The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

youngrodder 06-13-2017 10:40 PM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

4 Attachment(s)
The next item was to figure out the rear seat legs. If you recall I shortened the rear seat 3" to fit with my wider tubs and new seat location. The seat had (3) legs but it was easier to eliminate the center leg. I added a cross brace and shortened the legs to clear the notch. I think it turned out pretty decent. Once painted I don't believe many people will notice.

youngrodder 06-13-2017 10:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, also on the list is to figure out my 2 piece drive shaft. I had Porterbuilt build me a carrier bearing bracket. I ordered my fancy carrier bearing. All of the C10 guys swear by this bearing. I have the part number if anyone needs it. As soon as I confirm the height of the bracket I need PB will build me a final bracket.

And for good measure, attached is this late 30's Buick that my buddies at Dutchboy's hotrods are building. Most likely we will take this to Columbus GG show in July. I'm looking forward to riding around in this one.

I'm caught up for now. Doug your up..

Marc

mongocanfly 06-13-2017 11:08 PM

Sweet looking buick..would be fun cruisin round in that..please give the carrier p/n...I'm not sure if I'm going 1 piece or 2 but would be good to put in the info bank..
.was starting to get worried about you and Doug...yall have been quite for way to long

oldman3 06-13-2017 11:18 PM

Hey Marc, I knew Doug's story, glad your posting up some stuff and it looking good...Jim

Rods57 06-13-2017 11:52 PM

Thats a beefy looking carrier. tank mod is cool too....

lower50's 06-14-2017 01:41 AM

Looking Good Marc!! I will be at the Columbus GG show. Are you going? We should meet up!

youngrodder 06-14-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 7966884)
Sweet looking buick..would be fun cruisin round in that..please give the carrier p/n...I'm not sure if I'm going 1 piece or 2 but would be good to put in the info bank..
.was starting to get worried about you and Doug...yall have been quite for way to long

Oh there's reason to be worried about Doug and I. We lose focus easily. The part number is IE210527XS. You can pick it up from Summit for $141.97. The brand name is Inland Empire Driveline

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7966893)
Hey Marc, I knew Doug's story, glad your posting up some stuff and it looking good...Jim

thanks, like Doug it's just a busy time of year for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rods57 (Post 7966929)
Thats a beefy looking carrier. tank mod is cool too....

thanks man!!!

Marc

youngrodder 06-14-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7967001)
Looking Good Marc!! I will be at the Columbus GG show. Are you going? We should meet up!

Thanks. Yes we stay at the host hotel. Columbus is a blast. It really wrecks any other show you go to once you've been to Columbus.

Marc

99 to Life 06-14-2017 09:24 AM

luv that car. nice carrier. who makes it? is the company called "fancy"

youngrodder 06-14-2017 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7967143)
luv that car. nice carrier. who makes it? is the company called "fancy"

Thanks.. yes it is made by Inland Empire driveline and it also came with a fancy price tag but it sounds like this is the best carrier bearing when using a 2 piece drive shaft..

Marc

Advanced Design 06-17-2017 06:06 PM

Nice work on the lead joint Marc! Good idea with he carrier bearing and two piece prop shaft too. Now I am feeling the pressure...lol.

The Buick is impressive. Is that a stock grill rechromed?

youngrodder 06-20-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7969732)
Nice work on the lead joint Marc! Good idea with he carrier bearing and two piece prop shaft too. Now I am feeling the pressure...lol.

The Buick is impressive. Is that a stock grill rechromed?

Thanks Doug...yes the back story on the Buick is that is was build once by a local builder that is high on his abilities and needless to say it was a hacked up POS when he was done with it. The grill was one of the only things that Dutchboys was able to reuse from the first build.

Marc

GreasyLikeaBurger 06-24-2017 01:54 PM

curious on how you removed the lead filler? I will have to do my panels sometime. I assume grinding is going to get it airborne, which is not good to breathe. And I have seen people melt it out. What did you do on yours?

youngrodder 06-26-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreasyLikeaBurger (Post 7975341)
curious on how you removed the lead filler? I will have to do my panels sometime. I assume grinding is going to get it airborne, which is not good to breathe. And I have seen people melt it out. What did you do on yours?

Yes, I melted mine out with a small (yellow bottle) hand held touch. It was very easy and straightforward. A nice stiff metal brush helps as well once the lead is liquefied.

Thanks
Marc

youngrodder 10-09-2017 03:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well it has been a hell of a summer (not really). I had/have a health issues that caused me to spend a total of 20 days in the hospital at three different times throughout the summer. Needless to say when I was unable to do the most minor house related chores like mowing my own lawn, the Suburban was far from something that I could work on. As my health has (slowly) improved so has my drive to get back in the garage. My friend Paul that owns the Hotrod shop came over on Sunday to lend a hand. I still don't have the strength to do everything myself like I used to..

