The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   ''Project '64 SYT Super Yenko Truck" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=331161)

Strodder 10-21-2009 08:42 PM

Re: my 64

Yup with FI it could run out of oil if it is running upside down. :waah:

jgh64pkup 10-21-2009 09:54 PM

so would the first thing to do is check compression?

ruffrida2005 10-21-2009 10:32 PM

Yeah I would do that and see if it's a broke rod. then if you think it's a lifter pull the valve covers.

jgh64pkup 10-21-2009 10:35 PM

there are no lifters its SOHC

joe231 10-21-2009 10:41 PM

And if you had a "broke" rod it wouldn't be ticking, it would be knocking (if it would even run)

if it is a wrist pin, it will be annoying, but should run fine for many miles.

Drive her until she breaks, and swap in another engine ;)

I'm not familar with the ford crap...er, I mean engines....is there anything that is adjustable in the valvetrain?

Something else you can do is pick up an automotive stethoscope and you can narrow down where the noise is coming from. Most tool places have them for under $20

jgh64pkup 10-21-2009 11:01 PM

thank joe no i dont think there is any adjustment in the valvetrain
what would a bent valve do

jgh64pkup 10-27-2009 10:27 PM

might be getting som subs and amp for the ferd im trying to trade the toolbox for them
its 2 kicker competition 12s with individual boxes 1200 watt kicker amp and all the wiring

ChiefRocka 10-28-2009 09:54 AM

Re: ''Project '64 SYT Super Yenko Truck

Ok...now back to the Yenko !!! ;)

joe231 10-28-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3589967)
might be getting som subs and amp for the ferd im trying to trade the toolbox for them
its 2 kicker competition 12s with individual boxes 1200 watt kicker amp and all the wiring

Sounds like a good deal! :thumbs:

jgh64pkup 10-28-2009 01:14 PM

Re: ''Project '64 SYT Super Yenko Truck"

i have to talk to him today about it
thanks john for the title change :thumbs:
oh and back to the yenko
when i get the engine turning above 4 grand it strats blowing oil out of the dipstick and the harmonic balancer seal
i just changed the balacer seal and put a sleeve on it
im thinking its too much crank pressure the only vent i have is the pcv
should i replace the oil cap with a breather?

Strodder 10-28-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3590793)
i have to talk to him today about it
thanks john for the title change :thumbs:
oh and back to the yenko
when i get the engine turning above 4 grand it strats blowing oil out of the dipstick and the harmonic balancer seal
i just changed the balacer seal and put a sleeve on it
im thinking its too much crank pressure the only vent i have is the pcv
should i replace the oil cap with a breather?

Yes maybe 2 ;)

jgh64pkup 10-28-2009 05:07 PM

2 what

Strodder 10-28-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3591093)
2 what

A breather on both valve covers. You really don't need to have a PVC valve. Or you might have too much crankcase pressure caused by blow by. My memory fails me some times. I could be wrong. :uhmk:

lakeroadster 10-28-2009 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not so much the number of the breathers as it is the capacity of the breather and where is is located. Correct crankcase ventilation is really important.

For what it's worth..........................

I built a '72 350 SBC for my fenderless model A and wanted the motor to look like a mid 60's SBC. I used Corvette aluminum finned valve covers and put the oil fill tube in the intake manifold and used a twist on cap.

Basically the motor had no crankcase ventilation.

Shortly after I had it on the road and gave it a few hundred miles to break in the motor I ran it through the gears, shifting it from first to second at about 5000 rpm. In the rear view mirror I saw a ton of smoke. I pulled over at the next opportunity and the Holley mechanical fuel pump had blown a gasket. Ppiston ring blow by pressurized the crankcase.

I installed a large "Moon" breather on the valve cover and installed a pcv valve in the oil filler neck, basically same set-up as they used on late 60's vettes.

Haven't had any problems since.

You can see the "Moon" breather in the photo below.

Strodder 10-28-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 3591272)
It's not so much the number of the breathers as it is the capacity of the breather and where is is located. Correct crankcase ventilation is really important.

I built a '72 350 SBC for my fenderless model A and wanted the motor to look like a mid 60's SBC. I used Corvette aluminum finned valve covers and put the oil fill tube in the intake manifold and used a twist on cap.

Shortly after I had it on the road and gave it a few hundred miles to break in the motor I ran it through the gears, shifting it from first to second at about 5000 rpm. In the rear view mirror I saw a ton of smoke. I pulled over at the next opportunity and the Holley mechanical fuel pump had blown a gasket. This was becasue of piston ring blow by pressurizing the crankcase.

I installed a large "Moon" breather on the valve cover and installed a pcv valve in the oil filler neck, basically same set-up as they used on late 60's vettes.

The older SB's had a breather tube behind the manifold, besides the filler neck tube. PVC's came in later for smog regulations. They wanted the fumes from the crankcase to re burn through the intake.

jgh64pkup 10-28-2009 07:53 PM

so ditch the pcv and put two breathers on it
Damn Chevys :lol:

lakeroadster 10-28-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3591363)
so ditch the pcv and put two breathers on it
Damn Chevys :lol:

Nothing wrong with using the pcv valve.. you just need some additional breathing room.

And those old "breather" tubes meant the blow by oil ended up underneath your car, on your tranny and on the road.

Strodder 10-28-2009 08:02 PM

You can keep the PVC. It does help, but you need more breathing. Make sure you don't have a broken, or stuck piston rings? Try a leak down test also if it doesn't fix the problem.

Strodder 10-28-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 3591377)
Nothing wrong with using the pcv valve.. you just need some additional breathing room.

And those old "breather" tubes meant the blow by oil ended up underneath your car, on your tranny and on the road.

We must have posted at the same time. :lol:

Strodder 10-28-2009 08:06 PM

Sorry for the jacking. This should be on it's own thread.

jgh64pkup 10-28-2009 08:12 PM

its not a thread jacking since i asked about it
if it was a real thread jacking it would have been even better :metal:
i hope i didnt put a ring in wrong that would suck
but it does have new rings
what breather should i go with i want a push in style

dammitmitchell 10-28-2009 08:36 PM

do the compression test first bro..
remember you can always text me and **** dude...

aight..
DO the compression test first..

jgh64pkup 10-28-2009 08:55 PM

dude whats up i havnt talked to you in a while
i have a piece of sh!t in the shop right now and have to put wheel bearings in so far its been a pain in the ace
ill have it done tomorrow
so then ill do a compression test

1964C10 10-28-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 3591272)

Shortly after I had it on the road and gave it a few hundred miles to break in the motor I ran it through the gears, shifting it from first to second at about 5000 rpm. In the rear view mirror I saw a ton of smoke. I pulled over at the next opportunity and the Holley mechanical fuel pump had blown a gasket. This was becasue of piston ring blow by pressurizing the crankcase.

That's a sweet ride John!! Nice work. I like those rims.

ruffrida2005 10-29-2009 10:23 PM

I'm having a like problem. My motor is blowing a lot of oil out the breathers. I went with some taller valve covers do yall think that might help, or should I get the covers that mount over the rockers to stop the oil from blowing out.