The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Project "Popeye" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=383265)

Flysocal 02-10-2016 01:37 PM

Re: Project "Popeye"

Really liking you build!

Looks like we have the same motor and headers. Any advice on steering column and linkage? Not there yet but word on the street is its a tight fit to make it work.

Coach529 02-19-2016 10:51 AM

Do you have any pictures or advice how you got your air lines into the cab?

LEEVON 09-13-2016 03:53 PM

Popeye is alive! Six years, two children, two states, three moves, one business start-up, and multiple other projects later...he certainly is a patient one. Lots of details left to finish, but Popeye we will be on his first trip cruising Ottawa, KS all weekend for the 2016 Ol' Marais River Run. We have been for a few trips around the block and I won't go for another one without seat belts. This is one of those vehicles that feels directly connected to the gas pedal...there is no delay between a light tap on the gas and a smoke show, and I have done zero tuning yet.

iowaboynca 09-13-2016 04:22 PM

:ennyd:

Yeah! Party time!!!

99 to Life 09-13-2016 07:07 PM

dang that must feel good. 6 years wow time flies. I got into building 6 years ago and subscribed to this site. I'v prolly followed you most the way! The truck sounds soooo good. Gives me high hopes for the carbed LS I'm doing. Hoping to fire up this or next weekend.

I go on ebay and find USA made seatbelts. Last ones I got were from the military. Get DOT rated ones. I'd highly rec 3 point belts.

Send us more video pahllleaaazzeeee

LEEVON 09-13-2016 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7711950)
dang that must feel good. 6 years wow time flies. I got into building 6 years ago and subscribed to this site. I'v prolly followed you most the way! The truck sounds soooo good. Gives me high hopes for the carbed LS I'm doing. Hoping to fire up this or next weekend.

I go on ebay and find USA made seatbelts. Last ones I got were from the military. Get DOT rated ones. I'd highly rec 3 point belts.

Send us more video pahllleaaazzeeee

I think you're three for builds on me in that time LOL! That video is open headers, but the cam has some sweet sound to it for sure. I did pony up for some very nice three point seat belts with GM buckles, just got to get them installed...cruising with the kids this weekend so that's on the list for tomorrow. // Leevon

99 to Life 09-13-2016 10:19 PM

well not quite done with 3rd build. I think I'm just as excited as you!! open headers sound great esp on video!!

I'm researching the whole alternator deal with LS's. I found this PART# 197-400
holley pigtail, going to call them tomorrow. Basically trying to find the easiest way to run the alt as a 1 wire. Do you happen to know what you did on yours?

get them belts in and cruise, take some more vids!

LEEVON 09-13-2016 10:26 PM

I'll have to ask the guy who did the wiring, I know he borrowed the pigtail from a salvage harness, and maybe wired a resistor in the circuit...

Zoomin 09-13-2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 7711771)
Popeye is alive! Six years, two children, two states, three moves, one business start-up, and multiple other projects later...he certainly is a patient one. Lots of details left to finish, but Popeye we will be on his first trip cruising Ottawa, KS all weekend for the 2016 Ol' Marais River Run. We have been for a few trips around the block and I won't go for another one without seat belts. This is one of those vehicles that feels directly connected to the gas pedal...there is no delay between a light tap on the gas and a smoke show, and I have done zero tuning yet.

1950 chevy walk around - YouTube

Knocked it out of the park!

oldman3 09-13-2016 11:17 PM

Sounds great, glad you have it up and running...Jim

STOCKISH 09-18-2016 10:12 PM

AMAZING man! Look forward to more pics!

LEEVON 09-19-2016 10:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks y'all. Trailered it up to the Ol' Marais River Run in Ottawa Kansas for the weekend with only about 3 miles on it. Put almost 70 on cruising around. Had a great time!

LEEVON 09-19-2016 10:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Couple more. Kids have grown a little since we started this project!

oldman3 09-19-2016 11:14 PM

Looks like great family enjoyment, can't beat that...Jim

mcbassin 09-20-2016 08:26 AM

Looking good Leevon!

