mac. :smoke:

NF65Fleetside 12-16-2009 11:39 AM

Hey Mac where you at in Socal, I see surf city...you in HB? Im up in West LA. There is a great shop and member on here by the name of 1Gearhead, shop is Classic Performance in Santa Fe Springs, call Jerry, he is a cool guy and great work/prices.

MacAttack 12-16-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NF65Fleetside (Post 3677761)
Hey Mac where you at in Socal, I see surf city...you in HB? Im up in West LA. There is a great shop and member on here by the name of 1Gearhead, shop is Classic Performance in Santa Fe Springs, call Jerry, he is a cool guy and great work/prices.

Yep - I'm in HB. Thanks for the source - I'll check'em out. :metal:

I used eddingsengine.com to build my motor, despite being all the way up in San Fernando and was blown away by their old school attitude (you know, actually doing what they committed to?) and realistic price structure, and that's what I'm looking for in everything else on the this truck and my 65' Chevelle Malibu.

NF65Fleetside 12-16-2009 01:41 PM

Jerry is your man then! thats what hes all about, guy has been doing this for a very long time. Work is priceless and wont take out a second mortgage! Plus hes about 30miles closer! here is the info...

Classic Auto Service
9127 Painter Avenue, Whittier, CA
(562) 789-8813‎

Look him up on here, 1gearhead

joe231 12-24-2009 09:56 AM

hey Mac, I found you your own personal emoticon.....
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...ult/dqueen.gif

;)

TimE 12-24-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3690969)
hey Mac, I found you your own personal emoticon.....
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...ult/dqueen.gif

;)

:haha::haha::haha:

VDOG 12-24-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3578942)
.....more.....(bottom one also shows newly mounted tool box) ;)

Is that a new or restored black plate?
Also what kind of power are you making from your 283?

MacAttack 12-28-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 3691166)
Is that a new or restored black plate?
Also what kind of power are you making from your 283?

Cheesy repaint on the plate - came out okay, but if I do it again I'll use a roller on the plate's raised characters.

Eddings Bros says, with the cam they installed - about 200 horses at the flex plate - using the 2-barrel Rochester. Nothing to run to the strip with, but it does keep right up with traffic and pretty much sips gas.

MacAttack 01-11-2010 02:42 PM

Put a glove box insert in Saturday. :smoke:

Did I tell you before that Classic Industries (in Huntington Beach) sells a great deal of utter crap? Well, if I didn't - I'm telling you now.

----

I'd had this box for about a year and after putting new wipers and arms on recently, I moved on to the next project - the glove box. Now in previous installations I knew the following:

> The material for the box is rather delicate - when compared with other items on the truck.

> Most manufacturers don't really make a distinction from year-to-year, even if there are some actual physical differences.

> You've got to have your chit together - fastener wise, because going cheap in this area will simply cause you grief.

The unit I got wasn't even close to having the right fastener locations (clips embedded in the paper board) and the four side slots near where it mounts on the dash were 3/4" off where I needed them to be and I had to trim this thing extensively.

90 minutes and 3 Heinekens later it was in and functional.

I ended up using two valve cover spreader washers on the two fasteners at the top/front, to spread the load out, and drilling a hole through each side - where the door mounts and stabbing in one new screw in each side.

I don't think I have any more Classic Industries components hanging around in my inventory - and I'll never order from them again. Honest.

Mac. ;)

padresag 01-11-2010 03:35 PM

the only problem Mac is that they more than likely all get everything from the same place
ron

MacAttack 01-11-2010 03:45 PM

Not what I wanted to hear, Ron. :smoke:

My neighbor is a Mazda Miata nut and races one, and he makes some molded graphite body parts for his car and friends.

Wonder if that technology would work for glove boxes?

Mac. ;)

padresag 01-11-2010 03:56 PM

it is not that great of a demand product so you are not going to have that many manufacturers competing for your $. there may be another manufacturer, but your just going to have to look . look for a good orig (used), you'll find one
Remember "life is not a bowl of cherries", though we would like it to be. you'll more than likely run into other obstacles that will remind you of your ex.
ron

MacAttack 01-11-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padresag (Post 3724269)
you'll more than likely run into other obstacles that will remind you of your ex.
ron

Yeah - I need more of that. :smoke:

(Next time I'll just make one out of plywood.)

Mac. ;)

jason65 01-11-2010 04:30 PM

Good job Mac. Good to see your still trucking along on it.

MacAttack 01-11-2010 04:48 PM

Thanks Jason - it's amazing how little items can be overlooked and not missed until you fix them.

The wiper arms and blades are an example: Had to put a socket over the driver's side drive shaft and gently pull on it with a 1/2" drive ratchet. Got it back to nearly stock and now the blade doesn't lift off the wind shield. Don't know how you'd bend one of those shafts - but it came to me like that in 2003, from the P/O.

Come on rain! Bring it!

Mac. :chevy:

jason65 01-12-2010 08:41 AM

I know what you mean. I'v been chiping away at the little stuff to. You thread reads like it's running and driveing well. Good to hear it.

protrash64 01-12-2010 10:19 AM

Glad to see you both are getting little stuff done.......wanna come over and play with some sandpaper??:lol:

MacAttack 01-12-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3725961)
.....wanna come over and play with some sandpaper??:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sure, if we can do some welding patches on the corners of my doors.

protrash64 01-12-2010 12:17 PM

No problem :thumbs:

MacAttack 01-25-2010 03:43 PM

:smoke: First oil change coming this Saturday, after the Donut Derelicts.

300 miles on the new motor.