Updates
: I had a 2 piece driveshaft made. I have never messed with a 2 piece. The C-10 guys use them and since my Porterbuilt suspension uses a lot of the same components I followed suit. It turned out nice plus fully aired out I confirmed that I don't need to cut into my floor anymore. I was pretty happy about that. Check that off of the list.

We also installed Paul's LS mock up block to test fit the LS Hooker headers in relation to my steering linkage (fail). One text to Nate at Porterbuilt and it sounds like a 1" taller set of motor mounts will remedy the issue. That would be a better solution that what we were coming up with. I would like to avoid anymore cutting/grinding/welding.

Later this week Paul will be back out and we will tackle mounting my gas pedal and figuring out my hidden hitch that I have been working on. I picked up a new class 3 Reese hitch cheap that I think I can modify to fit.

Here are a few pics.

Marc

Scott2 10-09-2017 03:31 PM

Good to see you back at it although it's too bad you weren't doing well. Hopefully you're past it and just need to get back into shape!

I had minor back surgery and also got a full knee replacement over the summer and my time working is definitely much more limited until I also get fully recovered. The recovery and strength rebuilding will come in time, but getting old I can't do much about!

Great work on the burb - can't wait to see what's next! I also ordered a new driveshaft and a Derale trans cooler and will be installing those shortly.

Coach529 10-09-2017 03:47 PM

Awesome work as always.

Glad your health is coming back around and you are getting some shop time!!

youngrodder 10-09-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 8057197)
Good to see you back at it although it's too bad you weren't doing well. Hopefully you're past it and just need to get back into shape!

I had minor back surgery and also got a full knee replacement over the summer and my time working is definitely much more limited until I also get fully recovered. The recovery and strength rebuilding will come in time, but getting old I can't do much about!

Great work on the burb - can't wait to see what's next! I also ordered a new driveshaft and a Derale trans cooler and will be installing those shortly.

Thanks Scott, The crazy thing is I turned 45 this August and prior to this was never sick nor took any medication. I feel like this year took 5 - 7 years off my life...ha ha. I plan to sell my 48 truck this spring and that will free up some funds to really kick the Suburban into gear.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach529 (Post 8057206)
Awesome work as always.

Glad your health is coming back around and you are getting some shop time!!

Thanks Coach

Marc

mongocanfly 10-09-2017 07:00 PM

dang I hate to hear bout that...glad your gettin better...I've been missing updates from you and Doug and the battle of the burbs

oldman3 10-09-2017 07:12 PM

Marc, sorry to hear about the health issues, glad you're doing better. Have missed your updates on the burb...Jim

Advanced Design 10-09-2017 07:51 PM

Good to see you on the Burb Marc! Two piece shaft is a good idea for this application. And taller motor mounts sounds like a simple fix...good deal. Hope your healing / strengthening continues!

ChuckDriver 10-09-2017 08:02 PM

Glad to see you back at it!!

:uhmk:

youngrodder 10-09-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8057342)
dang I hate to hear bout that...glad your gettin better...I've been missing updates from you and Doug and the battle of the burbs

Thanks, I think Doug felt bad since I couldn't work on mine so he decided to not work on his as a show of good sportsmanship....ha ha
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8057346)
Marc, sorry to hear about the health issues, glad you're doing better. Have missed your updates on the burb...Jim

Thanks Jim...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8057382)
Good to see you on the Burb Marc! Two piece shaft is a good idea for this application. And taller motor mounts sounds like a simple fix...good deal. Hope your healing / strengthening continues!

Thanks Doug. Once I get these fitment issues resolved I can look at pulling the body to paint the frame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 8057391)
Glad to see you back at it!!

:uhmk:

Thanks Chuck

99 to Life 10-10-2017 12:04 AM

scary stuff. glad you are on the up and up. I'm sure you won't have any problems selling the 48'. be a nice boost for you indeed. looking forward to seeing this one complete. bless you on the road to recovery.

youngrodder 10-10-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8057651)
scary stuff. glad you are on the up and up. I'm sure you won't have any problems selling the 48'. be a nice boost for you indeed. looking forward to seeing this one complete. bless you on the road to recovery.

Thanks...I have wanted to push this Suburban forward for a while and the 48 truck sits more than I like considering it's a 2 seater and I have 2 kids and a wife. He math doesn't work. I would have no guilt throwing money at it then.

Marc

Dan in Pasadena 10-10-2017 11:44 AM

Marc,
I hadn't checked inoin this thread in a long time and missed the part where you said you'd been sick/hospitalized. SO sorry to hear about that. Your health is everything so take care of that first and always.

I can relate. I am 62 (but think I'm mentally stuck around 37-38) and had never been sick other than the flu. I had what turned out to be a gall bladder attack about a year ago. I thought I was dying of a heart attack. Ambulance, emergency surgery, yada, yada...It really opened my eyes.

