The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

72BlckButy 11-17-2011 08:28 AM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Lookin' good; can't wait for an outside shot. :D

gringoloco 11-17-2011 11:05 AM

Thanks everyone! Happy with how these turned out :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5014040)
So is the 5.5" BS on the rear wheels good?
Or would you change that,... if it was possible?
(as in ordering billet wheels to the exact specs)

I don't think I would change a thing- at this ride height. Could prolly use a little more BS to air-out without dirtying the sidewall, but would then have issues rubbing on the inside of the tubs. So, the solution becomes widen tubs, or mini-tub like the 'Lucy mod' for clearance when tucked. I would personally do the 'Lucy', as they would look too 'sucked in' w/ more BS, unless running a narrowed front track width, ala Dropmember. 5.5 is a good compromise for clearance on both sides and looks good too. Could prolly do a bit more up front, like 5.5, but then you start losing the 'fat lip' and start looking too much like a late model wheel :barf:

All that to say- I wouldn't change it :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5014587)
Lookin' good; can't wait for an outside shot. :D

Hopefully later today- I drove 'er to work this morn. Feels like a different truck- thanks for the tire advice :chevy:

denny5625 11-17-2011 11:24 AM

Man, those look awesome! Great job.

BB72CHEVKT 11-17-2011 02:25 PM

It should be a nice sunny day in Shreveport today for some outside pics. Just sayin.

67cheby 11-17-2011 02:40 PM

ya...what he said

big_al_71 11-17-2011 03:25 PM

Looks awesome!!!!!

thor 11-17-2011 04:03 PM

Sa-weet! Time for cruising pics? :D

RatRod68 11-17-2011 04:54 PM

Oh. My. Goodness. If i wasn't keeping the smoothies on mine, these would definitely be the wheel of choice.

lolife99 11-17-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5014792)
I don't think I would change a thing- at this ride height. Could prolly use a little more BS to air-out without dirtying the sidewall, but would then have issues rubbing on the inside of the tubs. So, the solution becomes widen tubs, or mini-tub like the 'Lucy mod' for clearance when tucked. I would personally do the 'Lucy', as they would look too 'sucked in' w/ more BS, unless running a narrowed front track width, ala Dropmember. 5.5 is a good compromise for clearance on both sides and looks good too. Could prolly do a bit more up front, like 5.5, but then you start losing the 'fat lip' and start looking too much like a late model wheel :barf:

All that to say- I wouldn't change it :lol:

Thank you for the detailed reply.
This is the kind of "wheel offset" info that helps everyone looking to buy wheels.
You also took a cool wheel and made it so much better!
Love your truck.

gringoloco 11-17-2011 07:20 PM

Too bad I missed the sun, but caught the sunset for a min...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...8/ff770390.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 11-17-2011 07:41 PM

Awesome

Alvin 11-17-2011 07:43 PM

That'll do pig, that'll do.

:metal:

Bennett68C10 11-17-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5015638)
Awesome

I agree, simply awesome
Posted via Mobile Device

Rochlow 11-17-2011 08:47 PM

Looks great!! No worries on me doing these wheels. With a 10" wheel and 5.5 backspacing it doesn't look like it will fit on a bagged blazer.

gringoloco 11-17-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochlow (Post 5015790)
Looks great!! No worries on me doing these wheels. With a 10" wheel and 5.5 backspacing it doesn't look like it will fit on a bagged blazer.

Between trucks and blazers, axles are the same width, tubs are the same, bedsides are the same- you should be ok. I had 20x10 coys w/ 5.5 BS on my '72 blazer- bagged and c-notched, they fit well. Check out how to ruin a blazer for pics...
Posted via Mobile Device

Rochlow 11-17-2011 09:33 PM

Actually have that tread saved and refer to it alot. My issue was my blazer is converted 4wd (leafspring rear). I know that I'm going to have to raise the rear tubs and trim the sheetmetal were it mounts inner fender and bedside meet together.

I did some measuring the upper most bolt on the outside closest to the bed with a plumb bob. I measured 4.5". between that point and outside of the bed was maybe another 1.5" So it's possible, but looks to be really tight.

I keep refer to you and lolife99 on wheel measurement.. I will have to take some pictures of my measurements and post them up.

gringoloco 11-17-2011 10:05 PM

Thanks a lot to everyone who posted positive comments :D The truck is transformed; it steers and handles better, rides better, is quieter, and looks much mo' betta- not only to us truck nuts, but also to the gawking people I found when I left Subway today...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochlow (Post 5015872)
Actually have that tread saved and refer to it alot. My issue was my blazer is converted 4wd (leafspring rear). I know that I'm going to have to raise the rear tubs and trim the sheetmetal were it mounts inner fender and bedside meet together.

