The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   1965 LWB Stepside Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737785)

roll_the_dice 10-29-2020 11:52 AM

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

4 Attachment(s)
Dropped by the shop today to check on my truck.

WE HAVE EXHAUST! :metal::metal::chevy:

They just need to button everything up and I will have it back. Was very hard letting someone else touch my truck after 3 years of working on it...

They need to wet sand and polish the dash where the welded in my patch panel and put the windshield back in ...they took it out to paint the dash. The engine bay is real clean how they ran the wiring and such for the vintage air. Here are a few pics I took. Will take better ones in the sunlight when I get the truck home.

I also cranked it and Oh My Gosh it sounds good! Can't wait to get it back so I can drop the bed on it and cruise!

The Rocknrod 10-29-2020 02:12 PM

Great progress, thanks for the updates.

350TacoZilla 10-29-2020 02:35 PM

Looking good! it will be together before you know it now.

Before you put bed back on I would hit all the welds of exhaust with some high temp paint (personally I would paint whole system from mufflers right up to tips) I know with the exhaust getting spray from tires the welds can start rusting pretty quick.

roll_the_dice 10-29-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla (Post 8828889)
Looking good! it will be together before you know it now.

Before you put bed back on I would hit all the welds of exhaust with some high temp paint (personally I would paint whole system from mufflers right up to tips) I know with the exhaust getting spray from tires the welds can start rusting pretty quick.

Thanks...good advice! Never thought about the welds rusting...since it is stainless pipe I "assumed" I was fine. Good call!

350TacoZilla 10-29-2020 02:59 PM

Yeah I mean as long as they used stainless wire to weld it up it wont rust through or anything but might still get specks of rust through weld and at hangers. I know some shops just weld the stainless with standard wire and that rusts so better to throw something on it either way for me lol.

cwcarpenter98 10-29-2020 05:35 PM

Thanks for showing how the exhaust was run. That's almost exactly what I was thinking about doing with my truck once I get to that point of needing it done, so it's good to see that it will all clear. Did you use 2.5" pipe?

roll_the_dice 10-29-2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla (Post 8828901)
Yeah I mean as long as they used stainless wire to weld it up it wont rust through or anything but might still get specks of rust through weld and at hangers. I know some shops just weld the stainless with standard wire and that rusts so better to throw something on it either way for me lol.

I will ask them what they used, but I would rather be safe than sorry! So I am sure I will get some high heat paint this weekend so I can spray it real quick before I put the bed on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8828974)
Thanks for showing how the exhaust was run. That's almost exactly what I was thinking about doing with my truck once I get to that point of needing it done, so it's good to see that it will all clear. Did you use 2.5" pipe?

It is 2.5" pipe...I like how it is run. I didn't want anything super fancy... $$$. Sounded good too. I will shoot a video of the sound after I get it back.

pdxhall 10-30-2020 03:15 PM

It looks like you had better luck than I did with the shop you chose. Nice work. Where does it cross to the outside of the frame? I would also recommend putting some high temp paint down.

roll_the_dice 10-30-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8829340)
It looks like you had better luck than I did with the shop you chose. Nice work. Where does it cross to the outside of the frame? I would also recommend putting some high temp paint down.

Thanks, I was expecting them to tell me I needed to swap out to a mini starter. I told them when I took it if it needed it, just let me know and do it.

I will be honest, I was so excited to see and hear the exhaust, I didn't look to see where it crossed. I "assume" it is angling back directly out of the manifold, maybe that is how they got around the starter. I will look when I get it back.

roll_the_dice 11-08-2020 03:16 PM

As most of you know my truck is in the shop getting exhaust and having my vintage air charged. I got a call from the shop Friday at about 1PM saying my new condenser is leaking. It is new, but also 3 years old..since I just got around to installing it but have had it since May of 2017. I called the place I bought it from and they said I had to go through Vintage Air, they could do nothing for me. So I called Vintage Air not really thinking I could get it replaced under warranty. I had to leave a message. Shane from VA called me back within 30 minutes and I told him the situation...and said it is out of warranty by a few months. Shane said, that's OK, we are going to take care of you! He found my original order and asked where I wanted it sent...About an hour later I received an email with shipping notification...and today I received it! I could not believe I got it so fast. They are in TX and I am in GA. Any build I do in the future will have Vintage Air in it...their customer service was above anything I expected! Thanks again Shane and Vintage Air!

