The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533920)

Jeff La 01-13-2014 11:56 AM

Re: Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build...

Nice artwork and liking them taillights, hanging around to see the finished products.

Ta2Don 01-14-2014 12:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the comments Guyz!!! :mm:

Today I picked up the needed sheet metal to complete the buckets… I also upgraded to a larger Argon/CO2 bottle...:metal:
Once I welded up the buckets, I also welded up one of the inner fender patches I had previously tacked together… I had some rather large gaps on the passenger side inner fender patch, which prompted my call to Bomp… Using his advice I now find myself in the weld, grind, repeat process on said patch...:uhmk: I must admit though, in my haste to get the taillight buckets welded, I forgot one of his bits of advice… to put a bit of practice time in before beginning the actual welding...:dohh:
Although the buckets will never be seen… I've got some serious grinding to do on my birds*&t welds...:lol:
There are still a couple of areas on the inner fender patch that needs attention… the weather started turning cold with the sunset, so it was in for dinner and some warmth...:waah:
Here are some pics of today's progress…

realvc 01-14-2014 12:37 PM

The Impala tail lights are really cool. Can't wait to see them installed.

1Bad62Pro/Street 01-14-2014 12:42 PM

:metal:

[:chevy:]====[:chevy:]

TJ's Chevy 01-14-2014 02:53 PM

Lights look sweet! :metal:

markeb01 01-14-2014 05:18 PM

Love those tail lights. Looking forward to see how you mount them on your truck.

dwcardfan 01-14-2014 06:03 PM

Those are going to be sweet.

da_bears_da1 01-14-2014 06:11 PM

Taillights are a great idea and will look sharp. Glad to hear the sparks are flying!:devil:

Ta2Don 01-14-2014 11:29 PM

Thanks Guys!!!:mm:

Gotta arrange for my bud to bring his Plasma Cutter over to cut the fenders… Then I will post some pics of the installed taillights…;)

Ta2Don 01-17-2014 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kind of an indirect update today...
Travelling Merchant in town this weekend... Picked up some step drill bits and loads of Roloc Grinding discs... 50 discs for $7.99 :metal:

jlsanborn 01-17-2014 02:29 PM

That's a score!!

Grizz1963 01-17-2014 04:57 PM

I need to buy some step bits some time.

Ta2Don 01-17-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 6476471)
I need to buy some step bits some time.

don't get in too big a hurry on those bits Mate... May be another BDay box in the post soon!!!:mm:

Cheers Mate!!!

Bomp 01-17-2014 10:13 PM

-Upgraded the bottle
-Roloc Grinding discs
-step bits
-making sparks and knocking things out.
giving me the itch to go shoppin'
The housings around the tail lights look nice, even and smooth.
Glad to see the progress Don.
Great Job.

Modges'66 01-18-2014 12:38 AM

Those tail-lights are gonna be sweet!
Keep up the progress!

Ta2Don 01-19-2014 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the comments and encouraging words Guyz!!! Waiting on friend with Plasma Cutter to help with Taillight Modz...:metal:

Crazy Arkansas Weather, the past week has found the mercury riding a roller coaster, 30's one day, 50's the next...:uhmk: Today Sunny and low 50's, so it was out to the shed to do a bit of routine maintenance on the Boss' DD, a 2012 Accord, and to supervise the boy who changed the oil on his GF's car as well as repair an intermittent rear turn signal, which entailed changing the corroded bulb and cleaning the corroded socket…;)

My friends are the BEST! One has a Plasma Cutter he is willing to bring over for some fender surgery… plus he's giving me his old Pressure Washer (It Leaks)…. Another friend hooked me up with a sander to use until I purchase one… and finally, another hooked me up with a set of Spider Gears for my Daily Driver...:metal:
Recently when replacing a pinion seal, I found one of the gears with a couple of teeth in really bad shape...:eek:
Gotta Clean these up and get them installed, possibly tomorrow if my bud with the lift has an opening for me to tie up his lift for a bit...:mm:

Ta2Don 01-26-2014 11:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My DD will be getting the Spider gears replaced tomorrow, had to wait for the lift to free up…;)

