The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=568482)

Greenlee 03-20-2016 09:13 PM

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Looking good! You have done a beautiful job on this thing. :metal:

swamp rat 03-21-2016 02:12 AM

Your doing a great job figuring it all out, this tells me that I will need to take a lot of pictures!

7dee2 03-21-2016 10:11 AM

Man cave curtains that's pretty good! :lol:

rgunlock 03-21-2016 10:28 AM

Thanks guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7529836)
Your doing a great job figuring it all out, this tells me that I will need to take a lot of pictures!

Thanks Mike. On my next project, I will know better not only to take a bunch of pictures, but how to take them. I took a bunch on this project, but have found that I didn't have quite the right picture. Or I can't find the picture among the thousands of generically named pictures I took.

I think it is important to keep firmly in mind that when you take a picture you are doing it with the idea that you may be reassembling years later. Make sure you get enough context in the picture to know what you are looking at. Use a screwdriver or something to point at the part and where it fastens, etc. so it is clear later. I also pulled a number of parts off that I didn't snap a picture at all. I suppose at the time it seemed obvious where it went. Not so much 4 years down the road when I'm trying to figure out where it goes.

Good thing we have this forum to get help when needed!

quadzero 03-25-2016 10:41 PM

This attention to detail is amazing. Looks like I'm looking at pictures of a brand new truck. Keep up the great work.

rgunlock 03-29-2016 11:35 AM

Thank you quadzero. It does feel like I'm in the home stretch, but getting less time on it lately. Checked and the honey-do list was up to 27 projects I've been putting off thinking I'd be done with this truck by now. Finally broke down and decided that for a while it will have to be 75% honey-do and 25% truck until I can get a handle on that list:lol::lol:

swamp rat 03-29-2016 10:57 PM

Honey dew list longer, days warmer, and longer......

7dee2 03-30-2016 10:22 AM

It's true happy wife = happy life! Makes it easier for my wife to put up with the hobby.

rgunlock 04-03-2016 08:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, significant progress being made on honey-do #1. Dug ditches, ran PVC, put in a valve and voila - irrigation. Just need to put in a couple spray heads after finishing the rock work. Also ran the invisible dog fence wire around the bed and finished digging and pouring the footing (ok spreading dry concrete mix and watering it down). Working on the rock work now. About 6 years ago I made the rock sidewalk. Its about 3 times more than you can see in the picture. After today's bending and stooping and mortering, I can't believe I was able to do that sidewalk 6 years ago:lol: Damn I'm getting old. Going to have to finish all the rock work projects soon or they'll never get done:lol:

rgunlock 04-03-2016 08:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
But I've also gotten in a little truck time. Got the "innerds" of the driver side door pretty much done. All new felt and rubber around the window and vent. Door closes easily and tight. After wearing my back out on rockwork today, got after the passenger door stuff. Pretty much all cleaned and painted and ready to rebuild.

Greenlee 04-04-2016 11:38 PM

Looking good! Those door innerds can be a pain. I had hell with one of my window regulators. Turns out it was bent.

Can't wait to see some more pics! :metal:

y5mgisi 04-05-2016 07:45 AM

After I out all my new door seals in I can't get any of the doors to close without slamming!

Greenlee 04-05-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7548678)
After I out all my new door seals in I can't get any of the doors to close without slamming!

I had this problem and just adjusted the striker out a bit. When the seals break in you can move it back.

7dee2 04-05-2016 09:55 AM

Nice work Rick on both projects. That rock work you do looks pretty nice! :5150:

rgunlock 04-05-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlee (Post 7548454)
Looking good! Those door innerds can be a pain. I had hell with one of my window regulators. Turns out it was bent.

Can't wait to see some more pics! :metal:

Mine were a bit of a pain as well. Even though I masked all around the window opening, I did put a scratch in my paint trying to get the window in. Turns out it is easier to run the window in from one end than trying to get the regulator rollers started in that opening in the rail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenlee (Post 7548730)
I had this problem and just adjusted the striker out a bit. When the seals break in you can move it back.

I had the same issue. Just put more washers under the striker. My originals had 3 washers each so I just used some of those. No slamming required now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 7548793)
Nice work Rick on both projects. That rock work you do looks pretty nice! :5150:

Thanks Brett. I can't take all the credit though. I do the mortar and set the rock. My wife comes along and scrapes out the joints to make it look nice.

mjensen 04-16-2016 09:29 AM

Hi Rick! It's been a while since I've been on the forum. It's awesome to come back and see all this progress. The truck is looking great!

Greenlee 05-09-2016 10:34 PM

Got any more pics or are you too busy driving it? :lol:

boynton 05-09-2016 10:44 PM

Seriously... we need an update

rgunlock 05-10-2016 07:31 AM

Thanks for checking in guys. Haven't posted lately because I haven't gotten that much more done splitting my time up with honey-do's.

I did finish rebuilding my vent windows and have both doors back together with all the new rubber, felts, handles, locks, etc. Haven't progressed much on the wiring lately. Got a little of the trim back on. Mostly just small odd jobs.

swamp rat 05-11-2016 01:52 AM

Better Honey Do's than my latest issue LOL!

rgunlock 05-11-2016 07:14 AM

No kidding Mike. Take care of that shoulder!

rgunlock 05-30-2016 06:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Not a lot to update on, but still making a little progress. I'd mentioned having the doors mostly done (exterior anyway), so here's a picture. Sorry for the poor quality. Also got my guage cluster back together. New (used) clock and a new speedo. Mostly the guages that were replaced is because I broke things trying to remove needles:waah:

Back to wiring, and so far I still feel justified in being intimidated by this. Spent about 2 hours working on the cluster harness. Mutilated several of the terminal ends. The blue barrel connector on the black ground wires is because I ran out of the terminals with larger openings for crimping in 2 wires. Even have a very nice ratcheting crimper, but no instructions for it. you-tube didn't help much for these type terminal ends.

Now I have this other connector that is supposed to tie into the big connector that goes into the cluster. The dang wires are all mixed up color-wise from what the picture shows for my 78 with guages page. For that matter, it doesn't seem to match any of the pictures for different years. Not sure if they intend that I rearrange the wires to match the picture (instructions don't say). And if so, how to remove the terminals from the connector without damaging them (instructions don't say). Guess that American Autowire is going to get a call from me this week.

Any case, any progress is good progress so I'm not complaining - I only sound like I am :lol::lol:

cmabolt 06-01-2016 11:27 AM

Keep at it Rick! I found AAW to be very helpful on the phone a couple times when I got in a pinch. Glad to see the progress though.

Chris

boynton 06-02-2016 10:05 PM

I wish I was there helping you.

rgunlock 06-03-2016 05:52 PM

Thanks Chris!

Boynton - I wish you were too, but I think you'd need a fast boat to get here this weekend :lol: