The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Working Man's Burbon (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=698377)

HO455 10-26-2022 02:20 PM

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach-Burban (Post 9136251)
Outstanding look!!! The colors go really nice together...and you got that fold-down armrest with cupholders that you so desired!

Woody

Thank you sir! Compared to yours it's pretty basic.

HO455 10-26-2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9136491)
Looks real good.

Thank you!

HO455 10-26-2022 03:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 9137646)
Fold flat rear seat ... Early on in this thread someone mentioned when they installed the fold flat seat they had to move the front seat all the way forward for the rear to fold flat. Now you mentioned you were over 6ft, has this been the way it works for you having to move the drivers seat all the way forward to get the rear to fold flat? Or is your way of mounting the rear seat different than the other fella did his? Having the drivers moved all the way forward would be a no go for me and you're taller than I am.

I don't believe the other truck (I think it was AverageJoe's) had the factory bench seat it in. I ran into the same problem when I tried to use 2013 GMC buckets in mine. I couldn't lay the rear seats down flat without the front seat being completely forward and forcing the lower cushion to compress (2nd photo). I didn't think I could have driven the truck with it that way. The factory bench seat lets me have the front seat all the way back and still lets the rear set fold flat. (1st photo)

CG 10-27-2022 10:53 AM

Ok thanks for the clarification ... Glad to hear this is how it works out.

HO455 10-31-2022 05:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some progress photos on the rear seats. Man I will say any savings GM saw when they went from a wood floor to a sheetmetal floor was more than eaten up by the 2nd row seats. There must be a hundred parts to them.

One really pleasant surprise has been how close the green upholstery and the powder coated seat backs match. I didn't have a sample of the new upholstery when I took the backs into be powder coated, so I just tried to match the old upholstery. I most certainly got lucky with that guess.

CG 11-07-2022 11:02 PM

Seats seats seats seats ... Lets see some more seats seats seats =)

HO455 11-09-2022 03:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay! Okay, I'm sorry! I've had some fastener issues to sort out.

The second row bottom seats had some rust on their frames which ruined some of the bolts. Fortunately although the threads in the frames were salvageable, five of the bolts were too rusted to use (Photo #1) and I did have 2 bolts that I twisted in two despite my best efforts. Being blind fasteners I had no way to get any heat on the nuts, even pentrating oil was almost impossible to get on the threads.

Anyway not only did I need some bolts, I also needed some of the flanged spacers that GM used to prevent the bolts from being threaded in to far and distorting the backs. Most spacers were deformed from the bolts being over torqued (Probably with a mis-adjusted air ratchet.) Some of them were less than half as long as they should have been.

My searches for another squarebody Burban at the u-pull-it yards didn't pay off. But I found some spacers that are used in cheap particleboard furniture that were almost perfect. I only had to drill the hole out. (See photo #2 the arrow shows a factory spacer with minor deforming, next to one of the furniture spacers.)

Next was to make the new bolt heads match the original bolt heads (It's an OCD thing you may not have to worry about. :lol:) I chucked the replacement bolts up on the lathe and made a smooth, slight dome on the top of the bolt head. (Photo #3)

Once all of that was done I just needed a day when it wasn't raining. Which was yesterday!:ennyd:

I still need to remove the seat bottoms on both of the lower seats so I can loosen the bolts that hold them to the mounts. Hopefully then I can line them up better. Worst case I will have to take a grinder and slot the mounting holes. But I was happy with how they fit before so I'm guessing it is a tolerance stacking problem.

The only disappointing thing was the 503 green paint I got to paint the seat back latches isn't 503 but Detroit Diesel engine green. UHGG! You can kinda see it in the back of the last photo. Expensive paint that sprayed out really nice. Anyone putting a 471 in their truck need some paint?

And for CG's information the front seat is all the way back in the last photo.

Now I have the whole seat belt dilemma to get figured out.

Beach-Burban 11-09-2022 03:42 PM

Wow...that's a slick looking install! I totally get the "matching bolt head" thing...you did a great job with that as well!

Woody

CG 11-09-2022 05:20 PM

Today I'm 100 percent convinced I want to do the rear seat like yours now. I love it, and your upholstery looks awesome.

Course now I have to source a seat haha. I hate going to wrecking yards anymore, no Im not turning in my man card, just one of those things I did all the dang time when I was younger ... Over it haha.

HO455 11-11-2022 10:50 AM

Thanks everyone. It makes the 2 year wait worth it. I was just my luck to drop them off right before Covid took over.

pjmoreland 01-31-2023 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9114914)
Man, Big Brother is watching me! I swear I just barely posted that.

I looked at putting it under the dash thinking it would be slick and easy but, there just wasn't room without moving the whole cable towards the transmission. I decided that was going to be more work than running the wire to the transmission.

Then the whole adapter saga started with only half of it showing up and the other half back ordered.