Today saw a bit more progress…:bann:
Borrowed, rented a friend's Plasma Torch, I say rented because now I owe him some Tattoo work...:metal:

I started in on the taillight mods, getting the holes in the fenders cut and ground… Here are some in progress pics… Before, paint ground away and ready to cut, first cut, then smoothed out, a wide shot showing both holes...:metal:

Ta2Don 01-26-2014 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aaargh…. Sideways Pics...:dohh:

Finally, I also began welding up the Driver's Side Inner Fender... Now the Grind, Weld, Repeat, process begins…:metal:

dwcardfan 01-26-2014 11:51 PM

Nice work!!! It is going to look sweet!:metal:

Alan's Classic 01-26-2014 11:57 PM

Very cool. It's nice to watch a persons skills improve. Not only are you a skin artist now your turning into a metal artist. :metal:

Grizz1963 01-27-2014 05:20 AM

Yup. You have big holes in your truck.

Best weld em up fast.

Your parcel in the post this morning.

bj383ss 01-27-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6476211)
Kind of an indirect update today...
Travelling Merchant in town this weekend... Picked up some step drill bits and loads of Roloc Grinding discs... 50 discs for $7.99 :metal:

Don where did you get the roloc discs if you don't mind me asking?

Bret

Ta2Don 01-27-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 6493153)
Don where did you get the roloc discs if you don't mind me asking?

Bret

There was a traveling Merchant that was in town for 3 days… they were set-up at the local National Guard Armory selling all kinds of tools, knives, blankets, and household goods… I've already tossed the advertisement paper and don't recall the name of the outfit… Wish I could be of more help, but that deal of 50 discs for 7.99 was one I couldn't pass up.
I was skeptical of the quality of the discs due to the seriously low price, but after opening the first bag yesterday, I am pleased with the quality, they are just as good as the ones I've purchased from HF… I did notice that there was one that the disc wasn't centered on the pad, but it didn't affect the usage whatsoever. I will be saving my pennies and watching for their next visit… :metal:

Ta2Don 01-27-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan (Post 6492758)
Nice work!!! It is going to look sweet!:metal:

Thanks for the encouragement… Being a newbie to metal work I am learning more and more the importance of patience.;) And after a few practice cuts with the Plasma cutter/torch, then the ease in which I cut the fenders... I must say, I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE!!!:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 6492771)
Very cool. It's nice to watch a persons skills improve. Not only are you a skin artist now your turning into a metal artist. :metal:

Wow!!! Thanks for the kind words, I am truly blessed by them!!!:thumbs:
I am having a blast jumping feet first into the metal work and body work aspect of this project… I have been a fan of numerous car building shows on TV and the Motivation, not to mention the Assistance I've received on this Board, is the reason my project went from…
"I'm gonna drop a motor in and drive," to " I m now gonna do a bunch of modifying and build this truck to be what I envision it can be…"
The best part is, I am having a blast and the Friends I am meeting here is the Icing on the Cake!!! :metal::bann:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 6493058)
Yup. You have big holes in your truck.

Best weld em up fast.

Your parcel in the post this morning.

As soon as I can get some assistance from the young ones and a little cooperation from the weather I will get the buckets welded in and finish up the welding and grinding on the inner fenders...:metal:

THANKS again for the Ashtray and other bits that are now on the way here to the Colonies...:mm: Cheers Mate!

McMurphy 01-27-2014 01:21 PM

Don.... I just contoured my custom emblems this weekend to lay right on my center cowls. I guess I could make a post about it...
Anyways, since they were made from 1/4" aluminum it ended up being pretty easy, tossed them into the oven at 550 degrees until they were toasty hot and had a spare cowl section on the counter (with a towel under it so I would not scratch the counter top) and with some oven mitts I would pull them out of the oven, give them a bit of a bend on the panel surface until they were too cool to manipulate easily.
Toss back into the oven, grab the other one, and repeat until they were where I needed them to be.

Just food for thought when you get yours from Jay if you are not mounting them on a flat surface.

I also put in a request with Jay for a smaller third one for the tailgate.....

Funny how much our builds mirror each other, from initial planning, to tool purchasing, to metal working .....ect :metal: