The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Johns 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=734699)

pdxhall 08-13-2020 11:31 AM

Re: Johns 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8784309)
Well I may not have any bolts to put things back together....but Babe got a new set of shoes today with a lil bling to go with it

Hey John, I bought the same wheels but with the grey spokes. Mine are 17x8. What size did you get and what is the tire size?

Johns 66 08-13-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8791362)
Hey John, I bought the same wheels but with the grey spokes. Mine are 17x8. What size did you get and what is the tire size?

The rear is 5.5" backspacing, and the fronts are 4.5"
front tires are 245/50/20 and the rears are 275/45/20

Johns 66 08-22-2020 08:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I was super excited today....I was going to get the front cradle built, new springs, discs brakes, new ball joints, new bushings etc........Oh Yeah...super excited

My excitement turned to aggravation once I was finished and realized that the upper control arms were on the wrong side:no:

I guess the good thing is I will get practice at taking them back a part and re-installing them the correct way after church tomorrow.

Boy dont I feel like a big ole idiot...lol

roll_the_dice 08-22-2020 10:08 PM

Sorry to hear it! Fortunately all that was done on mine when I bought it!

I had one of those DOH moments a few weeks ago. I put new brake pads on my front discs... I got the drivers side in but struggled and was like..wow that was a pain. Then I did the next side and it went in easy peasy...then I realized I put the clip for one of the pads upside down! Since my truck isn't a driver yet, I waited a few weeks then went back and corrected the upside down clip...I felt like an idiot!

J Williams 08-23-2020 10:53 AM

I am just glad to see I am not the only one who gets finished with something, looks at it with extreme satisfaction..... then notices I did it backwards! At least you noticed it now!

Johns 66 08-23-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Williams (Post 8796628)
I am just glad to see I am not the only one who gets finished with something, looks at it with extreme satisfaction..... then notices I did it backwards! At least you noticed it now!

As they say..Gotta love it.
Got everything swapped over today after church. Definitely looks better now. Also did a lil rattle can touch up whete I marred it up. Gotta remember....not a show truck..lol

Johns 66 08-23-2020 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More gooder now

cwcarpenter98 08-23-2020 11:10 PM

Looks great! Did you put any paint on those spindles? If you haven't, you will probably want to. I didn't on mine and they look like the rest of the 50 year old components just about 5 years after I installed them

aggie91 08-24-2020 11:28 AM

Looks good. I think we all have done something at one time where you stand back proud of what you did and then realize something was wrong...

part of the fun in doing these trucks.

I agree with Christian, get some paint on those spindles!

Johns 66 08-25-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8796986)
Looks great! Did you put any paint on those spindles? If you haven't, you will probably want to. I didn't on mine and they look like the rest of the 50 year old components just about 5 years after I installed them

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8797147)
Looks good. I think we all have done something at one time where you stand back proud of what you did and then realize something was wrong...

part of the fun in doing these trucks.

I agree with Christian, get some paint on those spindles!

I didnt paint them....yet. I was told that after I get about 500 miles on the truck that I would need to re-pack the wheel bearings...so my intent is when I repack the wheel bearing Ill paint them then....probably not smart but i didnt have the heart to take them apart AGAIN right now. I am also gonna paint the calipers, but will paint them before I put lines and fluid to them.

I will say its so nice and rewarding to be taking parts OUT of my parts room ( spare bedroom) instead of putting them in there...I know my beter half sure appreciates it...lol

SCOTI 08-25-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8797627)
I didnt paint them....yet. I was told that after I get about 500 miles on the truck that I would need to re-pack the wheel bearings...so my intent is when I repack the wheel bearing Ill paint them then....probably not smart but i didnt have the heart to take them apart AGAIN right now. I am also gonna paint the calipers, but will paint them before I put lines and fluid to them.

I will say its so nice and rewarding to be taking parts OUT of my parts room ( spare bedroom) instead of putting them in there...I know my beter half sure appreciates it...lol

Paint them now before you hit the road while they're clean & it's easy.

Johns 66 08-29-2020 09:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well got the cradle back together the right way, I did paint the spindles, and got it mounted to the frame.
Cab will come off next week and go to the body shop.
I had a lil help from my nephew Kayden today which is always a blast

roll_the_dice 08-29-2020 09:15 PM

Looks great! Always nice to have enthusiastic help!

Johns 66 08-29-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8800014)
Looks great! Always nice to have enthusiastic help!

For sure, especially when he thinks its his. Much rather have him in the garage instead of in front of a TV. Funny thing is his lil electric truck was dirty and he decided to wash it....luckily it didnt mess up his lil truck

J Williams 08-29-2020 11:25 PM

Haha! That’s awesome, I love it when I get help from my kids. Slows ya down more than it helps but it makes it that much more enjoyable! Truck is looking amazing!

