The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Shrunken66Stroker's build thread. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=333241)

sincity64 06-02-2012 09:22 PM

Re: Shrunken66Stroker's build thread.

i finally found time to catch up on your build thread and i gotta say i can see why you are a photographer,you've got a great eye for detail.that's one great truck you are building.

R.A.D 06-02-2012 09:32 PM

That shaft looks a little complicated

shrunken66stroker 06-08-2012 01:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I haven't figured out the steering joint situation yet, but I did get the engine mounts finished. The reason for making my own was to offset the driver's side mount to the rear for clearance of the steering shaft bushing coming through the frame from the rack. I canibalized the CPP mounts for the tube that the Energy Suspension mounts to with a 1/2" bolt. Centered. Full bubble. Burn it in.

hotrod1 06-08-2012 01:44 AM

Looks cool. What about a pic of the mounts installed?

shrunken66stroker 06-08-2012 01:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's the finished product. The top view shows the driver's side offset.
Time for vacation. See yall in a couple weeks. :metal:

shrunken66stroker 06-08-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod1 (Post 5423189)
Looks cool. What about a pic of the mounts installed?

You caught me between post, hotrod. :lol:

Frizzle Fry 06-08-2012 02:15 AM

Those look fantastic! Well played my friend.
Posted via Mobile Device

R.A.D 06-08-2012 07:18 AM

very nice............. enjoy your vacation

ERASER5 06-08-2012 07:56 AM

VACATION! Nooooooooooo! ( head on desk weeping)

shrunken66stroker 06-08-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 5423217)
Those look fantastic! Well played my friend.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Frizzle!

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.A.D (Post 5423297)
very nice............. enjoy your vacation

Oh, I will!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERASER5 (Post 5423317)
VACATION! Nooooooooooo! ( head on desk weeping)

Yep, gotta take the fam and get out of town. :metal:

laynrockers 06-08-2012 10:47 AM

You got serious skills dude.. Keep it up..:metal:

Strodder 06-08-2012 11:45 AM

Looken good Greg. :metal: Have fun on your vacation. Where ya goin?

stepside83 06-08-2012 01:23 PM

cool build i just read all 39 pages took a lil while but this is a great build kepp it up and the pics flowing

shrunken66stroker 06-08-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynrockers (Post 5423527)
You got serious skills dude.. Keep it up..:metal:

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5423592)
Looken good Greg. :metal: Have fun on your vacation. Where ya goin?

Thanks, Dennis. I'm taking the fam to Florida to lay on the beach and maybe go to Disney World. Should be fun witha 3 year old.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stepside83 (Post 5423755)
cool build i just read all 39 pages took a lil while but this is a great build kepp it up and the pics flowing

Thanks. I'm already anxious to get back and work on it and I haven't even left yet.

jhrusk 06-08-2012 04:05 PM

Progress is looking good,Ive been watching this one for a while.Good luck in Fla.My family and I went to Disney in April and it sure was packed but I guess you have to expect that,If I have one piece of advice it is to get there when the parks open in the morning.Be safe.

Dinos63 06-09-2012 03:24 PM

those mounts are trick !! always always such nice work

shrunken66stroker 06-10-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 5425470)
those mounts are trick !! always always such nice work

Thanks Dino. They came out nice but I seriously worked on them for almost two days. I'm slooooowww at this stuff. :waah:

chad64chevy 06-10-2012 12:10 PM

the truck is looking good! when you leave for vacation??

shrunken66stroker 06-10-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5426724)
the truck is looking good! when you leave for vacation??

Thanks. Mentally I'm already there. :lol:

R.A.D 06-10-2012 06:54 PM

i thought you were...........

daverod 06-11-2012 12:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Did you leave yet?:lol: It's all clear lets jack this thread.:lol: Have fun on vaca.:smoke:

Strodder 06-11-2012 09:56 AM

Hijack???????? How shocking would that be? :haha: :haha:
http://belair.smugmug.com/Family/Rip...03_6dT4S-L.jpg

R.A.D 06-11-2012 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:lol:

theastronaut 10-01-2012 12:59 PM

Shrunken, I'm going to be using an LS2 and No Limit's R&P on my '66. Do you think there would be any interference issues with notching the crossmember to drop the engine/trans lower?

