The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

rendus 08-08-2012 09:17 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

I swapped my tired 250 this spring for a gooder used 250 from a '66 Impala. I figure at $250 I can't go wrong. I never could get the Rochester BV that came with the motor to run right, even after rebuilding it. It would bog off idle when you hit the throttle and just seemed weak. I still had a Holley 1940 that came with my truck originally that was already rebuilt so I thought, what the heck!

I had to fabricate a wooden spacer for the carb since the the throttle linkage was hitting the intake. Long story short, I buttoned everything together this afternoon, set the timing, and the idle and off I went on a test drive. I drove it like I normally have to with the old motor and the old carb: lots of gas. Low and behold what's that sound I hear? Tires squealing! It's never done that! Runs like a raped ape, I was grinning all evening...

CRGRS 66 08-09-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rendus (Post 5529743)
I swapped my tired 250 this spring for a gooder used 250 from a '66 Impala. I figure at $250 I can't go wrong. I never could get the Rochester BV that came with the motor to run right, even after rebuilding it. It would bog off idle when you hit the throttle and just seemed weak. I still had a Holley 1940 that came with my truck originally that was already rebuilt so I thought, what the heck!

I had to fabricate a wooden spacer for the carb since the the throttle linkage was hitting the intake. Long story short, I buttoned everything together this afternoon, set the timing, and the idle and off I went on a test drive. I drove it like I normally have to with the old motor and the old carb: lots of gas. Low and behold what's that sound I hear? Tires squealing! It's never done that! Runs like a raped ape, I was grinning all evening...

Awesome!!!!!!

LT1 Burb 08-09-2012 11:45 PM

Loaded my frame on the trailer for the powder coaters and discovered why my winch quit working , a 2" high water mark in the motor. How come it was water proof on the bottom and not the top, grr.

Narxoleptic Customs 08-10-2012 12:07 AM

Ordered the CPP notch kit!! Got my guy working on 2" drop hangers for the back. And got my brake guy rebuilding the brakes on the 2.73 rear. Sept is gonna b a huge month!!
Posted via Mobile Device

61K10 08-10-2012 12:32 PM

LT1 Burb--how much to P-coat the frame in Oregon? I have a P-coater close to me but haven't talked to them. have a buddy that blast's but 2hrs away--just thinking---

AngryPirate 08-10-2012 12:36 PM

Started putting the 65 style e-brake set up on my 61. the rear cables were waaaaay too long. Bought a swaging tool so I could cut the cables to a working length and put the stops on the ends.

Now to figure out where to route the front cable from the lever to the intermediate cable so it doesn't rub on the frame.

progress!

markeb01 08-10-2012 05:18 PM

Finally completed a quality paint job on my new grille bar. Should be able to put everything back together tomorrow.

jbgroby 08-10-2012 08:15 PM

Stopped by the local autobody store and picked up some new shims for mounting the fenders. This weekend is shot but I hope to start gettinng the doors set and them the front fenders on next weekend.

LT1 Burb 08-10-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61K10 (Post 5532341)
LT1 Burb--how much to P-coat the frame in Oregon? I have a P-coater close to me but haven't talked to them. have a buddy that blast's but 2hrs away--just thinking---

I dropped it off today and he figured 350 with the sandblasting, I am going to load him up with stuff on monday though, inner fenders and rad support plus all the bed pieces and trailing arms, hopefully under 800 for all.

a37lesalle 08-11-2012 07:16 AM

I have been so busy, this was done last weekend. Finally got it started and dwell set. Had to set timing by ear but it was running. So I decided to take it around the block. I addmit it went 1/4 of the way on its own power....had to towed the rest of the way. Gotta get a timing light. Other things I found out...bleed clutch more and also the brakes. But when it ran on its own, damn sounded good and had a nice ride to it.

jbgroby 08-11-2012 07:31 AM

On my first real ride, I was more nervous than a virgin who married a Marine ;)

I listened to every little tick and sound the truck made expecting at any moment sumtin’ to blowup……

Stefan. 08-11-2012 03:20 PM

I painted my roof white

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...6463386133.jpg

66-PMD-GMC 08-11-2012 04:57 PM

Nothing.
It's 110+ outside in the shade...
Just looked at them through the window..

dantimdad 08-11-2012 08:48 PM

pulled the engine and removed everything except the exhaust manifolds. Degreased the bell housing and some other parts.

