The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533920)

pdxhall 12-31-2013 10:54 PM

Re: Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build...

Happy New Year, Don.

clemdaddy 01-01-2014 08:32 AM

We hope 2014 will be a great year for you and family.
Kim&Clem

TJ's Chevy 01-05-2014 01:06 PM

OKEY! It is a NEW YEAR so time for some NEW UPDATES!!!! Only....8 months to go!!!!!...er.....something like that!!!! ;):lol::mm::D:bann: JK!

Ta2Don 01-06-2014 11:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6444312)
Have a Happy Safe New Year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 6444436)
Happy New Year, Don.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6444843)
We hope 2014 will be a great year for you and family.
Kim&Clem

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6451524)
OKEY! It is a NEW YEAR so time for some NEW UPDATES!!!! Only....8 months to go!!!!!...er.....something like that!!!! ;):lol::mm::D:bann: JK!

Thanks everyone!!! …and TJ, thanks for the motivational kick:josh: :lol:

Not much to report other than this… on the coldest day of the year so far… 7 degrees at 7am, and a balmy 10 by 9am, I had the fun of getting my fingers greasy changing a CV axle out on the soon to be Daughter-in-law's Accord… Thanks to my bud,
Dillon… :metal:
I was able to use his shop, lift, and tools to do the job inside instead of in the lovely gravel drive at the house…
Good thing there was no procrastination for this job… popping the hubcap revealed 2 of the 4 lug nuts rolling around loose…

then when removing the axle shaft…

Ta2Don 01-08-2014 12:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Was too cold over my weekend, (avg of about 14 degrees F) to do anything in the unheated shed… so after a Sunday of putting a 1:24 scale vette together, and Monday working in heated shop on the honda in the previous post, just thought I'd share a couple of pics…
One from Grizz in London UK and another stolen from the internet...:mm:

TJ's Chevy 01-08-2014 07:38 PM

Like the second one! Tis true for me! LOL! Except, I still do model railroading. :lol:....and truck restoring!!!!!

Ta2Don 01-08-2014 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally spent a bit of time finalizing the idea and sketch for the custom emblem idea that has been floating in me brain...:lol:

Thanks to McMurphy and his custom emblems… I contacted his guy and have already fired off the email to get a quote...:uhmk:

Here's the sketch...

flips72 01-08-2014 10:13 PM

very nice, :metal:

likaroc13 01-08-2014 10:28 PM

I dig the sketch. Where you gonna place the emblems?

McMurphy 01-09-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6460402)
Finally spent a bit of time finalizing the idea and sketch for the custom emblem idea that has been floating in me brain...:lol:

Thanks to McMurphy and his custom emblems… I contacted his guy and have already fired off the email to get a quote...:uhmk:

Here's the sketch...

I was lucky enough to get a preview of this art last night when I popped in to see Jay at his house. Looks pretty cool man !!

He and I got to talking about what kind of shapes you would like for the lettering and such on this.
If you go back and look at my original art, you will see notations for what I am talking about for specific areas of my emblems. IE: the SS circle was a [hump] the Custom lettering was a [V] cut, and the Apache lettering was a [Channel] cut.
I had to agree with him on one major point, your unique flame graphic is going to be a heck of a challenge, but in the end is going to be the centerpiece/eye catcher of your emblems !!

Very nice !!

He also gave me sneak peaks of other requests he got from guys on this board, so :metal: ROCK ON you guys !!
Jay loves doing this sort of stuff (and I think figuring stuff out is half the fun for him too...but dont tell him I said that...)

Cannot wait to see what the two of you come up with on this !!!!

Ta2Don 01-10-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 6460550)
very nice, :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6460586)
I dig the sketch. Where you gonna place the emblems?

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6462219)
I was lucky enough to get a preview of this art last night when I popped in to see Jay at his house. Looks pretty cool man !!

He and I got to talking about what kind of shapes you would like for the lettering and such on this.
If you go back and look at my original art, you will see notations for what I am talking about for specific areas of my emblems. IE: the SS circle was a [hump] the Custom lettering was a [V] cut, and the Apache lettering was a [Channel] cut.
I had to agree with him on one major point, your unique flame graphic is going to be a heck of a challenge, but in the end is going to be the centerpiece/eye catcher of your emblems !!