99 to Life 09-20-2016 11:23 AM

wow, long time coming congrats. how's she treating you so far?

LEEVON 09-20-2016 11:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7718855)
wow, long time coming congrats. how's she treating you so far?

Overall awesome but she's got her bugs like any ground up build and I'm working through them. We were very thorough on the major systems so I'm not dealing with cooling issues, vibrations, leaks or anything like that. More like squeaks, rattles, clearances, etc. There are lots of little projects to finish and a couple of big ones.

I can't stand the carburetor. I had a Demon 650 for the project, it had problems during start-up so we tossed an Edelbrock on there for the weekend. It ran fine but I rebuilt the Demon yesterday and dialed it in...and quickly reached the conclusion that YEP it's still a freaking carburetor! This 5.3L has so much more potential. Yes, we could dyno tune, look at AF ratios, jet the carb and squeeze maximum performance out of it but I'm out. I did set the timing curve and MAP advance tables in the MSD box with my laptop which is pretty cool, but why be half in the stone age and half modern? The plan was always for this to be fuel injected, just with old school looks. Admittedly when I started they did not have affordable systems like FiTech so my plan and budget were limited but the EFI Gods have smiled on us all in the last year. So this morning, for under $1,000 total I ordered this. :metal:

99 to Life 09-20-2016 11:59 AM

thanks for the update. Well hopefully I have better luck with the carb and timing. I'v thought about the fitech option as well. So if it doesn't work out. That was going to be my number 2. move. keep us posted.

SCOTI 09-20-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 7718887)
Overall awesome but she's got her bugs like any ground up build and I'm working through them. We were very thorough on the major systems so I'm not dealing with cooling issues, vibrations, leaks or anything like that. More like squeaks, rattles, clearances, etc. There are lots of little projects to finish and a couple of big ones.

I can't stand the carburetor. I had a Demon 650 for the project, it had problems during start-up so we tossed an Edelbrock on there for the weekend. It ran fine but I rebuilt the Demon yesterday and dialed it in...and quickly reached the conclusion that YEP it's still a freaking carburetor! This 5.3L has so much more potential. Yes, we could dyno tune, look at AF ratios, jet the carb and squeeze maximum performance out of it but I'm out. I did set the timing curve and MAP advance tables in the MSD box with my laptop which is pretty cool, but why be half in the stone age and half modern? The plan was always for this to be fuel injected, just with old school looks. Admittedly when I started they did not have affordable systems like FiTech so my plan and budget were limited but the EFI Gods have smiled on us all in the last year. So this morning, for under $1,000 total I ordered this. :metal:

Good to see this one getting some miles. I've read mixed reports on the FITech set-up so looking forward to your opinion/experience.

LEEVON 09-20-2016 12:55 PM

What downsides are you hearing about? I avoided the fuel command center because of issues I have read about with that. I have not heard of anything with the unit itself yet.

oldman3 09-20-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 7718957)
What downsides are you hearing about? I avoided the fuel command center because of issues I have read about with that. I have not heard of anything with the unit itself yet.

I'm with you. The fuel command center has problems, but I understand, that has somewhat been better. I'm going to get the same set-up as you, hopefully within the next month for my pickup. Well be waiting for your review...Jim

SCOTI 09-20-2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 7718957)

Cold start consistency.
Throttle (accel/decel) 'flat-spots'.
Gauges on the FCC.

I haven't read much on the FCC other than the gauges. What am I missing there?

LEEVON 09-20-2016 03:34 PM

Heck that's still only 30% of my carb problems, screw it I'm diving in!

SCOTI 09-20-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 7719132)
Heck that's still only 30% of my carb problems, screw it I'm diving in!

I will be as well (on a buddy's ride) & he's also planning to run the FCC......

His combo is a bit more radical so I've warned him on what I've read but he's pushing forward. I hope it works for him (427sbc; AFR 235's, .600" hyd roller; port matched/blended Victor intake, 1 3/4 > 1 7/8 stepped headers, 3" Pypes exhaust).

bosco 09-20-2016 07:43 PM

Will be looking forward to reading your review on your EFI installation. I have been considering this swap if my carb set up does not work out.