The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Not Another Rebuild Thread.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=487100)

Modges'66 10-20-2012 09:45 PM

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Very innovative work dude!
I am always watching! LOL!

McMurphy 10-21-2012 01:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5658310)
very nice work on the vents, i am inpressed:metal:keep up the great work.

Thanks Flips, I hope to finish them up today.... got side tracked yesterday with the decision I needed to start finishing up my dash before I started doing too much more of this finalization work.
More to follow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 5658599)
Very innovative work dude!
I am always watching! LOL!

I always look at your build too, anytime there is an update!!

In case you could not tell in the first photo, these are the speed thread retainer clips I was talking about that I am using to anchor the vent cable to the vent.
Attachment 1001465

This is that same clip welded in. Not engenious, but you know, it works. As you can tell, I spent a lot of time dis-re-assembling bicycles as a kid, that is where all these cable work ideas come from.
Attachment 1001466

This just shows where I placed the hole for the cable access in the kick panel, again nothing spectacular about it, just keep in mind that there is not much tolerance on either side in the vent cavity to work with.
Attachment 1001467

Got the ceiling painted. There was a hole up there where an old style CB antenna was mounted that I had to fill. I have found the JB weld putty to be very body filler friendly, and in over head situations like this, much easier to work with than bondo.
Attachment 1001470

Lastly, the steering wheel was painted and cured, so it was time to take the masking tape off, have a look at the handy work, and then set it aside for later.....
Attachment 1001471

And that was yesterday....on my way down to the garage now to see what I can get done with this day !!

McMurphy 10-21-2012 11:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
In doing this vent mod, I had to assemble and disassemble the set up multiple times. This first photo shows the bottom, inside flange of the vent and I am pointing at the part of it I shaved. These vents were made so they just barely fit into the hole in the kick panel, and while trying to get it in, with the steel cable attached was trying my patience. Shaving this 1/4" here will save you a lot of cussing....
Attachment 1001882

With the cables being brand new, they are not as compliant as older cables are. The cable would pull the vent open, but would flex instead of pushing the vent door closed. To correct this, I used some left over brake line. After this it worked like a charm.
Attachment 1001883

This is just a photo of my vent knobs and dash from the perspective from which I shot the video for Pirate.
Attachment 1001884

This is showing how well I got the knobs to align. I had to make those countoured spacers because the angle behind the dash put the cables in conflict with my heater controls which are going in the empty slot above them.
Attachment 1001885

Finally this was the main motivator for the vent mod. I got rid of the knee knocker E-brake and figured I could mount this one from the donor truck.
Got it in, it seems to work just fine on this end !!!
Attachment 1001886

markeb01 10-22-2012 12:26 AM

I like the idea of having the vent knobs in the center so the driver can operate the passenger side. In the stock configuration the passenger cable knob sits right next to the passenger door and is completely inaccessible to the driver.

Funny all the years I had vents, it never occurred to me to move the cable/knob to where the driver could reach it. Nice upgrade!

CRGRS 66 10-22-2012 10:53 AM

Great job buddy, I will be leaning on you a bit when I get around to this "convenience item".

flips72 10-22-2012 05:17 PM

nice.

piratexpress1369a 10-22-2012 05:35 PM

are you going to put a screen in the vent to keep bug out

McMurphy 10-22-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5660828)
I like the idea of having the vent knobs in the center so the driver can operate the passenger side. In the stock configuration the passenger cable knob sits right next to the passenger door and is completely inaccessible to the driver.

Funny all the years I had vents, it never occurred to me to move the cable/knob to where the driver could reach it. Nice upgrade!

Thank you Mark !

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5661255)
Great job buddy, I will be leaning on you a bit when I get around to this "convenience item".

Well for me it was getting that handle out of the way for the E-brake....

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5661828)
nice.

Thank you too Flips !

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 5661864)
are you going to put a screen in the vent to keep bug out

I wanted to, and I wanted to use the same mesh I got for the grill/hood mods, and my cowl vent behind the windshield wipers, but it was not wide enough. But then with that cowl one, I probably dont need one at the vent end now that you mention it....

Hopefully here is the video you asked for (if I did all this YouTube stuff right ?!?!?)

http://youtu.be/y6rWyVtjFqg

Perhaps someone can tell me how to link YouTube so it shows the video window instead of the url?

Also, some :fb: please...... if I use the liquid graphite lubricant on these cables will it help, or just gum up the work as the lube collects dust and crap?

likaroc13 10-22-2012 11:21 PM

on Youtube, go to Share, Embed, & then click the Options tab under the link...check the box for "Long Link", & then copy/paste the link here

by the way, nice job :metal:

piratexpress1369a 10-23-2012 11:08 AM

thanks mcmurphy that is slick i did not think the cable would be that strong to close the vent ..you have proved me wrong LOL

McMurphy 10-23-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5662626)
on Youtube, go to Share, Embed, & then click the Options tab under the link...check the box for "Long Link", & then copy/paste the link here

by the way, nice job :metal:

Thank you Phillip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 5663223)
thanks mcmurphy that is slick i did not think the cable would be that strong to close the vent ..you have proved me wrong LOL

I too was surprised, once you take the handle off, the vents actually open and close rather freely! All the stiffness is applied by the handles and the handle guides.
Go figure.

