The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

Lost in the 60's 04-04-2024 10:04 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9301323)

Very much!! I had inquired with a business that sells reclaimed lumber like this, doors, hardware, architectural features, etc. and he gets $28 a lineal foot. So, those beams would have been $400@ x 7 = $2,800. And oak not chestnut. I'm glad I came across that deal.

I was wondering what happened to that job, since you posted last year. I hadn't seen anything about it.
I don't imagine I need to say this, but be damned careful and have the upper level braced twice as good as you think it needs. Be terrible if it came down on you.

Lost in the 60's 04-04-2024 10:15 AM

I have a '67 Camaro too, that I have been restoring for a "while" now. I replaced the entire trunk floor a couple years ago and now that I am close to finishing the exterior repairs and getting ready for paint, I need to finish up the under side. I was laying on a creeper under it last weekend, trying to clean and grind welds and I was wet and dirty enough to give in and dig out the rotisserie to spin it on it's side for this work. I removed the entire drive train intact on the subframe. I had rebuilt/restored all of that several years ago and it needs nothing but a good clean from all the bodywork that has taken place. Was trying to avoid getting in this deep, but I guess I'm "all in" now...:lol:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...s/DSC00915.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...s/DSC00916.JPG

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...s/DSC00917.JPG

72c20customcamper 04-04-2024 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Catching up on my reading I’m way behind

CG 04-04-2024 02:17 PM

I went to the gym this morning and walked on the treadmill for an hour, then I stopped at the store and got a couple doughnuts and a qt of milk. Polished it off before I got back to the house.

dave6672 04-04-2024 07:05 PM

My kind of workout right there!

mr.mud1 04-04-2024 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost in the 60's (Post 9301454)
Hopefully you made a removable panel to access the in tank fuel pump ? PITA to drop the tank when it fails...

Thanks,I did make the next section and included provision for a removable panel to get at the fuel pump,if need be..maybe pictures tomorrow when I have the floor tacked in and the panel bolted in place.

special-K 04-04-2024 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost in the 60's (Post 9301457)
I was wondering what happened to that job, since you posted last year. I hadn't seen anything about it.
I don't imagine I need to say this, but be damned careful and have the upper level braced twice as good as you think it needs. Be terrible if it came down on you.

With the building being log it makes it self-supporting for the spans we will be removing. On the gable end (non bearing) I'll be removing from the door to the corner. At the door is the center beam for the floor. So I'll get a post under that, one on the inside corner under the floor framing, and on the back at the window also under the floor band board. It's fairly simple compared to studded walls.

I propped my post & beam barn up on temporary posts & beams inside, cut the posts of the barn off, poured stem walls 32'' offset from where the barn stood, and moved it over onto the new stem wall. That had a second floor with oak flooring. That took some forethought and planning, but it went very smoothly, without a hitch. I like a challenge

Willowrun 04-04-2024 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9301569)
With the building being log it makes it self-supporting for the spans we will be removing. On the gable end (non bearing) I'll be removing from the door to the corner. At the door is the center beam for the floor. So I'll get a post under that, one on the inside corner under the floor framing, and on the back at the window also under the floor band board. It's fairly simple compared to studded walls.

I propped my post & beam barn up on temporary posts & beams inside, cut the posts of the barn off, poured stem walls 32'' offset from where the barn stood, and moved it over onto the new stem wall. That had a second floor with oak flooring. That took some forethought and planning, but it went very smoothly, without a hitch. I like a challenge

Always enjoy the projects you tackle. Coming from a manufacturing background it's interesting to hear about carpentry/building type stuff since I've never done it other than small odd jobs around the house and the occasional help build a pole barn/roof a house type projects. The barn repair is very cool. Don't see barns like that in MI.

tutone 04-05-2024 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowrun (Post 9301573)
Always enjoy the projects you tackle. Coming from a manufacturing background it's interesting to hear about carpentry/building type stuff since I've never done it other than small odd jobs around the house and the occasional help build a pole barn/roof a house type projects. The barn repair is very cool. Don't see barns like that in MI.

I agree too. Tim is tackling a tough project. In west ky, there is a county named Callaway. There are several log barns scattered around. They range in various states of disrepair. They were at one time ,documented by a book or something. In our county, Graves, there was a barn builder in the first half if the 1900s that built round roof barns. Some are in use today.

