The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=306237)

Rokcrln 12-10-2009 02:52 PM

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critter (Post 3666900)
I believe the Ford Excursions are that way as well...

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/pre-ow...-rear-view.jpg

Yes they are but see those ugly Ars hinges! I spent several hours getting rid of the hatch exposed hinges for a hidden style and these are no different. I will not pull the body until all fab design work is worked out and now it almost is!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

MrBeast 12-10-2009 03:12 PM

Yeah, the hinges on that excursion look like an afterthought, they are tacky.

pickup67man 12-10-2009 05:12 PM

Where did you find those hinges? I have cargo doors and would like to hide those ugly hinges. Don't know if I will go 180* or just 90* but I love them already.

wancosc356 12-10-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickup67man (Post 3667175)
Where did you find those hinges? I have cargo doors and would like to hide those ugly hinges. Don't know if I will go 180* or just 90* but I love them already.

I believe they are a LFD, one off, hand made set.

Rokcrln 12-11-2009 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickup67man (Post 3667175)

The basic 90* hinge is from Suicide doors. I have seen sets going for $150 + and these were $379+ and I was hopping they were top of the line. Well they are and then some, well worth the extra money for the quality of the kit. I then mod'd two sets to try and make a 180* but don't think it will work out like I want. I was only able to get about 130* of open before the edge of the door bound up on the hinge arm. Unless I have a notch in the door edge to clear (no way I will do that) then it looks like I will settle for 90* of hidden over a bit more with notches.

Kevin
LFD inc.

LOW DOUGH 12-14-2009 12:54 PM

can't wait to see the your rear..... the doors that is.

67cheby 12-14-2009 01:44 PM

WOW i have heard of a BRO-MANCE before and i am awed by LFDs work as much as the next man ... BUT "I cant wait to see your rear" THAT IS OVER THE TOP MAN!!!!

Rokcrln 12-16-2009 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 3674343)
WOW i have heard of a BRO-MANCE before and i am awed by LFDs work as much as the next man ... BUT "I cant wait to see your rear" THAT IS OVER THE TOP MAN!!!!

I seem to remember that saying about 2 things come from TX.........:lol:

Well a small update on parts showing up. I received my in tank pump and bracket so I can finish the fuel tank. I also just got the package from Speed & Performance with my re-flashed computer, DBW gas pedal, MAS air flow meter and my complete harness. So I should have everything I need to get it to fire up with a few runs to the local Napa but now I need to find the time. Things will be a bit slow until after Christmas because I have an ArticCat and 2 Rinos to build cages for before Christmas so they can head to the dunes and play. I have to do a shop clean up so I can get back on the 41 chevy now that I have my air system on its way as well as the SS V-clamps for the exhaust. Then I might find a few hours to start playing on the Tahoe again.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

67cheby 12-16-2009 11:18 AM

chuckle ,chuckle

LOW DOUGH 12-16-2009 02:16 PM

:lol: I wanted to say rear doors, but thought it would be funny to leave it as rear. I JUST want to see the back of the tahoe after the doors are done.

Rokcrln 12-17-2009 12:27 AM

So after I got the cage work done on three of these ATV's I finished up my gas tank and all that is left is PSI testing and run some lines to the front. Boy is that tank heavy but being built out of 14 ga it did not warp very bad at all and sure was nice welding something thick for a change.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

He is adding two seats in the back for his kids so he wanted a bit more protection.

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/DSC08111.jpg[/IMG]

Got to use my tube roller for the dash bar!

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/DSC08112.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/DSC08113.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/DSC08114.jpg[/IMG]

View of the sump.

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/DSC08115.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/DSC08116.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/DSC08117.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/DSC08120.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/DSC08121.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...n/DSC08123.jpg[/IMG]

VA72C10 12-17-2009 01:33 AM

Purdy. Very nice work as usual.

Puropedo 12-17-2009 03:08 AM

Tank turned out sweet! Do you mind telling us how much was the wiring harness for your 5.3 and for the computer re-flashing? Aslo, didnt your 5.3 came with an air flow meter sensor?

Rokcrln 12-17-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puropedo (Post 3679146)
Tank turned out sweet! Do you mind telling us how much was the wiring harness for your 5.3 and for the computer re-flashing? Aslo, didnt your 5.3 came with an air flow meter sensor?

