The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

idbeast 04-23-2018 06:46 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

5 Attachment(s)
Started by cleaning out the garage, then reworked my cab lifting jig to work with my cherry picker then put my old '56 cab on my spare 59 frame then moved it out in the yard with some other projects. Then mowed the grass growing in the driveway, and moved our daily drivers back in their normal places!

evilokc 04-23-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebernst (Post 8244947)
I took my truck out for a drive today! It was fantastic. She's running great, and I'm anxious to dive into a bunch of little things that will make driving more enjoyable, like new door & window seals, weatherstripping, and then diving into the interior! Here's a picture of my pickup today. Here's a few more photos of the truck I took recently. Build thread link in my sig.

I love the look of your truck. mine was the same color but when I got it the jack off had tried to primer half of it in 3 different colors. you have motor and interior pics?

evilokc 04-23-2018 09:47 PM

it figures that I whacked my hand at work today. I had been planning to get my wires loomed and tucked in today. I did go out and start looming but my hand was throbbing about half way to the rear of the frame. I planned to go back out after dinner but ended up taking a walk instead. will give it another go tomorrow. the good news is 1) I made progress on a Monday. 2) I hooked the battery up and the vintage air unit worked! now the compressor isn't hooked up yet so it was really just the fan but that counts.

MARTINSR 04-24-2018 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8245857)
it figures that I whacked my hand at work today. I had been planning to get my wires loomed and tucked in today. I did go out and start looming but my hand was throbbing about half way to the rear of the frame. I planned to go back out after dinner but ended up taking a walk instead. will give it another go tomorrow. the good news is 1) I made progress on a Monday. 2) I hooked the battery up and the vintage air unit worked! now the compressor isn't hooked up yet so it was really just the fan but that counts.

Sorry to hear it, darn it, I know how that is.

Brian

MARTINSR 04-24-2018 01:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a three foot long weld ground down on the cowl, removed the door getting ready for tomorrow's next step.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 04-24-2018 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8246021)
Got a three foot long weld ground down on the cowl, removed the door getting ready for tomorrow's next step.

Brian

Was that a door crease in the cowl?

MARTINSR 04-24-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8246043)
Was that a door crease in the cowl?

Nope, a slot was made to make a better door fit, moved the edge of the jam forward a 1/16" or so.

Brian

MARTINSR 04-24-2018 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I have been very tired the last few days falling asleep in the lunch room. I had to get out to the garage of course and I welded up a bunch of seams on the passenger door, got something done!

I also measured the frame and the garage to see if it would fit in there. It's a "two car" garage with only a one car garage door. This is another thing that has hung me up, with the Gran Sport in there I was screwed. Well................I figured out that I can move my tool box, take the doors off my storage thingie and the frame will fit there tucked into the storage thingie I can get the cab on the frame and section the hood when needed. WHOOO HOOO!

Brian

robertsjm711 04-25-2018 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got an acceptable pattern! Only took a couple days...

MARTINSR 04-25-2018 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got almost all the welds done on the door and ground, WHOO HOOOO! Got the window channel welded in. All I have left is the tab of the skin cut off for sectioning the door along the bottom front. I made a pattern, cut the metal and prepped and etch primed it with the door so tomorrow it will be dry for me to weld it in, and the door will be completely done!

Brian

Advanced Design 04-26-2018 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebernst (Post 8244947)
I took my truck out for a drive today! It was fantastic. She's running great, and I'm anxious to dive into a bunch of little things that will make driving more enjoyable, like new door & window seals, weatherstripping, and then diving into the interior! Here's a picture of my pickup today. Here's a few more photos of the truck I took recently. Build thread link in my sig.

Great looking truck! Nice work in your build thread. Very clean suspension work and LS install.

evilokc 04-26-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsjm711 (Post 8246937)
Got an acceptable pattern! Only took a couple days...

what gear ratio if it?

robertsjm711 04-26-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8248636)
what gear ratio if it?