Will remove the manifolds tomorrow and degrease the block and start sanding it.

BTW, my Harbor Freight engine hoist worked perfectly. Best $100 I have spent in a long time.

Steven

64shortbox 08-12-2012 12:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Started test fitting & modifying a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan to fit my C-10.
Friday at work I cut & folded up some stainless sheet metal for the mounting brackets but they still need some more work. After going as far as I could with that I installed my A/C vents I pulled from a 64 Chrysler. I now need to find one more to replace the Vintage Air center vent. I ran the A/C and I got enough adjustment to get the A/C to blow in my face. It was 104 today and I was very pleased with the outcome.

dantimdad 08-12-2012 09:10 PM

Windshield out and second round of pressure washing and degreasing. The frame is still nasty though. I only found one little spot of rust on the window mount area... I expected much worse given the state of the rest of the truck.

Steven

markeb01 08-12-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64shortbox (Post 5534875)
Started test fitting & modifying a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan to fit my C-10.
Friday at work I cut & folded up some stainless sheet metal for the mounting brackets but they still need some more work. After going as far as I could with that I installed my A/C vents I pulled from a 64 Chrysler. I now need to find one more to replace the Vintage Air center vent. I ran the A/C and I got enough adjustment to get the A/C to blow in my face. It was 104 today and I was very pleased with the outcome.

Those certainly look much richer than the plastic aftermarket versions. Nice upgrade.

losthope 08-12-2012 11:51 PM

ran over a screw and had me a flat tire! luckily i was around the corner and drove it slowly home didnt have to get the spare out.....stuck a tire plug in it hopefully it does the trick.

LT1 Burb 08-13-2012 09:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Spent 6-7 hours breaking the front suspension apart and cleaned 15#'sof grime off of it, also took some parts to the storage locker, it was looking a little shady around the side.I also dropped the frame off on Friday, drop the rest of it today.

coulter 08-13-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64shortbox (Post 5534875)

i like that !!!! those vents are cool looking

padresag 08-13-2012 12:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
finally got to shift the body over. got all of the mounting holes fixed and other places that were attacked there are mounting plates under the frame where the gas tank goes. crap gets between those and the frame and that orangy-brown stuff does it's charm in there. replace those parts and the corresponding sections of the frame and paint
Attachment 970332

Attachment 970333

Attachment 970334

Attachment 970335

Attachment 970336
ron

padresag 08-13-2012 12:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
some more pics and put away for the night
ron

jrockbass 08-13-2012 05:46 PM

Drove it! Also, tired troubleshooting the front turn signals. Went ahead and ordered a new harness to see if that helps. I'm thinking I have a bad wire/connection coming from the firewall though. Multimeter shows good signal to the left side but no signal to the right.

tazattitude 08-13-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrockbass (Post 5537396)
Drove it! Also, tired troubleshooting the front turn signals. Went ahead and ordered a new harness to see if that helps. I'm thinking I have a bad wire/connection coming from the firewall though. Multimeter shows good signal to the left side but no signal to the right.

Check and make sure the pin did not push back in. I had that problem with one of my pins coming through from the inside through the firewall connector.

jrockbass 08-13-2012 06:28 PM

I think the firewall connector may be the actual problem. I ordered the other harness just because the sockets have loose connections. Using the multimeter, I get a signal with the ground and left turn sig. I get nothing with the ground and right turn sig (This is from the firewall connector) Rear signals work fine. Appreciate the info!