Sorry to hear about selling the '48 - she is SO beautiful. But having the funds to do the new project will be exciting. Looking forward to what you do. Best, Dan

youngrodder 10-10-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8057894)
Marc,
I hadn't checked inoin this thread in a long time and missed the part where you said you'd been sick/hospitalized. SO sorry to hear about that. Your health is everything so take care of that first and always.

I can relate. I am 62 (but think I'm mentally stuck around 37-38) and had never been sick other than the flu. I had what turned out to be a gall bladder attack about a year ago. I thought I was dying of a heart attack. Ambulance, emergency surgery, yada, yada...It really opened my eyes.

Sorry to hear about selling the '48 - she is SO beautiful. But having the funds to do the new project will be exciting. Looking forward to what you do. Best, Dan

Thanks, Dan. I like the 48 it just doesn't get used enough and I really like building them and driving them. Plus the idea is to take some of the 48 money and throw it into the boys college funds. That makes more sense to me then having money tied up in a truck I seldom use...

Yes, a persons heath is everything and this ordeal has opened my eyes to that.

Marc

Root2812 10-10-2017 10:02 PM

Marc, I understand the whole selling the truck thing. I was just in the same boat. I just sold my 59 corvette because it sat 2 and we are a family of 3. The only time I used it was when I was by myself and there wasn't as much fun in that. I sold it for a pretty penny and paid off debts, put alot in savings, and even have some to help push my truck project along. I'm going bench seat so the truck will seat 3. As long as we don't have more kids I should be good to go. :) Best of luck to you on the sale and most importantly the health.

lower50's 10-11-2017 08:31 AM

Marc It's to bad you got sick. Glad to hear your on the mend, and getting back out in the shop. I'm only 5 years under you and scares me to think of what could happen over night. We all need to enjoy life while we can. Keep your spirit up Your sweet burb is on it's way. Bob

youngrodder 10-24-2017 07:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have been spending more time in the garage as of late. Here is what I have to show for it. I picked up a class 4 hitch for stupid cheap. It was too narrow so I was going to pass on it but then the guy said how about $20.00. For that price I figured that I could cut it up and make it work. I cut off the large mounting brackets and I bought some smaller square tube to slide into the hitch to make it the width I needed. More work needed to figure out my brackets. The end product would be close to how BEEP did his. The receiver will stick through the bumper and the received would hold the plate.

I also removed my radio delete plate (which I already sold on EBay) and welded shut the holes...

I removed the mock up block and in anticipation of receiving my 1" higher motor mounts from Porterbuilt.

That's all folks.....

Marc

youngrodder 10-24-2017 07:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More Pics....

Advanced Design 10-24-2017 09:26 PM

Awesome...good to see the progress!

G&R's57GMC 10-25-2017 03:08 PM

I just read through your thread , Looking Good ! :)

Sorry to hear about your summer of yuck . :(

BTW I liked your gas cap , so thanks for the link I just ordered one for my build ... If I ever get back to it .

youngrodder 10-26-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 8068285)
I just read through your thread , Looking Good ! :)

Sorry to hear about your summer of yuck . :(

BTW I liked your gas cap , so thanks for the link I just ordered one for my build ... If I ever get back to it .

Glad you enjoyed it....I am looking forward to more garage time as the weather gets colder. I need to pick up the pace with this build.

Yes, share and share a like. I might paint the cap once I decide on an interior/floor color.

Marc

youngrodder 10-26-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8067840)
Awesome...good to see the progress!

Thanks Doug...Have you messed with yours lately?

Marc

joedoh 10-27-2017 09:06 AM

now thats what I call a radio delete :lol:

looks great! thin sheetmetal is no joke

69CST-V 10-27-2017 10:20 AM

Nice progress.

Dan in Pasadena 10-27-2017 12:34 PM

Marc,
Just curious (nosy, ha ha) why did you weld shut the factory radio hole? I can see the holes for the knobs were goofed up but was the main opening screwed too? Will you replace with SecretAudio, a vintage style replacement or just go with a modern DIN style?

youngrodder 10-27-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8069551)
Marc,
Just curious (nosy, ha ha) why did you weld shut the factory radio hole? I can see the holes for the knobs were goofed up but was the main opening screwed too? Will you replace with SecretAudio, a vintage style replacement or just go with a modern DIN style?

Dan-

The radio opening was fine. The knob openings as you mentioned were messed up. I never cared for the look of the modern vintage looking knob stereo's plus I like the look of a smooth clean dash. I did something similar to my 48. Not sure on what route I will go with a radio but it will be hidden maybe behind the grill in the dash.

Marc

youngrodder 10-27-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69CST-V (Post 8069471)
Nice progress.

Thanks