The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Project "Popeye" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=383265)

LEEVON 11-29-2015 07:53 PM

Re: Project "Popeye"

4 Attachment(s)
Getting close to firing her up, tons of loose ends are tied up. The last major systems parts are radiator hoses and transmission cooler lines. I mounted the fuse block and MSD box this weekend, so I will be diving head first into the wiring next. I was going to remotely mount the ignition coils, but I ran out of room and it presented too many challenges so I drilled and tapped the valve covers, and put custom coil brackets there. Still happy with how it all lays out. Ignore the air breather, it's getting the original oil bath (gutted and 4 barreled).

iowaboynca 11-29-2015 11:21 PM

Was just looking at this build this morning and was going to ask on some progress, glad I didn't pester!

Looking sweet.

Coach529 11-29-2015 11:23 PM

Looks great!!

oldman3 11-30-2015 11:55 AM

Leevon, looks super, nice job...Jim

Coach529 11-30-2015 12:25 PM

I like that location of your air ride paddle switches. Where are you going to mount your air gauges?

LEEVON 11-30-2015 02:14 PM

Thanks all for keeping me going!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach529 (Post 7393735)
I like that location of your air ride paddle switches. Where are you going to mount your air gauges?

You can't see in the pic, but under the center of the dash is a 3 gauge panel with one tank pressure gauge and two dual-needle bag gauges. I'll get a better pic.

Coach529 11-30-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 7393835)
Thanks all for keeping me going!

You can't see in the pic, but under the center of the dash is a 3 gauge panel with one tank pressure gauge and two dual-needle bag gauges. I'll get a better pic.

I like it......I was going to hide the stuff, but I might have to copy you!

LEEVON 12-02-2015 03:59 PM

A friend is giving me the biggest rash of crap for not hiding the stuff, but frankly I don't want to have to open a door to push buttons or see gauges. His cars are super-trick though, hidden stuff popping out of everywhere.

59chev 12-02-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 7396377)
A friend is giving me the biggest rash of crap for not hiding the stuff, but frankly I don't want to have to open a door to push buttons or see gauges. His cars are super-trick though, hidden stuff popping out of everywhere.

I think it all has to do with the style that you are going for. For a streetrod style truck, hidden everything fits with the theme. Your truck has more of an old school vibe and I think someone hot rodding a truck back in the day would have made switches accessible and gauges visible.

reaper71 12-03-2015 10:45 AM

First off it's YOUR truck you do what makes you Happy!
Everyone will have their own opinion on what to do,but at the end of the day it's what you like.
It's still fairly neat and tidy not just a cobbled up mess!
I like it..

Mark...

LEEVON 12-04-2015 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the air bag gauge set-up. Tank pressure in the middle, dual-needle gauges on either side so I can monitor each bag pressure.

Coach529 01-16-2016 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 7398321)
Here is the air bag gauge set-up. Tank pressure in the middle, dual-needle gauges on either side so I can monitor each bag pressure.

I like this set up...........great job!!

LEEVON 01-17-2016 10:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I took a break from the tedious stuff (wiring) and put the bed floor in. I was going for cheap and easy, using T1-11 siding. The only issue was that I needed 49 3/4" width but of course the sheets are only 48". I had to buy two sheets which added to the cost and there is joint in the middle. I used high quality #12 self-tapping wood to sheet metal screws to attach the cross sills, then the front and rear edges. I also bolted the corner supports through. I blocked up the whole bed approx 5/8 to clear the pumpkin and my shock mounts. The bed was actually more square than I expected :lol: I will be staining it dark.

mcbassin 01-18-2016 09:45 AM

Excellent progress!

oldman3 01-18-2016 10:00 AM

Looks good...Jim

reaper71 01-18-2016 10:21 AM

Look's really good Leevon

Mark...

69CST-V 01-18-2016 10:33 AM

Nice work... Nothing cheap about getting it done. Looking good bud.

LEEVON 01-18-2016 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks all! I found some black/gray-ish stain at home, applied that with some sealer on top. It has the rough-sawn, weathered look I was going for but I didn't have to go demolish a barn.

Titorod 01-22-2016 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 7452093)
Thanks all! I found some black/gray-ish stain at home, applied that with some sealer on top. It has the rough-sawn, weathered look I was going for but I didn't have to go demolish a barn.

Wow great build. It is an inspiration. Thanks for all the info.

LEEVON 02-05-2016 12:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I hate it when I can't make/do/fix something on a project...because I like to be self-sufficient but sometimes you just gott ask for help. There is very limited space between the water pump outlet/thermostat housing and lower radiator inlet. I have tried about 5 different factory and aftermarket housings in different shapes and sizes. Beside the space issue, the O.D. on housings do not match the radiator and there is not enough room to reduce or change size. So I wound up using a billet LS thermostat housing I found on Ebay with an obscure aluminum elbow of the correct O.D. and calling in a favor to have them welded in the proper dimension and orientation. I think this is the most troublesome, and expensive part on Popeye so far. Behold one pain in the ass thermostat housing!

99 to Life 02-05-2016 05:57 PM

looks great, sometimes its the dumbest little things that take ten tries to get right. but its done and fixed and over with. moving along.

FarmerSid 02-05-2016 09:27 PM

Got that right 99!

LEEVON 02-09-2016 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The downside to having this truck at my shop is that I literally walk past it dozens of times per day and nearly every vendor and half the customer ask about it. This is actual torture since I have little time to do anything to finish it. So on a whim I loaded her up and sent her down to another shop to be wired today. She's in good hands and may actually get done now!

ratty 46 02-10-2016 12:09 AM

Man's gotta know his limitations and realize, sometimes, some help is needed. No one is an island ... don't fret - you'll probably get it done a lot earlier than you'd anticipated.

Looks good so far ... I'd be itch'n to ride at this point so some welcome help .... priceless.

R46

Coach529 02-10-2016 11:05 AM

Definitely no shame in that. Looking forward to seeing that awesome truck on the road!!