From this pic it looks like there's room for maybe a couple inches? I imagine that it would be tough fitting headers around the frame rails if it was dropped any more. Thanks in advance.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1339134485

wutnxt 10-01-2012 01:06 PM

Dude...
As always great work....one of the best 64-66 threads there is....you have great vision

hotrod1 10-01-2012 01:12 PM

move the engine back to get away from the cross member and get a different pan. Better weight distribution and center of gravity. You will need to deal with your firewall though.

Autokraft has a nice pan for an LS. http://www.autokraft.org/products/

chad64chevy 10-01-2012 08:08 PM

wow its been almost 4 months since we got an update, he must be busy taking pictures or forgot about us!!!

McMurphy 10-01-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5623712)
wow its been almost 4 months since we got an update, he must be busy taking pictures or forgot about us!!!

Probably just now cooling off in Nevada enough so he can touch it. Last time we saw it, it was all brushed steel yes?

R.A.D 10-06-2012 07:14 PM

damn i hope everything is alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shrunken66stroker 10-09-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 5622869)
Shrunken, I'm going to be using an LS2 and No Limit's R&P on my '66. Do you think there would be any interference issues with notching the crossmember to drop the engine/trans lower?

From this pic it looks like there's room for maybe a couple inches? I imagine that it would be tough fitting headers around the frame rails if it was dropped any more. Thanks in advance.

Astronaut, the problems I see with lowering the engine might be prohibitive. Ultimately it's up to you but here goes. You'll have to custom fab the engine mounts and headers or cut the frame rail to squeeze headers in. You will have to get a shallower pan than the "muscle car swap" pan I have, which is about flush with the bottom of the crossmember. The f-body pan should work. I don't have the accessory drive yet, so that's a variable that I can't give you any insight on.

Notching the cross member won't be a problem, you just need to leave enough room to get to the nuts to tighten the rack mounting plate inside the crossmember. You might have to reroute the brake lines that run along the rear of the crossmember. Also, address the usuals stuff like drive shaft angle, length and shifter location. A couple inches probably won't affect flow between the block and radiator, right?

And after all of that, when you're done the engine compartment might look half empty. I don't know if it's worth the trouble, honestly. You're already taking a ton of weight off the front end with aluminum block, heads and no boat anchor steering box. Are you planning on racing autocross with it? If you are, go for it. If it's a street truck then I wouldn't bother with an inch or two either way. I hope this ramble helps. Good luck!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1339134485

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5622884)
Dude...
As always great work....one of the best 64-66 threads there is....you have great vision

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod1 (Post 5622894)
move the engine back to get away from the cross member and get a different pan. Better weight distribution and center of gravity. You will need to deal with your firewall though.

Yes, good advice. If you move it back more than two inches the fire wall will need to be addressed.

Autokraft has a nice pan for an LS. http://www.autokraft.org/products/

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5623712)

I've been lurking a little and definitely didn't forget. I haven't gotten much done over the summer because I've been busy with work and family. Business is getting better... Finally!

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5624244)
Probably just now cooling off in Nevada enough so he can touch it. Last time we saw it, it was all brushed steel yes?

And it still is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.A.D (Post 5632524)
damn i hope everything is alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All good, just trying to pay some bills. Thanks, guys.

ERASER5 10-09-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 5636873)
All good, just trying to pay some bills. Thanks, guys.

Paying bils! Are you maskerading as a responsible adult or something? :lol::lol:

montoya22 10-09-2012 12:28 PM

cant wait to see it when its done.. what kinda wire are you welding with?? i been doing some welding with my flux but it seem to be burning the metal .. any advice would help.. thank and keep working hard

61 son of a Gun 10-09-2012 01:05 PM

GREAT build !

theastronaut 10-09-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 5636873)
Astronaut, the problems I see with lowering the engine might be prohibitive. Ultimately it's up to you but here goes. You'll have to custom fab the engine mounts and headers or cut the frame rail to squeeze headers in. You will have to get a shallower pan than the "muscle car swap" pan I have, which is about flush with the bottom of the crossmember. The f-body pan should work. I don't have the accessory drive yet, so that's a variable that I can't give you any insight on.

