The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Started my first frame off - 72 SWB LS1, 6-spd manual (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=424609)

Richie209 02-26-2015 11:56 AM

Re: Started my first frame off - 72 SWB LS1, 6-spd manual

I notice your frames PC Im gonna have my PC also but the only thing that worries me is the ground straps. Did you have trouble getting the PC off of the frame for the strap? And what did you use to get it off?

THanks Rich..

trkfrk 02-28-2015 05:32 PM

I've had no grounding issues. I used an 80 grit flapper wheel in my die grinder to remove the PC. The same way you would remove paint from your frame. Good luck.

trkfrk 03-01-2015 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed the front light kit on my AAW harness this weekend and got most of the cab wired up.

trkfrk 03-01-2015 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic 2

trkfrk 03-02-2015 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic

knomadd 03-02-2015 11:18 AM

Coming along nicely. I like the AAW kits... It was easy to install for a rookie. I had never wired an entire vehicle before, but it was pretty simple. The hardest part was deciding where to run all the wires. It looks like you're doing a good job so far.

Richie209 03-02-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trkfrk (Post 7069915)
I've had no grounding issues. I used an 80 grit flapper wheel in my die grinder to remove the PC. The same way you would remove paint from your frame. Good luck.

Ok coo.. I'm gonna try that, thanks for answering my question and emailing me the template...

texasld 03-03-2015 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking good! the wiring is fun to me. I'm kookie, though. :)

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for all the question answering on the air filter set up. Using the truck brackets and intake I had to switch the tube around the other way, but I got it in! I may make it shorter but not fully decided yet.

Attachment 1372274

trkfrk 03-04-2015 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 7072639)
Coming along nicely. I like the AAW kits... It was easy to install for a rookie. I had never wired an entire vehicle before, but it was pretty simple. The hardest part was deciding where to run all the wires. It looks like you're doing a good job so far.

Thanks! I'm a big fan now.. I'm about 75% through the install with the AAW wiring and my Dakota VHX gauges. This is also my first complete rewire. I really like the extra lengths they give you to run to your ECM and aftermarket guages. It's almost like these two companies got together to make their two products wire up so easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie209 (Post 7072909)
Ok coo.. I'm gonna try that, thanks for answering my question and emailing me the template...

You're welcome... I'm glad to help. Don't hesitate to email me if you need anything else..
Quote:

Originally Posted by texasld (Post 7074699)
Looking good! the wiring is fun to me. I'm kookie, though. :)

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for all the question answering on the air filter set up. Using the truck brackets and intake I had to switch the tube around the other way, but I got it in! I may make it shorter but not fully decided yet.

Attachment 1372274

Your engine bay looks Sweet!!! I read through your build and it's coming along nice.

trkfrk 03-04-2015 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a close up picture of the VHX control box which I will be mounting in my glove box along with my ECM/fuses/relays. I will add another picture once I finish the install.

9teen69 03-04-2015 11:16 PM

Extremely bad$$! Keeps getting better man

derotoreut 03-04-2015 11:45 PM

You'll be happy with the VHX gauges. I'm curious, what are you planning to do with the two push buttons used for setup? The VHX with digital clock has 3-push buttons installed on the center gauge. When you go to the analog clock, you have wire in the setup buttons. I have the VHX gauges with digital clock on my 69, so I didn't have to wire up the setup buttons. My next gauges will be the same ones you are installing.

texasld 03-11-2015 10:17 PM

I know the VHX set comes with a water and oil sender. Do they also tie back into the LS ECU? Or is it Un needed?

notchbackgta 03-12-2015 09:22 AM

Oil sender is only for the gauge on all LS engines from what I can tell. I have a 4.8 from a 2000 Silverado and while it plugs into the harness, it does not send to the ECM, just the gauge. I believe water is serial data from the ECM to the dash in most vehicles.

boynton 03-12-2015 11:47 AM

If you look at my build, you will see what I did to get everything to work. I have two sensors for waste and oil. If you try to use the ls senders you will get inaccurate readings for your gauges abd if you use the vhx senders for your ecu then your ecu will read inaccurately. It is best to just run two sensors since it isn't that difficult

trkfrk 03-12-2015 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9teen69 (Post 7076604)
Extremely bad$$! Keeps getting better man

Thanks!:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 7076655)
You'll be happy with the VHX gauges. I'm curious, what are you planning to do with the two push buttons used for setup? The VHX with digital clock has 3-push buttons installed on the center gauge. When you go to the analog clock, you have wire in the setup buttons. I have the VHX gauges with digital clock on my 69, so I didn't have to wire up the setup buttons. My next gauges will be the same ones you are installing.