I had to buy a MAF, DBW gas pedal, harness (with rear 0s's removed) and the computer re-flash and it was about $1600. You can find cheaper or even do the harness your self like several board members have done and I have done in the past. Also you can source missing parts from the wrecker but I have no extra time right now and wanted it done! Plus I have always had great luck with S&P.
Plus I found out yesterday I did not have the TAC module to control the Drive by wire gas pedal so their went another $200 :)

Kevin
LFD Inc.

camokid 12-30-2009 09:46 PM

I dont know if you have looked at the door hinges on the new chevy extended cabs but those doors open like 180 or so and they just use two springs on bigger then the other to make it have a stop of sorts half way....I was looking at my dads new extended cab and they looked like they would do the trick...

Rokcrln 12-31-2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camokid (Post 3701065)
I dont know if you have looked at the door hinges on the new chevy extended cabs but those doors open like 180 or so and they just use two springs on bigger then the other to make it have a stop of sorts half way....I was looking at my dads new extended cab and they looked like they would do the trick...

I did look at those to start with but because the the body curve and the way those hinges "tuck in" they would not work on this set up. But thanks for looking out.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

gcburdic 12-31-2009 02:46 PM

Not sure why I haven't subscribe to this build already, but here I am.....:lol:

itchy... 01-01-2010 06:08 PM

Wow, what a way to spend a new years day. New to the board, and just found the thread. Just read all 897 posts. I'm gonna go out to the my garage now and burn it down, along with my junk.
Fantastic craftsman ship. I dont know how you juggle work, play and a family. What ever your secret is, keep it up.
Cheers, The Drunk Pollock.

tdave00 01-04-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchy... (Post 3704282)
Wow, what a way to spend a new years day. New to the board, and just found the thread. Just read all 897 posts. I'm gonna go out to the my garage now and burn it down, along with my junk.
Fantastic craftsman ship. I dont know how you juggle work, play and a family. What ever your secret is, keep it up.
Cheers, The Drunk Pollock.

Join the club. Sounds exactly like how I got hooked. Except I didn't burn down the garage! :lol: Well, I didn't have a garage at the time, or any junk either.

mcbassin 01-04-2010 10:40 PM

Kevin,
Do you have a set of drawings for that gas tank? You think you will want to sell them on the board? Cost? You think that tank with minor mods would fit on a truck frame. I might be interested in building one like that.

Rokcrln 01-04-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 3711114)
Kevin,
Do you have a set of drawings for that gas tank? You think you will want to sell them on the board? Cost? You think that tank with minor mods would fit on a truck frame. I might be interested in building one like that.

No that tank is a 1 off to fit around my vett rear suspension and frame notches. For a truck I would just use the mid 80-90's blazer 26 gal tank. You can run it with a carb or an in tank efi pump and they are simple and cheap. I used 1 in LowBuk with great results and I have one I got for my tahoe until I found I would have to cut most of it apart before it would work.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

mcbassin 01-05-2010 12:00 AM

No problem Kevin, I was just thinking I have bunch of polished stainless sheetmetal out in my "salvage" that is around .060" thick I believe. Was hoping to put it to good use and only need to buy a few things to make it. I like the Idea of a blazer tank too. I should be able to find one of those pretty easy or even buy a new one. thanks and keep hammering on the Tahoe.

camokid 01-09-2010 11:50 AM

well I wa ssnooping around a few web sites and came across AVS' site and the are advertising 180 door hinges.....Dont know if this helps, but might take a look at it mang,

Jeff

Rokcrln 01-10-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camokid (Post 3720072)
well I wa ssnooping around a few web sites and came across AVS' site and the are advertising 180 door hinges.....Dont know if this helps, but might take a look at it mang,

Jeff

A lot of company's advertise "180*" door hinges and they are talking 180* from each other (90+90):waah: But thanks for keeping me in mind!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

butternut1972 01-10-2010 01:37 PM

looks awesome. The wife and i are taking a road trip to vegas at the end of feb for the nascar race, i might have to stop by on the way through and see this build. your craftmanship is second to none.

Rokcrln 01-10-2010 08:46 PM

Sounds good just let me know.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

butternut1972 01-19-2010 11:38 AM

How's the progress?

Rokcrln 01-20-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butternut1972 (Post 3742650)
How's the progress?

Good but not on this one!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/81...ion-build.html

Kevin
LFD Inc.

mcbassin 01-20-2010 01:10 AM

The Ford looks good! Man, You have a bunch on your plate! Crazy! you need a few more projects.:ito:

butternut1972 01-20-2010 12:02 PM

The 51 is one cool truck. I get tired just thinking about all you have going on.

