The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1968 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=545446)

gdavis 06-04-2013 04:02 PM

Re: 1968

Yes that is the dent I was talking about. It only takes a few minutes and it is done. This way I know what is fixed or not. It rained again today so I did not get to finish sand blasting. And it looks like it is going to rain for the rest of the week. A small low depresion in the gulf of Mexico is bringing a lot of rain our way.
But, I did get a new booster gromit installed on the booster. My new window cranks and door handles came in. They have one on back order. Did I say I hate back order. Well I do. I did also paint the steel hoops for the grill black.
Orange grill and black hoops with black head lights benzels might give me a mean looking front. alone with the crow hood.

gdavis 06-04-2013 04:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was so glad to find the gromit that I had to post. LMC 7.95 pluss hpping. I found it in a local parts store 2.49 no shipping. Now I need to find a set of adjusting screw for a headlight.

Bomp 06-04-2013 09:55 PM

Those are some sweet looking handles.

Doesn't the parts store carry adjusting screws? Or out in the wrecking yard? I got some for my '69 Chevelle but that was 30+ years ago.

Your parts will look really nice when they all are installed.:metal:

gdavis 06-05-2013 05:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, today it rained all day again. So no sand blasting on the grill. So I started installing my headers. I had a brain Blank I guess. I thought studs would be great on the headers. Well they are not as you can see. Had to cut 1/2 inch off the perch to get the headers to fit. I don't think these headers were for a 67 thru 72 truck. If they were a person should not have to cut the perches like I did. Then it donged on me. Just remove the studs and they will fit. Stupid me. I still had to trim the frame rail. I knew that was going to happen.

Can you see 30.00 in studs here well there is.

gdavis 06-05-2013 05:39 PM

As you can see I had to cut the perch a little to make the headers go over the studs. so now I am replacing or welding the piece back on the perch. It is not so pretty after the header is installed so tomorrow I will fix the perch back up. and remove the studs and installed header bolts. Sometimes I do not make decision when I start working on a project. Need to stand back and think for a little.

gdavis 06-05-2013 10:12 PM

I took the V8 perch off the drivers side. Welded the pieces back on the perch. They fix like a puzzle. Tomorrow, I will grind the weld down and paint them and call it a day or done. Another mistake I can chalk up to my many. Don't use studs on a header.

gdavis 06-05-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6107772)
Those are some sweet looking handles.

Doesn't the parts store carry adjusting screws? Or out in the wrecking yard? I got some for my '69 Chevelle but that was 30+ years ago.

Your parts will look really nice when they all are installed.:metal:

Yea I think so to. I had to buy the handles the company almost gave them to me and no shipping.

I went to the local parts place and guy said that the computer did not show them. But I was looking at the screen and it said to look in the paper pages. Well, I guess he did not want to or doesn't know how. So he said all he had was a universal set. Well they did not fit and tomorrow I will take them back.
The screws will fit but the platic nuts is the problem.

gdavis 06-06-2013 10:57 AM

I am not going to install the headers on the pass side of the engine today. We are haveing our first storm of the year. Already had 3 to 4 inches of rain and it has not even got to us yet.
I will work on the perch, I welded up last night. At least I can do something beside setting around getting lazy.

gdavis 06-06-2013 08:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today I finshed welding the V8 perch I messed up. Now it looks like I never touched it. Also I re-installed the perch on the truck and now I am back to square one again. I installed the gas pedal and cut some plugs that will cover the holes where the 68 gas pedal was. Tomorrow I will weld them up. I hope that my gas tank will be here soon. I would love to run my lines from the fuel pump to the tank. Brian you savied me some money. Thanks on the perches.
I hope I can install the other header tomorrow.

mjensen 06-06-2013 10:45 PM

Great progress! It's looking very nice!

gdavis 06-07-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 6111463)
Great progress! It's looking very nice!

thanks a lot my friend

gdavis 06-07-2013 04:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today, I removed the front clip. Had to demple the frame for the power steering gear box. I also cut the frame rail on the pass side so the headers would fit without rubbing. I think I might raise the motor a 1/4 inch so the perch don't kit the headers. A longer bolt on the rubber mount will do the job. I installed the headers on both side with headers bolts. Took the studs back and bought the headers bolts. Fit like a glove. Tomorrow I will re install the front clip and be back on track. The main reason I pulled the front clip is to dimple the frame. Which I forgot to do a while back Thanks brian for reminding me. The headers look a lot cleaner with the right bolts.

gdavis 06-07-2013 04:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Headers installed

gdavis 06-08-2013 06:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, guys I finshed the sand blasting on the grill. It turned out real nice. I Got it all primed up today. Fixed the two spots that needed some love. Had to get two new lines for the transmission cooling to the radiator. Had to re-route the line. They were right in the middle of the dump pipe for the headers. Tried to re- bend what I had but I broke one, so off to the parts store. Got one installed and I figured I would call it a day. Don't like the way they look so I think I will get another one and use the 45% elbo this time on both of them. Not going to show how they look untill I get them the way I like. Don't want you guys to think I did not know what I an doing.
I hired a new helper today. All he wants is a lot of attention.

gdavis 06-09-2013 08:20 PM

Still no gas tank guys. Bad shipping seems to run all over the place. I will be raising my bed at least 4 1/2 inches. I seen it done in this months issue of Classic Trucks. I seen it up close also and I really like it. So stay tuned later down the build. Got a lot of other things that needs my money first. Like a column and wiring and a ton of other things.

How do you guys like my new helper. Dosen't get a lot but got to stay right with him. Or he will MESS up a lot.

gdavis 06-10-2013 07:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I got a PM from my gas tank guy. It was shipped out this morning I hope it was anyway. So I welded up the holes in the firewall where the 68 gas pedal was. Now I'm going to installed the 72 gas pedal. All I need is the measurements where the 72 gas pedal is to be installed. I wish I would have thought ahead. I would have done this when I was working on the firewall 5 months ago. But anyway it is done and it came out pretty good. I didn't spend a lot of time making the inside look as good as the outside. It will be covered with carpet anyway.