88Stanger 11-08-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8833224)
As most of you know my truck is in the shop getting exhaust and having my vintage air charged. I got a call from the shop Friday at about 1PM saying my new condenser is leaking. It is new, but also 3 years old..since I just got around to installing it but have had it since May of 2017. I called the place I bought it from and they said I had to go through Vintage Air, they could do nothing for me. So I called Vintage Air not really thinking I could get it replaced under warranty. I had to leave a message. Shane from VA called me back within 30 minutes and I told him the situation...and said it is out of warranty by a few months. Shane said, that's OK, we are going to take care of you! He found my original order and asked where I wanted it sent...About an hour later I received an email with shipping notification...and today I received it! I could not believe I got it so fast. They are in TX and I am in GA. Any build I do in the future will have Vintage Air in it...their customer service was above anything I expected! Thanks again Shane and Vintage Air!

That is awesome! I have used them on my "69 and will use them my "66. Customer service for smaller company will make or break the company if you ask me. Awesome for you and great looking truck!

cwcarpenter98 11-08-2020 05:42 PM

That's good to hear. I love hearing good things about a company I'm considering purchasing from

roll_the_dice 11-09-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8833234)
That is awesome! I have used them on my "69 and will use them my "66. Customer service for smaller company will make or break the company if you ask me. Awesome for you and great looking truck!

I agree, customer service is a dying art form, but the companies that understand it get my business....can't go wrong with VA!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8833282)
That's good to hear. I love hearing good things about a company I'm considering purchasing from

Yeah, it is nice to know you picked the right company for your hard earned money!

vin63 11-09-2020 02:32 PM

Awesome progress! And, Vintage Air has always been good to me, too, on some of my oddball requests and part replacements.

roll_the_dice 11-10-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vin63 (Post 8833681)
Awesome progress! And, Vintage Air has always been good to me, too, on some of my oddball requests and part replacements.

Thanks Vince! Yeah, VA replaced decals I didn't receive 3 years later also. They seem to want to take care of their customers for sure! Just wish I could buy directly from them instead of someone else so they would get a bigger slice.

roll_the_dice 12-05-2020 07:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
OK finally got my truck back the day before Thanksgiving, but it wasn't running great...so the last week I have been dialing in the EFI and doing some minor things. Today, I got a major thing done...finally put the bed back on it. 3 of my buddies from Church came this morning to help me. Only took a few minutes to get it on and the bolts through the wood bed. You know you have good friends when they get under your truck to help line things up!

Here are a few pics of the process and the finished product...although the truck isn't finished, my wife and I did go for a quick cruise late this afternoon. Was so nice being able to get in and go...Now just need to button some things up..front bumper, seat belts, etc.

cwcarpenter98 12-05-2020 08:00 PM

Heck yeah man! The truck looks great!

Johns 66 12-05-2020 10:21 PM

Love it...Always nice to have friends help....Looks great Andy!!!!

straight6chevyguy 12-08-2020 04:48 PM

Looking good!

roll_the_dice 12-08-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8845501)
Heck yeah man! The truck looks great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8845573)
Love it...Always nice to have friends help....Looks great Andy!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8846991)
Looking good!

Thanks guys...it's getting there!

roll_the_dice 12-08-2020 10:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got some things done this week....installed the front bumper..finished wiring the tail lights and license plate I also had an old Chevrolet script valve cover. I painted it Detroit Diesel Green. I then sat it over my existing valve cover to see what it would look like. I LOVE it. So now this made up my mind...I will be getting script covers with PCV and breather. I need to save my money for these though...they aren't cheap.

roll_the_dice 12-08-2020 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also bought some sail panels and I sat one on today to see what it would look like. Not sure if I will use them or not...They are from a 60-63, not 64-66...which I am not sure I care, but since step sides never had them...not sure if it looks weird or not. So before I put them on with screws, I need to decide.

The Rocknrod 12-09-2020 08:46 AM

Nice.

88Stanger 12-09-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8847151)
I also bought some sail panels and I sat one on today to see what it would look like. Not sure if I will use them or not...They are from a 60-63, not 64-66...which I am not sure I care, but since step sides never had them...not sure if it looks weird or not. So before I put them on with screws, I need to decide.

I want a set of those, so if you decide not to use them, i may be interested in buying them from you.

By the way AWESOME build! great work sir!!

straight6chevyguy 12-09-2020 12:56 PM

I think the sale panels look good.
(I have the same ones on my 65 by the way!)