I'm really happy how easy the install is Going. The two buttons I'm thinking of mounting below the gauge cluster in my dash. I went ahead and ordered the fuel level sensor from Dakota so my reading would be correct.
Quote:

Originally Posted by texasld (Post 7086397)
I know the VHX set comes with a water and oil sender. Do they also tie back into the LS ECU? Or is it Un needed?

No they are separate. My engine only had water temp going to the ECM which I left alone. I added the VHX water temp sender to the passenger side cylinder head so the VHX system gets and independent reading. On the drivers side of the engine above the oil filter I drilled and tapped 1/8" NPT threads for the VHX oil sender.
Quote:

Originally Posted by boynton (Post 7087076)
If you look at my build, you will see what I did to get everything to work. I have two sensors for waste and oil. If you try to use the ls senders you will get inaccurate readings for your gauges abd if you use the vhx senders for your ecu then your ecu will read inaccurately. It is best to just run two sensors since it isn't that difficult

Agree^^^^. Didn't take much time at all to add them to my engine harness.

Justin@EntropyRad 03-12-2015 02:37 PM

ooh, fancy!

texasld 03-12-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trkfrk (Post 7087216)
Thanks!:metal:

I'm really happy how easy the install is Going. The two buttons I'm thinking of mounting them below the gauge cluster in my dash. I went ahead and ordered the fuel level sensor from Dokata so my reading would be correct.

No they are separate. My engine only had water temp going to the ECM which I left alone. I added the VHX water temp sender to the passenger side cylinder head so the VHX system gets and independent reading. On the drivers side of the engine above the oil filter I drilled and tapped 1/8" NPT threads for the VHX oil sender.

Agree^^^^. Didn't take much time at all to add them to my engine harness.

So' after reading this 18 times, I did a little google-ing the LS1 and the truck LM7 have different oil sensor locations. That piece you have pictured isn't the same on my block. It doesn't extend "up" llike yours does. it just runs between the bolt holes.

texasld 03-12-2015 03:03 PM

Thank you for all the help, guys!

NewType72 03-12-2015 03:49 PM

Wow this build is off the hook, I really need to sit down and read it all the way through. :metal:

trkfrk 03-16-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad (Post 7087328)
ooh, fancy!

Thanks....

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasld (Post 7087361)
So' after reading this 18 times, I did a little google-ing the LS1 and the truck LM7 have different oil sensor locations. That piece you have pictured isn't the same on my block. It doesn't extend "up" llike yours does. it just runs between the bolt holes.

I'm glad you figured it out. I am also learning as I go with these LS motors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewType72 (Post 7087446)
Wow this build is off the hook, I really need to sit down and read it all the way through. :metal:

Awesome compliment :metal::metal:thanks!

texasld 03-31-2015 10:43 AM

Ok, man! Hows the progress coming? Got your new bed parts yet?

trkfrk 04-01-2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasld (Post 7113796)
Ok, man! Hows the progress coming? Got your new bed parts yet?

Thanks for asking. Well, I finished up all of my chassis wiring minus the rear tail lights. Finished wiring up my gauges. I sent my front cross sill's out for PC and should be done early next week. My painter finished painting the front bed panel and rear cross sill. The next step is ordering my bed wood, stainless steel wear strips and bolt kit so I can start assembling the bed.

texasld 04-02-2015 03:44 PM

Good deal, just checking to make sure you werent dead! :)

trkfrk 04-02-2015 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasld (Post 7116855)
Good deal, just checking to make sure you werent dead! :)

Right..lol

Also redid my backyard for the wife before the 100 degree weather hits.