Notching the cross member won't be a problem, you just need to leave enough room to get to the nuts to tighten the rack mounting plate inside the crossmember. You might have to reroute the brake lines that run along the rear of the crossmember. Also, address the usuals stuff like drive shaft angle, length and shifter location. A couple inches probably won't affect flow between the block and radiator, right?

And after all of that, when you're done the engine compartment might look half empty. I don't know if it's worth the trouble, honestly. You're already taking a ton of weight off the front end with aluminum block, heads and no boat anchor steering box. Are you planning on racing autocross with it? If you are, go for it. If it's a street truck then I wouldn't bother with an inch or two either way. I hope this ramble helps. Good luck!

Glad to see that all is well with you, and thanks for the detailed reply! It'll be a street truck that will occasionally see autocross action. Most of the things you listed will be things I'll be doing anyways (my own engine mounts and brake lines, move shifter forward, aftermarket baffled oil pan) so it may not be that much more work other than the headers and chopping the crossmember. I'd like to keep the stock low hump floor if possible so dropping the engine would help gain clearance for the T56. Rob at No Limit posted that guys do extra work to lower the engine even fractions of an inch when possible for track cars so 1-2 inches should be worth the extra work.

This is definitely one of my favorite build threads, can't wait to see what's next with it!

shrunken66stroker 10-09-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 5637800)
Glad to see that all is well with you, and thanks for the detailed reply! It'll be a street truck that will occasionally see autocross action. Most of the things you listed will be things I'll be doing anyways (my own engine mounts and brake lines, move shifter forward, aftermarket baffled oil pan) so it may not be that much more work other than the headers and chopping the crossmember. I'd like to keep the stock low hump floor if possible so dropping the engine would help gain clearance for the T56. Rob at No Limit posted that guys do extra work to lower the engine even fractions of an inch when possible for track cars so 1-2 inches should be worth the extra work.

This is definitely one of my favorite build threads, can't wait to see what's next with it!

No problem! After 5 years it's hard to know when to draw the line and move on in the name of driving it again some day, hopefully soon. I'm just a weekend warrior and I've used this project to teach myself everything about the rebuild process. When it's finished I will have done 100% of the work, so I want it to be dialed in. That said, I'm done moving the engine around and need to move forward. I need to get the accessory drive, radiator and some other misc. parts and get back to it. I'll post any progress I make and follow yours as well.

daverod 02-22-2013 07:44 PM

We really do need a update....

R.A.D 02-22-2013 09:48 PM

i second that

bubbalou65 03-22-2013 09:40 AM

Been looking thru the thread. Everything is looking great. I just saw that you pulled the front fender back 2in. I am doing the same thing just never saw anyone do it. Always thought that front needed to come back. I havn't done mine yet so now I have a visual. Thanks. Also what are the tire sizes on the front. I know they are 17's but I like the side wall height on yours and im getting my wheels next week. Thanks for all the info with this build.

bubbalou65 03-22-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 4953941)
Thanks Jason. Good to see you back.

Thanks French. Go Ducks!

Thanks Dino!

A little trip the the ER with an ulcer has been keeping me down recently. I'm felt good enough to roll it out and take some picks today before I cleaned the garage.

love the grill. I am using the same one on mine. It was a freebie ta boot. looks great.

shrunken66stroker 03-25-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5906182)
We really do need a update....

Argh. Been too busy to work on it, but the weather's nice and I'm going to get back out there soon. My wife bought me a small hydraulic lift for Christmas and I haven't even gotten a chance to use it yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.A.D (Post 5906473)
i second that

It will be back on the front burner soon. I promise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbalou65 (Post 5963346)
Been looking thru the thread. Everything is looking great. I just saw that you pulled the front fender back 2in. I am doing the same thing just never saw anyone do it. Always thought that front needed to come back. I havn't done mine yet so now I have a visual. Thanks. Also what are the tire sizes on the front. I know they are 17's but I like the side wall height on yours and im getting my wheels next week. Thanks for all the info with this build.

Thanks, Bubba. Yes, 17x8 and the tires are 235/55/17 Toyo Proxes.
There will be updates sooooon..I hope.