Rokcrln 01-29-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 3744512)
The Ford looks good! Man, You have a bunch on your plate! Crazy! you need a few more projects.:ito:

No I have enough, we are thinking about getting ride of a few that have been sitting around for too long now and I don't have the money or time to finish. Tahoe any one;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by butternut1972 (Post 3745077)
The 51 is one cool truck. I get tired just thinking about all you have going on.

Thanks, yes it is a cool truck but has a long way to go before being as nice or as fun to drive as LowBuck. But power wise it plane out kicks AZZ with 450+ in that little truck.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

suville 02-02-2010 09:35 PM

MAN! I've spent most of the day readin thru this I cant say nuthin that aint been said, as a 40+ year car,truck,Harley builder bodyman painter You are one tough act to follow and I tip my weldin helmut to ya! I'm really watchin the rear door/hatch mod. Wess from Classic Heartbeat is working on the same mod and I first got the idea when I saw the first Astro van with this so I'm patiently awaiting the next episode of "The Tahoe" Very innovative not just this build but all the side track issues you chase down!

Rokcrln 02-03-2010 12:19 PM

Well the next episode will not be for a bit as I have 2 customer builds to get done as well as some friends to help out that have been waiting for awhile for some help on their rigs. But it just sits out their every day looking at me wanting to get done but still nothing happens, I just don't get it. I have everything now to get it up and running except the time so what is a guy to do? :waah:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

64shortc10 02-03-2010 07:21 PM

Kevin
If you get tired of lookin at it you can park it in my garage! When my trucks over at your place I'll need something to go out in the garage and look at while Mason's taking his naps! If you need any help or just someone to kick you in the @$$ and tell you to get back to work, let me know! Later
Tony from Norcal

Musclerodz 02-03-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 3777340)
Well the next episode will not be for a bit as I have 2 customer builds to get done as well as some friends to help out that have been waiting for awhile for some help on their rigs. But it just sits out their every day looking at me wanting to get done but still nothing happens, I just don't get it. I have everything now to get it up and running except the time so what is a guy to do? :waah:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

sleep is optional for car builders

Black Widow Customs 03-01-2010 02:26 AM

WOW.. unbelievable build you got going on here ...thousands of hours of fab and design well worth it when its sitting laid out ....Badasss

Rokcrln 05-03-2010 10:08 AM

Just something to think about, this project will be getting torn apart and all the store bought parts will be getting transplanted to 3 other projects to finish them up and then the Tahoe body with seats and maybe frame (with C4 DM will be sold AS IS if their is any interest;) I just have way to many projects going on to finish them all and right priority dictates this one will go.

The body needs the rear half doors finished or a gate worked into it, rear floor is ready to be welded in and the gaps filled. The drivers side tail light was cut out of hidden hinge access and I was going to smooth out the body and then us different tail lights of un-known origin. Then just regular body work and paint. Their is no rust in this body at all. The frame needs front and rear shock mounts fab'd and the rear C4 four link bars copied out of thicker material. The ones I made were for geometry mock up only and not street use. Once I get things figured out for sure I will post in the for sale section but until them feel free to PM me if seriously interested with cash and a trailer as I will make it a roller with casters so it can be moved and transported.

The motor and trans will be going into LowBuk along with the new wiring harness and computer. The AccuAir will go into my son's 51 F1 that is currently manual fill and dump with a Co2 tank and it will get the CC out of LowBuk since the 5.3L going into it is Drive by Wire and has CC built in. Also the 700R4 in LowBuk will get adapted to the 351W in the F1. Then all the C4 suspension will get pulled and used in a new LFD coupe project that we are starting with the help of a custom build tubular DM by my buddy PorterBuilt.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

kev2809 05-03-2010 10:19 AM

wow....i hope you can work things out to keep this one. way to cool to let go. good luck man

ps..you should have no problem selling the body if you have to ;)

Rokcrln 05-03-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev2809 (Post 3954807)
wow....i hope you can work things out to keep this one. way to cool to let go. good luck man

ps..you should have no problem selling the body if you have to ;)

It is not a matter of working things out or needing to sell it.
I have a lot of interests and finishing this one up from this point would be just like the rest I have done, the thinking part is over. With my personal projects it is never about the money but more the personal drive and interest and for me that is gone for this project. I have a new project in the works that has been occupying my thoughts every waking moment for some time now and I need to get it started. I also need to finish up other customer work that has been stacking up (Lemon Drop for one) and my shop is not big enough for everything.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

kev2809 05-03-2010 11:10 AM

i meant working things out as in making room to keep it...which is why i said if you "need" to sell it im sure you can.

so, any pics of the other project?