My adophed son's school project need to find them a home.

Evaded 06-11-2013 12:59 AM

Great build so far.. awesome work. You my friend have some skills. Looking forward to more! Can you post what paints you used in a can.. primers and paints.

Eric (Evaded)

gdavis 06-11-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evaded (Post 6117826)
Great build so far.. awesome work. You my friend have some skills. Looking forward to more! Can you post what paints you used in a can.. primers and paints.

Eric (Evaded)

This is the first frame off I have done. It is only a thing.

Low Elco 06-11-2013 10:12 AM

Looks great! If I had that helper, I'd get nothing done, I'm a huge sucker for babies. Cutie patootie! Truck's rollin' along!

gdavis 06-11-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6118155)
Looks great! If I had that helper, I'd get nothing done, I'm a huge sucker for babies. Cutie patootie! Truck's rollin' along!

Yea I have a hard time working when I know he is in the house. What a little man he is. thanks

gdavis 06-11-2013 08:20 PM

My gas tank guy gave me a PM this morning and what a guy. He refunded some of my shipping. It seems that it did not cost as much as he expected. wideside72 sells parts on the parts board. Guys he is a real stand up guy. I have sold and bought a number of parts from guys there. No problem at all. But a word to the wise be carefull when pictures are not posted only links. I'm not saying that all links are not real. Just be carefull. wideside72 it was refreshing to deal with a guy like him. We all could take lessons from him. God Bless

gdavis 06-12-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evaded (Post 6117826)

Eric (Evaded)

rustolem primer and gloss black

gdavis 06-12-2013 06:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Gas tank should be here the 14th of June. I am pulling the bed off the truck so I can get to the frame easier.

Painted the front grill today orange. I hope to paint the hoops and light benzels tomorrow.

Also installed the 72 gas pedal in the correct place.

gdavis 06-12-2013 06:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more pictures. I put the grill outside so the 90% weather will bake it dry. Boy was it hot here today.

Xeen 06-12-2013 09:49 PM

Nice job George, they both look great.

gdavis 06-13-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6120779)
Nice job George, they both look great.

Thanks Brian

gdavis 06-13-2013 09:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today, I painted the cowl again. Somehow it got scratched so I painted it again and now it looks real good. I also painted the grill hoops and the head light benzels. Before long I will have a orange truck. Going to call my Brother-In-Law tomorrow and set a time when he can come up from Ft. Myers. To fine tune the body work.

Xeen 06-13-2013 10:54 PM

That is going to look really sharp George.

Mustard72 06-13-2013 11:16 PM

Can't wait to see it all together! Get that brother-in-law of yours up there! That orange is pretty cool.

gdavis 06-14-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6122563)
Can't wait to see it all together! Get that brother-in-law of yours up there! That orange is pretty cool.

Yea I like the orange. As far as my Brother-In-Law I will haveto wait untill tonight he is working during the day. But we will see.

chevy88 06-14-2013 01:16 PM

Been watching this build for awhile, great job, nice progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

gdavis 06-14-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy88 (Post 6123254)
Been watching this build for awhile, great job, nice progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks guy. Painted more color today.

gdavis 06-14-2013 06:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just can't stand to be idle, it is to bad that my gas tank is some where but here. Now it liiok like the 17th. I did paint the tailgate today. omorrow I am planning on installing a longet bolt on the rubber motor mounts. I am afraid of the distance between the header and the perch. only about 1/2 inches. Then I will add some washers or a spacer on each side to bring up the motor. Just a little insurance if the mounts give any.

Bomp 06-15-2013 12:49 AM

Gate looks really good.
You've whirled that paint gun enough you ought to paint the whole truck yourself.
Great job:metal:

gdavis 06-15-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6124216)
Gate looks really good.
You've whirled that paint gun enough you ought to paint the whole truck yourself.
Great job:metal:

I am going to paint my own truck. If I can paint and repair 18,000.00 harley Davidson I sure can paint this 100.00 truck. This truck is like a hardley Davidson. The HD in Harley Davidson means H= hundred D= dollars You can't do anything on a harley that it don't cost you a 100.00 and this truck seems like the same thing. But on the lighter note thanks for the vote of confidence. I had to quit riding the harley because of my back. I need 4 wheels rather than 2 in my old age.

gdavis 06-15-2013 02:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
also painted items in my inventory. and my new grandson

Mustard72 06-15-2013 10:45 PM

Grandson doesn't look painted to me. :lol:

Did you do a search on the gas tank thing? With the scores of folks that have done this same type of thing, I'd think that info would be out there somewhere.

gdavis 06-16-2013 04:30 PM

No I have not done a serch on the sending unit. But thanks I will try that.Someone said that both o-rings go on. Still looking maybe someone has done it here

cubber 06-16-2013 05:03 PM

Hey, George! Paint work looks good. I should have asked you to paint that tailgate! Haha. When I put my new gas tank in, it only had the o-ring with the little tab on it, but my tank was the metal one. What company sells that tank? Also, what did you decide to do about a power steering pump?

gdavis 06-17-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 6126412)
Hey, George! Paint work looks good. I should have asked you to paint that tailgate! Haha. When I put my new gas tank in, it only had the o-ring with the little tab on it, but my tank was the metal one. What company sells that tank? Also, what did you decide to do about a power steering pump?

I am still looking for a pump with the pulley. As far as the o-ring still haven't found the instrutions for installing the sending unit.
I don't know who sold the tank. I bought it from a guy that changed his mind. About using it I guess.