It's so hard to feel like one is making progress these days.

I wanted to let you know that I found a bug in my TCC controller Arduino code that was messing up the speed reading. This is most likely why it wasn't working for you. I will send you a PM with a link for downloading the corrected version of code. Sorry about that!!

'68OrangeSunshine 02-01-2023 04:26 AM

I like your seats. I had a set of Squarebody backseats ready for my '67 K/10 Suburban, but the rear floorpan was not deep enough for the seat back. Then that truck got totalled.

HO455 02-03-2023 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9173811)
I like your seats. I had a set of Squarebody backseats ready for my '67 K/10 Suburban, but the rear floorpan was not deep enough for the seat back. Then that truck got totalled.

Oh! How depressing! I always hate to hear that kind of news.
On the upside thank you for the kind words about the seats.

'68OrangeSunshine 02-03-2023 04:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9174637)
Oh! How depressing! I always hate to hear that kind of news.
On the upside thank you for the kind words about the seats.

White Fang is still here. Now it's sort of a retirement project.
It was ''totalled'' on paper by Farmers after an engine bay fire. Body is fine.
With gas getting so high, I wasn't inclined to rebuild a BBC.
My Sub now has a Salvage Title which would require a complete overhaul.
With running trucks -- '68 C/10 Stepside and '71 GMC Jimmy -- I don't need a 3rd truck, especially with gas, insurance and maintenance.
:waah:
Set up was: 454/TH350/NP205/12 Bolt 3.73 w/Auburn Posi.

The rear end was cannibalized into the Jimmy 12 years ago. The Stepside has the '67's horn button, hood letters ''E'', Voltage Regulator, and the hood latch, plus some odd signal lens screws.

I have a 292 L6 core, an SM465/T221 core, a thrashed 1971 12 Bolt 3.73 Eaton Posi diff, and a partial Dana 44 front axle. Truck was originally rigged as 283/SM420/T221-?/12-Bolt open 3.73 -- I think. PO progressively up-gunned the motors... 283, 350, 454. And went automatic.

:chevy:

Average Joe 02-04-2023 12:04 AM

Holy frijoles Batman! Your seats look incredible! Beautiful install as well!

To clarify more on my seat combo, I have 2004 Silverado seats in the front with the ‘86 rear. With this setup I’m a lil more forward with the rear seat folded flat. Having a 30” inseam it’s totally doable. Anyone taller may feel a bit cramped. YMMV :)

HO455 02-05-2023 09:24 PM

Thanks Joe. They are comfortable too!:mm:
And as always I appreciate the kind words.

Not much else to report on, I put new front tires on 2 weeks ago and I've been driving around town searching for new fabric to replace the current fabric on the door panels, which should be the next project once the weather gets drier.

The WMB is currently dirtier than it's ever been since I started driving it. It's either raining or freezing out. And just to complicate thngs I had Covid last month and my mother's apartment was flooded when the pipes in the ceiling froze and we had to move her into my sister's house and since have been working to dry her belongings out locate a new place for her to live.

The odometer now shows 40k miles since I got the truck.
Oh and I installed a clock in the WMB. My dad had a similar one in his K20 back in the day.

And thank you to everyone who comes here and looks around. I'm finding it hard wrap my mind around the fact there has been 160,000 visits here.

HO455 02-06-2023 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The new clock!

LockDoc 02-06-2023 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9175637)
The new clock!

... :).. Well, at least it is easy to read.

LockDoc

'68OrangeSunshine 02-07-2023 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9175637)
The new clock!

Classic clean look. Reflection of a simpler, more elegant era.

3757chevy 02-07-2023 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9175676)

LockDoc

DUH! but it's not digital.;)

LockDoc 02-07-2023 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9176200)
DUH! but it's not digital.;)

And it doesn't have military time readout on it... :)

LockDoc

'68OrangeSunshine 02-08-2023 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9176222)
And it doesn't have military time readout on it... :)

LockDoc

Whaddya mean it doesn't?
It clearly indicates 14:29.
If it were 02:29 it would be dark,
and you'd only see the lumimous hands.

3757chevy 02-08-2023 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9176318)
Whaddya mean it doesn't?
and you'd only see the lumimous hands.

Good point. or... is it a luminous face?

3757chevy 02-08-2023 09:38 PM

Any way, The seats look great. :)

HO455 02-10-2023 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9175676)

LockDoc

And the installation went as planned with no additional can of worms to sort through. :lol:

HO455 02-10-2023 04:20 PM

[QUOTE='68OrangeSunshine;9176318]
Whaddya mean it doesn't?
and you'd only see the lumimous hands.[/QUOTE

Having spent most of my adult life working in the marine industry my brain is hard wired to the 24 clock. So for me what 68OrangeSunshine says is what I see . Correct with the exception of the luminous dial. I have to turn the dome light on sometimes.