Palf70Step 04-06-2024 08:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Spent a couple days with the boss doing some hiking ar Petit Jean park in Arkansas. Enjoy yhe quietness and for me the.hills like i grew up with in eastern pa. Not the flatness of the gulf coast. Used the Tacoma to see how it goes for long distance rides. Its ok. But like bigger trucks better. Need that V8 power baby! :mm:

Boog 04-06-2024 04:01 PM

Well welcome to Arkansas Bill. Petit Jean State Park is beautiful isn't it?

LS short box 04-06-2024 04:27 PM

Last night I took the snow plow off the Wrangler and put the regular bumper back.
Midwest folks don't swear at me if I jinxed it and we get another dump of snow.

mr.mud1 04-06-2024 05:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
a little more progress on my 39 Chrysler floor project.one more panel to make and probably the tailpan below the trunk lid as i doubt it's in good enough shape at the bottom,to weld the new floor to.

Steeveedee 04-06-2024 07:08 PM

You do fantastic metal work!

Palf70Step 04-06-2024 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9302036)
Well welcome to Arkansas Bill. Petit Jean State Park is beautiful isn't it?

Absolutely. We cMe last year and wife didn't get to do all shecwNted. So we came again this year. We really love the place.

mr.mud1 04-07-2024 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9302070)
You do fantastic metal work!

thank you sir.

LT7A 04-07-2024 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9302131)
thank you sir.

Looks really good Greg. Might have to clear coat it and drive it for awhile that way - too pretty to cover up.

Hey, isn't it past bed time over there in Nova Scotia?

mr.mud1 04-07-2024 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9302143)
Looks really good Greg. Might have to clear coat it and drive it for awhile that way - too pretty to cover up.

Hey, isn't it past bed time over there in Nova Scotia?

thanks you sir,appreciate that but i doubt i'll drive it like that but you might be onto something?a new look?and you're right,it should've been past bedtime but i was in no hurry to get there,nobody here but me and the cat,the Boss is in Halifax staying overnight visiting her new Grand Daughter.i have the rule of the roost and i'm taking advantage.ha ha.take care.holler anytime.

special-K 04-07-2024 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowrun (Post 9301573)
Always enjoy the projects you tackle...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutone (Post 9301631)
I agree too...

Thanks for the vote. Anyone can do this stuff once you grasp the principles involved. Some day I'll tell about the bank barn with a blown-out foundation I propped up and laid a new foundation up under. Jacking that huge monster of unknown weight had me very nervous. Just went real slow and checked everything repeatedly as I went. I employed safeguards, but still had my nerves tingling and my gut wrenching.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 9301918)
Spent a couple days with the boss doing some hiking ar Petit Jean park in Arkansas...

i'm jealous. I can see why you went back. Never been to the park but I rode backroads through some country that made me fall in love with that I'll never forget
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9302055)
a little more progress on my 39 Chrysler floor project.one more panel to make and probably the tailpan below the trunk lid as i doubt it's in good enough shape at the bottom,to weld the new floor to.

You make me proud just to know someone with such skills. It's great to know where I can have my floor made when I get a street road project going ;)

mr.mud1 04-07-2024 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9302208)
Thanks for the vote. Anyone can do this stuff once you grasp the principles involved. Some day I'll tell about the bank barn with a blown-out foundation I propped up and laid a new foundation up under. Jacking that huge monster of unknown weight had me very nervous. Just went real slow and checked everything repeatedly as I went. I employed safeguards, but still had my nerves tingling and my gut wrenching.

i'm jealous. I can see why you went back. Never been to the park but I rode backroads through some country that made me fall in love with that I'll never forget

You make me proud just to know someone with such skills. It's great to know where I can have my floor made when I get a street road project going ;)

yes sir,get one up here and we'll build a floor.

LS short box 04-07-2024 09:40 PM

Yesterday I got the 2020 Mustang GT vert out of our cold storage building to start the spring clean up. Not really much to do other than check the oil and go over it with a spray quick detailer.
Looks like Wednesday is the first cruise day top down cruise day temp wise.

72c20customcamper 04-07-2024 09:55 PM

Took mom to dinner celebrated her 90th

LockDoc 04-08-2024 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9302345)

Tell her I said Happy Birthday! That is a milestone for sure.

special-K 04-09-2024 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9302345)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9302684)
Tell her I said Happy Birthday! That is a milestone for sure.

Happy Birthday to your mom. That's great to hear

Micmac 04-09-2024 01:48 PM

Watching Red Sox Celebration of the 2004 "Reverse The Curse" year which ended a 86 year drought in Championships. All the guys are there. I watched em win with my Dad, he died a month later. This century has been kinder to the Red Sox.