Johns 66 08-30-2020 08:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Lil more progress today after church. My lil helper wasnt there because he had a birthday party to attend...I guess cake and ice cream beat out old truck...lol

Anyways decided to swap the rear axles with the 5 lug axles from CPP.
I had gotten a price to have it done but decided to try it, worst I could do was mess it up and have to take it to the shop.
Well Im glad I did it myself, Randy was there to help which made it better and I have to say that it took me longer to clean off the old gasket material than it did to swap the axles. I was surprised how simple it was.
Took the brakes off the drivers side and got all that cleaned up, and Ill reinstall them this week.
Got the differential cover cleaned up and painted along with the new drums.
Progress seems so good.
As we did this today Randy and I talked about old trucks and working on them, Andy and I have had similar discussions about working on our trucks. I would rather work on my project and see the progress, even though it takes awhile. At least I will know every bolt in the truck, will have memories, big laughs about doing things wrong, and thecsatisfaction of knowing, with Randy's help that we did it. I could have wrote a check for a finished truck and been riding, but wouldnt have had the satisfaction of knowing what we accomplished.
Its the journey, not the destination...in my eyes.

SCOTI 08-30-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8800464)
Lil more progress today after church. My lil helper wasnt there because he had a birthday party to attend...I guess cake and ice cream beat out old truck...lol

Anyways decided to swap the rear axles with the 5 lug axles from CPP.
I had gotten a price to have it done but decided to try it, worst I could do was mess it up and have to take it to the shop.
Well Im glad I did it myself, Randy was there to help which made it better and I have to say that it took me longer to clean off the old gasket material than it did to swap the axles. I was surprised how simple it was.
Took the brakes off the drivers side and got all that cleaned up, and Ill reinstall them this week.
Got the differential cover cleaned up and painted along with the new drums.
Progress seems so good.
As we did this today Randy and I talked about old trucks and working on them, Andy and I have had similar discussions about working on our trucks. I would rather work on my project and see the progress, even though it takes awhile. At least I will know every bolt in the truck, will have memories, big laughs about doing things wrong, and thecsatisfaction of knowing, with Randy's help that we did it. I could have wrote a check for a finished truck and been riding, but wouldnt have had the satisfaction of knowing what we accomplished.
Its the journey, not the destination...in my eyes.

Truth.

roll_the_dice 08-30-2020 11:28 PM

Well said John! I have loved every minute of my journey and I know you have too even if your journey has been crazier than mine. :)

Johns 66 08-30-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8800555)
Well said John! I have loved every minute of my journey and I know you have too even if your journey has been crazier than mine. :)

Part of the journey is meeting some wonderful folks, especially from the board. Especially how most of us help each other whethet parts, tools, advice or simply an ear to vent to.
I know that once ole girl is all gussied up and ready to roll, that we will meet some great folks at shows, cruises or simply riding arpund.
I live on Lake Martin and one of the first place we are gonna go is to the levee blaring American Pie....gotta love it!!!!

pdxhall 08-31-2020 10:44 AM

I'm in total agreement with you. I hate the idea of letting someone else work on my truck. I tried it once with my exhaust and now I'm redoing it because the work done was crap. Besides I learned to weld and fit exhaust pipe. You've got a great project going and I enjoy following your story.

SkinnyG 08-31-2020 12:29 PM

I always say: "I can pay a professional to screw it up, or I can screw it up myself for free!"

The money you would have paid The Man can go towards tools, then the next job is free! Or you can even start making money with them thar tools!

roll_the_dice 08-31-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8800786)
I always say: "I can pay a professional to screw it up, or I can screw it up myself for free!"

The money you would have paid The Man can go towards tools, then the next job is free! Or you can even start making money with them thar tools!

:agree: Well said!

cwcarpenter98 08-31-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Haha, I like that quote!

John, it's looking good! That painted frame sure makes mine look like junk :lol:

Johns 66 09-01-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8800548)
Truth.

As best I can tell it....lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8800555)

Yeah my friend, the stories we are gonna tell once we are all done with our babies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8800706)
I'm in total agreement with you. I hate the idea of letting someone else work on my truck. I tried it once with my exhaust and now I'm redoing it because the work done was crap. Besides I learned to weld and fit exhaust pipe. You've got a great project going and I enjoy following your story.

Well I have messed some stuff up but I guess thats part of the learning experience we all have on these play toys of ours.

Quote:

LOL...When I was in the Marine Corp we used to say it took a college education to break it and a high school education to fix it....the officers certainly didnt like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8800822)
Haha, I like that quote!
John, it's looking good! That painted frame sure makes mine look like junk :lol:

Slowly but sure young Skywalker, Future C10 Jedi Master.

kdad 09-02-2020 11:11 AM

Was great seeing all the progress on the truck John. The Journey is the best part of these builds..