Modges'66 10-23-2012 07:57 PM

Cool!
But I was hoping for some narration...Not so much, eh?
Still cool!
I'll probably just make speaker boxes out of mine & add air-cond...Or one-up ya, & rig up some electric actuators! LOL!

chad64chevy 10-23-2012 08:14 PM

nice mod mike!! getting closer to having it ready, since you are doing youtube videos, you need to do one when you get it running!! i'll try and do the same when i get mine running!!

Thank you Phillip for telling us how do upload the youtube videos, that will help out when i get closer

likaroc13 10-23-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5664106)
Thank you Phillip for telling us how do upload the youtube videos, that will help out when i get closer

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5663845)
Thank you Phillip!

no problem, glad to help! just figured it out not long ago myself...Flips72 was trying to figure it out as well, so I decided to do some research

Bomp 10-23-2012 09:24 PM

Like the passenger vent cable but I really like the E-Brake.:metal:

flips72 10-24-2012 05:09 PM

another thanks to likaroc on the you tube info, worked like a charm. let us know what you decide on the tranny member and mount, and again great work on the vents.

McMurphy 10-24-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 5664076)
Cool!
But I was hoping for some narration...Not so much, eh?
Still cool!
I'll probably just make speaker boxes out of mine & add air-cond...Or one-up ya, & rig up some electric actuators! LOL!

Ummmm actions speak louder than words?
Or closer to the truth, I hate the sound of my voice recorded... LOL
Electric actuators, heheheh just wait till I start on my front grill brother, then you are going to see some stuff !!
Promise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5664106)
nice mod mike!! getting closer to having it ready, since you are doing youtube videos, you need to do one when you get it running!! i'll try and do the same when i get mine running!!

The day I fire it up, you betcha !!
Lets see who gets there first, you or I !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5664183)
no problem, glad to help! just figured it out not long ago myself...Flips72 was trying to figure it out as well, so I decided to do some research

Thanks again, you prove once more why this site and the people here are among the best !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5664289)
Like the passenger vent cable but I really like the E-Brake.:metal:

You and I sir, are of the same mind !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5665674)
another thanks to likaroc on the you tube info, worked like a charm. let us know what you decide on the tranny member and mount, and again great work on the vents.

Thank you Flips.
I just hope i posted enough info and pics so that someone else may do this, or be inspired to do something better from it.
Just like you guys inspire me !:metal:

Wow ..... 25 pages on this build of mine.
I am kind of impressed by that.

cdt4307 10-24-2012 11:03 PM

Have been watching this thread for a while, love what you are doing on this build.

McMurphy 10-24-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdt4307 (Post 5666321)
Have been watching this thread for a while, love what you are doing on this build.

Thank you.
I think the best is yet to come, and over all, when all the little side projects pull together into the final product, it will be a true labor of love, and a fine self given retirement gift.

Please stay tuned, I hope to not disappoint !!

Ta2Don 10-25-2012 09:36 AM

Just started checking out your build... Impressed to say the least. Subscribed, and anxiously awaiting future progress. Got to do the vent mods, that is brilliant Sir.

clemdaddy 10-25-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5666751)
Just started checking out your build... Impressed to say the least. Subscribed, and anxiously awaiting future progress. Got to do the vent mods, that is brilliant Sir.

yeah murph... the vents upgrade is a definite on my next one... what a hassle the old pull lever is. they must have designed that on a friday about 4:45 pm.:lol:

JJ's Sierra Grande 10-26-2012 12:33 AM

I've been watching your thread for a while, thought I would throw out my $.02 with regard to your question about liquid graphite. have you considered cable lube like what we use on our throttle and clutch cables on our bikes. Granted initial lubing is a little messy but it sure makes them slide like butter. Just a thought.

McMurphy 10-26-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5666751)

Thanks.... I think brilliant is a stretch though :lol:
I been watching your build since you first posted it on this board, you are rocking some progress !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 5667149)
yeah murph... the vents upgrade is a definite on my next one... what a hassle the old pull lever is. they must have designed that on a friday about 4:45 pm.:lol:

You may be right!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ's Sierra Grande (Post 5668327)
I've been watching your thread for a while, thought I would throw out my $.02 with regard to your question about liquid graphite. have you considered cable lube like what we use on our throttle and clutch cables on our bikes. Granted initial lubing is a little messy but it sure makes them slide like butter. Just a thought.

Never hear of that stuff, know where I could find it?

JJ's Sierra Grande 10-26-2012 02:05 PM

Any motorcycle shop will have it. Pretty sure its available on eBay too. It's actually called "cable lube"
Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

coulter 10-26-2012 02:23 PM

thats pretty sweet what u did with the vents!! i wanna see that dash once its all painted and assembled!!