I did some measuring the upper most bolt on the outside closest to the bed with a plumb bob. I measured 4.5". between that point and outside of the bed was maybe another 1.5" So it's possible, but looks to be really tight.

I keep refer to you and lolife99 on wheel measurement.. I will have to take some pictures of my measurements and post them up.

Mine was 4wd/leaf at first, too. I used the 4wd axle when I converted to trailing arms, just welded on new saddles. It was the same dimensionally as a 2wd rear, just without the cast panhard mount. Trimming the inner bedside is the 'Lucy mod' I referred to- check out N2Billet's red '68 for details- you may be able to get away without it though, depending on how low you are.

Please post up pics of your measurements and let me know when you do- I'd be more than happy to help you get the wheels you want mounted up on that sweet Blazer, so I can live vicariously through you :chevy:

gringoloco 11-17-2011 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Crappy backdrop, but I had to capitalize on what small amount of daylight I had access to. I need bigger brakes- and to re-align my fender trim...

Rochlow 11-17-2011 11:18 PM

Sounds pretty much like everything I've done or am going to do. A dropmember is on the way along with all the other goodies.. (that stuff will go on it if it doesn't sell. If it does there is a certain crewcab I'm looking at)

I think I might order one of the showwheels and see how it mounts up in the back. Worst case I'm out $200.

Thanks for all the help. Your truck looks awesome! Everything is spot on! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5015932)
Thanks a lot to everyone who posted positive comments :D The truck is transformed; it steers and handles better, rides better, is quieter, and looks much mo' betta- not only to us truck nuts, but also to the gawking people I found when I left Subway today...

Mine was 4wd/leaf at first, too. I used the 4wd axle when I converted to trailing arms, just welded on new saddles. It was the same dimensionally as a 2wd rear, just without the cast panhard mount. Trimming the inner bedside is the 'Lucy mod' I referred to- check out N2Billet's red '68 for details- you may be able to get away without it though, depending on how low you are.

Please post up pics of your measurements and let me know when you do- I'd be more than happy to help you get the wheels you want mounted up on that sweet Blazer, so I can live vicariously through you :chevy:

Slick67 11-17-2011 11:35 PM

Let's see. You have sweet, then there is sick, but then there is retarded. You're truck is freakin sweet sickness with a retarted twist!!!!:metal: This is what we all want even if we don't admit it. Shiney is cool but the old original style barnfind look with updated wheels is where it's at. Perfect blend.....

VA72C10 11-17-2011 11:37 PM

Looks great! Looks like the wheels tuck in more than the other picture showed. Very nice!!!

71Sleeper 11-18-2011 01:35 AM

I probably sit and stare at your truck more than any other on these build threads....I can so see my truck looking like yours....I have all my suspension connecting points just need the drop spindles and springs now....I have been debating to put new paint on or run it as is with the faded look, but that debate is over looking at yours I just love the look...I hope you don't mind but you have some many things done to you truck, that I have put on my to do list on mine.

mcbassin 11-18-2011 01:35 AM

Thanks for the new pics! It looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

gringoloco 11-18-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochlow (Post 5016068)
Sounds pretty much like everything I've done or am going to do. A dropmember is on the way along with all the other goodies.. (that stuff will go on it if it doesn't sell. If it does there is a certain crewcab I'm looking at)

I think I might order one of the showwheels and see how it mounts up in the back. Worst case I'm out $200.

Thanks for all the help. Your truck looks awesome! Everything is spot on! :metal:

Thanks! Sounds like you have good parts en route. I miss my DM Blazer... Maybe try a Percy's Wheel-Rite tool- they're expensive for what you get, but there will be no question what BS you need...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick67 (Post 5016130)
Let's see. You have sweet, then there is sick, but then there is retarded. You're truck is freakin sweet sickness with a retarted twist!!!!:metal: This is what we all want even if we don't admit it. Shiney is cool but the old original style barnfind look with updated wheels is where it's at. Perfect blend.....

Haha- this comment just made my day!
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5016135)
Looks great! Looks like the wheels tuck in more than the other picture showed. Very nice!!!

They do- plenty of clearance for turning/tucking
Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Sleeper (Post 5016377)
I probably sit and stare at your truck more than any other on these build threads....I can so see my truck looking like yours....I have all my suspension connecting points just need the drop spindles and springs now....I have been debating to put new paint on or run it as is with the faded look, but that debate is over looking at yours I just love the look...I hope you don't mind but you have some many things done to you truck, that I have put on my to do list on mine.

Thanks a lot! No worries- I do the same thing- many of the mods you see here were someone else's idea before mine...
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5016380)
Thanks for the new pics! It looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! :chevy:

BACKYARD88 11-18-2011 10:07 AM

Lookin good Mang!:D