HO455 02-10-2023 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9176550)
Any way, The seats look great. :)

Thank you, sir. Kind words like that make it worth the all the work.

'68OrangeSunshine 02-11-2023 04:09 AM

[quote=HO455;9177262]
Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9176318)
Whaddya mean it doesn't?
and you'd only see the lumimous hands.[/QUOTE

Having spent most of my adult life working in the marine industry my brain is hard wired to the 24 clock. So for me what 68OrangeSunshine says is what I see . Correct with the exception of the luminous dial. I have to turn the dome light on sometimes.

I needed a 4th couplet to my Burma Shave quatrain.
The image of luminous hands was poetic license.

CG 02-11-2023 11:50 AM

I think the watch is a neat period addition. I think if I ever actually get a truck on the road again Im gonna get one, but its going to be a Timex ... Keeps a licking and keeps on ticking.

And like the metric system, military time seems just out of my pea brain.

'68OrangeSunshine 02-11-2023 06:23 PM

I don't think a watch would stay in that position very long the way I drive and use the sun visors.
In Arizona we have an active and agressive Sun.
I often use the sunvisors against the glare of direct sun at or around Sunrise or Sunset.
Even in winter.
I pull it straight down if heading E/W into the sunlight or flip it 90* paralleling the window, N/S.
Southbound, going Downtown in the morning -- breaking dawn in my eyes -- and Northbound, against the setting Sun in the late afternoon.

A watch on a twist-o-flex type band might get flung off, and possibly fly out the window.

CG 02-11-2023 10:20 PM

Not an issue for us natives of the PNW haha!

'68OrangeSunshine 02-11-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 9177630)
Not an issue for us natives of the PNW haha!

I reckon not. Do Wiper motors wear out there? Here the wiper blades get brittle and break every year, just before the mid-summer monsoons.

HO455 02-13-2023 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9177641)
I reckon not. Do Wiper motors wear out there? Here the wiper blades get brittle and break every year, just before the mid-summer monsoons.

Yes they do! I've also had to replace the wiper arm posts on vehicles due to excessive slop in the bushings.

And on a different subject what is this thing "AC" everyone is always carrying on about?

CG 02-18-2023 11:18 AM

Hmm, I believe this months truck of the month is green .. know anyone with driving something green? =)

'68OrangeSunshine 02-18-2023 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9178040)
And on a different subject what is this thing "AC" everyone is always carrying on about?

AC? I think it's a company that used to make spark plugs in the USA. They don't anymore. Now I use Denso [which ARE USA-made, but a Japanese company]
Or did you mean A/C [air conditioning]? I don't have it. Not equipped on my '68 Stepside, which must've been a fleet truck. All manual, no frills.
My '71 Jimmy was a Deluxe trim model: chrome-ringed windshield, chrome bumpers, chromed shift sticks, vinyl side panels in back, carpet, full gauge dash, and A/C [which was INOP when I bought it.] I took all the A/C parts off when I first got the Truck, and since have lost the bucket they were in.
So it would cost a bunch to reinstall Air. A friend who has a Blazer himself, tells me in this climate, you won't feel the cold much even at full blast, the Blazer cabin being too big for factory air to be effective. Maybe it was more effective with R13, IDK.
Around here A/C is for sissies. I don't like the HP loss.
I used to have a bumper sticker -- THANK GOD FOR THE HEAT/ OR THE SNOWBIRDS WOULD BE HERE ALL YEAR LONG
But after 2 decades of solar exposure, it's burned off.

HO455 02-24-2023 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HOT SUBURBAN SIGHTING!
Hot enough to melt snow and ice!

LockDoc 02-25-2023 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9181465)
HOT SUBURBAN SIGHTING!
Hot enough to melt snow and ice!

What did you do catch it on fire? That's a big area compared to the other vehicles.... :)

LockDoc

HO455 02-25-2023 10:25 PM

Okay you caught me. The real story is after it stopped snowing the wind started blowing. It blew a steady 10 -12 mph with gusts to 22. And due to a strange combination of wind direction, topography and the office building, the wind scowered that area of 7 inches of snow in about 6 hours.

The funny part is that is where I park at work. The local joke was I had made Mother Nature happy and she was returning the favor.

LockDoc 02-26-2023 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9181863)
Okay you caught me. The real story is after it stopped snowing the wind started blowing. It blew a steady 10 -12 mph with gusts to 22. And due to a strange combination of wind direction, topography and the office building, the wind scowered that area of 7 inches of snow in about 6 hours.

The funny part is that is where I park at work. The local joke was I had made Mother Nature happy and she was returning the favor.

:)... Now wait a minute. It always works just the opposite for me. I must be doing something wrong... :lol:

LockDoc

CG 02-26-2023 01:50 PM

When you're hot you're hot ...