3:31

MARTINSR 04-27-2018 12:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the passenger door all finished up welding in that bottom fold of the skin that I cut off when I sectioned the door. I added a few more welds across the middle too after I took this photo. But it's all done, off the rack sitting in the garage and I am ready to finish up this side of the cab as I did the other. Things are coming along!

Brian

Black_Sheep 04-28-2018 12:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I finished getting some parts ready for paint tomorrow. I shot satin black on the core support and the first few inches of the inner fenders that will be visible through the grille. The engine side of the core support, inner fenders and the hood latch panel will get Ford High Performance white with a matte clear to match the firewall.

MARTINSR 04-28-2018 12:06 AM

Good stuff!

Brian

MARTINSR 04-28-2018 02:04 AM

I got out there, cleaned up the cab a bit, it's a truck cab, I had forgotten that! I can put a seat in there and a steering wheel and drive it! Well almost, got a little ways to go.

I removed some metal and fit a piece to weld back in that was cut out right at the top of the R windshield post that I removed during the chop. It's fit and clamped into place ready for me to weld it in tomorrow.

Brian

Kevin Mac 04-28-2018 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I upgraded my tank fill so it will hopefully fill faster without air kicking back. The air vent in the tank is on one far end, and the baffles go darn near the top, so I think the air had trouble getting out when I filled. The fill also was offset a little, so I welded in a new bung straight under filler neck and added another vent in the middle to vent to filler neck while filling.

evilokc 04-28-2018 06:57 PM

dropped my dented fender off at the body shop to be fixed

MARTINSR 04-29-2018 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8249950)
dropped my dented fender off at the body shop to be fixed

That's getting something done!

Brian

MARTINSR 04-29-2018 01:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I had a FULL day for sure! Ran in my daughters "color run" at her school, yes that's me on the left in bouncy ball thing with my daughter. Then helped Nick put a Stereo in his Miata and he rebuilt the shifter while I was welding in that piece above the windshield. Then removed all the metal to do the kick panel, made the kick panel piece getting it finished up.

Then two Giants games and now the Warriors, WHOOOOO HOOOOO...I am ready for bed.

Brian

Black_Sheep 04-29-2018 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some sealer on the core support and inner fenders followed by a round of color. I ended up with a couple runs on the inner fenders so I stopped and let everything dry overnight. Will address the runs this morning and shoot them again with Ford High Performance White followed by matte clear.

MARTINSR 04-29-2018 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After walking a hundred miles around the most awesome "car" show in Half moon Bay California I was pretty beat. But there is no way I am going to go a day without putting in my "five minutes" right now, I am driven. Anyway, got out there and welded up some holes under the gutter. I ground the welds and then sand blasted the gutter and the area where it welds in and then applied etch/weld through primer. I must have went back and turned on the welder 387 times to weld little spots I missed after I thought it was ready for primer, geez. But got it done and I am went into the house to collapse.

Brian

MARTINSR 05-01-2018 12:22 AM

I thought I was going to get the gutter welded in, but it took me quite a while to get it screwed up there to weld, thus, no welding. But it will be ready tomorrow, WHOOO HOOOO!

Brian

idbeast 05-01-2018 08:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the 4 link and Moser ford 9" in, then flipped the frame upright. Also installing brake lines.

MARTINSR 05-02-2018 10:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I stopped by Harbor Freight and got myself a little belt grinder for home. It's not as nice as the quality ones off a tool truck but it will do the job for me at home..I am thinking..we will see. I knew I would be welding my passenger side rain gutter in and around the corners even the little 2" grinder was making the job of grinding those welds tough, this little belt baby did the job, very cool.

I also didn't have the fight with the welds I did on the other side being I cleaned up the weld thru primer with my spot blaster at each hole, that made a bunch of difference!

I am mooching off my son and using his welding helmet the last few nights. It's Jackson and cost about $325, not a cheapie for sure, but DAAAAAMN that sucker is nice!

Got my passenger gutter welded in, and finished off ready to move on, WHOOOO HOOOO!

