The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

mud.man.rj 09-02-2012 12:31 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

What did you paint it with, some kind of primer or epoxy sealer. Looks better without the big front bumper too.

ABX131 09-02-2012 12:50 AM

Painted with Rustoleum Colonial Satin Red and Semi Gloss White..nothing fancy and it will fade out to look old in a very short time in the sun.

dantimdad 09-02-2012 01:09 AM

pulled the rearend, track bar and trailing arms. Tomorrow, I start wire wheeling everything and painting the frame. Hopefully, Monday, I start reassembly.

Steven

Ta2Don 09-02-2012 06:51 PM

Nothing to the 65 but had to replace wheel seals and pinion seal on my 90 model DD...

dantimdad 09-02-2012 07:02 PM

Cleaned up a bunch of the rear suspension parts, engine mounts and track arm and got them ready to paint.

The trailing arms, coils and a couple other parts are going to the blaster. I just can't get them clean enough. Besides, my bushings didn't come in so I can't reassemble until next weekend anyway.

Steven

vin63 09-02-2012 07:43 PM

...mounted the evaporator unit under the dash...getting closer handing it off to the body guy for prep and paint.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Up/Evap1.jpg

62 Barnfind 09-02-2012 08:26 PM

Painted the front end and welded in the angle strips.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/DSC00327.jpg

Chevy Fleetside 09-02-2012 09:13 PM

I was doing some of the wiring again today. I was all ready to cut the Ign switch plug from the new harness so I could slice and solder an original plug on when I notice I could just switch plugs by removing the clips and slip them on to the original plug. Then I hooked up the battery and blasted the stero. It was nice to have it going under it's own power. I tried to put it full blast but the fuse blew right before I got to full blast. I guess the two 250 watt amps were too much for the 10 amp fuse. :lol: Then I hit the key and the started engaged and turn the engine for a minut sec. I had a smile on my face. I hope to get everything done tomorrow and maybe see if it fires with starting fluid.

Volvo_Matt 09-02-2012 11:06 PM

I looked at it and wished I had some extra $$ and time to spend on it.:smoke:

vintagetin 09-02-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 5559428)
Well, I altered both my all-original truck and suburban from stock. I can no longer say either is 100% factory correct. I added a middle set of seat belts for the little fella. He can now ride with us legally, as opposed to how we all used to ride with our folks. I still think his generation is missing out big-time by not getting to stretch out across mom and dads lap while driving home late after a visit with the grandparents.

But he's not missing out too much because he's getting to ride in Daddy's old truck. How many kids get to that? None. When I was a little kid in the early 90's My dad had a beat up early 70's Dodge Dart. I remember wearing the lap belt in the passenger side of the bench seat while listening to boston on the AM/FM cassette deck. Dad would always stretch out his arm and hold me back when he had to brake hard.

doobiebro 09-03-2012 02:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally bought my steering wheel to match up with the hotrod steering column I installed a while back....:hot:

mud.man.rj 09-03-2012 02:27 AM

Interesting steering wheel, kind of a takeoff of the old original style...but way nicer.

LT1 Burb 09-03-2012 10:29 AM

I tried to break one of my rear ends down and was curious as why it was so black when I took the cover off. I removed the bolt and spent an hour trying to drive the pin out, it was destroyed where it had wallowed out, the gears were junk and there was metal everywhere. I wonder if previous owner had any ideal. I ended up giving up and throwing it into the back of the longbed with the rest of the scrap. Broke my other one down and ready for power washing and paint, ordered a rebuild kit and hope to have it under the frame in a week or two.

Chvyman1975 09-03-2012 01:51 PM

Im sitting here looking at it for a while because I need to put the windshield in it but too scared that its gonna break...

dantimdad 09-03-2012 05:32 PM

Rear bumper brackets off, exhaust hangers cut off finally got the top bolts to the coils off (broke both of them). Now, the rear frame is bare except for the cross member the PO added for the hitch.

Took the t5 to the car wash and got it 75% clean. BTW, the crossmember wasn't even attached to the frame. It literally fell to the floor when I pulled the transmission!

All-in-all, a good day with my son working on the truck.

Steven

CRGRS 66 09-03-2012 06:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cleaned it inside and out, took it for a drive (the best part). Chopped a cord of wood in 95F heat (good to have a helper even though all she does is listen to me cuss)... had a shower... went for another drive, little slice of heaven, nice hot afternoon, tunes cranked, ahhhhhhh:b69: oh, and look at that! it is time for an Ale, perfect:metal:

LT1 Burb 09-03-2012 06:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Added to my scrap load and pressure washed and started to paint my rear end.

fink64 09-03-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chvyman1975 (Post 5572402)
Im sitting here looking at it for a while because I need to put the windshield in it but too scared that its gonna break...

some things are better left to the professionals I learned the hard way with my windshield. not lol

Chevy Fleetside 09-03-2012 08:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I hooked up more acc but couldn't figure out where the oil pressure switch went. I put oil in the engine and tried to fire it for a sec but not spark. I did figure out where the oil pressure switch goes though. :lol: And the 2nd picture.. Well it dosent get any better then a good old fashioned bottle of coke while working on the classic Chevy Truck...

LDO 09-03-2012 09:38 PM

Nothing to the 66 but cleaned up the TH350 on my wife's 57. New seals and a fresh coat of paint. She was happy...;)

towersddg9 09-03-2012 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bout got my Dakota Digital VHX done, this thing is sweet has all the goodies of a new vehicle, very thin cat 5 cable to control box, has high speed and rpm recall, hour meter, can alternate speed and temp on LCD display, has a sending unit and wire vs. a spedo cable, I decided to add the GPS to it, sorry bout the glare in the IPhone photo, think I need some contrast in the instrument bezel, but not till I get this thing rolling.....

1enick72 09-03-2012 10:53 PM

Removed old ECM and started making room for the new PCM. The old one was much smaller and easy to find a spot for. Engine bay is primed painted and ready for the LT1, hope to be going in by the end of the week.

oem4me 09-03-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside (Post 5573081)
And the 2nd picture.. Well it dosent get any better then a good old fashioned bottle of coke while working on the classic Chevy Truck...

Hey, I remember that face from the "why we do what we do" thread ...and Like mine, he's growin" up on ya.

LostMy65 09-04-2012 12:37 AM

I agree,
It looks like it belongs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glos55 (Post 5556291)
Played around with some door art. It's going to be a vinyl magnetic decal

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5558134)
That really does look perfect on your truck.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8589/imag1300g.jpg

dean jendro 09-04-2012 08:38 AM

Picture perfect weather for the long weekend. Logged about 1000 miles of drives. Turn signal mechanism broke but I swapped it out for a spare I had and was back on the road in an hour.