Very nice !!

He also gave me sneak peaks of other requests he got from guys on this board, so :metal: ROCK ON you guys !!
Jay loves doing this sort of stuff (and I think figuring stuff out is half the fun for him too...but dont tell him I said that...)

Cannot wait to see what the two of you come up with on this !!!!

Thanks Guys!!! Aiming to place them where the originals were, but I am also considering the sides of the hood near the cowl extensions...:uhmk:
And after talking with Grizz, I may try to get his mate in South Africa to do a 3D print to place on the Glovebox… :mm:
:c2: idea from Grizz...:metal:

Ta2Don 01-10-2014 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot of the custom emblem cut out and placed on Glovebox...:metal:

McMurphy 01-10-2014 09:26 PM

Ohhhh Snap !!
In some fashion or other, I may have to steal the glovebox door idea !!

Ta2Don 01-10-2014 10:54 PM

Steal away Murph!!! Steal Away!!! :metal:

TJ's Chevy 01-11-2014 02:48 PM

AWW! Nice goin Don! Lovin it! I might steal the idea to! :-O lol! :metal:

Ta2Don 01-12-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6464543)
Steal away Murph!!! Steal Away!!! :metal:

You too TJ… Steal Away!!!:metal:

NEWFISHER 01-12-2014 02:08 PM

I like the sketch of the emblems. Need one in the lower corner of the tailgate too.

chad64chevy 01-12-2014 02:26 PM

wow don, I really like the sketch! hope everything works out and you can get them done! even if the sketch on the glovebox was airbrushed it would look awesome!!

Grizz1963 01-12-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 6467041)
wow don, I really like the sketch! hope everything works out and you can get them done! even if the sketch on the glovebox was airbrushed it would look awesome!!

Well within your scope of ability mate.

TJ's Chevy 01-12-2014 07:15 PM

I'm still drooling! lol! :chevy:

Ta2Don 01-13-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 6467008)
I like the sketch of the emblems. Need one in the lower corner of the tailgate too.

Great idea!:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 6467041)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 6467365)
Well within your scope of ability mate.

I'm now in the market for an Airbrush Set-Up...:uhmk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6467491)
I'm still drooling! lol! :chevy:

:haha:

Ta2Don 01-13-2014 12:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
What a week weather-wise… Monday we got up to a balmy 8F and Tuesday morning saw our low dip to 4F. Today topped out around 60F:cool::bann:

So it was time to get out in the shed and make a bit o' progress...:mm:
Back in mid October I mentioned in post #416 that I was planning on beginning the fabrication process for the Impala taillights...:uhmk:
Due to life and weather getting in the way, I got seriously sidetracked...:bang head:

…so today I decided to preform a bit of Metal Surgery...:metal:

I started by slicing a wedge out of some pipe I acquired back in October…

Then I removed a small section from the thin end of the wedge (insert RUSH tune here:metal:) and with a bit of help from my vise I bent the pipe into an oblong to mimic the shape of the Impala Taillight… Talked with Bomp to get some welding advice about another piece of my build… Thanks again Greg for taking the time to learn me something...:thumbs:
Then with the help of a scrap piece of this sheet metal, I mocked up the bottom of the bucket…

The last two pics are the mocked up bucket with the light bolted in...:clap:
This is only the mock-up, I will be picking up the correct size sheet metal in the morning along with getting my Argon mix refilled, then it will be time to make some sparks...:metal::metal::metal:

Grizz1963 01-13-2014 05:00 AM

Impala vs Cadillac ???

Today, right now, right here???

Impala for sure.

I love them on the cars, but because they are under utilized in modding, AFAIK, they will make a huge difference to the rear end because people will see something different.

Zane M 01-13-2014 07:41 AM

The tailights ae going to be off the hook.

bj383ss 01-13-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6468042)
Great idea!:metal:

I'm now in the market for an Airbrush Set-Up...:uhmk:

:haha:

Love the taillights. Those look like the 64 Impala? Also if you are in the market for an airbrush Hobby Lobby has quite a few and they run a 40% off coupon in their ad every 2 weeks or so.

Bret