Brian

Advanced Design 05-02-2018 12:44 PM

Nice work Brian. The little belt sander sure smoothed the welds....I’ve seen them though have yet to pick one up.

b-mac 05-02-2018 01:18 PM

I break the belts on mine all the time.

So did you weld the rain gutters back on? I have a rust hole behind one of mine that will need fixed, and I'm debating on removing them completely.

MARTINSR 05-02-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-mac (Post 8252819)
I break the belts on mine all the time.

So did you weld the rain gutters back on? I have a rust hole behind one of mine that will need fixed, and I'm debating on removing them completely.

Yep, I removed them for the top chop. Then reshaped and shortened them to fit the roof and plug welded them back in place.

Honestly, I would remove it and put it back in, I have some extra ones if you need them but they were cut at the front so you will have to weld pieces on from yours. But they are pretty decent as I remember.

But yeah, drill out the spot welds and removing them is not a big deal.

As far as removing them, did that with my first cab back in the seventies when I chopped it. I won't make that mistake again, the water poured in! Think about it, the top of the door gets full of water being the rubber doesn't let it come inside, and when you open the door it dumps on your head!

Nope, I will work with the gutters.

Brian

b-mac 05-02-2018 05:53 PM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/c4...w1096-h1461-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sz...w1948-h1461-no

It's right at the end of my drip rail. Unfortunately, I can't get to it from below.

The rest of the rail is in good shape. I'm sure I could remove, fix rust and then reinstall. I doubt it will see much rain though.

MARTINSR 05-02-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-mac (Post 8252987)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/c4...w1096-h1461-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sz...w1948-h1461-no

It's right at the end of my drip rail. Unfortunately, I can't get to it from below.

The rest of the rail is in good shape. I'm sure I could remove, fix rust and then reinstall. I doubt it will see much rain though.

If it's not going to see rain, remove them, it's not that big of a deal, I survived even driving it every day.

Brian

evilokc 05-02-2018 08:42 PM

I got most of the wiring loomed and tucked. I started the truck to let it run and of course it didn't want to idle. the high idle didn't kick in to keep it running so I gave it gas and it seemed rich. I had to turn the idle screw up to keep it running even after it was warm. I'm so sick of stupid issues it ran fine 3 weeks ago. its possible the issue s because its at an angle but I cant see why. I'm really annoyed. REALLY ANNOYED!!

idbeast 05-02-2018 11:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got my seat bracket changed to 2 pieces instead of 1 then installed the center console and drivers seat. Next I need to put in the passenger seat then space everything out and drill the brackets.

MARTINSR 05-03-2018 09:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the right inside windshield moulding cut and done. My gas welding is getting better, butt welding this super thin stuff is not easy, welded it with my jewelers torch with .030 mig wire as filler. I am getting better at it. Hit it with 80 grit 3" disc and then 320, wham, ready for chrome. WHOOO HOOOO!

Brian

oldman3 05-03-2018 09:45 AM

Came out great...Jim

dsraven 05-03-2018 10:28 AM

dumb question, but what does a jeweller's torch look like?

that came out really nice.

MARTINSR 05-03-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8253467)
dumb question, but what does a jeweller's torch look like?

that came out really nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Jewele...-/252387144460

Brian

dsraven 05-03-2018 01:09 PM

well, would you look at that cutesie little torch, humph, never seen one before.
I gotta get out more.....

Black_Sheep 05-03-2018 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sanding this piece back to bare metal because someone knocked it off the stand and scratched the heck out of it. She felt pretty bad about it, but probably not as bad as me...

MiraclePieCo 05-03-2018 11:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8250201)
Then two Giants games and now the Warriors, WHOOOOO HOOOOO...
Brian

Wow, how about Steph Curry? Out 5 weeks with an injury, then just 11 seconds into his first game back swishes a three, scores 28 points in 27 minutes, including a couple of threes from the logo and that amazing "switch hands in mid-air" layin! That guy is entertainment plus!

Here are pics of the stuff I've been doing: